SuperMoto Junkie banner

older tards????

148K views 194 replies 105 participants last post by  ktmsupermoto10 
#1 ·
Most of the bikes I see here a pretty damn new! I really want to get into this sport recreationally but I have like no money.... College kid.....

I have been looking into converting an old dual sport, becauseI do still like riding off road alot. I have an 87 cbr600 right now and its my first sportbike and I really dont like it that much, I love hitting twisties, exploring back roads, and I love hitting little jumps off the beaten path. so i guess it seems natural that I should have a motard right????

so I have been looking into older XRs, mainly older DRs, some KLXs, and old Ktm and husabergs. these are the bikes that might be with in my price range.
so I want to see all the guys rockin older bikes and what you suggest I should do??? I know that laced wheels are kinda pricey but I was thinking of a gs500/katana rim swap on a DR. or if I got an XR I have a set of hawk gt rims and with a little skill and luck I wanted to find a gt single sided swinger and do a custom job...

but heres a pic for refrence of whatI would love to have, I think this is a 92 dr350, with gs rims and rm forks...

See less See more
#36 ·
yeh I know I was mainly looking at the price, What year is ur XR? it looks damn nice!

yes a cr500 would be ILL but I live in NY and registering one of those would be damn near impossible!!! plus I dont thi nk I could afford the gas...

I see you have a hawk GT #666 thats soooo sick! My dad has one and I rode it around all summer, such a blast!

#37 ·
i did a super cheap sumo conversion on my trusty 1988 XR250 about 3 years ago. did not last long though since i prefer riding it on dirt. anyway, all i did was dismantle a 1984 honda CBX750F rear mag and drilled holes for spokes on the 3.00 x 18 rim then laced to the stock rear hub and the 2.15x18 rear rim on the front hub. i used a 150/70x18 dunlop for the rear and a 130/70 michelin on the front. total cost? PHP500(almost $10) just for the rim lacing and drill bit i used! the rear mag and tires i found in my dad's junk collection! :lol:

it worked very well in the daily commute and the people here during that time did not know much about supermoto yet so i got a few weird stares from them. :lol:

#180 ·
So, I would really like to learn how you "dismantled a 1984 honda CBX750F rear mag and then laced it with spokes. I have never done anything like this and would very much like to do it on a bike I have. When you say that it didn't last long; do you mean the rim didn't last long or the bike?

#40 ·
:lol: sold the rear rim to a buddy, i sold the tires dirt cheap and my XR is back to stock trim...well kinda. anyway i believe what i did a few years back started a craze here! some of my buddies got so jealous of my 250 tard that they converted there 125cc dual sport mopeds too! heres one! :)

#45 ·
damn and i thought i was the only one that was into the old.well not into it but forced to it, more like it (no money) i made the mistake of buying a new quad and not a bike instead...so i just got a 1986 kdx 200 that im gonna convert i just need to find some wheels and tires cheap ..i have a set of ninja 250 wheels im gonna work on getting on it i pretty much lost intrest till i saw this thread...

#50 ·
thanks man but Colorado is a little far for me!!!!

I have been keeping my eyes out for an old Xt500 or honda XL. kinda hard to find here in the northeast. funds arent to good either <senoir college student>. hope fully in the next year or two I will have a "real" job and some spending money!!!!

keep the pics coming !!!

#53 ·
Here's my 2000 DRZ 400 'E' . I did all the building myself with friends of course . Started life as a offroad only , then went to dualsport with Baja Designs kit , then morphed into a streetard a couple years ago . Can be done on the cheap if you know how to source parts/componants. It's my go to bike out of all the streetbikes I own , (3 of them ).

#55 ·
I live in MS and it was easy to plate here . I took it to the DMV , they ran a check on the vin to see if it was stolen then gave me a tag and sent my title off , the new title now read street. they never looked at the bike .

the bike came with a HRC power up kit in the motor (440 bore , 12:1 piston ,cam ,beefup clucth basket , and beefup primary gear , all form Honda Racing .I put a Mukuni flat slide carb and uni air fliter and a White Brother exhaust on it so far and ss brake lines ,had the suspension re-done with a race tech kit and a eibach spring on the shock . I put some Avon road runner street tires on the stock rims ,and they are sticky as hell every bit as good as my B-stones 014 on my svs650 track bike. Im having to much fun riding it right now to do any thing else to it . Maybe this summer I'll get 17" rims and tires . and post pics

#62 ·
Very nice indeed!

Question, under the rear fender you have 2 orange lensed turn signals and 1 white lensed turn signal?

I assume the white lens is the running / brake light and the 2 orange units are the left and right turn signals?
Thanks SIRR1
yes, two orange are signals, and the clear is running/stop (red LED's). wanted to just put an intergraded tail but only have one on my zx-6r and was not about to cut that up lol

thats a badass ktm. theres a 300 exc around here for sale that i want to do the same too, just worried about streetability for commuting being a two stroke and all
depending on how far its not bad. I really wanted a 300 but could not find one in my price range then my 200 popped up on creagslist for a price i couldnt let go :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.