SuperMoto Junkie banner

WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison

454K views 432 replies 195 participants last post by  Metal Supermang 
#1 ·
Ok, now that I am out of the hospital I am going to do my comparion of the two bikes that I own/owned.
The Yamaha is mine since I have owned since new and the Suzuki I will be using is the first one I had, which I owned from new as well. My neighbor currently owns it so I know the interim history.

Here is my simple plan do just give folks some ideas and answer some questions. I am not trying to start a flame war, so please I would like to avoid that. I just happen to have owned both and ridden both on a track(soon).

I am not a pro rider by any means, but an intermediate.

Here is my plan for the comparison, which will be limited in scope, cash and instrumented results, i.e I am not dynoing the bikes. But I will stopwatch a few simple tests.

1. Photo the bikes from all sides, next to each other.
2. List of mods done to each bike.
3. Weight from two different types of scales on each bike.
4. Gas mileage
5. 0-60 time
6. My impession on a street ride.
7. My track day impression at Adams, dirt section included. Probably timed and me as the control rider.
8. A list of what I feel in my opinion only, what are the pro's and con's of each machine relative only to the other.
9. Cost of ownership and modifications.

This will be a big project for me while I am working on getting my health better. If you can think of something SIMPLE and valuable to this comparison, please let me know. Thank you.

My plan is to have nice complete results posted here within 2.5 weeks. With a little searching on here, you can see what I have done already, but the plan is now to do something a little more direct and hands on.

Besides, you will probably get something really good outta SMR anyways. :thumbup:

See less See more
#68 ·
That the pegs are too low for much fun? :lol:

Just messing with you. Glad you're enjoying the bike and thanks for the comparison. I plopped my buttocks on a WR250X last weekend at the dealer but can't yet get around my desire for an SM610 for longer distance rides and a bit more punch.

#70 ·
i have no idea. hahah, i cant wheelie, but i can stoppie. i can drag knee in a parking lot. ive been to 5 supermoto track days and raced cars, autocross, for years. been riding for 18 years. so, intermediate?

the bike needs lots of throttle to jump well, that is my other comparison. and the stock tires on the WRX are waaaayyyyyy better than the stock tires on the DRZ!

#74 ·
ITS OFFICIAL. i weighed the WRX finally at a decent scale. 288 pounds with half tank of gas. In a month or so when I have a different exhaust I will weigh it again.

288 as ridden.

#78 ·
if your strongbad, i get to be the Cheat!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha, i love that cartoon!!!

my track psi was 26lbs front and rear HOT on the stock tires, if anyone wants to know. and i can give you my sag, preload, rebound and compression settins if anyone wants as well.......

#79 ·
DRZ SM with full aftermarket exhaust 311lbs
WRX with lots of stuff stripped off 288lbs

for the WRX being lighter by 23lbs.

Anyone know where I can get the DOT race Bridgestone bt-090-pro's at reliably?? the wrx using a 140/70 rear tire is gonna be a killer to replace. ugh.

#83 ·
thank you for not calling me a liar or idiot for weighing a drz out at 311 lbs. smiley face or not. =)

I now need to make up a chart that shows what i consider to be the winner of all the different catagories.

Then it's just like the books you loved as a kid, "Choose your own Adventure"!!

#88 ·
as far as the track, i think i would like the -1t front sprocket the R enduro model has. im kind of in between gears certain places at the track i go to.

suspension takes some fiddling to get it right, i dont think the adjustments are perfect out of the box. i am also very light at 130lbs and i would like it stiffer than it is. and lowered.

BUUUTTTTT, i still carry more corner speed than i did on the DRZ and have faster lap times by almost 3 seconds around Adams.

Here are some pics of the dyno run from yesterday.
32hp at the rear wheel in 6th, almost off the rev limiter and 26.6hp in 4th gear at 9000rpm or so.

max tourque of 16.79 looks to happen around 8,200 rpm.

SO REV IT!!!!!!! haha

#274 ·
Here are some pics of the dyno run from yesterday.
32hp at the rear wheel in 6th, almost off the rev limiter and 26.6hp in 4th gear at 9000rpm or so.

max tourque of 16.79 looks to happen around 8,200 rpm.

