160 tire fitament...4.25" or 5" - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 160 tire fitament...4.25" or 5"

Hi.This is how it looks a Dunlop KR 108 165/55 on a 4.25 rim. Doesnt look that bad.

BTW: I pick up the wheel today on the bike shop i usually use to mount tyres and the owner told me :" Dude, that tyre is not gonna grip a shit!But if its just some fun rides should be good!"

I asked him why and he told me that the tyre is too hard. "Those tyres are to be used only once. Before the first heat they will never grip the same!"

Well..i like the guy but i know that is one hell of a sales man....if he could he would sell his own mamma so...
    This tyre haves two years on my garage. Was used for 20m on a practice session on a Husqvarna 610...

Does it looks so weared out?i dont think so... I dont know a shit about slicks.Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.
    ZIPPER
    94´XR600R

Advertisement

That tire is far from being worn out. But your dealership guy telling you about it being to hard might not be to far off base. Put a set of tire warmers on your tires, and let the warmers put some heat in to the tires before you go out on the track/street. If not you might not like what happens in the first corner. When tires "dry out" Like being in your garage for two years after being ridin on they lose some of the properties of grip, and flex.

that was the word he used to describe it: "Dry out".
    No tyre warmers....Will be used on street till i get money for some dot tyre.Guess i will have to be careful on first turns.
    Thanks.
    ZIPPER
    94´XR600R

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Default Dpops 165/55

I've run the Dunlops on a 250 GP bike for years. They do take a bit to get some heat into the tire before you lay into a corner. Once you gone about 5 miles on and off the gas that should warm the tire.

What kills slicks are heat cycles and time sitting in heat or direct sun. You can heat cycle those tires many times before the performance drops off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Generally, Best tire sizing for rims is;

4.25"-4.50" rim=150 to 155 tire
    5.00" rim=160 to 165 tire(+ a few very special SM specific 170 slicks)
    5.50" rim=170 to 180 tire
    6.00" rim=190 to 200 tire

ill chime in on this one,, with the 5.50 rims,, ''most common 600 sportbike size''
    you can also run a 190/55 and 190/60 also 195/70, because you have more sidewall it prevents the tire from being pinched. for instance,, you should not use a 190/50 on a 5.50.. you can also put 180/55 on a 6.00 inch rim. it will not flare out too much to not use..

the reason you would use the 190/55 or 190/60 or 195/70 on a 5.5 inch rim.. is more contact patch ofcourse,, because the tires are taller it also it lifts the rear of the bike, making it tip in easier and faster..

The exception to the "fitament" rule is the Avon Distanzia 160 on the Husky 4.25 rim IMO. The contact patch is still good, no tread being pulled into the sidewall area and the bike turns in quick and sticks great.

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Dionisio View Post
    Hi.This is how it looks a Dunlop KR 108 165/55 on a 4.25 rim. Doesnt look that bad.
    that doesn't look right at all

that looks like a front tire profile

Quote Originally Posted by b.h. View Post
    that doesn't look right at all

that looks like a front tire profile
    should look less round, right?
    what can i expect with this profile?Sudden lost of grip while leaning??
    ZIPPER
    94´XR600R

Michelin 150/60-17 on a 5" wheel

Maxxis presa 160/60 17 on a 4.25 rim, the profile isn't right but there are no clearance problems (Hva sm510r '06)

a bit small pics, sorry
    2006 SM510R

Hey all...This thread is a must read for new SuMo riders...

I am about to make the jump into racing my CRF 450 and Im glad I read this first...

Anyone else run a 4.5 rear set up with a 150 tire on a CRF 450?? I have heard that its better just to run the stock dirt style chain since its thinner than the aftermarket O-ring chains and will prevent rubbage.

Thanks for any input!

Also, does anyone know the pros/cons of running a 150 vs. a 160 tire when racing?

To stir the pot; The Yamaha XT660X has a 4.25" rim with 160/60 from the factory.
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...22/tms-04.html
    ccs 246

'06 Husky SMR 450

Does anybody have any feedback on Maxxis Slicks grip,tire life,$price ?? Thanks T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by GonZilla View Post
    Also, does anyone know the pros/cons of running a 150 vs. a 160 tire when racing?
    I race a 2007 yz450 with a 4.25 and run Pirelli 160/60/17. At full lean it starts to let go with out warning like it is about to high side. Maybe this is an air pressure related issue or that these are free take offs from road racers. The Pirelli rep at the road race track said not to run more than 22psi but the tire felt like a noodle (see rear tire in photo). Yesterday I tried 25-26 psi at 76 degrees and it was much more predictable but this was a new style PRO tire in almost new shape. I am fairly new to racing so my backing it in needs work, should I replace my 4.25 with a 4.5-5.0 wheel or start buying new 150/60/17?
    2002 rc51
    2007 yz450 supermoto #76

I'd try a 150 first. For one thing, it's alot cheaper thing to try first-off and from what you say it'll work better than what you got now. It's been awhile that I've had to buy a 150 slick, but I think you can still get em. You'll get sick lean angles with it. Sounds like now you have the 160 pinched and it's rolled over and won't lay flat on the contact patch. Get the bigger rim and tire if you feel that you are overpowering the 150.

If you want a DOT tire, there's lots of choices. Use the search 'tires' and you'll get dozens of feedback on DOT 150's.
    The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by b76 View Post
    I race a 2007 yz450 with a 4.25 and run Pirelli 160/60/17. At full lean it starts to let go with out warning like it is about to high side. Maybe this is an air pressure related issue or that these are free take offs from road racers. The Pirelli rep at the road race track said not to run more than 22psi but the tire felt like a noodle (see rear tire in photo). Yesterday I tried 25-26 psi at 76 degrees and it was much more predictable but this was a new style PRO tire in almost new shape. I am fairly new to racing so my backing it in needs work, should I replace my 4.25 with a 4.5-5.0 wheel or start buying new 150/60/17?
    This is common with a lot of pirelli tires, they tend to be a bit vague at the limit.

A friend I race/travel with always told me that If it took a long time to heat up the tires then drop the air 2 lbs or so...If the tires get greasy quick then you add a couple pounds....try to find the happy medium...throw a big damp dirt section into that for me a pirelli SC1 slick on the rear on a hot day at 22 psi will go to goo by turn two....the sc1 on a hot day for me has to be 25-26.....
    hard to predict what take off's will do... I guess as long as they aren't blue I guess you are ahead of the game...
    Brian # 30

KTM 450 SMR

"Everyday is a good day" Just some days are better than others

front is an sc1 slick, rear is an sc2 pro dot. I tried 22psi front 25-26 rear it was better but still not great. Thanks for the info guys.
    2002 rc51
    2007 yz450 supermoto #76

i run a tomahawk 160/60/17 on my 400exc

its tight i had to trim some rubber on the non chain side but the chain side i have had no chain slap at all. however i am not running a o-ring chain anymore

i also have to run the tire all the way back because it doesnt fit all the way up

it grips well so far and i have had it all the way to the edge but i also have not had it on the track yet

ill get pics shortly of the clearence
    for now i have this one
    Last edited by smi2710; 08-28-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added pic

Default 4.5 black rims

hey all, what manufacturer are you sourcing the 4.5" rims from at this point...? I have 2 Behrs that need to be replaced. I've had one supplier just tell me Thurs. 8/28, that he won't have 4.25" rims til end of Sept. ,and he doesn't offer 4.5s.Another says Excel doesn't offer the size any longer. I will be running 150/60 size tires. Black rims needed...
    S440,EC200,RM250

Default chains

I think another thing that some people may be missing here is why not switch from a O-ring chain to a non-oring, I know that can save some room also, or building a chain guide on top of the swing arm.

# 46 has a 160/5" combo, I was on the 4.25/160 combo (696 was my old #) Jon and I are both 22 PSI that day, (both pirelli's)
    Brian # 30

KTM 450 SMR

Default Size matters...

Given the performance of today’s tires, it is unlikely we will ever outride them. To increase the tire size on a bike introduces a few issues. One is inertia and that force is what we recognize as braking/accelerating performance. The other force is centrifugal and that is what we know as response in cornering. Another consideration is lean angle and contact surface ratio. This is the topic addressed in this thread and one where intuition is misleading. The larger tire is slower to react regardless of rider skill. A smaller tire will give more performance, quicker response and oddly, more surface contact in cornering.

You should consider smaller tires if your goal is better performance.

Unless we use a dyno and track times to baseline changes, we really don’t know...

I originally built my Honda with a 150/5" March. rear just to make sure everything would fit. A few days ago (in prep for the canceled AMA race), I switched it to a 160 rear. The handling difference is very noticeable. The 160 has a more consistent radius and a more even control when changing directions. The 150 was flatter across the top and steep on the outside edges. It would "drop" into the corner faster once you reached a certain point in lean angle. I think a 150 would be great on a 4.25 though.

Hi Guy's,
    I run a 4.5" Excel rim on my 525 with 160 tyres and have not had any tyre - chain problems. I've used Michelin, Dunlop and Conti's without any problems. I also run a O-ring chain have done the chain guide mod as this helps slotting them in a bit easier.

I did not read through all the post as... well I am lazy...

The Metzeler 160s I run are as wide as a Dunlop 165 (real close anyway)

I have run these (Metz) on 4.25 but seem to work best on the 5 inch wheel... It does rub my chain on my Yamaha 450 a little but after a few laps it runs it course and no worries ever... On my Ktm 575 it was all really close on my right side of swingarm and I actually had to always hold it off the swingarm as I tighted it.

On all my Supermoto bikes I then run the 16.5 on the front and that lets the bike drop into the turns better....

I have run quite a few and really like the Metzelers all around... They are a little wider the last time I checked over others...

btw I need to head NORTH to run soem rain... Got to ride rain one time in Europe and I liked it... We do not do that in Califnornia it seems... :(
    MotoElite.com / GreaterYamaha.com / www.Fast50s.com / Bell Helmets / Supermoto USA / Drew Paints / 4theriders.com / Sportbikeswest.com / GPR / Advanced Metal Finishing & Power Coating / Hardcore Paint Works.com /

I run a pirelli dragon supercorsa 150/60 with 4.25 rim on crf450r. I do have the non o-ring chain rubbing problem, (I need to adjust my rim by spoke) but as far as traction goes, it sticks good. the only issue I had was when i started to drag peg (I ride knee out style) and having my foot on the peg, I can feel the rear starting to unload and have had a slip here and there. Now, this is all acording if you can get this particular tire up to operating temp. If not, it will slip all day. I have not tried street tires yet, but im about to make the switch to a avon 150 rear to try to help my low temp grip improve for smaller slower tracks.

160's come stock on some streetbikes with 4" rims. That's the width they were originally designed to work on.

i use 170 dunlop KR108 slicks on my stock drzSM (on rear).Why 170? It is free for me.there are no problems with a chain and others problems too. good tire for cold weather. and I am happy

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Slicks are another world toaster. Take off that 170 slick and replace it with a 170 treaded tire, from the same manufacturer, and you'll be rubbing something somewhere. Treaded tires are always considerably wider than slicks.
    To each their own within the land of motorcycles I always say, and will fight to the death for it, but a 180 on a 5" wheel is probably only going to give you a big fat tire cool effect and nothing else. Sportbikes need the big meats for whole different reasons.
    Generally, Best tire sizing for rims is;

4.25"-4.50" rim=150 to 155 tire
    5.00" rim=160 to 165 tire(+ a few very special SM specific 170 slicks)
    5.50" rim=170 to 180 tire
    6.00" rim=190 to 200 tire

I have a 5.5" wheel, and the biggest tire I'll ever run on it is a 170. The Aprilla SXV 5.5 comes stock with a 5.5" wheel and a 180. And I've seen guys struggle on the track with that big-ass tire...weighs more, more rotating mass on the wheel, harder to transition back and forth...probably fine for street dutys, but IMHO, too much for the track.

Please don't tell me how Daryl Atkins or Benny Carlson rail with a 5.5 and a 180. There's exceptions to every rule and those guys are exceptional. Plus, if you ever get to talk to them, ask them how long did it take for them to get used to that big chunk of rubber.

For us mere mortals..,it's best to stick with what the manufacturers spent thousands of hours developing. They did it just for you.
    I'm readin an old ass post here but... Quite sure Benny and Daryl ran 170 dunnys on the SXV's

aww shiet! wish i would of read this sooner.. just put a bt016 160/60 on a 4.5 rim.. the thing looks like a doughnut! it feels real smooth in the corners though.. hrmmm :
    tssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Quote Originally Posted by mg15 View Post
    3forme ,

FWIW I have personally run 150/60 DOT's from Metzeler , Pirelli and Michelin on my 5" rim . They all worked well and had a nice profile with lots of contact at deep lean angles . You will use ALL the tread surface , but I've never ridden off one yet . I've used them for street , roadrace and supermoto on a 250 lb/65hp bike and have had no problems . I don't bother with 160's any longer , they are just biggger and heavier .
    great info.

does/has anyone else run a 150 on a 5" rim?

I think Im going to go for a 150 set up on my 5" rim...This will be my rookie SuMo season so Im going to start there...

Now the question is what type of chain is preferred...Time to see what fits I guess...

does a 5 inch width measure as 6 inches on the 'thicker' side? i am looking at a rim that says 5 inch, but it's actually measuring 6 across. (excels). feedback greatly appreciated, looking at purchasing tonight

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I think they measure rims across the inside edges. That's the only way you could have a consistent measurement. Different rim manufacturers could build rims either thinner or thicker at the bead.

makes sense but the rim width is 6 in across yes the rim is stamped MT17.4T 5.00

how much of a difference will a 160 treaded tire be on a 4.25 rim ?
    Mike
    08' SMR450

can you run a 160 on a stock DRZ?
    '07 drz-400sm
    BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRPPPP..........

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    how much of a difference will a 160 treaded tire be on a 4.25 rim ?
    alot of difference, it does depend on the manufacturer but a 160 on a 4.25 will be pinched and will not perform 100%. run a 150/60

Default 6" sxv wheel

Ok, here's the question.
    I got a 2008 aprilia sxv.5.5 suprmto
    6" rim in the back,,, can I fit this?>>>:150/70B17 TL Rear TwinDuro TKC80-Dual Sport Tire

have a question guys.. better profile for 4.25 would be 150/60 or 150/70? i can easily source 70s but the 60s would be harder where I live. Just asking how much difference there will be in contact patch, etc.. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by coreXx View Post
    have a question guys.. better profile for 4.25 would be 150/60 or 150/70? i can easily source 70s but the 60s would be harder where I live. Just asking how much difference there will be in contact patch, etc.. Thanks.
    150/60 is a better choice..150/70 will not be as good and will look a bit like a donut...just my 2 cents...
    ZIPPER
    94´XR600R

thanks man..

by the way, is it just the looks that would look off?

Quote Originally Posted by coreXx View Post
    thanks man..

by the way, is it just the looks that would look off?
    on the limit , while leaning, a "donut" tyre will not grip as much as a correct tyre...
    ZIPPER
    94´XR600R

thanks again man.. big help.. now to look for that 60 tire.

Wy english is not so good so I must ask so I have got it all right!

I have a 4.25 rim on my Xrr. I drive on "Sporty" tires, like the BT016, Maxxis presa sport MA-PS and so on.. I have always used 160/60. But on the last trackday the instructor said that the rim was to wide for the tire, or something like that.. This would make the tire look like a ballon and the grip would therefore be crap..

And after reading this thread I see that many say that a 150-tire will be good for a 4.25 rim.

Sooooo..

Should I go for a 150-tire instead of the 160-tire I'm running right now?
    Xr650r-Sm and Husqvarna Wr 125 in the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by loy View Post
    Wy english is not so good so I must ask so I have got it all right!

I have a 4.25 rim on my Xrr. I drive on "Sporty" tires, like the BT016, Maxxis presa sport MA-PS and so on.. I have always used 160/60. But on the last trackday the instructor said that the rim was to wide for the tire, or something like that.. This would make the tire look like a ballon and the grip would therefore be crap..

And after reading this thread I see that many say that a 150-tire will be good for a 4.25 rim.

Sooooo..

Should I go for a 150-tire instead of the 160-tire I'm running right now?
    Yes, I agree with your instructor....4.25" rim and a 150 tire are a better combo...
    Brian # 30

KTM 450 SMR

So can a 160 tire and 5 in. wheel perform better than a 150 tire and 4.25 in wheel. For street riding
    2006 Husqvarna SM450R

The original pics are gone. Can someone post em back up if you have em?
    2004 XR650R
    "Yeah, its fast"

Advertisement
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast