WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison

Quote Originally Posted by WRsteveX View Post
    Suzuki did win. But I believe its just beccause its been around longer, and back then with the economy and all, people had more spending money. Now its about even. I've seen suk take a year off production of a model, just to come out with an unchanged bike. All I've heard is rumors that the x is discontinued and not just taking a year off to clear inventory. But, even if this is true, they're not gonna bust out the little red flashy light and make all of us forget its existance like the matrix. There's a strong (enough, if I have to specify) following that enough parts will be available for long enough, that I wouldn't be scared to buy a used one. Maybe in 20 years you might have trouble, but let's face it, we'll all have new motards by then
    Can you describe what you consider to be a strong calling? I see you live in Victoria. You're the only person I've ever heard of on the entire island who has a 250x. I personally know of at least 10 people who've owned a DRZ in Victoria alone, and I'm talking in the last 2 years when the 250x was option. There's only one for sale in the entire lower mainland.....yet there's pages and pages of 2008+ DRZs for sale.

Advertisement

i live on the big ol' island of Texas. Victoria, Texas.

just read all the posts and stunt builds and yamaha threads on here. theres tons of wrx's. theres the wr forum, which ive never been on, but to have a whole forum for just one bike is big. and look on wheeling cycle supply... anything made for the 400 is made for the x.

ive personally known more people on x's, though i know thres more 400's out there.
    09 WR250X
    08 SM450R

i dont know the numbers, or care to. i love my wr and you couldnt pry it out of my hands to get me on a drz. there are plenty of other people that love their wr's and will continue to ride, maintain and modify them. its not like they made 3 of them in 1971 and now you need a blinker switch or something. its a WRX! people love them and parts will be available, and easy to find for many years to come.
    09 WR250X
    08 SM450R

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRsteveX View Post
    i dont know the numbers, or care to. i love my wr and you couldnt pry it out of my hands to get me on a drz. there are plenty of other people that love their wr's and will continue to ride, maintain and modify them. its not like they made 3 of them in 1971 and now you need a blinker switch or something. its a WRX! people love them and parts will be available, and easy to find for many years to come.
    I see what you're saying, but what I'm trying to say is that manufactures of aftermarket parts make products where there's money to be made. I can't see continued development for something that is discontinued. It wouldn't make any business sense. I'm not saying it's a bad bike, I think it's a great bike, but it just didn't do well in this market.

what exactly do you think theyre going to quit making? if they still make the R, the parts fit the X. other than the wheels and brakes, which can be bought from anywhere and fit easily. if they keep making the R, theres still parts. i get what youre saying, but its still in production, just with knobs. the parts availability, or elledged lack thereof, would in no way be a strong enough argument to scare me off of buying a used one. R parts fit for repairs, Raftermarket pipes and programmers and such fit, and anything else as far as wheels, brakes and suspension can be found anyhwere and fitted easily.
    09 WR250X
    08 SM450R

Sorry, I'm a little slow...can you post the official announcement from Yamaha that they are discontinuing the WR250X?

Funny, 3 years ago someone made a big thread about this on TT before the 09s came out. Since then, they produced 09, 10, 11 and now 12.

I'm not sure the sales numbers. But, I've had mine for 1.5 yr and still get a smile everyday I commute. Even in crappy weather. That's at $3.50/gal. Wait until gas goes up even more and the new cars are stupid expensive (already there if you ask me).

This bike is great.
    While were on the subject, the DRZ is a fugly outdated pig and the 450X takes away from the bike's concept: a guilt free commuter that is a blast to run to its limit with potential to explore.
    How many commuters can handle a 450X? If you want big power make your own sumo and deal with the reliability and extra weight in the corners. Or, jump on a sport bike. The SM bike was not intented for a 1 bike does all Just kidding...to each his own opinion
    Last edited by Honda574; 09-20-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda574 View Post
    Sorry, I'm a little slow...can you post the official announcement from Yamaha that they are discontinuing the WR250X?

Funny, 3 years ago someone made a big thread about this on TT before the 09s came out. Since then, they produced 09, 10, 11 and now 12.
    You are slow.....show me on the 2012 model on the Yamaha website. All the 2012s have been released.

I spoke with my father in law last night (who works at a cycle shop), and he said that they just got the Yamaha catalog, and it does have the X and the R model WR250 in it. Unless it is a misprint... They are going to make 2012 models. Unlike Suzuki.

I would highly debate the "do it all" bike. I think an SM is as close as you can get. Last weekend I did about 700 miles, about 250 of which were trails. From good dirt roads to nasty rock filled trail. Also, there were a lot of nice canyons in there that were traversed at extra-legal speeds. Touring, trails, and canyon carving. And when I got home, I rode it to work, like I do every day.

Also, the 450X would be greatly appreciated. The 250 doesn't have enough power to maintain speed up here at altitude, especially when there is a head wind. You said it yourself, the DR-Z is outdated. Imagine a new tech FI 6 speed low maintenance 450. Sounds like a winner to me.
    07FJR1300A
    08 KTM 250 XC
    14 YZ450F

Quote Originally Posted by redhotz28 View Post
    I spoke with my father in law last night (who works at a cycle shop), and he said that they just got the Yamaha catalog, and it does have the X and the R model WR250 in it. Unless it is a misprint... They are going to make 2012 models. Unlike Suzuki.

I would highly debate the "do it all" bike. I think an SM is as close as you can get. Last weekend I did about 700 miles, about 250 of which were trails. From good dirt roads to nasty rock filled trail. Also, there were a lot of nice canyons in there that were traversed at extra-legal speeds. Touring, trails, and canyon carving. And when I got home, I rode it to work, like I do every day.

Also, the 450X would be greatly appreciated. The 250 doesn't have enough power to maintain speed up here at altitude, especially when there is a head wind. You said it yourself, the DR-Z is outdated. Imagine a new tech FI 6 speed low maintenance 450. Sounds like a winner to me.
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr..._overview.aspx

http://www.chemtrails911.com/

Just because it's on the internet....
    07FJR1300A
    08 KTM 250 XC
    14 YZ450F

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    You are slow.....show me on the 2012 model on the Yamaha website. All the 2012s have been released.
    Just because a manf. does not update their website for the next model does not mean they are discontinuing. I can give you a list of bikes and ATVs that have not been updated. They are definitely not discontinued. The 2008 recession changed the way the "toy" industry updates their products.

As far as the 450X...I'm sure it has it's place. Manf. need to spread out the new stuff. They need to sell some stuff, make small updates, then come out with something new. Keeps you and me always thinking about the next bike.
    10 WR250X 2 Bros carbon, PC5, K&N, Streetfighter lights
    12 Street Triple R

Quote Originally Posted by Honda574 View Post
    Just because a manf. does not update their website for the next model does not mean they are discontinuing. I can give you a list of bikes and ATVs that have not been updated. They are definitely not discontinued. The 2008 recession changed the way the "toy" industry updates their products.

As far as the 450X...I'm sure it has it's place. Manf. need to spread out the new stuff. They need to sell some stuff, make small updates, then come out with something new. Keeps you and me always thinking about the next bike.
    So they accidentally forgot to update the Canadian Yamahaha website too?

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    So they accidentally forgot to update the Canadian Yamahaha website too?
    You're not getting it Frosty.
    Not selling a 2012 model does not mean a bike is discontinued.
    Yamaha could have easily made a BNG change or nothing at all and called it a 2012.
    Or, there could be a regulation they don't want to deal with for 2012 at this time.
    They are probably trying to dump the leftovers first.

As I said, there are many examples of manf. that are not putting out "new" stuff. Does NOT mean they are discontinuing that model.
    10 WR250X 2 Bros carbon, PC5, K&N, Streetfighter lights
    12 Street Triple R

In case someone wants to see the WR and DRZ horsepower and torque side by side on a single graph here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68641752@N06/6273723287/

I took the numbers from motorcycle.com and put them into an excel sheet, (just the torque numbers) and then plotted the data. It isn't perfect but very close to the true graphs.

I have never seen a dyno with both bikes on a single graph for comparison but it sure helps when you can see the two together.

I can never get images to show in the actual posts using the image codes. Oh well..
    '98 TW200 Sold
    '08 WR250X Sold
    '06 KTM 625 SMC

Although I think I would have preferred a WR250x though having not ridden one before. I just snagged an 06 DRZ with the basic mods and 3200 miles on the odo for $3200. The cheapest WR250X I could find around me was $4500. I just couldn't justify the extra price.

i have also been lookin into drz400s but im new to riding and im kinda short(5,5 120) would it be a bad choice for a stating point

I am 5'7" 150 and I bought the wr250x it had a lowering link on it. Fun bike but didn't really have the power I wanted. Just picked up a clean 05 drz sm and I can reach the ground safely and has all the power I need. Wish they had the 6 speed like the wrx though. Either way a lowering link is a cheap fix to fit your height issue.

My wife is 5'8" and can just tiptoe my 07 DR-Z. You will need to lower it or hold it up with one foot. She has no issues on her 03 636 or our 09 Ninja 250

That's what I forgot to add, is I usually just put one foot down on my drz. I can put tip toes down with both feet.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdriver View Post
    My wife is 5'8" and can just tiptoe my 07 DR-Z. You will need to lower it or hold it up with one foot. She has no issues on her 03 636 or our 09 Ninja 250
    I'm 5'7" and I can use a DRZ just fine without a lowering link. And I did have to lower my bike because I had to get completely off to hold it up. The DRZ is nowhere NEAR as tall as people make it sound. I may have been using one foot or something, but when you're a short rider you're already used to that.
    2014 Honda Grom- I own the pink Hello Kitty Grom.
    2000 XR650R Supermoto- The bike is faster than the rider!
    1982 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim- Covered in truck bed liner, heavy, and fast- when all 4 vacuum slide carbs feel like working.
    1980 Yamaha XS 850- Sweet sissy bar, man.

We lowered one of our school drz's, and with every trackday there's usually someone who prefers the lower bike.

imho, if you're around 5'5 and primary use is street get some lowering links. at street speed there's no downside to the lower bike, and even on the track it works pretty well. That bike does have more rear chatter on the brakes.

I just wanted to chime in here about using 91 octane in the WR. I have been riding scooters for a while (yes they can be very fun!) and have delt with tiney tanks. One thing to keep in mind when using high octane is that there is usually only one hose for all grades. I would think that when you only fill up with 1.5 gallons, you would never even get what you want. Those big hoses have to hold at least that much gas. You will surely end up with whatever the last guy got. Unless of course you go to a station that has a seperate hose for each grade. I dont see any of those around anymore though. Just food for thought.

You worry for nothing- I managed a C-store back in the 1980s, and the dealer where I managed the service department had a gas pump. When the state inspectors came by to certify the pumps each year, they pumped out 5 gallons of fuel and measured it to make sure that the pump dispensed exactly 5 gallons. They also check to see how much is left in the hose, to make sure people are not getting ripped off, and also to test the capture system that the government mandates for all modern pumps: vapors and fuel are captured and returned to the holding tank so they do not polute the environment. The amount left in the hose after pumping 5 gallons averages about 1/4 cup. So even if you only put in 1 gallon, only 1/64th of your fuel is not the right octane, not enough to make a difference.

Quoted from: Post #8
    http://www.motorcycleforums.net/foru...ump-hoses.html

my buddy and I do 2 short drags in this video. We both have basic mods. I am 200lbs give or take without gear and he is 135lbs without gear. He jumped me a bit on the first race. It was an even start on the 2nd.

http://youtu.be/I6OTNiyNTnY start at 1:40 for the drags
    Last edited by sirbikealot7; 06-22-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    2006 DRZ 400sm, MRD/SSW, jetted, 3x3 mod and a bunch of little tid bits

My wife is 5'7" and she can ride my 09 DRZ, though she can't quite put her heels on the ground while sitting on it.

If you had to choose between these two what would you guys get?
    a) $8500 2011 drz400sm 3300kms with mrd/ssw exhaust, fcr and a few other mods
    b) $6000 2009 wr250r 7700kms with full motard setup aswell as stock, 2 sets of plastics, FMF Q4, powerbomb header etc
    im leaning towards the wr but a bit worried about lack of power as im 6'4 100kg

using it for commuting 20kms each way 5x a week and weekend runs up the hills
    possibly take it offroad if i get the 2 setups

how many kms do these bikes generally live for? ill be doing around 10000 a year probably

or there is a 2007 crf450x for $6000 with motard wheels
    im right in saying it wouldnt be suitable for commuting though yeah?
    Last edited by BigDan; 09-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
    If you had? to choose between these two what would you guys get?
    a) $8500 2011 drz400sm 3300kms with mrd/ssw exhaust, fcr and a few other mods
    b) $6000 2009 wr250r 7700kms with full motard setup aswell as stock, 2 sets of plastics, FMF Q4, powerbomb header etc
    im leaning towards the wr but a bit worried about lack of power as im 6'4 100kg

using it for commuting 20kms each way 5x a week and weekend runs up the hills
    possibly take it offroad if i get the 2 setups

how many kms do these bikes generally live for? ill be doing around 10000 a year probably

or there is a 2007 crf450x for $6000 with motard wheels
    im right in saying it wouldnt be suitable for commuting though yeah?
    Ride them both. Pick the one you like the most.
    09 WR250X
    08 SM450R

I do about 10k miles a year as well- the DR-Z and WR will both handle that. The CRF will NOT. Ever. People with bikes like that brag about getting 10k miles total.
    07FJR1300A
    08 KTM 250 XC
    14 YZ450F

WR, no question. But maybe I am biased...

There are some on wr250r forum with 50k+ miles (81k+ km) on their WR with no issues.

The power on the WR is surprisingly capable. I bought one expecting it to be gutless after reading all the drivel on this site, but was pleasantly surprised and it pulls quite strong. Sure, it's no race bred 450, but as stated a million times, the WRx is a ton of fun.
    2008 Yamaha WR250X
    2006 CRF250R - For getting dirty
    Sold: 2002 SV650S, 2009 Qlink XF200

So stock ride height is 35.2..and by using the lowering option on the rear shock clevis I can lower another half inch correct 34.7?
    I'm really torn between the drzsm and this bike..my first bike. The drz feels lower ...but I like the feel and build much more on the wrx..

Default Height of the bike

Dont worry about the height. I have a WR250x and I am barely 5'7 and can barely touch the ground with both balls of my feet. I had a katana 600 and a SV1000s that were both "too tall" for me. You will get used to it and it becomes a non-issue.

Why are people even comparing a DRZ to a WRX? I've ridden both enough to judge. Modded DRZ vrs modded WRX is a lame comparo. Modded vrs Modded a DRZ embarasses a modded WRX. It's not even close.
    Last edited by Twin; 11-21-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Thank you for this, and all the comparing you've done/are doing still! I wasn't really "on the fence" per Se' but I have owned a 400SM and loved it but kinda wanted to get the WRX after riding (for about 2 min's) my friends WRX and falling in love with it, this comparison helped alot

Quote Originally Posted by rowdy View Post

This is all subjective and my personal opinion, so take it for what you want based on my experiences with both bikes and riding in general.

Appearance/Fit/Finish/Styling
    DRZ=1 WRX=3
    Weight
    DRZ=1 WRX=3
    Modifications
    DRZ=3 WRX=1
    Gas Mileage
    DRZ=3 WRX=2
    Street Riding
    DRZ=2 WRX=2
    Freeway Riding
    DRZ=2 WRX=2
    Track Time at Adams Kart Track
    DRZ=1 WRX=3
    Ease of Oil Change
    DRZ=2 WRX=3
    Valve Adjustment Intervals
    DRZ=2 WRX=3
    Horsepower/Torque
    DRZ=3 WRX=2
    Comfort/Vibration
    DRZ=2 WRX=3

TOTAL POINTS AWARDED
    DRZ=22 WXR=27

Judging Criteria for each catergory were:
    Horsepower/Torque-who made what relative to engine size
    Vavle Adjustment Interval-greater length between reccomended services
    Ease of Oil Change-least amount of steps and things to fiddle with
    Track Time-fastest lap wins
    Freeway-looking at passing power, gearing, vibration and ultimate top speed
    Street Riding-Ease of flicking it around, seat height, quickness from stop light, gassing it up, on-off throttle response, noise levels
    Gas Mileage-better mpg equals more points
    Weight-ligher is better
    Modifications-which model has the most available right now
    Appearance-which model is fresher looking and gets the most comments from strangers about how good it looks

Things I DIDN'T look at where stunting, resale, insurance, initial costs, availability and such.

CONCLUSION-If you are on the fence, I would suggest you get the WRX with these caveats, 1. If you are a 'big guy' I would get the DRZ 2. If the first thing you think about is outright 'power' when wanting to compare the two, get the DRZ. Other than that, I would say buy the Yamaha and love it!!
    "...if you can't wheelie it, then it serves no purpose in life..."
    Have: WR250X, FZ6R (wifeys) Want: YZF250, Husky510SMR, another fiddy, Need: more money to buy the wants
    Lifetime bike count: 13 , all loved except 1...

Advertisement
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789