SuperMoto Junkie banner

Hyosung supermoto

74K views 138 replies 83 participants last post by  Kansas Badass 
#1 ·
This months Motorcyclist showed a 450cc Street legal supermotor from Hyosung. Maybe a nice low cost alternative.

We'll have to see this fall
:headscrat

#3 ·
yeah, looks like a 610! :lol: now no one go and get all butt hurt, it's just a joke. :lol:

#4 ·
What a joke!! :laughingr Man, I worked at a Yamaha dealership that started to carry Hyosung...one day the rep brought by one of their "sportbike" models and told me to take it for a ride and tell him how I liked it. Rode it and told him it was way worse than a Ninja 250 much to his dismay. God I hate these knockoff brands!!

But that's just my $.02 for what it's worth.

#6 ·
It looks like just what it is......a cheap knockoff of a Husky. And I'm willing to bet my DRZ that it doesn't have the performance to back up the looks either. I know a guy who owns a UM motors sumo setup and has had a lot of trouble out of it. I've waited over two years so I could afford something reliable from a good company....I could've cheaped out at any time and bought something like this. But as I've gotten older I've realized that the old saying "you get what you pay for" really does hold true in most things.

#13 ·
A husky knockoff? I think Hyosung is aiming more for the Suzuki DRZ SM market and, in fact, has manufactured engines for Suzuki.

The Hyosung, according to their press release, is 265lbs, has a 6-speed, fuel injection, and makes 50hp. It's the DRZ that's looking pretty cheap in comparison to me.

Even if you hate the Hyosung, you have to love the competition. Suzuki will never get off their lazy asses and update the DRZ SM without competitive pressure. They've proven that for many years.

Hyosung introduced the RX450SM at the trade shows a year ago and said it would be a 2008 model. Since then it has completely disappeared. The local dealer doesn't know anything about the bike or when it will be for sale, and the bike isn't shown on Hyosungusa.com. :hmmm: I was convinced it was vaporware, but if Motorcyclist has tested it I can't wait to read the article.

#7 ·
i will never buy a bike in which i cant say the name of it. haha

#10 ·
It a Korean bike. I'm not here to sell, stand up for, or generally defend Hyosung, but...I did have one of their 250cc sport bikes and it was pretty fun for what it was. I paid 3900 brand new and put 2k on before I sold it. BTW Hyosung has beed around for over 50 years and they actually assemble some of Suzuki's bikes....not the SS or MX bikes but some of the others.

I'm not telling everyone to go out and buy a Hyosung, but this thing will prob retail for under 5k and it's a 450SM. Might be the right fit for a Newb.

#9 ·
if they can deliver on a claimed weight of 260lbs dry and 50bhp it would be one of the better street sumo's available. problably won't be all that cheap I would bet still at least six grand. I am pretty shure they are korean. We just aren't getting any help from japan on getting a decent dual sport or sumo.

#15 ·
I looked up the hyosung ATV online(450cc) and its a hair slower then a 660R raptor. So i'd bet its around 40hp. I wouldnt be suprised if the same motor would be used in this bike. Not the best, but plenty of power to hang with anything in its price range.

IMO anyone who groups hyosung in the "knock off market" is just plain ignorant on the subject. I've researched their sportbikes and i've heard great things. I might even buy a 650 in a few weeks for commuting.

#16 ·
Yep. I wouldnt knock Hyosung. My chick has got the GT650R road bike and I reckon its pretty good value for money. Its not far off my Husky 570 (bored to a 600 with other goodies) in a straight line, she is about 50 kg and I am 100 kg however. But over all it looks alright, goes good and has so far been reliable.

#18 ·
Sent this to the Hyosung folks today (allen@hyosungmotorsusa.com; davidl@hyosungmotorsusa.com; stkim@hyosungmotorsusa.com)

Maybe if more of us do something similar, we could accelerate the release?

Hyosung Folks,

I am very interested in any information you can give me about the RX450SM. I live in California so I hope that this bike will become available there. I found this thread where one of the posters mentions a November 2008 release date; is this true? I have copied Mr. Laugs as I saw him post in another thread regarding this bike.

From what I gather, the prototype shown late last year was a 265lb dry supermotard with a fuel-injected 450cc engine putting out ~50hp (the same engine in your previously released TE450S ATV). It had USD forks, brembo brakes, wave rotors, and a six speed transmission. Will the production version match these specifications? I can state with high certainty that such a bike for ~$5K would sell very well here as there is currently nothing from the Japanese manufacturers sold in the USA that is similar. There are a few european bikes that would line up well with this, but they are a few thousand dollars more and (hopefully) far less reliable; even so, those bikes (KTM EXC/SM series, Husqvarna SM series, and Aprilia SXV series) all sell fairly well. The carburated Suzuki DRZ400SM and Brand new EFI Yamaha WR250X sell very well, though they are ~$6K and have but 30 hp.

I and many others would be interested in purchasing the RX450SM. I have come across many laments wishing for bigger, more reliable EFI Motards and if you have a bike to fit that niche, you should be selling it here.

So please, please, please sell the RX450SM in the USA (specifically California).

Distilled Version:

When will this bike be here?
Will it be similar to the prototype?
What is the targeted price point?
Please, please, please.
Thanks,

#20 ·
You people are a piece of work!

Funny........Everyone was knocking the reliability of the 200 also with claims that a friends distant relative owned one and it nothing but trouble but in reality there have been only good things being said from people who actually bought them.

You people bitch because there are not enough turn key SM bikes on the market and Now people are knocking the reliability of a bike that has net even been released!

Sometimes I wonder why a company would even want to produce a bike for such a bitchy crowd!

Hyosung please bring the bike to production!

#22 ·
I was wondering too where this bike went. I've also heard pretty good things about their sportsbikes.

Another pic:

Also found this spec list:

-Single Cylinder DOHC 4-valve engine (449cc = 54 hp in TE450)
-CrMo alloy tubular frame
-180/55 ZR17 Rear "Tyre" (haha)
-Brembo Calipers - Radial mounted
- 260mm (Front) & 250mm (Rear) "wavy" disc rotors
-Water Cooled (BAD MOVE!!)
-Oil reservoir in frame tubes
-6 speed (true?)
-Adjustable Front & Ohlins Rear Susp
-Silicon Alloy cylinder sleeves & PF Diecast Pistons
-E-start and Reverse (lol, joke from TE450 quad)
-3 Year Warranty

its supposed to go into production end of 2008.

#24 ·
The only first hand experience I have with these bikes is.....
I was at the New York bike show last year with a couple of buddies, one of them happens to be my ins. agent, he sat on one of the sportbike models (dont know what model - didnt care) and starts joking around. He started squeezing the front brake lever and said " hey ya think I can make this thing blow a seal or something " when the lever broke right off the master cylinder, I mean not just the lever but the actuall casting of the master. I thought I was gonna piss my pants, but when we walked away , the reality set in , I can only imagine if that happened in panic situation !!!!!!!
So I think for myself, I'll be sticking with the higher priced "PROVEN" models and not taking chances with my safety. I'm pretty good at being dangerous all on my own !!!!!!!!

#25 ·
the force he put on that brake lever in a stopped position would have sent the bike end over end in a "panic situation".... you dont realize just how little force your typical brake lever requires to pick a bike up into a stoppie.

honestly, i could probably at least BEND the typical brake lever just squeezing on it at a stop position.

but even so, a casting breaking - not so good.

#28 ·
C'mon bro, go out to your bike right now and squeeze your brake lever, if you can bend it with your hand pressure , I WILL BUY YOU A NEW ONE!

#26 ·
its crap..yes...
but you said the same thing about the Japanese after WW2. Cheap knock off crap...Now look at the Japanese....

You'll see what happens in a few years....when the Chinese start flying to Mars, and living in the center of the earth

#29 ·
Recall how poorly built and utterly craptastic Hyundais were when they first hit the market. Now look at them, or hell...even KIA makes a pretty decent car these days. Now, I don't own either, or desire one, but I have to recognize the strides they have made. People laughed at Japanese products, now they name their children after them. It is only a matter of time until these bikes are on par with Japanese products. The South Koreans are quite capable.

Mike

#39 ·
I'm all for new stuff. Hell...even new stuff from proven manufacturers have teething problems. Bt yeah...I always wait until they get rid of all their baby teeth and get their permanent teeth. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.