SuperMoto Junkie banner

dave's WR250X, or what's left of it anyway...

60K views 85 replies 35 participants last post by  dave_in_michigan 
#1 ·
This is a thread to summarize the mods I've made to my '08 WR250X. The details are all in other threads, I'm just posting a list of links here as a summary.

If you've got an opinion on this bike, post it up.

- Dave

#2 ·
Here's what it looks like now, with 2085 miles on the odometer:

View attachment 48716

Here is the history of mods, with links to more details wherever possible:

6/12/08
- WR250X purchased from Motor City Power Sports
- removed all stickers and reflectors​
6/18/08
- cut front fender ~4.5 inches shorter, Mil style.
- stiffened up suspension settings a bit​
6/25/08
- removed airbox flapper, hoses, etc; "flapper mod"
- removed, then modified and replaced the spark arrestor
- "Plan B" axle sliders
7/4/08
- painted white side panels matte black; Krylon spray can, "formulated for plastics". Liked the look but not very durable.​
7/8/08
- DR "Edge" tail light, Flasher Type 602, and IC relay, all from http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/. Here's the installation thread. Note: torque the fork pinch bolts to 16 ft-lbs (192 in-lbs)​
7/9/08
- Added fuel by biasing temp sensor input; added 5k resistor pot inline with sensor, like MPFab did.​
7/10/08
- further cut and flanged the spark arrestor
- removed the airbox door​
7/17/08
- removed radiator front deflector plastics
- Chopped / removed airbox ! Gettin' more serious, now.​
7/20/08
- EXUP servo removed, 10k resistor installed between black/red and the white/red wires. (prevents fault code). This resistor physicaly broke in half later, and I replaced with 10K + 22k in parallel = ~7.5k
- removed the Air Induction System.
- removed the kickstand switch. spliced the two wires together (= stand is up)​
7/26/08
- installed dynojet powercommander PCIII USB PN 432-411
- Bobbed the tank shroud plastics !!! (TT version.) Now we're gettin' somewhere!​
7/30/08
- Mirrors: cheapo crg knock-offs. $49/pair, and they feel like it.​
8/2/08
- fmf powercore # 044270 (100dB, stock=88dB @ 5k). Drilled out the spot weld to reuse the stock clamp, high temp rtv silicone to seal at the header
- fmf powerbomb header # 044269, direct from fmf
- wrapped exhaust with DEI 010121 2" black short roll from Amazon, like wkboardr.
- K&N air filter: # YA-3586
- uploaded wkboardr's PC3 map for Yosh pipe, airbox door removed, KN filter.
- fabbed a support bracket for the radiator.​
8/5/08
- remounted the horn down front above the regulator.
- loaded "smoothed" version of wkboarder's map (TT version)
8/22/08
- Installed Pro grip rally 737 grips, SKU#41150
- Moose Racing handguard protectors SKU# 68558
- SME bar end sliders $10 + 10 shipping. I mounted using the aluminum bar-end hardware that came with the mirrors, instead of the rubber hose.​
8/31/08
- removed front fender and mocked up front R6 hugger fender
- Put in a little bracket to hold the headlight and left the stock fender off.​
9/8/08
- tried out rustyg61's map file, but went back to wkb_smooth2
9/13/08
- R6 front hugger fender installed ! Startin' to come together now...​

Next up:
- rear hugger
- headlight replacement

Later:
- 46T rear sprocket + new chain + speedhealer
- relocate the battery; lay it flat up higher under the seat
- maybe clean up / reduce the wiring this winter.
- modify the seat
- clean up some rough edges

#3 ·
F*** yeah! I love it, it's like a modern rat-bike. Looks sweet. I always love stripped down, simple designs.

#4 ·
Thanks. Petemit called it 'tard fighter style, which seems about right to me. I've always been a fan of both the naked streetfighters and the old stripped-to-the-bone Harleys.

rythmofbeing's got a really cool XR650R you might like:

Nice subframe, eh? Some custom aluminum under that seat.

His was definately an inspiration for me. Props due. :bowdown:

#5 ·
Yo , thanks for all the help with the EXUP, i think the look is sweet, i really like the airbox removal thing you did. Does it go any faster with it stripped like you have it or is it the same , anyway its badass dude.

#20 ·
In some cars, it takes a few non-fault startups for a CEL to clear... but damned if I know if that's the way it works on the WR.

I'll try the 10k. I read the instructions for an EXUP bypass on TT, and it looked like a bit of a project, but if just one resistor will do it, I'm there.

#23 ·
Thanks!

Well, I found out I can't go back and update the list at the beginning of this thread. I got the rear hugger on, and was hoping I could just go back and edit that post to add to the list and update the pic, but the forum here doesn't let you edit older posts. :damn:

Oh well.

#24 ·
Update...

I did weigh it, btw (posted in another thread). Got 145.5 at the rear and 134.5 at the front for a total of 280. I was 30 miles into a full tank, so topped off wiht that extra 1/2 gallon it should be around 283 curb weight. That's with a full toolbox attached, rear hugger on, stock sprocket, etc...

I mail ordered a chunk of 6061 T6 billet aluminum, and I'm having it milled by a friend into a headlight bracket. I'll do a little work on it this weekend and should have the headlight on then. Pics to follow. Maybe Sunday...

#26 ·
Wow, haven't checked up on things for a while, I'm really diggin' that front hugger, I really think I need to get a R6 front fender soonish :D Afterwards I might be doing my front headlight as well... I ride a ton at night and the stock one is just kinda "meh"

keep up the good work dave!

#36 ·
OK Dave, not exactly the look I'm going for with mine, but I think that's great you're turning it into YOUR bike. :clap:

Now, maybe I missed it, but what does it weigh in at now?

I've already taken a few parts off mine. I expect more will follow.

#38 ·
Well, so far I've removed the passenger pegs and the tools.

I haven't looked at it in detail yet, but I'm eyeing the tail assembly that hangs down and thinking that something can be done there. :hmmm:
I also expect that muffler is heavy compared with an after market unit.
I'm thinking a trim on the front fender too, although that won't really affect the weight.

A nice set of Marchesini forged wheels would be nice, but I don't see that one happening. :laughingr

#39 ·
I haven't looked at it in detail yet, but I'm eyeing the tail assembly that hangs down and thinking that something can be done there. :hmmm:
Lots of folks buy the DRC Edge from wheelingcyclesupply, but a few guys have cut and reassembled the stock one & they look really good. Search around, you can probably find what others have done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.