SuperMoto Junkie banner

'06 510 tranny noise?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  smokemetallic 
#1 ·
My SMR is making a crunchy grindy type noise when it is neutral with the clutch engaged. If i pull in the clutch it stops. The bike shifts fine and doesnt seem to make any noises while driving. Is it normal? Just the gears spinning? It has made this noise since i got it last year. The bike now has 3300miles on it.

This noise forces me to hold the clutch in at stop lights instead of putting it in neutral.

Dave

#2 ·
A lot of people complain about clutch noise at idle on the 450/510's. Mine makes it as well until you pull the clutch in, then it goes away. Check to make sure that the rivets that hold the main gear to your clutch basket aren't loose, this has been a problem for some people. Occasionally they break off and rattle around in the bottom of the side cover. Disaster waiting to happen if it makes it to the tranny side.

#4 ·
Is the noise really bad, or just a slight difference in sound between clutch engagement/disengagement? Mine makes noise when the clutch is engaged in neutral too, but it's not bad enough to have ever made me question it...

...basically, I'm trying to figure out if you're just being paranoid, lol.

#5 ·
The noise is loud enough to notice with a full face helmet on and the visor closed over the exhaust of the idling bike. So..I would say it is not terrible but it makes me nervous.

The noise is consistant in that it makes the same exact noise every time the bike is idling in neutral with the clutch engaged. It sounds like the gears have a lot of lash and they are bouncing back and fourth.

Should i be concerened enough to take it appart?

How do i check the rivets? is it just a matter of removing the side cover or is it more involved?

I dont remember grinding the gears, if so, i think it would make the noise when moving rather than in neutral.

#6 ·
If you want to check the rivets its real easy. 30 minute job.
Remove the kickstart and move the rear brake out of the way. Tip thebike on its side, so you don't lose any oil. You don't have to remove the smaller round clutch cover, you can leave it attached to the larger sidecover. remove the sidecover/clutch cover up out of the way, leaving the blue anodized oil line attached to the head.
This exposes your clutch basket/gear enough so you can get your fingers behind the gear and feel for protrudnig rivets, and also wiggle everything around to see if anythings loose.

#9 ·
I took off the side cover and checked the said rivets.

The rivets are all there and seem tight.

Everything seems to be in order with a little lash between the gears.

Ill have to listen closer when it gets nice out to pin point the noise.

Thanks again guys and especially smokemetallic for your help.

Dave

#10 ·
I have this too! Just noticed it this weekend after a good hard thrashing. Mine is an '06 450SMR. It had me pretty nervous, like bottom end nervous, but since it goes away when the clutch is pulled in a figured it was clutch/tranny related. I thought maybe it was the plates slapping around or something. The clutch basket on my V-Max will sometimes make noise so I figured it was normal.

Has anyone had this noise lead to a failure? There is no place local that could service my Husky, aside from the KTM dealer.

Mike

#11 ·
The only way the noise is going to lead to a failure is if there is a piece loose or broken off somewhere, or something is out of balance.
The rivets on the clutch basket of some peoples bikes in the past have loosened/fallen out in the past. It's easy to check them.
I did this thread on TT that shows the steps to change out a clutch basket on a 510, you can see where the rivets are, and how to check them.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620686

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.