WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison

107.7 miles before the light turned on.....that's a little over 70mpg

Advertisement

hi guys.
    have a couple of ques to ask. hope you'll help me.

1) i wanna know the diff in horse power for each bike (wrx vs drz).

2) will the 250 be under powered as a commuter bike 40% highway 60% streets.
    with a total weight of 120kg(rider+passenger),
    and some track riding on the weekends?
    or i might as well just get the 400?

kinda in a dilemma between these two bikes.
    love the FI and weight in the WRX but i love the CCs and mods for DRZ.
    but i'm gonna use the bike as a long term investment.
    help me :(

this is not a bike for two up riding if you ask me. not unless it is just for a few blocks. most of us with them dont even have the passenger pegs still on.....
    http://www.ginasticanatural.com Fitness training like you've never seen before. Private training in San Diego.
    www.rowdystyle.blogspot.com A good read about a rowdy life.
    08 WR250X & 05 GSXR600 & 07C3

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

thanks rowdy.
    so its drz for me then.
    great write up rowdy, very informational.
    i'm from singapore and the wrx just arrived here 2 weeks ago.
    and its not been registered to be road legal yet.
    went to the distributor and asked how much would it be,
    he estimated it to be S$15k = US$11?
    hopefully they'll revise the price though.

How hard is it to swap dirt wheels on the 250sm?
    2003 kx 125 lots of mods $1800 obo
    1997 xlt 600 for the winter.

another fill up, 60.1 miles, 1.2 gallons

=50.08mpg

All in town below 35mph.

I'm close to selling my CAR to buy one of these things (99 Taurus 3.0 V6).

I'm 20 and in college, but screw tuition bills, I want to have fun on my way too and from work this summer. When I stay up at college over the winter I don't really need a car anyway.

I went down the dealership today and sat on the WR250R. (They didn't have the WR250X but he said he could have it tomorrow if I wanted). The WR250R felt heavy, tall and stiff as hell though. I was rather "meh". Then I sat on the DR-Z400SM and felt way more at home. The DR-Z400SM felt slimmer, softer, and lower. I'm 6' 3" though. Am I crazy?

Either will get you alot more pussy than a 90's Taurus and that's w/ no backseat... Just kidding you. 6'3"=200+lbs? If so I'd get the drz.

Quote Originally Posted by albarelli View Post
    Either will get you alot more pussy than you would w/ the 90's Taurus and that's w/ no backseat... Just kidding you. 6'3"=200+lbs? If so I'd get the drz.
    haha... I'm actually only 160lbs. Maybe I'm just not used to the tall bikes yet, so the toe dabbling was a bit uncomfy. I was really surprised with the DRZ, but I suspect if the WR250R was lower it would have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyv04988 View Post
    I'm close to selling my CAR to buy one of these things (99 Taurus 3.0 V6).

I'm 20 and in college, but screw tuition bills, I want to have fun on my way too and from work this summer. When I stay up at college over the winter I don't really need a car anyway.

I went down the dealership today and sat on the WR250R. (They didn't have the WR250X but he said he could have it tomorrow if I wanted). The WR250R felt heavy, tall and stiff as hell though. I was rather "meh". Then I sat on the DR-Z400SM and felt way more at home. The DR-Z400SM felt slimmer, softer, and lower. I'm 6' 3" though. Am I crazy?
    The WR250X is two inches lower and much more manageable.

yeah, I read that the seat height was lower on the WRX a little while after. It was definitely the height combined with the seat angle that was throwing me off. I will have to check out an actual WRX in the near future, like after I convince my parents to let me buy one haha.

Hey Rowdy, where in San Diego did you purchase the X and how much did you pay?
    Thanks.

Benny grab the keys and title to your moms taurus and just trade it for your down payment on the bike and just never go home! Believe me Its the best route you can take! Go for it! Its time to be a man!

Quote Originally Posted by albarelli View Post
    Benny grab the keys and title to your moms taurus and just trade it for your down payment on the bike and just never go home! Believe me Its the best route you can take! Go for it! Its time to be a man!
    lmao. My father would kill me. I told my mom I wanted to get a bike today haha. She laughed at me, until I told her how much lower my insurance would be, and that they could sell the car and take me off their insurance. I was testing the water with some big claims, but things went from "no way in hell" to... "hmm... not quite what we had in mind, but..."

Good info in this thread. I've been debating DR-Z vs WR. Still no clear winner for me, though. Have you guys seen the all-black version of the X in Japan?

250R
    http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/mc/lineup...lor/index.html

250X
    http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/mc/lineup...lor/index.html

The black is infinitely better looking than the ugly blue we get.

Quote Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
    The black is infinitely better looking than the ugly blue we get.
    for about a week, then it gets scratched to hell.
    #000018 WR250X
    Advanced Accessories bar clamps
    Pro Taper Henry/Reed
    Sparky removed

Quote Originally Posted by jlibert View Post
    for about a week, then it gets scratched to hell.
    Exactly.

Rowdy, got the PM, thanks for the info.

I'd like to add the black graphics on the blue bike......anyone care to photoshop?

Quote Originally Posted by pacobeagle1 View Post
    I'd like to add the black graphics on the blue bike......anyone care to photoshop?
    How about no graphics, except the wr250x stickers? I went after mine with a heat gun (on low, with care) about 2 days after I got it. I like the cleaner look.
    R&F
    WR250X

I am sure with a little more time there will be any color shrouds available that anyone could want...you can already swap the fenders out. The real PRO the Japan version has over the US version is the tail light. Speaking of which, does anyone have a reliable source where I can order the Japan tail light from?? This would clean my rear end up nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by ekwilliams42 View Post
    This would clean my rear end up nicely!
    Try Charmin, its alot cheaper and easily available.

I knew that it wouldn't take long for someone to come up with something along those lines!!

www.wheelingcyclesupply.com is coming out with a rear end clean up kit for the X

-2005 DRZ-400 Sumo
    -2004 Lancer RalliArt
    -2003 CRF150 Also Fully Loaded

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canada MSRP WR250R 7,299 WR250X 7,699 I was at my dealer and they said 7000, and 7500, still kinda lame with the on par doller. But @ like 144 a month seems good.

I did the yamaha promo: 6 mos/ 0 interest at $6,200 otd. should get it payed off in time.

Qustion for Rowdy. Hi. I sold my Duke 2 a few years ago and have been out of the "game". With gas prices and my love for riding, I'm thinking of getting a bike again. My question is this: I'm a bodybuilder who is 6'3 and weigh 260 lbs. Will that WR250X pull me? I just want something to get back and forth to work. Thanks. I'm used to the power of my "tricked" out Duke2....thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by KTMDUKE2 View Post
    Qustion for Rowdy. Hi. I sold my Duke 2 a few years ago and have been out of the "game". With gas prices and my love for riding, I'm thinking of getting a bike again. My question is this: I'm a bodybuilder who is 6'3 and weigh 260 lbs. Will that WR250X pull me? I just want something to get back and forth to work. Thanks. I'm used to the power of my "tricked" out Duke2....thanks....
    Even though the question was to Rowdy, I would like share some of my thoughts. I am 5'11 and mid 170's with gear. For me the bike works great. The wind can be a little much at times. Even though you wouldn't think so, the Duke does shelter you more than you might think. Due to that, highway / freeway riding can be limited by how much of a cross / head wind that you are hitting. I have had another person ride my x who is 30 lbs heavier than me with not the same results. They tell me that it bogs down quite a bit. My guess is that the bike reaches a criticial point of weight versus power at 190-200lbs. Now put 260lbs into play along with liking to ride a Duke? I would think that if you would weight around my weight you would be fine. I mean, I came from a CR450R, CRF250R and RM250 in the dirt all of time (in that order, 450 being the newest) and I enjoy the bike very much.
    Any how, good luck
    Joe

i have been thinking of getting a wr250x for my dad. what other aftermarket support is there other than FMF, Yoshi. for exhaust. any tuning for the EFI system.
    2006 CRF250X
    2007 Honda Ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by ranger250x View Post
    i have been thinking of getting a wr250x for my dad. what other aftermarket support is there other than FMF, Yoshi. for exhaust. any tuning for the EFI system.
    A list is being compiled over at ThumperTalk: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=642273

thanks i'll check that out
    2006 CRF250X
    2007 Honda Ruckus

I wonder if YZ/WR wheels will fit on this bike???

well i am thinking into the SM for the first time. These 2 bikes are in the spot light for me. I want the thank you Rowdy for doin this thread, its members and people like you who make stuff better for newcomers. I am 6' 200lbs, but i am not looking for a fast bike, got out of my 600rr for that reason. I have ridden dirt all my life and am an intermediate rider, but i still feel the power of that 250 would be enough for me. Not to part sides, i think im leaning towards the wrx. Update on after market parts- If you want the leading company in after market, check out my work, www.motorcycle-superstore.com. I just let our web departement know to dive into the wr250x and get some more parts up for you guys (and maybe myself). Not to mention our bike tester who did the write up on the new blue machine. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ArticleID=6094
    Thanks again. Ride On!!!

edit- 1 more thing. As far as the suspension, the wrx has a unique design that replicates the mx scene with full adjust ride height and dampening for heavier riders, so i think it can be suited for heavier riders. O and the FMF efi programmer is coming off back order on the 25th of this month.

wrx on a dyno.prob posted already.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhrZcycKz64
    Welcome to the dark side
    08 DR-ZSM
    06 RM125
    05 CRF450R
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1/HPIM2675.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ZAC949 View Post
    wrx on a dyno.prob posted already.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhrZcycKz64
    I've never seen someone dyno a bike wearing sandals before.

I wouldn't let a douche like that dyno my bike!

I got the wr250x a week ago and have already put 707 miles on it as of this afternoon. My impression I rode an R6 for 2 years and the 250x is definately a fun bike it shitsand gets in stock form and is light and very manuverable. Im averaging about 62 mpg with the way i ride and even though i know your not suppose to beat on it during break in ive flogged this thing regularly all week. Definately looking forward to the pipe, power bomb header and power commander soon i want some more roll on power, but im definately not complaining about the power this bike has. After a week im very happy and sure this bike will only get better as more miles get put on it and im sure they are gonna add up quick!! oh and im 5'7" 160 lbs and seem to tippy toe two feet but i can firmly plant one on the ground and one on the peg.

I am also a big muscular guy looking to get an SM for my commute. I would prefer at least a 450 but it does not seem that is going to happen reliably and economically. How much faster is the DRZ than the WR? I could not imagine ever riding a 250 4 stroke. But it looks like a good bike. Most of the guys I know who commute ride dRZs and love them. What is the diff in 0-60 times?

Quote Originally Posted by Abstrakt View Post
    I am also a big muscular guy looking
    Did supermotojunkie start a personal section for singles looking...?

mmMMM MANCAKE!

i am 6' 200lbs and i hit 99 mph this past weekend on my wr. it cruses comfortably at 85.

99? Amazing, what mods? I'm only 5'8" and 155lbs and only got an indicated 93 (87 GPS). Downhill. In a tuck. With the wind at my back.

... What is the diff in 0-60 times?
    Well the WR seems/feels like it's in cage territory

clicky
    It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, then a fast bike slow

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    99? Amazing, what mods? I'm only 5'8" and 155lbs and only got an indicated 93 (87 GPS). Downhill. In a tuck. With the wind at my back.
    haha well, it was a long hill i was in a full tuck and the wind was blowing pretty hard to my back, the hill was at least a 1/4 mile, and my spedo read 99!!

i actually cruse at 85- 90 comfortably.

so for big guys a drZ is going to be a more comfortable bike?? and significantly faster 0-60 for a 200+lber??

so for big guys a drZ is going to be a more comfortable bike?? and significantly faster 0-60 for a 200+lber??
    The DRZ may not be faster, but quicker is a definate. The DRZ has that sweet torque but is a bit hamstrung on top. I think the 5 speed hurts it a bit in ultimate top speed but it does get there quicker than my WR.

Now you may ask why I sold my DRZ400SM for the WR. Simply the feel of the thing if nothing else. The WR250X, to me, feels a lot like the old RD/RZ series machines. Seems to turn on thought alone. Might be the weight difference or the way that weight is positioned, but it just takes SO much less effort to burn through the twisties than my DRZ.

FWIW I weigh in at 183 lbs with all my gear, pocket change and 2 sets of keys.
    '08 Yamaha WR 250 X, Acerbis Handguards, FMF FI programmer, airbox mods, EXUP off

Oh as to comfort. DRZ has more vibes to contend with and the seat really benefits from a trip to the incinerator. Wonderful seat by Corbin fixes that issue though. Vibration affects some more than others and wasn't a major issue for me. 2 hours to Deals Gap from here and I'd say the WR (in stock trim) was a bit more comfy than DRZ stock. That run was the "decider" on getting the Corbin seat for the DRZ.
    '08 Yamaha WR 250 X, Acerbis Handguards, FMF FI programmer, airbox mods, EXUP off

its good 2 hear ur ok... im stuck between the suzuki and yamaha.. hows the wrxworkin out for u?? is it good on the track??

wrx is the way to go, iv'e had mine for about 2 weeks, love it awsome cornering and great speed and stability, definitly worth it

is it as fast as a drz... or at least keep up with it??

my speedo seems to be off a little, there are a lot of those police speed read out signs where i live, every time i go past one it reads 4mph less than the speedo on the bike. so the 65mpg i'm avg. may be off.
    08 WR250X 04XB12R
    this post has been enhanced through the use of intelligence offset credits.

Advertisement
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast