WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: WR250x & DRZ400SM-my comparison

All the local dealer would do was $7,400 otd on an '09 DRZ. I talked the other dealer down to $5,793 otd on the '08 wr250x. The ~$2k difference just made up my mind. I'm going to hate putting 91 octane into this beast, but I think the Yam will be a great first bike. I'm going to pick it up on Friday.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    All the local dealer would do was $7,400 otd on an '09 DRZ. I talked the other dealer down to $5,793 otd on the '08 wr250x. The ~$2k difference just made up my mind. I'm going to hate putting 91 octane into this beast, but I think the Yam will be a great first bike. I'm going to pick it up on Friday.
    This isn't your first vehicle purchase, but just make sure that OTD = OTD on both bikes! Taxes, tags, registration, doc fees, set up, prep, freight, etc.

I found the exact same situation as you did. $5900 OTD for the WR compared to $6600 OTD for the DRZ 200 miles away. Folks posting about brand new DRZ-SMs at dealers for $5500 OTD do not live near me. Oh, and insurance on the WR was $250/yr v. $700/yr for the new DRZ.

My Honda 599 calls for cheap shit and I run 91-93... mostly because its cleaner.
    David
    2006 CRF450X SM White n Black
    2006 Honda VFR800 25th
    2007 Nissan Titan
    www.friendlyyamaha.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

You'll get a bit more power out of the lower octane.

I dont believe your getting the bike for that price either. But I'll hope you do.

Quote Originally Posted by albarelli View Post
    I dont believe your getting the bike for that price either. But I'll hope you do.
    It's $125 less than I paid a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    You'll get a bit more power out of the lower octane.

I'm happy you're getting the 250, because you don't seem to have much of a clue about how they work, and a bigger bike would probably get you hurt. Be careful and wear your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregger View Post
    I'm happy you're getting the 250, because you don't seem to have much of a clue about how they work, and a bigger bike would probably get you hurt.
    That's useful information.

I have no idea how a DRZ400 will get you in any more or less trouble than a WR250. Hayabusa, it ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1moreroad View Post
    This isn't your first vehicle purchase, but just make sure that OTD = OTD on both bikes! Taxes, tags, registration, doc fees, set up, prep, freight, etc.

I found the exact same situation as you did. $5900 OTD for the WR compared to $6600 OTD for the DRZ 200 miles away. Folks posting about brand new DRZ-SMs at dealers for $5500 OTD do not live near me. Oh, and insurance on the WR was $250/yr v. $700/yr for the new DRZ.
    damn, who you going through for insurance?? i go through state farm and mine is 400 a year for my 08 drz and thats with me still having a ticket on it (and 5900 for my new 08 DRZ OTD )

That's useful information.

I have no idea how a DRZ400 will get you in any more or less trouble than a WR250. Hayabusa, it ain't.

It was a bit of sarcasm, that didn't fly on the internet, after the retarded low octane comment.

Also, through State Farm, I'm paying $19 a month for 100 deduct and full coverage on my WR.

It's $125 less than I paid a month ago.
    $7 less than what I paid for the first one out of the crate (4 days after it hit the floor)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregger View Post
    I'm happy you're getting the 250, because you don't seem to have much of a clue about how they work, and a bigger bike would probably get you hurt. Be careful and wear your gear.
    Kind of a dumb comment, FYI lower octane = better performance above the point of detonation....are you one of those guys that puts race gas in your bike to make it faster?

I picked up the WR yesterday and it was $5,793 otd. Just thought you guys might want to know that, since you did not believe me to begin with. You will not be seeing me any more on here. I'm going to see if maybe there is a newbie forum out there. I'm not hardcore and super experienced like all of you. Sorry for taking up space here. Have fun, guys!

Ok I have read this whole thread and I just wanted to chime in my testimony to the wrx. I haven't ridden a drz so I am not saying anything bad about it.

I have had my 07 wr250x for almost two months, I have put on almost 3,000 miles on it already. I love my bike with a passion! I am 6' 200 lbs. I am a complete adrenaline junkie and I have been riding motocross for years and this is my first SM.

I have put this bike through the wringer so far. I was a little light on it during break in but not much. I have carved the twisty canyons on it passing HDs and sportbikes. I've taken it on the dirt trails leading all of my motocross buddies. I took it on a 800 mile road trip in a weekend cruising at 80-85mph constantly. (in a slight but comfortable tuck) I have achieved a top speed of 94 mph indicated (on flat ground with no notable wind) I've jumped it, backed it in, burned out, wheelied, stoppied dragged footpeg, cruised it downtown, and I commute on it about 30 miles every day.

In my opinion this bike works well for just about everything. During break in I was getting 65-75mpgs and now that I am riding it harder I still get 60-70mpg.

It doesn't suprise me that people say it keeps up with the drz because the bike feels very light and the 6 speed tranny keeps you in the revs all the time. The few times I have felt like the bike could really use more power I probably should have been in a lower gear.

I really do look forward to aftermarket companies offering more for it but for now i have very few complaints. The only things that are screaming at me are that I want some tires that are a little more aggressive for the dirt and a less restrictive exhaust. (which are both available)

Honestly up to this point in my life I have never bought anything that has made me as happy as this bike.

Like I said this is just my testimony and my opinion of the bike. Take from it whatever you want.
    Life behind Bars...

^^^^^I agree 100%, as another non-having-DRZ-ridden WRX owner, I've had pretty much all the same on-road experiences (well except the backing-in thing, but I'm working on that). Admittedly if the road is straight any sport bike will own it, however once the turns begin to tighten look-out!!! Once you learn to ride it the way it wants to be ridden it will make you feel like a hero.

Wow, this thread is great. I think I am going to get a wrx now. I have an 08 ape 450 and don't like it. I want something to thrash on with little maintenance and the sxv is a pain in the ass delicate machine.

What are the problems with a WRx and Big riders? (6.2@250lbs)

is it just a power issue?

I am 5'10" and 230 lbs and don't have a single issue! LOVE THE WR250X
    "Stop trying to find your role model... BE ONE!"
    TroyKrum - Yucaipa, So Cal
    '08 Yamaha WR250X
    Lots of dirt toys not related to SuperMoto!

Quote Originally Posted by 06 TRed GTO View Post
    What are the problems with a WRx and Big riders? (6.2@250lbs)

is it just a power issue?
    I think this is all from what you expect a bike to be like on the power. Obviously it will kick ass as a 250 street legal sumo. All bikes are different and if you want big power go bigger on bike. Your height should be no problem, I am also 6'2 and all the sumos are pretty much the same in physical size but its all in what you are comfortable with. Your weight on the other hand is up there so you probably already know that you will not go as fast as lighter people. I am getting a wrx to screw around with like my 50. I know I wont be going 100mph on the thing but if I want to do that I can my other bikes. I think sumos are more fun at the slower speeds anyways. With sportbikes to me they are only fun when they are bouncing off the rev limiters. If you want to be quick get an aprilia, I have a sxv 450 and it will move you quick even if you are 300lbs

Just a little info about me to give you some insight into my reviews: I've ridden/owned several bikes and ridden thousands of miles on sport and touring bikes of different kinds. My favorite bike is an SV650, and if you know about these you'll know exactly what type of rider I am. I'm not a public-road-knee-dragger, but I can say my tires do wear evenly.

My impression of the WRX is that's it's 1/2 incredible looking, but also 1/2 gimmicky looking. Kinda like a Chinese scooter... But who cares, because it's a Yamaha. You'll get brand-name recognition for it. The motor sounds kinda lawn-mower like, but it'll shock you at how fast it is. You'd think a 250 would suck, but it's not at all slow. I was doing 75 before I knew it. Part of this is that there's NO torque. It's not a rocket, but it's not slow either. Think of it as the Honda S2000 of motorcycles.... The 6 speed is nice too. But at the end of the day, I still have to look down to know that it's a Yamaha and not a cheap-o knock off. The bars are crap, the speedo is cheesy and confusing, the power curve is dull... It just didn't feel like a REAL motorcycle. It would be a great 2nd bike to play with, but I would NOT want to have to put serious miles on it.

The DRZ-SM is a well recognized industry standard for street legal SM bikes now. It looks the same as it did years ago, which is good and bad. Personally, I think it looks utilitarian, which is better than gimmicky. I'm glad they didn't do some ugly redesign... The '09 decals are really lame, but it's not as bad as it could be! The engine sounds a lot more substantial. When you ride it the feel is a lot more solid and serious. Like a real motorcycle... a 650 V-Strom almost. There was torque there. I also like how there is several years of previous trial-and-error, and hundreds of thousands of miles worth of testing to research to look at. All-in-all it makes for a much better "only" bike that you can use for commuting and having fun. I do wish it had a 6 speed!!!! But, it feels like a solid, well-built bike.

The top end of both bikes was very buzzy, but the DRZ was more noticeable because of the bigger piston going up and down. Both would do 90MPH, which for an un-fairinged bike is all you'd want to do and only for a short time. If you need to do 75+ for several miles, a supermoto isn't for you. Both felt fine at 65, but that won't cut it on a real freeway. You need to be in the left lane so you're not getting merged on constantly. The tank range is also a problem for both. It's not hard to fill up constantly, but it's annoying...

After looking and riding both, I bought an '07 DRZ in black because I felt it was a more substantial bike for the money. As I said, the WRX would be a great second bike, but I need something to put 30K miles on over the years, not a toy. Hate my review if you want, but it's how I feel. There's no doubt in my mind the DRZ is the best bike I've ever owned.

I got my WR250X for 6000 OTD.

After reading a couple of the last posts i would like to make a few comments..

For the guy thats 250lbs, im 5'10 210lbs and have seen 102 on the speedo! of course i was on a bit of a down hill no wind in a tucked position for a few miles lol. I had my Q4 slip on, i dont think i had my header then. This isnt break necks speeds obviously but for a SM its not that bad either..

I have spent some time on a DRZsm, in fact riding my friends is what brought me to the SM scene to begin with. To the person saying the WR feels less like a real bike and is cheaply made id have to disagree. I feel the WR has more technology (wave rotors, fuel injection, etc) and is easily on par as far as build quality to that of the DRZ.. Less stable ? i noticed the DRZ was not as flickable, it felt heavier in the twisties in comparison.. so.. maybe this is what your experiencing?

When it comes to performance its a toss up at this point for me. My friend and i weigh about the same, and he cant pull me on his DRZ, in fact at this point im starting to pull on him. He is stock, where i have full exhaust and my airbox door is swiss cheesed. So if he were to install his jet kit and do an exhaust my guess is he would out run me in a strait line.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is merely my own. I think the DRZ is a great bike and i hold no ill feelings towards it. I feel most will enjoy their experience on either bikes. We have a great community of people here and i hope it continues to grow! Sorry for the novel, everyone ride safe and have fun!!

5'11" 290 lbs on my wr.. fast enough to keep me out of trouble hehehe.. as soon as the turbo kit goes into production Ill be purchasing it.. i payed $5400 OTD up here in alaska.. i dont mind spending another 2k to double the HP on this fun all around bike

Default totally on the fence

I have just test ridden a wr250x and kinda really like it, but was still left a little flat because of the power. I have a ktm 640 adv. and a Te450, and both of these bikes have no lack of power. I have ridden Drz's and many other dual sports but am not a rider that can get everything out of either of my bikes. I was thinking this bike would be just a little less power than the Drz, and that would be ok, but it has way less. This has a good side and a bad side: good, because my wife has expressed interest in learning to ride,and it seems like a very tame and easy to ride bike, bad, in that it just seems so gutless. Obviously it was not good idea to have just gotten off my Te450 before test riding the wr250x, but it seemed like it would give me a better idea about the handling, being that the Te is in dirt trim. The steering kinda felt heavy on the 250, but of course I am comparing knobbies on asphalt to slicks, so I guess it would be. For some reason, despite the lack of power I still am drawn to the WR250x ( maybe like a moth to a flame). I think is is the idea of a small fuel efficient bike to get to work on, the ktm and TE are not that great in the mpg department, the Te in particular get surprisingly bad mpg. This whole mess started with wanting to put moto wheels on the TE450, and then realizing for a little more money I could just get a whole bike. I love the TE, but realize that it does not make sense as a commuter bike, even with moto wheels.
    The only FI moto bike, I know of, in this price range is the WR250x. I only have about a 5 mile commute, but I like to try and make it fun, I just can't decide if the Wrx will still be as fun. I can't really pitch the Drz to my wife, it is to much bike for a beginner in my mind. I guess people like this bike, it reminds me of watching all the small motos in Europe, I just cant decide if it will end up being a bummer. Should I go for this WR250x I found a fair deal on one???

