SuperMoto Junkie banner

690 sm vs 690 smc

27K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  elkbow 
#1 ·
i know the specs between the two but what is the purpose for both. the smc seems more like a real supermoto bike and the sm seems like a street cruiser. is that true or do i have it wrong. i cant really see myself jumping a sm it looks to big and heavy. any ways let me know your guys thoughts.

#4 ·
my friend works for KTM and I asked him the same questions, here is his answer:

First off, we don't offer the SM's past 2007, just the SMR and SMC (which is new for the model year). The SMR and the SMC have completely different chassis geometry.

For riding styles, the SMR has a much more aggressive riding style, where at the SMC has more of a dirt-bike feel to it. With the SMR you will be forced to sit at the front portion of the seat and on the SMC you can ride comfortably at most any position of the seat. I'm not sure how tall you are, but if you are tall (over 6'2 or 3") you might find the SMR a bit uncomfortable. Either way, the SMC will be all-out more comfortable. It also has no subframe, as the plastic tank that resides under the seat doubles as the subframe. The fill hole for the tank is to the rear of the seat. The SMR, however, has the traditional top-mounted tank, so it may be slightly more top-heavy, although not that bad.

As far as handling goes, I'm venturing out on a limb to say the SMR has better handling all around due to how low it is off the ground and the suspension geometry. They both use a linked rear suspension and use a Trellix-style frame so they're very rigid. I haven't had a chance to ride an SMC yet as we don't have one in our Demo lineup. I am supposed to be taking delivery on one early this week, so when I get it uncrated and PDI'd, I'll snap a few pics for you. We had one in Vegas, but it was a loaner bike from Austria and they needed it back after the ride.

#5 ·
also he said this to me:

I just spoke with a guy here in charge of what dealers get what bikes, and he said that the 690 SMCs are shipping to dealers this week, so some will see them by Thursday or Friday, depending on location. Our warehouse is in Norfolk, Virginia so most likely the dealers in your area will see them early next week.

#7 ·
ha, yeah, i got some pics he took of the SMC from when they were running around at shows, the pipes are what really is ugly on the SMR, the SMC looks sharp if you ask me, part of the lighter weight on the SMC is probably the subframe, the SMR also has a bit more HP

#8 ·
I have the 07 690sm and it is more street based. I love the wild look of the pipes and "beak". But then I like exotics and things that are different than the norm. Another thing is I can ride the SM for long distances and have done 600 mile round trips with it. Something I wouldnt want to do on a SMC. They are both great bikes for their intended purpose. I just prefer going against the norm.

#9 ·
lol...yeah my friend that works for KTM is the same way, he likes the pipes, looks, etc....the SM's are his favorite bikes...I asked him why they weren't bringing in the 990 SM, the fuel injected bike, he said because the sales on the 950 were so poor last year, the elected not to bring it in...I told him thats because they had carb's, when everything else is fuel injected, and you can add a programmer and not have to pull the carbs all apart, people are going to stay away from the carbs

but said that if they brought in the 990 SM, i would have my down payment on one...

#10 ·
I sat on the 950 SM and it felt big. I feel more comfortable on the 690 SM. Same as when they tried to sell me a Nissan Titan. The Frontier fit me so much better. Not that I am short at 5'10", its just my own feelings.

#12 ·
I told him thats because they had carb's, when everything else is fuel injected, and you can add a programmer and not have to pull the carbs all apart, people are going to stay away from the carbs
Hell, I'd take a flatside carb or CV over FI anyday. They may not be as smooth but they are both simple to tune and easy to maintain. I like when the power comes on in a nearly uncontrollable manner. Keeps things fun. I'll admit, though, that for a single built to the 690's performance level FI is probably the better choice.

I dig the SM a bit better myself. Splits the difference between the Duke and the SMC nicely. With a set of pipes tucked behind the brackets they look pretty tits.

#16 ·
ha, you live in florida, thats why you don't know why i say 'i need fuel injection', we ride anywhere from 4500 - 13000 feet in the same day, do you know where you can tune your carbs to run right, ideally about a 3000 foot elevation change, but when you go outside that, you run richer higher and leaner lower....and you will notice the power change....the FI compensates, it compensates so well i was amazed at the change in fuel mileage, i went on a quad, same motor, one with, one without fuel injection, the fuel injection one got almost 30% better fuel mileage, and we are freaks when it comes to tuning, wideband O2 connected to our computers, etc....

sure i can tune a carb well, but when i can take a Power Commander, through it on a dyno, make custom maps that will work at any altitude around here, i'll stick with fuel injection

i always love it when flatlanders think they know what they are saying ha

oh, BTW, I lived in Daytona for 8 years, raced motorcyles as my fun, 3 regional championships and 2 amatuer national championships at daytona, i know a little about tuning

#17 ·
I've been in Florida for only the last few years. I've lived from NY to CA.

I know how EFI works.

What altitude and environmental conditions a map is tuned at should be irrelevant, anyway.

I did not debase your tuning prowess in any way. :bowdown:

All I'm saying is that unless I'm racing up mountains everyday on my commute, I prefer a carb. :thumbup:

#18 ·
problem is, thats all i do, of course unless i'm riding to work, then i only change about 500 feet on the ride, but anywhere you go from here in Albuquerque, its gonna change a minimum of 3000 feet, i've ran alot of carb'd machines here, can get them dialed for general riding, but not the ideal tuning....

since the EFI machines of a barometric pressure sensor, they adjust for the air density, etc., which you just can't do with a carb, I also have a Inovate wideband O2 tester, so even on the carbs we get them right, but only for where we set them at, then you have a + and - range from there....whereas on the EFI machines, we've set them at 5000 feet, then rode up to 9000 feet and checked them again and the A/F ratio was really close....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.