SuperMoto Junkie banner

Interesting phenomenon: SM610 timing / cam chain - CCT

60K views 205 replies 53 participants last post by  Pinepig 
#1 ·
Checked my CCT at 5000km (5 days ago). It was out 9 clicks.

Checked again at 5500km. This time out 6 clicks.

Manual says to change at 10. The CCT has 15 clicks available so I suspect there's a little leeway there.

I do around 750km per week so will update my fellow 'tarders each week or so.

:bike:

#3 ·
i`m getting concerned over this topic here.. my bike sounds a tad clangy at the engin.. mech said i just have a noisy engin and its my cam belt i hear!!!!

So `im on 8400km and thinking i`m taking this bike in on the 1st April for its 10000km service. It will be early but i`m worried that the noise is my belt beating away at my bike..

just have to make it till 1st april so i have the $$$$$ to do the service..been bit low on finances thsi month

#5 ·
Spring loaded clicker should only move in one direction, so you would get the max number of clicks eventually. I could see it making its way back to 9 clicks, but if the CCT is working you wouldn't go from 9 clicks back down to 6 clicks without removing the CCT from the bike. Removing the CCT would change your click starting point, presumption again.

#10 ·
If you remove the spring first, not sure what it would take to move the tensioner? gcab935 reminded me that when I checked mine, I put it right back in and checked it a second time. I was a little under 5k and at 8 clicks and kind of surprised, so I checked it twice. Both times came out to 8 clicks.

#8 ·
I can't see any reason why the engine needs to be at TDC. Even if it was, the ratchet would hold the rod at a fixed (minimum) position so the reading would be the same as at any other point in the revolution.

Good second point though - perhaps I may have caught the rod on the way out at the first check.

No doubt about it though - my engine sure has a nice ping to it!

#11 ·
currently 7250 miles, 10 clicks. ghay.... :( Last I checked was at 4500 miles and it was at 7 clicks. When I put it back I left it at 7 clicks, I didnt reset it. Neither times checked at TDC.

this time I reset it and put it back, gonna check it next weekend to see how far out did it come over the last 300 or so miles.

btw, has anyone been able to get warranty claim on this, new cam chains every 7 months is f'in REDICULOUS!

#12 ·
Ungarisch,

I've had mine on backorder for two weeks now, wtf? The distributor has had them on backorder for longer than that. I am on borrowed time.

Anyone know what size chain it is and how many links? The 450 and 510 tell you that in the manual, but not the 610.

#14 ·
who did you order it from? I'm hoping halls has it in stock, they've had almost everything in stock that I ordered. fuck I think I just gave away my secret :D

I remember reading that RK or some other chain company makes cam chains for huskies, but they only listed like up to 01 610s, should be the same no?

#17 ·
if a car chain can go for over 100,000 miles
why cant bike?
well it can-but if it did they wont sell parts,get it!!
this stuff is designed this way

i sure if you send a brand new chain to a company they can make a stronger on with better quality parts-but im sure it will cost 5x's a stock one

also think of this,to big of a chain might cause parasitic drag and steal horse power

#18 ·
a stock chain is 90-110 bux!!! Plus gasket, plus, plus, plus... how much could an aftermarket cost? some aftermarket company needs to see the market potential in these crappy ass cam chains and capitalize off it like barnett did with the clutch cable. Just a taught, or husqvarna needs to come up with a revised part, or at least a 5 cent spring that doesnt create such tension on the damn chain. its a chain slack adjuster not a tensioner, alot of tension in never good on a chain.

#19 ·
This got me looking around and I noticed that the '08 450, 510 bikes say they got a new cam chain tensioner. I can't find a parts catalog for the '08 but the 510 uses the same style as the 610, it is a different part number though. It wonder what changes they made?

#20 ·
Oh well shit, it says right on the husqvarnausa site that a new cam chain tensioner has been added to the '08 TE 610's. It says it was added to dampen noise. Yeah the noise from your sloppy chain eating your internals.

#22 ·
My bike has 2200 miles, chain tensioner is on the 8th notch. At this rate I'll need another one in about 500 miles. This totally sucks. I guess I better get a new one ordered now. Has anyone replaced one yet? It appears to me the flywheel will have to be removed to replace it, and that would require several hundred more dollars worth of special tools. Also, does the "sprocket" or whatever drives the chain need to be replaced also?? If so add in probably another hundred bucks or so.....sheeit

#35 ·
THE CHAIN SUCKS!! Same prob with the 450's and 510's
Yes push CCT back to 0 and reinstall. It will adjust as needed when running.
And NO u do not need to be at TDC to examine the right amount of clicks on the CCT.

#36 ·
.... I remember reading here that you have to take out the adjuster nut before removing the whole piece from the side of the engine, and then do the reverse to re-install. Did I miss where it said to reset to "0" and is that why some chains wearout really fast after being checked
Yes, remove spring (middle nut) first. Remove tensioner assembly. Read clicks. Reset to zero. Reinstall tensioner assembly. Reinstall spring.

#38 ·
Just checked mine again at 4965mi and still only 5 clicks out. Has not changed since I first checked it at 3500mi. But I did order a cam chain today so I'll have it when I need it (hopefully I'll get thru this riding season on the original), and dealer said no problem have it in a week. If any of you guys are still having trouble getting one let me know and I'll post my dealers number in SC.

Also who's done the swap yet, are the replacements as bad as the originals, any early wear yet? And did you have the motor out of the frame to do the work and/or is it a bitch doing it with the motor still in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.