SO REV IT!!!!!!! haha
I havn't read through this whole thread yet, so if this has been said already I appologize!

I don't want anyone to be misled by the numbers posted on the dyno sheet. Do you see that spike in HP and torque when he shifted into 6th gear on the dyno sheet? The rider 'slipped' the clutch, he got back on the gas before the clutch was fully disengaged, this caused the spike and is not a real indication of HP or torque, he should have deleted that run.

The numbers you got from the 4th gear roll on are a much better indication of actual power. :thumbup:

The lil 250 does NOT make 32HP at the wheel.

#89 ·
My Final Accoutning

This is all subjective and my personal opinion, so take it for what you want based on my experiences with both bikes and riding in general.

Appearance/Fit/Finish/Styling
DRZ=1 WRX=3
Weight
DRZ=1 WRX=3
Modifications
DRZ=3 WRX=1
Gas Mileage
DRZ=3 WRX=2
Street Riding
DRZ=2 WRX=2
Freeway Riding
DRZ=2 WRX=2
Track Time at Adams Kart Track
DRZ=1 WRX=3
Ease of Oil Change
DRZ=2 WRX=3
Valve Adjustment Intervals
DRZ=2 WRX=3
Horsepower/Torque
DRZ=3 WRX=2
Comfort/Vibration
DRZ=2 WRX=3

TOTAL POINTS AWARDED
DRZ=22 WXR=27

Judging Criteria for each catergory were:
Horsepower/Torque-who made what relative to engine size
Vavle Adjustment Interval-greater length between reccomended services
Ease of Oil Change-least amount of steps and things to fiddle with
Track Time-fastest lap wins
Freeway-looking at passing power, gearing, vibration and ultimate top speed
Street Riding-Ease of flicking it around, seat height, quickness from stop light, gassing it up, on-off throttle response, noise levels
Gas Mileage-better mpg equals more points
Weight-ligher is better
Modifications-which model has the most available right now
Appearance-which model is fresher looking and gets the most comments from strangers about how good it looks

Things I DIDN'T look at where stunting, resale, insurance, initial costs, availability and such.

CONCLUSION-If you are on the fence, I would suggest you get the WRX with these caveats, 1. If you are a 'big guy' I would get the DRZ 2. If the first thing you think about is outright 'power' when wanting to compare the two, get the DRZ. Other than that, I would say buy the Yamaha and love it!!

#289 ·

This is all subjective and my personal opinion, so take it for what you want based on my experiences with both bikes and riding in general.

Appearance/Fit/Finish/Styling
DRZ=1 WRX=3
Weight
DRZ=1 WRX=3
Modifications
DRZ=3 WRX=1
Gas Mileage
DRZ=3 WRX=2
Street Riding
DRZ=2 WRX=2
Freeway Riding
DRZ=2 WRX=2
Track Time at Adams Kart Track
DRZ=1 WRX=3
Ease of Oil Change
DRZ=2 WRX=3
Valve Adjustment Intervals
DRZ=2 WRX=3
Horsepower/Torque
DRZ=3 WRX=2
Comfort/Vibration
DRZ=2 WRX=3

TOTAL POINTS AWARDED
DRZ=22 WXR=27

Judging Criteria for each catergory were:
Horsepower/Torque-who made what relative to engine size
Vavle Adjustment Interval-greater length between reccomended services
Ease of Oil Change-least amount of steps and things to fiddle with
Track Time-fastest lap wins
Freeway-looking at passing power, gearing, vibration and ultimate top speed
Street Riding-Ease of flicking it around, seat height, quickness from stop light, gassing it up, on-off throttle response, noise levels
Gas Mileage-better mpg equals more points
Weight-ligher is better
Modifications-which model has the most available right now
Appearance-which model is fresher looking and gets the most comments from strangers about how good it looks

Things I DIDN'T look at where stunting, resale, insurance, initial costs, availability and such.

CONCLUSION-If you are on the fence, I would suggest you get the WRX with these caveats, 1. If you are a 'big guy' I would get the DRZ 2. If the first thing you think about is outright 'power' when wanting to compare the two, get the DRZ. Other than that, I would say buy the Yamaha and love it!!

Made it into a more read-able table, rowdy let me know if you want me to add anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.