SuperMoto Junkie banner

sumo xr400 pics

86K views 53 replies 34 participants last post by  GoTeamHonda 
#1 ·
Post up pics of your ride.

#2 ·
1996 XR400 frame and that about all that remains from the donor bike.

Complete running XR400 purchased for $300 in 2007.

Punched out to 426cc Weisco, Stage 2 Hot Cam, X-Rod, 2005 TRX400EX Crank, 2001 Center Cases, Upgraded 2001 Transmission and Kick Starter Assembly, TRX400EX 160 watt Stator, Cover and Starting Assembly, 3 Angle Valve Job, Ported and Polished, Kibblewhite Valves and Springs, 36mm Edelbrock, FMF Power Bomb mated to a FMF IV Power Core Silencer, High Rev CDI, Barnett Heavy Duty Clutch and Springs.

Did I mention she is electric start!

1987 CBR600F1 Rims, 2001 CR250 Inverted Forks, Goodridge SS brake lines.

Avon Venom Radials Tires, Kevlar Brakes, Fat Bars, G2 Bark Busters, Vortex 15/40 520 Final Drive

LED Brake and Blinkers, HRC Aluminum Sub-Frame, Acerbis Plastic.

This XR4 turned out much better than I ever could have imagined, she is #34 out of 35 bikes I have owned over the years and my 2nd Supermoto that I have built in the past 4 years.

She handles incredibly well on the high speed twisties and a very forgiving motorcycle over all!

The complants of being a heavy bike in the woods disapears on the road, if anything this XR4 could use a few more pounds over the ass end to help with rear wheel braking.

I built the XR4 to run down the dozens of DRZ 400 in my town, they run in packs and they all think there gods gift to Supermoto.

At first they were all cool and lets ride, but now the local DRZ pack won't have anything to do my little sumo because they know they can't out run her, mission accomplished!

#7 ·
why thank you !! i love my bike and xrs in general. just good quality, reliable fun!!
i am after the same thing in a woman!!! ;)

this thread is good i havent seen a lot of xr400 based chat on smj so calling all xr400 owners/lovers this is the place to be

#8 ·
Hahaha, yeah, my dream would be a hottie chic that rode a SumO, lollz.
I had an XR400 new in 1998, and managed to street legal it before the DMV began cracking down a few years later. It wasn't SumO'd though, had it set for dirt, 'cept the lights and blinkers, hehe.

#11 ·
i just bought 1 today ....

just bought 1 today has the following

SV Clutch Lever
ASV Brake Lever
Magura Hydraulic Clutch with integrated decompression lever
SRC Fork Braces
SRC Case Saver
SRC Engine Guards
Moose Bark Busters
Renthal Medium Grips
Acerbis Black SM Front Fender
Acerbis Black Side Panels
Light Speed Carbon Fiber Glide Plate
Moose Heavy Duty Shifter
Maier MX Style Rear Fender
Baja Designs LED Taillight and License Plate Light
DHH Dual Halogen DOT Headlight
LED Turn Signals
FMF Powerbomb Header
FMF SuperCore IV
ProTaper Handlebars
Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit
TrailTech Speedo and Odometer
Custom Chain Guard (Needed for PA inspection) that can easily be removed
Heavy Duty Chain Guide
Rear Disk Shark Fin
Works Connection Brake Fluid Reservoir Cover
ASV Rotator Clamps for both the Brake and Clutch
A Loop Gas Tank and Seat Combo (Gives 2 Stroke Look)
Stock Front and Rear Sprocket with O Ring Chain
42 Tooth Rear Sprocket
Non O ring chain fitted for 42 tooth rear sprocket
Motomaster Rear Flame Brake Disk EBC brake pads with about 350 miles
Motomaster Flame 4 Piston Race Brake Caliper with 320 mm sprocket with about 350 street miles
Stainless Steel Front Brake Line
Uni Air Filter
MSR Mirrors
RaceTech Rear Spring
Applied Racing Crossbar Pad
Street Tires are Continental Supermoto DOT
Excel Talon Black Rims with Gold Hubs 17x3.50 front and 17x4.25 rear

#12 ·
Here is mine.

I have sold the wheels. I have a few parts for sale.

Pumper carb with cable's
triple clamp for 1 1/8" bars
Brembo master with brake switch
Russel braided front brake line

If any one is interested PM me

Their is a very good XR 400 thread here already. Lots of info.

I had a great time on my XR

Fred

#16 ·
Xr400r

Hey all you XR400 riders, nice to see the finest off road motorcycle ever built being enthused about. Just bought an 05 XR4, apparently one of the last produced, but now i've no money to do anything with it; watched that "supermoto madness" video on youtube and just knew what I wanted from my motorcycling.
I'm thinking lace an 18" rear rim to the front hub, who said sumo wheels need to be 17", that size only came about through greater tyre choice, who says 18" isn't better??

Long live the XR4!

#39 ·
Hey all you XR400 riders, nice to see the finest off road motorcycle ever built being enthused about. Just bought an 05 XR4, apparently one of the last produced, but now i've no money to do anything with it; watched that "supermoto madness" video on youtube and just knew what I wanted from my motorcycling.
I'm thinking lace an 18" rear rim to the front hub, who said sumo wheels need to be 17", that size only came about through greater tyre choice, who says 18" isn't better??

