SuperMoto Junkie banner

A HOW TO : 610 Cam Chain Replacement

192K views 232 replies 61 participants last post by  salty_monk 
#1 ·
Ok guys i just got a nice little package delivery from Dan at Motoxotica. :bowdown:Last week he told me cam chains were out a month on B/O, the UPS man just dropped one off at my house ten minutes ago...

So heres the start of it,
Paid 166 bucks for the following items listed by part number

800058541 --> Husky Cam Chain $95.95
38010019 --> Motion Pro Flywheel Puller (labeled YFM, 35mm X 1.5mm) R.H.$38.99 unless ya want the one from husky which is around $100
800063644 --> Waterpump Gasket$4.99
161503601 --> Valve cover Gasket x2 $2.99 ea

Ill be doing the work on the bike after i finish this damn summer school. Ill be posting necessary tools, procedure, any little tricks i find along the way and small details i would want my feller 610 riders to know... as well as my typical barrage of pictures for those who just dont want to read my babel.

DELIVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be continued...

See less See more
#215 ·
06 smr510

I need a favor from you guys. I got this husky 510 used, the lower chane roller doesn't seem to be in the right place. Right now is held were the botom bolt is for the bike stand, seems a litle to low,the chain is rubbing the frame( crossmember). I cant fit a biger roller either cuz is to close to the crossmember
I looked the parts manual and the bolt is grayed out, no clue whe it goes.
A picture would be appreciated very much.

Thank you.

#217 ·
Thanks for the reply. So I figured that's the part is gone.
Now it's time to figure out to weld something back. Currently the engine is off for head work so I'll wait till that's done and have the chain installed.
Need to make something stronger than factory I gues but in the same time not to block that bolt for the swing arm.

Attachments

#219 ·
The roller and roller mount is missing. Hard to figure it out from the picture I know cuz the chain is not on.
I'm going to take more picture and probably open a new thread.
Apreciate you trying to help

#223 ·
how many links?

Can someone give me a count on number of links in a 610 chain?
I'm trying to buy chain off the roll here in central America.
Tried to count off the photo but it's blurry.

I like the idea of splitting the chain.
Feed it through the cap.
Just need to peen a link together.

#225 ·
I just bought my second 07 SM610, checked the CCT and it only had 2 clicks left on the rod :headshake Looks like I will be doing this hopefully in the next week or so.
I went ahead and called my local dealers and no one had the parts in stock, so I then called Hall's Cycles and turns out the had all the parts in stock. They were very knowledgeable, professional, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for parts.
I was able to get the parts for less than what the original post prices were plus $14.00 for shipping.
Cam chain $60.75
Water pump gasket $2.99
Valve cover gasket $0.99 each
Reed valve petal $5.25
Valve stop $5.99
Reed valve screws $0.99 each
Flywheel puller tool $29.50
They also gave me a little bit of a military discount on top of these prices so I was very satisfied. Parts were ordered and shipped 4/14/2016 and are scheduled to be at my doorstep 4/19/2016. Ill keep you guys updated! Cant wait to get the bike back on the road! :D

#227 ·
how many links?

Can someone please give me a count of how many links in the timing chain.

I found chain but don't know how long to order it.

Someone Please... take ten and give me a count.

I think I have found a solution to the timing chain stretch and grief and will post everything when I get it together.

#232 ·
All pics are reloaded onto the first post... thanks for the heads up hollywoodcrash

...Edit, damn photobucket had their watermark all over the place, right click each photo needed for detail and open in new tab and it will come clear as day. Happy cam chain quarantine day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.