WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison

Default WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison

Ok, now that I am out of the hospital I am going to do my comparion of the two bikes that I own/owned.
    The Yamaha is mine since I have owned since new and the Suzuki I will be using is the first one I had, which I owned from new as well. My neighbor currently owns it so I know the interim history.

Here is my simple plan do just give folks some ideas and answer some questions. I am not trying to start a flame war, so please I would like to avoid that. I just happen to have owned both and ridden both on a track(soon).

I am not a pro rider by any means, but an intermediate.

Here is my plan for the comparison, which will be limited in scope, cash and instrumented results, i.e I am not dynoing the bikes. But I will stopwatch a few simple tests.

1. Photo the bikes from all sides, next to each other.
    2. List of mods done to each bike.
    3. Weight from two different types of scales on each bike.
    4. Gas mileage
    5. 0-60 time
    6. My impession on a street ride.
    7. My track day impression at Adams, dirt section included. Probably timed and me as the control rider.
    8. A list of what I feel in my opinion only, what are the pro's and con's of each machine relative only to the other.
    9. Cost of ownership and modifications.

This will be a big project for me while I am working on getting my health better. If you can think of something SIMPLE and valuable to this comparison, please let me know. Thank you.

My plan is to have nice complete results posted here within 2.5 weeks. With a little searching on here, you can see what I have done already, but the plan is now to do something a little more direct and hands on.

Besides, you will probably get something really good outta SMR anyways.
    http://www.ginasticanatural.com Fitness training like you've never seen before. Private training in San Diego.
    www.rowdystyle.blogspot.com A good read about a rowdy life.
    08 WR250X & 05 GSXR600 & 07C3

Advertisement

That is great i look forward to the results and i hope you get healthy fast

Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
    If you can think of something SIMPLE and valuable to this comparison, please let me know.
    Maybe a comparo of simple maintenance items, like oil filter access, spark plug ease of changing, air filter access, chain adjustment etc...

Might not be a whole lot of difference between the two, but I have a feeling these questions will be asked...
    The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Good to hear your out of the Hospital!!! I'm looking forward to the write-up!!!

Thank you for the idea about maintenance. I will compare then filter costs, ease and location as well as a quick comparison of scheduled maintenence. That is a good idea.

Please, now that I have a good plan give me about 2 weeks to make it all happen and be on here.
    http://www.ginasticanatural.com Fitness training like you've never seen before. Private training in San Diego.

Quick question, which sumo would be better for a short rider. I'm 5'4 with a 29inch inseam, your answer would help me choose which bike to get.
    Angelo

Also, good to hear your out of the hosp.

Ill be watching this for sure. Im currently planning on getting my first sumo mid to late summer and was leaning tward the drz due to my size (5'11" and 200lbs) and the fact it comes with 17s. But this new yamaha is looking good too. Although Im still probably going to go for the drz due to the fact of being able to find one used.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs2k View Post
    Quick question, which sumo would be better for a short rider. I'm 5'4 with a 29inch inseam, your answer would help me choose which bike to get.
    Angelo

Also, good to hear your out of the hosp.

The 250 has a shorter seat height. My wife sat on one at the bike show and preferred its height to my DR-Z400SM. She's 5'8" and can just touch with her tippy-toes on my DR-Z.

I'm looking forward to the comparison and am glad to hear you're doing better Rowdy. Thanks for doing this. I can't believe none of the magazines have done the comparison test yet.

Awesome, can't wait to read your comparison.

Looking foward to seeing the results and comparison, thanks for doing the dirty work
    Get well soon
    have wr250x ordered, still waiting to pick it up.
    in the UK it comes in black, don't know why it only comes in blue in the USA

the WR250X is 1/2" shorter in real seat height. if you are short, get the wr250x for the confidence in feet on the ground.

i love the black of the euro model!! I wanted that color badly. the team yamaha blue is growing on me though as well.

We get black here in Canada as well according to Yamaha's website.

Preliminary measurements

Seat height as measured, the WR250X is .75" TALLER!!!!!!!!! I was way suprised! This is not what I thought. New suspension vrs 3 year old suspension? Seat foam compression? I don't know..... Subjectilvey I feel like I fit better on the WRX.... But the tape measure says it should be otherwise.

The lowest point on the seat to the bar is identical.

From the bar to the foot peg is 2" further on the WRX. But I have aftermarket YZ high bend protapers, drz had stock bars.

Footpeg to ground the WRX was 1/2" taller than than the DRZ. Again, I now have aftermarket YZ footpegs now on too.... stock it might still be the same. maybe 1/4" difference.

Handlebar to Ground is 3" higher on my WRX than on the drz. I chalk it up to the narrow high style of the WRX versus of lower longer style of the drz.

So that is the initial size comparison of real numbers, not the spec chart and not just what I "feel".

DRZ has a lower seat height as our two suspesnions were set up (him stock and mine 2 clicks firmere on every adjustment), WRX is a little roomier in the cockpit.

Here is a crap load of pics side by side and such. This week coming up will be weighing them on the same scale, same time and maintenance cost comparisons.

Next week will be the track ride comparison!!

Was the free sag equal on both bikes when you did the seat height comparison?

www.MotoHose.com
    Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!

Nope, i measured as each rider had it set up. His was soft, mine was cranked up. I count the difference up to that now...

My statement about the black 250X being available in Canada is false. I saw a pic of a black one from a Canadian bike show but according to Yamaha Canada's website, we only get the blue bike.

Thanks for the info, I was already to ask you to recomend a Canadian dealer for the plastics, I e mailed a UK dealer, will have to wait to see what comes of it.

good info so far...i think that this thread should be sticky'd for newbs!
    David
    2006 CRF450X SM White n Black
    2006 Honda VFR800 25th
    2007 Nissan Titan
    www.friendlyyamaha.com

Do you still recommend the wrx for newbs?

Yes, 100% I would reccomend the wrx for new riders! It really is worth the extra few hundred bucks!!

now if they could come in the all black fairing... I'm sure they will come out with a low seat option, or I can hack the stock one down.

All white dawg!
    David
    2006 Honda VFR800 25th
    2007 Nissan Titan
    www.friendlyyamaha.com

Remember that the WR has an adjustable hight shock.
    You can adjust the length of the shock via the shock clevis.
    This can adjust the seat height without effecting the shock pre-load seattings.

I spent two days on the WR already
    Defunct: SuperMoto Racer magazine
    Part time Blogger: www.motocross.com

Tell me more SMR! PM if you wish....

Top Speed testing today of the two bikes. I am 130lbs and 5'6".

WR250X = 94mph

DRZ400SM =103mph

These are with stock tires and as indicated run on the same stretch of 15S within one hour of each other in the afternoon today.

Freeway cruising
    75mph in 6th on the WR feels like 85mph in 5th on the DRZ. i call it a draw on freeway cruising...

Wednesday will be weighing them on the same scale.

I've been up to 80 mph indicated. It feels much happier at 70-75 (mile high altitude).
    Re: Weight How much do you think the CA emissions equipment adds?

R&F

It carries 2 to 3 extra lbs due to the emmissions. well, not mine as I removed all but the catalytic converter. and that will come out with the pipe swap next month!

i am at sea level. and yeah, 75 is a better cruising speed for it. today i was in 5th at 60mph when i shifted into 6th getting on the freeway.

103 on a drz? nice....
    David
    2006 Honda VFR800 25th
    2007 Nissan Titan
    www.friendlyyamaha.com

I wonder how it will sound with a new pipe. I hope it wont be too high pitched like other <250cc.

Another difference between the two
    WR250X=Premium Gas ONLY
    DRZ400SM=regular Gasoline

so save you a bit of coin...but stock to stock, the WRX seems to be getting 40-45mpg while the DRZ i got the same...modded the DRZ slipped down to 30-35mpg

Dash and instrumentation:

Daylight visibility-Better on the WRX. Cool color blue at night as well. WRX also has the front turn signals wired as drl's, so better visibility hopefully to the cagers.

Ease of use-They both are too horribly 'enduro' style complex. Both are a pain and not intuitive at all. The DRZ's insturment panel buttons are slightly easier to use/push while riding though.

Great info. I saw 165km/h on my DR-Z so 103 mph is the same. It took a few minutes to get there though.

I noticed in your post that you said your mpg dropped after modding the DR-Z. My 07 SM is completely stock and I have been contemplating the 3x3, jet kit, exhaust but don't want my fuel range to suffer because I use the bike to commute 3 hours every weekend. Was it the jet kit that made the bike harder on fuel? How many miles could you go before switching to reseve in stock trim and modded? Thank you.

Another difference between the two
    WR250X=Premium Gas ONLY
    DRZ400SM=regular Gasoline

so save you a bit of coin...but stock to stock, the WRX seems to be getting 40-45mpg while the DRZ i got the same...modded the DRZ slipped down to 30-35mpg
    I've used regular gas in all the "Premium only" bikes I've had, w/no problems (Aprilia, KTM, litre bikes, etc.). I think that's a pretty safe bet. Supposedly, the lesser octane you run, w/o it knocking, the better the power. It's worked for me, anyway. Act at your conscience.

I wonder how the sm will do in the dirt with a simple swap of rims.

I have yet to get the low fuel light to trip on the WRX, I just put gas in it every 75 miles or so.

The DRZ after all the usual mods would consistantly need to hit reserve at 70 miles on the odo. less if i was really throttling it....

As far as preimiun, the WRX doesnt even hold two gallons so I dont mind the cost. Since it is a high compression single fi bike, im gonna run the premium. Especially with stated valve checks a 26,000 miles apart.

A fuel light would be a nice feature to have. I couldn't even guess my mileage after all the mods, I just buy gas when I have over a 100km and am near a station.
    07 DRZ-3X3,JD Jet,RS2, and the list goes on

Top speed is about par what I got on the WR - I got the bike up to the mid 90s with my 200lb ass on the bike.
    But what I like about the WR is that it feels a lot lighter than the DRZ and the tranny offers a 6 speed with two overdrive gears.
    We ran the WR down this desert road wide open for 15 minutes pinned with no problem.

So far between the WR and the DRZ it's a wash - they are about the same but each bike is slightly better and slightly worse depending on the area you are looking at.
    Defunct: SuperMoto Racer magazine
    Part time Blogger: www.motocross.com

smr how did u lower seat height without adjusting preload
    i looked at mine for 1/2 a hr and didnt see it

Thanks scott, i think you are right. When I finally finish this and weight out the +'s and -'s of each, it is going to be a personal preference thing. Me, I am taking a new design over an 10 year old design.

Default speedo config ?

Can an owner tell me if the manual states that the speedo can be configured as mph or kph via settings?
    I'm in canada but don't like the fact that Yam Can marks up the msrp by 30% will the cdn dollar now stronger than the us dollar (what isn't stronger). So will be buying from US.
    Rowdy. appreciate your work and postings. looking forward to finally getting a real weight for the 'X'. wish you'd have done a 'stock' measurement so we'd be able to see the changes in weight with the mods. Has anyone out measured their 'X' stock?
    Pat (Toronto)

Freeway cruising
    75mph in 6th on the WR feels like 85mph in 5th on the DRZ. i call it a draw on freeway cruising...
    Rowdy, how do the vibes compare on the DRZ and the WR, at low RPM, and at high cruising RPM? I have read that the DRZ gets uncomfortably buzzy at high RPM, and I know my KLR is pretty vibey at all RPM. I was wondering if the small-bore WR would be the answer for someone looking for a light, smooth-running bike.

Dont know how many miles rowdy has on his bike, but im just below 500.

Heres my thoughts.

Very Light, and nimble. Easy to ride. and The "balance" of the bike feels great.

I'm Digging the 6 speed trans. Cruise's great on the freeway at about 70ish mph.

The headlight is pretty bright and has a good range for stock. Probably gonna get an HID for it. But not bad for stock

Seat is super cumfy. Well the whole bike is.

I went 2 clicks "softer" on the rebound (technicly you cant go softer) and 2 clicks firmer on the comp. on the front forks. And on the rear i did 1 click firmer on Comp. Feels pretty damn good

Also Vibrations are minimal on MY bike. How bout you rowdy ?

All in all 2 thumbs up!

vibration? whats that? i dont notice it at all, which is pretty cool!
    i agree the headlight is excellent for a motrad or dirt bike!!

i am going to back out some rebound up front and add one compression. im setting my rear sag this weekend.

we will see how it handles jumps next week!!!

what do you guys think of the wrx as a budget adv bike?

get the R, its $100 cheaper and you will have a more dirt oriented set-up. +1

So, I know this is a crazy question and I think I know the answer but the stock DRZ is still quicker off the line than the 250 right?

Wait, so are people saying that the WR250 will do 70mph down the highway with no vibes compared to a bigger bore thumper like a DRZ or KLR?

Jesus, I just may have to buy this bike and use it as my lightweight adventure mount.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMind View Post
    Wait, so are people saying that the WR250 will do 70mph down the highway with no vibes compared to a bigger bore thumper like a DRZ or KLR?

Jesus, I just may have to buy this bike and use it as my lightweight adventure mount.
    Hell ya! My thoughts exactly.

That is correct sir.

Rowdy- How would you rate the power to weight ratio? Also, reliability is a problem I am having with the Husky 450... Time will only tell if these bikes are as solid as they seem. I just don't want to be discouraged by the power difference. Would you recommend a test ride before a purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoto Nick 555 View Post
    Rowdy- How would you rate the power to weight ratio? Also, reliability is a problem I am having with the Husky 450... Time will only tell if these bikes are as solid as they seem. I just don't want to be discouraged by the power difference. Would you recommend a test ride before a purchase?
    I wish dealers would be willing to offer a test ride.

Advertisement
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast