SuperMoto Junkie banner

Need help, WR450 running rough and backfiring

14K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  sooperxtool 
#1 ·
I have a WR450 2006 and just finished converting it to supermoto for the street. It is running rough and back firing. Does having the stator modified from Baja designs effect how it runs or does the carb need adjusting. Can anybody help diagnosis this problem before I have to fork over cash to the dealer.

#2 ·
I know the jetting and accel pump were completely wrong , on my 07 . my accel pump did nothing . I think it's kind of wierd if you read the forums , everybody put in fatter jets , but mine I tested on a dyno and it was way fat , and then lean when I cracked on it . I rejetted mine and put on a rdpower bowl . I think the dyno run was money very well spent.
so get a jet kit plus an adjustable leak jet and take it to a dyno

#4 ·
I don't see how that stator mod would make it run bad , unless he wired it wrong or did not get good contact at the crimp. I have the same mod in mine . it works fine . Mine backfired and ran like crap on the road until I rejetted it. you use a differant throttle position on the road . wot all the time .

#7 ·
its all jetting or fuel delivery buddy.
im guessing your lean. or like someone mentioned has some issues from having it sit for a while causing some crap to build in the carb. carbs/rejetting arent hard and you should be able to do it without having to take your ride to the shop. pull your carb off, remove the float bowl and smell the inside first off. wierd smell = bad gass = plugged up. take out jets (be careful as most carb parts are brass i.e. soft) and soak them in carb cleaner and blow some air through them. DONT stick wires etc. through holes. let me know what you find.
pics would be sweet

#11 ·
Are you also from colorado or is that just a passing through pic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.