SuperMoto Junkie banner

Lets get a sticky for 510 jetting and ?'s!!!!!!!

53K views 74 replies 37 participants last post by  SMR510rider 
#1 ·
The 450 and 510 and becoming more popular and I think we all see the same questions being brought up. I also think if we have a Jetting Database this will help tremendously :thumbup:
I will post my Jetting later tonight.
Jetting should be recorded the same way by every SM junkie including Year,Alt, Mods, mj, pj, lj, air screw, and etc.
This way we can all help each other get the most out of our machines.
Let me know what you all think and maybe the MOD can get a sticky for us here :clap:
Thanks
Richie

#35 ·
I have stock exhaust, emissions shit removed on mine. The previous owner installed a JD Jet kit. It runs strong but pops on decel. Normal, or should I make changes to the setup? I am a noob to carbs... so don't get too hissy when responding to this.

#36 ·
2005 SMR510 with TC exhaust (looks like there could have been an airbox lid but there isn't one - maybe for the strangled US market?)
JDJetting kit
185 main
red needle 5th position
45 pilot
2 turns on fuel screw
leak jet
thick o-ring
running at sea level (0-1000m) and cool temps (5-15C)
awesome throttle response, pops and bangs on decel (but no-one to tell me if there are flames)
stock gearing and the front lifts in third without clutch
I'm off racing this weekend so I'll see how it goes flat out on a long street circuit then

#38 ·
on my '07 hus. 510 have full opened stock exhaust,main jet 190,pilot 50, needle 5th position,run great but have backfire from exhaust when rmp drop below 3000-4000rpm.trying to figure out is it a lot or to much fuel,is it pilot to big or main jet,please help somebody?

#42 ·
Hi guys, new to this forum.. I recently bought a TE510-04 wich is converted to a sumo bike. One of the past owners switched the 510 engine to a 450 from a smr-05 because of som valve breakdown.. Now to my question, the bike pops quite a lot at decel, and I think it runs a bit lean on top rpm's because the power isn't fully there.. Jetting on the bike:

Main: 175
Pilot: 37,5
Needle: (Stock), one clip above middle
F/A screw: 1, 3/4 turns

Smartest things for me to do to address my problems?

// Thomas, Sweden

#43 ·
Well I have been doing alot of jetting lately with a wideband. If your jetted close and your still getting popping on decel. Go down one size on the slow air jet. That is located on the intake side in the bell. There are two jets there. The slow air jet and main aur jet. The slow is is outboard one. The same thing apples with the main air jet. Right now I'm at a 182 on the main. I'm going to a 185. But ut will still be a tad lean. If I go 188 it will be too rich. So I will go 185 and drop my main air jet one size.

#45 ·
As usual I have been tuning. My settings are
Obdvq clip 4.5
Fuel screw all the way in.
Paj 7/8 out about a 90
60 leak
Ap set at 2.75mm

Now a little info. If you have a spare fuel screw washer you can use it to shim the clip on your needle for half clip positions.
Also if your running an open exhaust and you are jetted properly you will get popping on decel. I explain this earlier in this thread.
It takes years to understand jetting and to be able feel what's going on and what changes that need to be made.

#46 ·
My buddy picked up a 05 530 and as usual my garage is a husky hangout. I have spent the last week going through it. The carb was a mess missing parts ect, however the silver lining... It had a Jd red in there. Testing back to back the red and a handful of other needles the red was by far the best. Yes I'll be ordering one for my 530. Now my buddy is letting me borrow his LC-1 so we will see the actual A/F ratio soon.
Current setting
Red 5th
42 pilot
182 main
52 leak
AP set at 2.75mm

This is a really great setup guys

#47 ·
For those with questions about chain adjustment on the 450/510... this sticker was on the swingarm of my 2010 SMR510. To me anyway, it reads that you put tension on the chain to make the lower section of the chain fully taut. Then, you take your measurement 145mm from the swingarm pivot axis. At 145mm from the swingarm pivot axis, the upper chain section should have 30mm of up-down movement.

#48 ·
2008 SMR 450 Jetting Issues

Hello Folks

I recently bought a 2008 SMR 450 and I love it, but it is a pain to ride. Previously I have also owned a KLX250 and a Honda Twister, I have also ridden bigger bikes (versys, GS) and none of these bikes have the issues I have with my SMR. The previous owner says this is "normal" for a 450 supermoto, but hell no this can´t be normal for any bike...
It it stutters a LOT when going at less than 3500-4000rpm; it stalls when on gear and not moving, even with the clutch it, so I cannot wait for a red light or a stop sign in 1st gear, it will stall, I have to wait in neutral and sometimes as soon as I change to 1st, it will stall; it also pops when decelerating and it´s also a PAIN to make it start.
I have investigated a lot in forums like this and on the Internet and it seems that a jetting kit will help with these issues; I´m searching for opinions from users of jetting kits; do you believe a kit will help with problems like these? If so, do you have just the set of needles or the "commander computers"? If anyone has had these problems before, and solved them with a jetting kit, what exact kit did you get?

I will appreciate a lot all your opinions and help! :)

Thanks,
Manuel
Costa Rica.

#49 ·
Just purchased a 04 sm450r and the previous owner left some notes.. This was done before the fmf slip-on. Everything else is stock:

Small jet : 50
TMR 41-23
W422

Pilot: 32.5

Main: 177.5

Main jet holder : B

I have no clue what most of this means. Currently, the bike is pretty jerky at low speed, and if I'm in 2nd or 3rd at low speed, and go wide open, it was stutter. It pops a bit on the down rev but from what I hear, that's kind of normal. Anyone have some insight as to what Adjustments I may need?

Thanks

#52 ·
510smr friends i need help jetting my bike. Just rebuilt the whole motor and put in the 530 kit so im looking for some suggestions.

Ok so when i first bought the bike it ran like a freaking dream! Roll on wheelies in 3rd gear and if i tapped the clutch in 4th gear it would come up no problem.

Here was the set up at the time
Stock motor
Stock exhaust (gutted)
Air box lid removed and slots milled in the side panels
185main
48pilot
Dont have a clue what the clip is on the needle
NEVER POPPED ON DECEL EVER

Now heres the current set up
530 kit (stock cams still)
Same exhaust
Same intake setup
200main
48pilot
Still dont have a clue on the clip position on the needle
Boyeson quickshot (adjusted to stock settings)
STILL DOESNT POP ON DECEL

I HAD a 192main jet in there but the powerband was extremily flat and i couldnt even do a roll on wheelie in 2nd gear.
Thats when i made the switch to a 200main and it deffinitely got better but i feel like theres so much more potential in getting more power out that 530 (awesome 1/4-3/4 throttle, but WOT is just a dog in 4th-6th gears)

#54 ·
Damn 200 seems big lol. Should definitely check the clip position and what type of needle. I'm not familiar w the boyseen quick shot but is the AP pump mod done and the throttle stop removed too?

#56 ·
I bought a Sigma6 jet kit for my Husqvarna SMR450 2007, but I am having doubts whether I should install it or not.

I was told that this could have a great impact on technical problems. I don't know if I really need to jet it or not, because the first 500km I made with the throttle stop.

Here I read that the jet kit makes the bike breathe better, but I doubt it that if I keep the stock exhaust this is true.

Should I jet the bike or just removing the throttle stop is enough?

#57 · (Edited)
Heeell no!!!

I removed the throttle stop yesterday ???

It's insaaane! I don't think I'll ever need the jet kit.

It just explodes everytime I turn the throttle, yet it doesn't wheelie. How you do it? Change the sprocket or what? Because from the youtube videos, some SMR are wheelieing in the first gear without enen cranking the throttle, at low revs.

I tried to lean back but I am afraid to pull the handlebar to be honest ?

#58 · (Edited)
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.....What i told you, that power is awesome. But that bike get little more power, when you but better exhaust and re-jet it, dont say never more power. Just bealive now:D

PS.but you should have been buy the sm510r, that could be easy wheelies...Ok, that now past, but just saying..:coffee:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.