Long live the XR4!
18" definitely look better IMO on tall dirt bikes. The flat trackers look awesome with 19"!
I think in a few more years 17" will be less and less dominate on street motards.
I've built 3 now and if I did anything over, it would be 18" wheels.

#17 ·
All oz XR sumo fully rebuilt top to bottom

HAd a few things left to do like Fat bars, lowering kit, front brake and a bit of paint but it was mostly done.... maybe CRF forks a bit later.

Full bottom and top end rebuild
Stage 2 hot cam
Slipper Clutch
FMF exhaust and custom headers
Full protection pack
Stock XR4oom rims
CRF rear guard
Molded Alien Streetfighter Headlights
Acerbis Front Guard
A few Stickers here and there

Had it on the road for 2 weeks before someone decided it was a good idea to pull out on me, now i'm here telling the story with a compound fractured destroyed leg. No real harm done...... much.
Bike is a repairable write off :headshake

Can't win em' all!

Attachments

#27 ·
xr 400 retard

New here so let me start by saying HELLO... I have a 98 xr400 that i have had for about 12yrs now and had loads of fun green laneing in Wiltshire & south wales (UK) Am now after putting it on the road as a SM.It is already road legal.But i note some of you are useing cbr600f1 wheels.Can you tell me if these fit straight in? If not what work is involved? SM wheels make stupid money over here so I like the idea of the F1 wheels as these go for peanuts here. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

#28 ·
Jonny- I'm the current owner of Sirr1's XR supermoto with the CBR rims - I haven't ever had the pleasure of talking to him about the build (different owners in between he and I), but to my knowledge, the sprocket on there is a CBR sprocket. Definitely not a sprocket that would fit XR rims.

Piggyonahog- Again, as I only own the bike and it was already converted, I can only guess, but the rims seem to fit very closely in, but I imagine some machining is required. Google indicated as much to me, and the front end on this bike is swapped with a CR front end, so its really hard to say about the front fitment. I do believe that the stock front CBR disc brake is in use, though severly cut down, and a caliper moving braket is in use, but i'm not sure where it came from.

Hope this helps... I'd be able to go take a look at the bike for better answers, but its currently out of comission at my garage across town as the idiot previous owner (second one after sirr1) didn't run any oil in the bike and burned the cam, causing me to suck a valve on the track :/

#29 · (Edited)
Fallerd, Thanks for the response, sorry to hear about the valve problem. You have a nice looking bike and its one of the reasons I wanted to use the CBR wheels. I did find that Vortex makes a 520 conversion for the CBR600F1 part # 232A it comes in sizes from 38t to 54t and runs $65.00. Just in case you or any body else is looking for one.

Piggyonahog, Not sure if this will help but here it goes. I'm in the process of putting F1 wheels on my XR250, for the front I'm making spacers and buying new bearings with the correct inside diameter for XR axle and making a new spacer that goes inside the wheel between the bearings. Making a caliper bracket so I can use the CBR Ft rotor. As for the rear, I'm still working on fitting it (just got the new sprocket) but looks like I will need to make spacers for the axle (CBR and XR250 rear axle same diameter so CBR bearings will work) make a thin spacer to move the sprocket outward, and then have the brake rotor mounting surface of the wheel milled to line up the rotor with caliper. I have a lathe so making spacers will only cost the materials + some labor. But will have to get the rear rotor mounting surface done at a local machine shop. Hope this helps Jonny

#31 ·
Heres my xr...

some work done...
JE 416 cc piston 10.8:1 comp
new valve seating
new valve seals
did heavy duty cam chain
polished ports
sprayed frame red
standard gearing (15 45)
msi footpegs
msr clutch and brake levers
barnett carbon clutch
seal savers
dunlop slicks
crf rear fender
acerbis front fender
protaper handlebars
K & N air filter
white bros slipon
polisport headlight
and last but not least, polished swinging arm (took the crap out of me :nutkick:)

outcome...very happy with it, power is phenomenal! in a small circuit will keep up with any bike. next step mikuni carb...waiting for some cash :bowdown:

Attachments

#33 · (Edited)
nice looking xr Ken-it. here's a pic of mine. i've only had her in sumo trim for a few months now, i usually ride dirt so this is a cool new experience for me.

2004 XR400
USD Fork swap
Mikuni Pumper Carb
FMF Exhaust
Talon hubs- Excel hoops
Scotts Stabilizer
Pro Taper Bars
UNI Air Filter
Polisport rear fender
Cycra front fender
etc, etc, etc $$$

#34 ·
cool looking bike, love those front forks! body work looks great, could use some decals though. 2 questions, did u spray paint the fuel tank black and if so those the spray hold on due to fuel residue. And what do you think about the mikuni, price vs power, is it worth-it?
Very neat looking bike!

#36 · (Edited)
Thanks ken-it. The forks are a huge improvement over the stockers. I could do without decals and labels. If I added the decals from all the aftermarket parts (and fabricated pieces) I put on this bike it would be obscene. I like the "no label" look, just my preference.

The tank is a Clarke 3.8 gal black. No paint. I've seen posts about changing the color of tanks and the best process I've read is the boiling with color.

As far as the Mikuni goes...well worth it. One of the best mods I did to this bike.

Whats that on the left side under your fender?
It's an anodized aluminum toolbox. I bought it when riding just dirt to store tools and a spare tube. It bolts to the sub frame. Quality piece for storage. I'll post a pic of the sticker on it when I get a chance, pretty funny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.