SuperMoto Junkie banner

Requirements for Street Legal Motorcycles

228K views 108 replies 84 participants last post by  KRFTW95 
#1 ·
What up guys, I always see a lot of post for people wanting to title their bikes and make them street legal, Iran across this site from the AMA that list all the requirements for different states, Hope it help some of y'all getting your bike legal.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

#35 ·
in pa with an arizona title

i'm in the boat as far as wanting to title my kx 250 for street use. i've got a 2000kx250 that i am converting to street tard. it was previously titled in pa but when i moved to arizona i got the title and plate pictured. i have not retitled it in pennsylvania so what steps should i take from this point. i've got time i'm still in the process of rebuilding and its going to be awhile. thanks to all that reply. jimvpa!

Attachments

#98 ·
2 things

So, in my experience, only certain motorcycle shops who cater to racers are going to be aware of the "no headlight" law in VA. It's a weird one, but they only require a headlight for nighttime use. I'm guessing it's a really old law, but that's half of VA's laws anyway. They also don't require a front brake for bikes before 72 or something...

ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUBJECT
Does anyone know if Colorado requires you to have a horn? I'm moving to Ouray, CO sometime this month and am curious as to what I need to do to get away with riding on the road. I've been riding where I am in UT with only head/tail lights and without any plate or anything since I stick to back roads and ride in a fairly empty county where I know half of the LE anyway. I even get waves from the rangers :lol:

#37 ·
No more conversions in Nevada

For those who do not know, you are no longer allowed to convert your off road bike to street use in Nevada. Period. In fact, they will not even let you register a converted bike from out of state, unless it has the orange emissions sticker. So for example, if I bought a 450 that had been converted to street use, in another state, and the old owner had it previously refistered, and I brought it here, they would not let me register it here. It would have to be converted back to off road. How GHEY is that!
My friend just bought a 08 Husky 610 in Cali. He brings the bike to the DMV because we have to have vin inspections done when we register vehicles from out of state. Anyway, he rolls up to the inspection station on a 08, they would NOT register it. They could not find the orange emissions sticker on the bike anywhere, so they would not register it for him. Bike has a Cat and a Charcoal canister and all they cared about was that orange federal emissions sticker. He went home and found the sticker, (found out it is under the seat on that bike) went back to the DMV, showed them and they registered it for him.

#46 ·
We have a new procedure here in Nevada.

www.dmvstat.com/pdfforms/vp254.pdf

I've yet to try it but from what i hear they've finally gotten their shit together. You still will want to show up with all your ducks in a row and BE CONFIDENT. If one of the gub'mint peons gives you a hard time, ask to talk to a supervisor.
That's great!

Here in Hawaii our titles now state "rebuilt" on them for dirtbike conversions though my 2001 Honda CR500 street sumo does not.

#45 ·
So...FL yes or no???

I have read thread after thread and didnt get a clear picture about registering an "off-road" bike in FL. I have an RMZ-450 and would love to get it plated in FL, anyone know exactly whats involved legally? Equipment wise i know whats needed im talking DMV wise. Thanks to all.

#52 ·
I have read thread after thread and didnt get a clear picture about registering an "off-road" bike in FL. I have an RMZ-450 and would love to get it plated in FL, anyone know exactly whats involved legally? Equipment wise i know whats needed im talking DMV wise. Thanks to all.
i was readin from Fl DMV site that dirt bikes 2 or 4 stroke cannot be converted, even if u have mirrors, lights, signals, etc. which is really crappy cus i was wantin to build a 250 2 stroke. but i have heard of and seen ppl building street legal quads, i guess it just depends how lucky u are wen u go to the dmv

#54 ·
Whaaaat? That site says no blinkers in Utah, but my dealer said blinkers are required to pass. I just went through hell getting blinkers to work on my rmz (I suck at electronics) so I hope the dealer is right.

I'm also 99% sure from other experiences that blinkers ARE required, so I would take that sites info with a grain of salt. Unfortunately the site is right about no lane splitting... :(

#61 ·
1-Headlight (high and low beams)
2-Tail light
3-Brake light
4-License plate light
5-Horn
6-Brakes, front and rear
7-Rear view mirror on left side (adjustable) Not required on vehicle if helmet has a mirror
8-Tires 1/32 inch tread, no exposed cord or tread separation, approved for highway use by D.O.T.)
9-Exhaust system (good working order, No excessive noise or annoying smoke)
10-Seat (permanently attached)
11-Handle bars (not higher than 15 inches from seat)

All info copied from
Michigan Department of State TR-54 (the form you need to have filled out to get a bike street legal)

Sicass Racing (located in Michigan) should be able to help you with the necessary parts.

Now get that thing legal :burnout:

#66 ·
Just an update for PA folks on my plate process. (Pittsburgh)

I have a 2003 wr450f. I am transferring the title over from west virginia and it was never street legal and still isn't. I took my notarized bill of sale and my title (that was still in the previous owners name) out to the notary yesterday. The owner told me that they could not verify motorcycle vin numbers. I got a new sheet of paper that needs to be taken to an inspection station where they just need to verify the vin and sign the paper. After the paper is signed i take the forms back to the notary with proof of insurance and they will issue me a street legal title and a plate. Make notice that the bike is 100% dirtbike at this point. Once i get my plate and insurance i will put the money in to get the bike street legal. Then just inspect and hit the road. I just wanted to make sure i got all the paper work done before i dropped the $1500 into the conversion and so well it is working out great :thumbup:

It isn't impossible in PA to complete a sumo. If anybody wants more info just let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.