What's the old bike saying: "Price, performance, or quality. Pick two of the three." Something like that, anyway. If you want good gas mileage and a reasonable price, you're going to have to give a little in the performance/power department. I'm not a fan of the DRZ. I've ridden three of them now. I just can't get enthused over 'em.

The 250 makes more sense to me. Good economy, and I'm not even beginning to play the power/displacement game. I'm just looking for something economical, light, practical, and fun. Neither one is impressive, performance-wise. Besides, no 6th gear drives me crazy. To each his/her own.

Then, again, if you really want practical, a Kawi Versys makes more sense than either one, IMO. Better comfort, fuel range, power, wind protection, and still great economy. All this, and still a nice combo of SM, w/real street bike feel. Very cool...That's why they make different models.

Some folks factor in the "right wrist rush" more than others. For me a well carved corner and heat cycled tires mean more than acceleration. Having said that I DID put a pipe and programmer on my WR250X so I could close up a couple of braking points!

13 mile one way commute here with 3 paths to choose. One is a bit too twisty for the dark:30 morning ride, one is fun but runs through some traffic areas, and the third is a bit of interstate. The WR250X works great in all of the regimes (might look into a pair of Super Oscars for that am run %-). If power is the thing go big. If you want a great little machine to fling through the turns all day the X is great.
    '08 Yamaha WR 250 X, Acerbis Handguards, FMF FI programmer, airbox mods, EXUP off

I love my bike and the power is never really an issue (mainly because I ride by myself so I set my own pace) however a buddy is coming out to day with his new (to him) 520 and I am afraid the 250 might hit the chopping block.

Quote Originally Posted by thumperdust View Post
    I have just test ridden a wr250x and kinda really like it, but was still left a little flat because of the power. I have a ktm 640 adv. and a Te450, and both of these bikes have no lack of power. I have ridden Drz's and many other dual sports but am not a rider that can get everything out of either of my bikes. I was thinking this bike would be just a little less power than the Drz, and that would be ok, but it has way less. This has a good side and a bad side: good, because my wife has expressed interest in learning to ride,and it seems like a very tame and easy to ride bike, bad, in that it just seems so gutless. Obviously it was not good idea to have just gotten off my Te450 before test riding the wr250x, but it seemed like it would give me a better idea about the handling, being that the Te is in dirt trim. The steering kinda felt heavy on the 250, but of course I am comparing knobbies on asphalt to slicks, so I guess it would be. For some reason, despite the lack of power I still am drawn to the WR250x ( maybe like a moth to a flame). I think is is the idea of a small fuel efficient bike to get to work on, the ktm and TE are not that great in the mpg department, the Te in particular get surprisingly bad mpg. This whole mess started with wanting to put moto wheels on the TE450, and then realizing for a little more money I could just get a whole bike. I love the TE, but realize that it does not make sense as a commuter bike, even with moto wheels.
    The only FI moto bike, I know of, in this price range is the WR250x. I only have about a 5 mile commute, but I like to try and make it fun, I just can't decide if the Wrx will still be as fun. I can't really pitch the Drz to my wife, it is to much bike for a beginner in my mind. I guess people like this bike, it reminds me of watching all the small motos in Europe, I just cant decide if it will end up being a bummer. Should I go for this WR250x I found a fair deal on one???

If you are looking for some power, maybe you should get one of these

Motard-Menace
    Pohonix, Az

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer it must be an Electrical Problem."

I just picked up an X. I've had all kinds of bikes, of all types and displacements. If you're all about peak power, acceleration, top speed, braggin' rights, and/or showmanship, etc., the X ain't for you. No smaller displacement bike is. If you're more about power character and delivery, the X is fine for what it was intended. It's soft down low (Again, if you're comparing it to performance bikes, it's REALLY soft everywhere.), but runs pretty nicely mid-top.

I'm hoping a slip-on and a tweak, or two, will make that nicer in all respects. The bike is very flickable and great on gravel/dirt roads. It's nice around town, though I'm really hoping to sharpen things up a bit. It's a little soft for my tastes, even for what it is, bone stock. An exhaust usually addresses that nicely. I don't, OTOH, want to go overboard w/mods. The bike ain't going to be fast, regardless. Moderation, simplicity, economy, and fun are the names of the game here.

But, yeh, if you're concerned about outright power, you're looking in the wrong place.

Default How fast does a WR250x go?

The 2008s look awesome but I dont want an underpowered bike and need a new one soon. Is this bike able to break 75 mph or wheely stair sets? So what do you guys think?

wkboardr has one with a pipe and power commander, stock gearing he said it hits the wall at 95 mph.
    They are surprising bikes.

its not fast enough, its under 30hp i believe
    2005 RM 65 pitbike (for sale, PM if interested)
    2005 KTM 4FIDDY SMR Streeted
    2004 Sv650s (Sold)
    2007 GSX-R 750 (My new rocket ship)

If you want to see what the bike is capable of, do a search and check out what ryan moore has done with a stock one. It's impressive, but then again thats what ryan moore can do with the bike. My point is its way more capable then most of us have the stunt skills to use.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy350 View Post
    If you want to see what the bike is capable of, do a search and check out what ryan moore has done with a stock one. It's impressive, but then again thats what ryan moore can do with the bike. My point is its way more capable then most of us have the stunt skills to use.
    i agree

but dont ever get the convoluted idea that the wrx is fast at all. its a commuter, if you want a fast bike get an ape or cr500 tard
    2007 Aprilia Sxv 550
    2007 CRF 50
    2003 CRF 100
    Youtube Channel
    Instagram: Sweenster669

It'll do over 75. It'll probably take 10 seconds to go from 75 to 85 though... so it's not a screaming beast. It'll commute on the HWY as long as you only have a few exits.

Find a used WRX and DRZ and go for a test ride back to back! They're very different. Several good deals on used bikes on this site too!
    I like my CRF450X. Yay.

wait is this a bet or a guessing game? I got $5 on an indicated 78 - with an actual of 69!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Would be nice if it was a 2 stroke.

i got to the 80s with it but not too stable up there. its pretty damn slow. but on the twisties i still keep up with everyone else weather they have a sumo or a sportbike. now on some fast sweepers, sucking. gonna get a bigger one soon. need more umph in my bike
    2008 Yamaha WR250X, 2003 Kawi ZX6R

I find the WRX to be suprisingly quick up to about 65-70mph, after that, its about as fast as the average car till about 85-90 and then it's pretty much done, and not terribly stable at top speed. Not too awful bad, but its a light bike.
    I've done the pipe, PC3, gearing. Overall, a wonderful and fun easy to ride bike, but to me, I will never be happy with the power for the kind of riding I do.
    If I could own several bikes, I would probably keep it, but I bought a 690SMC and the WRX is indeed for sale.
    The SMC is way nicer on the highway given that it's still got good power at those speeds. IF I only rode around town, the WRX would make sense, but I like to jet to the next city over or the the beach and the 690 will be better suited for that.
    I'm a former tech....
    current ride: 2008 DRZ400SM
    previous supermoto rides: 2000 YZ426F 2008 KTM 690SMC 2008 Yamaha WR250X

Agreed. The X is a fun bike, as long as you understand what it is. I can live w/minimal power, if it's smooth, progressive, and responsive. It is very light, easy, economical, and fun. It's also fun to kick off-road. The power is minimal. Period. That's not all bad. Then, again, I have several other bikes. It'd never do as the only one. Or, even as one of two or three, for that matter.

I lusted after the 690 SMC big time. I still do. I already have a 990 Super Duke, though, and I'm trying to get away from the non-Jap. bikes.

The X is a cool bike. Just know it is what it is.

Hey i'm 6'3" 200lbs, would you sudjest the Drz 400sm? I can't afford a street bike because I am 17, and I want to ride with my dad and I do supermoto on my mini bike, and insurance is 400 bucks a month for like an R6. Which is why I am going supermoto. I like riding on them, more fun as well.

Mostly personal preference between the X and DRZ. There are numerous threads/references to it. Pick and choose. It sounds like insurance is going to be the key for you, above all else.

Good luck.

we have a wr250x 2008 on the floor
    contact sales at new york motorcycle 718 479 7777
    shipping available its the only one get it while its hot

we had two but i got one for my self and love it

Quote Originally Posted by cls View Post
    Mostly personal preference between the X and DRZ. There are numerous threads/references to it. Pick and choose. It sounds like insurance is going to be the key for you, above all else.

Good luck.
    Actualy, insurance for me is only about 90 bucks a month, for both bikes, almost dead even. Not to worry, but my problem is that I do not know if the 250 will be gutless or not with me on it

Quote Originally Posted by KEVDOG1982 View Post
    we have a wr250x 2008 on the floor
    contact sales at new york motorcycle 718 479 7777
    shipping available its the only one get it while its hot

we had two but i got one for my self and love it
    How much out the door, and how much for shipping is my question lol

Quote Originally Posted by specialized117 View Post
    Actualy, insurance for me is only about 90 bucks a month, for both bikes, almost dead even. Not to worry, but my problem is that I do not know if the 250 will be gutless or not with me on it

$90/month is a lot. It's all relative, I reckon. I used to be young and expensive to insure. Anyway, if you're concerned, you will probably think the X is gutless. It's better after mods., but it's still a 250cc, 4-stroke, single. It only gets so good...

If you're worried about quality of power and/or power delivery, you may get along ok w/it. If you're worried about outright power, it'll leave you wanting more. Probably much more. I've had all kinds of bikes, so I knew what to expect. Before mods., I was not thrilled, to say the least. After mods., I find it quite acceptable for a fun run-around d-s/sm.

There's no way for me to really tell where you'll fall. Your call. Good luck.

Ya, true but what I really want to know is after mods on both bikes which one would have more pickup than the other, I mean from common sense I would think the sm would have more pick up that the 250 but, these days they have some crazy stuff, and the sm hasnt really been changed in a long time compared to the 250

The DRZ will have more torque. Period. The X revs a little faster, and is a bit lighter. I didn't care much for the DRZ. It looks and feels a bit old and big. It also vibrates more. I'm also a pretty big FI fan. I also couldn't stand no 6th gear. Having said all that, the DRZ will have more torque and power, even if it's not any faster/quicker (Or, not much more. Stock, anyway.). You'll get all kinds of opinions. There's no telling what your opinion will be. Ride 'em both, and see.

Yes true, but the problem is, I don't know where I can ride either of them. I live in cali so there's no where to test ride them and also people would never let other people ride their bikes

Default Sm.. Klx Drz Wr???

Ok.. so Suzuki Kawasaki and Yamaha have a Sm now. What bike has the real best performance... and not some company's propaganda

Pictures, Models, Claimed weights and hp??
    Braaaap

Quote Originally Posted by RobBlack View Post
    Ok.. so Suzuki Kawasaki and Yamaha have a Sm now. What bike has the real best performance... and not some company's propaganda
    Stick with the DRZ...at least untill Yamaha releases a 450. The DRZ is bulletproof, Parts are cheap, and it's easy to upgrade.
    My KTM is faster hands down, but for an all around bike you're going to use everyday, I'd take the DRZ.
    Jason
    06 DRZ440sm (SOLD...Wife is back in the "Cage")
    08 530EXCsm

"Why drink beer when you're already an Idiot?" - My Wife- 2010

Advertisement
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast