Requirements for Street Legal Motorcycles - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Requirements for Street Legal Motorcycles

I'm looking to plate my 2002 yz426f, I have a light kit and mirrors. How many loops do I have to jump through when I go down to license mine, do you know? Thanks.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by backerin View Post
    I have read thread after thread and didnt get a clear picture about registering an "off-road" bike in FL. I have an RMZ-450 and would love to get it plated in FL, anyone know exactly whats involved legally? Equipment wise i know whats needed im talking DMV wise. Thanks to all.
    i was readin from Fl DMV site that dirt bikes 2 or 4 stroke cannot be converted, even if u have mirrors, lights, signals, etc. which is really crappy cus i was wantin to build a 250 2 stroke. but i have heard of and seen ppl building street legal quads, i guess it just depends how lucky u are wen u go to the dmv
    08 QLINK XF 200 blk (SOLD)

Hey I just tried the link in the original post and it said page not found so I hunted the page down on the AMA site. Here ya go http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...isltn/laws.asp If the original link works for you then just ignore me.
    2012 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    2012 Yamaha WR450SM
    2005 Honda CRF230F

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Whaaaat? That site says no blinkers in Utah, but my dealer said blinkers are required to pass. I just went through hell getting blinkers to work on my rmz (I suck at electronics) so I hope the dealer is right.

I'm also 99% sure from other experiences that blinkers ARE required, so I would take that sites info with a grain of salt. Unfortunately the site is right about no lane splitting... :(

im having problems viewing it

Default Requirements for Street Legal Motorcycles in malaysia ??

anyone in malaysia had legalize their dirt bikes ? whats the procedure ?

Quote Originally Posted by ironxcross View Post
    Whaaaat? That site says no blinkers in Utah, but my dealer said blinkers are required to pass. I just went through hell getting blinkers to work on my rmz (I suck at electronics) so I hope the dealer is right.

I'm also 99% sure from other experiences that blinkers ARE required, so I would take that sites info with a grain of salt. Unfortunately the site is right about no lane splitting... :(
    Just got my rmz inspected and you DEFINITELY need blinkers in Utah.

All in all if anyone from Utah is wondering you need:

DOT tires
    horn
    blinkers
    hi/low beam
    tail light w/running light and switch on front AND rear brake
    mirror

Anyone got anything recient for Maine? I believe that AMAs info is old..

Anyone know requirements for MICHIGAN?

call your BMV
    "You meet the nicest people on a HONDA."
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...b068a428cc.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RcrMg View Post
    Anyone know requirements for MICHIGAN?
    1-Headlight (high and low beams)
    2-Tail light
    3-Brake light
    4-License plate light
    5-Horn
    6-Brakes, front and rear
    7-Rear view mirror on left side (adjustable) Not required on vehicle if helmet has a mirror
    8-Tires 1/32 inch tread, no exposed cord or tread separation, approved for highway use by D.O.T.)
    9-Exhaust system (good working order, No excessive noise or annoying smoke)
    10-Seat (permanently attached)
    11-Handle bars (not higher than 15 inches from seat)

All info copied from
    Michigan Department of State TR-54 (the form you need to have filled out to get a bike street legal)

Sicass Racing (located in Michigan) should be able to help you with the necessary parts.

Now get that thing legal
    I live for this

2001 XR650LSM,Clark tank,Warp 9 wheels,Avon Distanzia's,40mm FCR -MX carb,UNI Filter,Marko Header,White brothers E2 muffler,CRF450R USD forks & triples,BRP SUB Mount,Scott's Damper,MotoMaster racing caliper & Rotor,Brembo 16/18 Radial MC,15-43 gearing.

Just to add some info on CO.

You have to jump through a couple of hoops, but the process isn't too bad.

They even give me new plates for a little over $3 when mine fall off in the mud.

then apparently you get them to sign a affidavit saying it has all the street legal requirements like lights and such, take that to the DMV or MTO whoever: I dont know if this works but I heard it could.

Default Michigan TR-54

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberries View Post
    then apparently you get them to sign a affidavit saying it has all the street legal requirements like lights and such, take that to the DMV or MTO whoever: I dont know if this works but I heard it could.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf
    I live for this

2001 XR650LSM,Clark tank,Warp 9 wheels,Avon Distanzia's,40mm FCR -MX carb,UNI Filter,Marko Header,White brothers E2 muffler,CRF450R USD forks & triples,BRP SUB Mount,Scott's Damper,MotoMaster racing caliper & Rotor,Brembo 16/18 Radial MC,15-43 gearing.

Here's Indiana if anyone was wondering...

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar19/ch7.html

Default Just an update for PA folks on my plate process. (Pittsburgh)

I have a 2003 wr450f. I am transferring the title over from west virginia and it was never street legal and still isn't. I took my notarized bill of sale and my title (that was still in the previous owners name) out to the notary yesterday. The owner told me that they could not verify motorcycle vin numbers. I got a new sheet of paper that needs to be taken to an inspection station where they just need to verify the vin and sign the paper. After the paper is signed i take the forms back to the notary with proof of insurance and they will issue me a street legal title and a plate. Make notice that the bike is 100% dirtbike at this point. Once i get my plate and insurance i will put the money in to get the bike street legal. Then just inspect and hit the road. I just wanted to make sure i got all the paper work done before i dropped the $1500 into the conversion and so well it is working out great

It isn't impossible in PA to complete a sumo. If anybody wants more info just let me know.

Default Update

I got my insurance policy and plate and my title should be coming in a few days. My wr450 is one step closer to being street legal.

I am looking to convert my YZ250f dirtbike that i use to race motocross with here in Ohio into a street legal supermoto bike. I was wondering if anyone on here knows the minimum requirements for that here in the state of ohio and what all i would have to go through with the title and what not.

Looks like the original link that started this thread has changed. If you're trying to access it try:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...isltn/laws.asp

Default Please help goin nuts

Hi my name is mark allen I reside in md. I ride a 07 crf 250....I have recently converted to dualsport after asking my dmv what was required. I was told all I needed was the mso or title and a n inspection. So I come back then weeks later with an inspection from twigg cycles of hagerstown,md and iam told we cannot title this bike for street due to it being branded as orv. So I stir up a lot crap about there clerk telling me I could do the conversion with the required documents. So with this said it has been researched for the last 2 months and finally the main titling lady rhonda witt at the glen burnie dmv, the attorney general, and msp captain I guess off the inspection garage of glen burie came to an agreement that they would need to forms from me...one stating that pretty much the mva is not liable of the motorcycle and the other form for twiggs to certify that the bike meets..f.m.v.s.s. I know its bull because that is virtually impossible for them to do such a thing. But yet the state and mva still have yet to present me with the laws stating that this process of converting a dirtbike for street use is not legal as I have done my research and cannot find a law. So does anyone have any suggestions on how can I still get this bike titled and tagged in other states? I do like the f.m.v.s.s. plate that was made on here I seen...I would like to purchase one if all possible? Maybe that could help me to get a title? Thanks everybody!

Default crf250x

street title in pa how to do this thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mnyman View Post
    I live here in PA. If you don/t use signals then you have to use your hands.

i have the same bike would also like to get street title

Quote Originally Posted by 07cRf250r View Post
    Hi my name is mark allen I reside in md. I ride a 07 crf 250....I have recently converted to dualsport after asking my dmv what was required. I was told all I needed was the mso or title and a n inspection. So I come back then weeks later with an inspection from twigg cycles of hagerstown,md and iam told we cannot title this bike for street due to it being branded as orv. So I stir up a lot crap about there clerk telling me I could do the conversion with the required documents. So with this said it has been researched for the last 2 months and finally the main titling lady rhonda witt at the glen burnie dmv, the attorney general, and msp captain I guess off the inspection garage of glen burie came to an agreement that they would need to forms from me...one stating that pretty much the mva is not liable of the motorcycle and the other form for twiggs to certify that the bike meets..f.m.v.s.s. I know its bull because that is virtually impossible for them to do such a thing. But yet the state and mva still have yet to present me with the laws stating that this process of converting a dirtbike for street use is not legal as I have done my research and cannot find a law. So does anyone have any suggestions on how can I still get this bike titled and tagged in other states? I do like the f.m.v.s.s. plate that was made on here I seen...I would like to purchase one if all possible? Maybe that could help me to get a title? Thanks everybody!

Default street legal-saftey, MTO, blue plates, very easy!

I live in Ontairo , Canada, just east of Toronto.
    Bought a 04 WR450 with green trail plates, bought a dual sport Tusk enduro kit, put signal, horn, 1 mirror, and working brake lights on, very easy install! Light are super bright, but still tini LEDs so you can barely even notice them on the bike.

Got a safety

went to MTO, asked for blue plates, they told me they were going to have to switch my ownership and made me sign some paper, I payed around 60 bucks and walked out with blue street legal plates and stickers. Took about 5 mins

Got insurance, and my WR is a street legal dirt bike.....nothing more fun on the street!

As far as I know, anything up to 2007 can be done like this as long as it had the required signal, lights, etc. A 2008 dirbike and newer canNOT be made street legal due to some new laws etc....

Quote Originally Posted by wr450canada View Post
    I live in Ontairo , Canada, just east of Toronto.
    Bought a 04 WR450 with green trail plates, bought a dual sport Tusk enduro kit, put signal, horn, 1 mirror, and working brake lights on, very easy install! Light are super bright, but still tini LEDs so you can barely even notice them on the bike.

Got a safety

went to MTO, asked for blue plates, they told me they were going to have to switch my ownership and made me sign some paper, I payed around 60 bucks and walked out with blue street legal plates and stickers. Took about 5 mins

Got insurance, and my WR is a street legal dirt bike.....nothing more fun on the street!

As far as I know, anything up to 2007 can be done like this as long as it had the required signal, lights, etc. A 2008 dirbike and newer canNOT be made street legal due to some new laws etc....
    I think your wrong. You got this bike on the road because it is a 'WR', if it was a 'YZF', you would only get it on the road if it had somehow already been street legal, before that law was passed, or someone goofs up and lets it through. Otherwise Id like to see the build, what city did you do this in?
    http://www.myspace.com/aurorasnowband

05 Husaberg FS650E
    02 YZ250
    Trackday Counter: 8 / Crash Counter: 2

I just did all this like a month ago, no problem in Toronto.

I had a trail plate at first, then got a safety and went to the MTO, left with a blue plate. WR stock has a headlight and tail light, YZF does not. Some bikes maybe able to be made street legal, some may not...all I know is my WR has blue plates, insurance and a sticker, and all other legal requierment to drive in ONT.

Hey guys first post , if someone could help me out
    With my question for pa req ... I'm really interested in these hardknock bobbers , there are some that are actully a full size bike and some are little bit smaller ( most are 200cc -250cc) . But anyways , on the manufacturers website ( there are multiple I know ) but they say there not street legal in pa nj and ca but I just don't understand why and I cannot get a solid answear why , if they aren't what needs to be changed . I know these are Chinese bikes but hey they look cool as hell just as a cruiser around town . If any one could help me out that know pa laws more than I do I'd appreciate it alot ! Thanks

i have 1996 honda cr500r i live in NC, when i got the bike it was all ready converted for street , the person i got it from was not using it on the street and did not have the title for it, so i got the DMV to run the VIN and it had been previously titled in nc back in 2010, but they could not give me any contact info for the person whose name the title was in, so.. i was told i could get a bond for a new title and get it plated that way, so i called the DMV they said it has to be inspected by a NC license and theft inspector in order to get this bond i need, so .. i take the bike to get inspected and the inspector tells me he can not pass it without a manufacturer decal saying it is a highway use motorcycle, so.. i called the inspectors supervisor and he tells me that if a decal is not present on the bike they would accept a letter from the manufacturer stating that the bike is intended for highway use. has anyone else ever had this problem ?????
    they are telling me the only way i can get this bike plated is to somehow find the person who has the title in their name and get them to sign it over to me somebody please help me this is my dream bike and its killing me not being able to ride it

Default massachusetts is kinda gay

So from what i have been able to figure out, its damn near impossible to plate an off road use dirt bike in mass for street use. I have read that even if you live out of state, you can still reg and plate a dirt bike in Vermont so long as you maintain the yearly state inspection. ALSO, i have heard that if i get "caught" doing this i can be fined for "evading" Massachusetts sales tax and blah blah. So it's legal to register a bike in Vermont even if you don't live there, according to Vermont's laws but, i can be fined in Mass for doing this? My head is a pretzel. Maybe I will just sign it over to my brother in law in NH and have it registered and titled in his name.

Another question which is related. Anyone who rides a 250 2 stroke on the street, do the cops actually take notice and pull you over? If you aren't speeding, doing wheelies or anything accept just riding legally, do cops tend to leave you alone? I have a hard time believing that, if i had a 250 2 stroke on the streets in my city in Mass, with NH plates and i was driving like every other motorcycle and car out there that the cops would even consider giving me a hard time.

I had a 67' mustang in high school with a BUILT engine that was so loud it set off car alarms in parking lots. The car was obviously very fast, especially for a high school kid to be cruising around in. I drove it the speed limit, nothing crazy. I never got a second look from a cop the whole 5 years i had that car. Would they really give two craps about a little 250 2 stroke sumo on back roads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsonator View Post
    Would they really give two craps about a little 250 2 stroke sumo on back roads?
    I was talking to my nephew (a cop) about mounting the license plate to the back of the air box on my SM. He told me that most cops would not give a "dirt bike" a second look, they are more concerned about the guys on the "rice rockets".
    I live for this

So i live in alabama and the only requirements on the AMA website are a modulating head light, and one mirror? So basically i could slap on a head light, mirror, and be good to go? I imagine i would need a break light though yes or no? If that's all i need i'll be ecstatic

Check this out,
    http://www.4strokes.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=126

In Michigan you have to fill out a TR-54
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

You fill out the top (name address etc), then a officer fills out part 1 (and runs the vin) then dose the inspection, unit B. Then you turn the form (and receipts for parts) into DMV and get your new street legal title in 7 to 10 days.
    I live for this

Default Street Legaling

Quote Originally Posted by 1badktm530 View Post
    That's great!

Here in Hawaii our titles now state "rebuilt" on them for dirtbike conversions though my 2001 Honda CR500 street sumo does not.
    Howzit! I'm also in Hawaii ! Whats the steps on getting my pitbike legal? I see some guys on the road with them and some street legaled 250f and 450's I stopped racing motocross in 07 and just wanna play on and offroad. I ordered my pitbike with all the lights flashers licence plate holder mirrors etc. Whats the exact steps needed to make it street legal here in hawaii?

Default Street Legaling HAWAII

That's great!

Here in Hawaii our titles now state "rebuilt" on them for dirtbike conversions though my 2001 Honda CR500 street sumo does not.
    Howzit! I need help legalizing my 155z Pitbike here in Hawaii. Could you help me out and tell me the steps and proceedures to make it street legal? Please Help

Default Making it street legal

That's great!

I'm in Hawaii and I'm gonna be trying to street legal a fast pitbike. Could u tell me the exact steps I need to take to make it street legal? I already ordered it with everything to be street legal I just need the plate,registration, saftey etc.. I'd appreciate your help bro.

Default Sc

Does anyone have any recent info for converting a bike in south Carolina?

Anyone have info on making a 1999 rmx 250 street legal in Mississippi?

Default california

anybody familiar w the new law that required a bike to have 7,500 miles if you want to bring it in from another state ??? know any loop holes around that. thinking of changing out the dash to a trailtech or vapor, tell them the original is gone... any thoughts ???? will ask in the husky forum also. ciao

Quote Originally Posted by huskyfrk View Post
    anybody familiar w the new law that required a bike to have 7,500 miles if you want to bring it in from another state ??? know any loop holes around that. thinking of changing out the dash to a trailtech or vapor, tell them the original is gone... any thoughts ???? will ask in the husky forum also. ciao
    I would buy a stock speedo with 7,500 or more miles.
    Then after the state checks, switch back to the original and sell the one with all the miles.
    I live for this

Quote Originally Posted by SumoPsycho View Post
    I would buy a stock speedo with 7,500 or more miles.
    Then after the state checks, switch back to the original and sell the one with all the miles.
    The new WR450 claims that it is green sticker legal in Cali. Does that mean that it can be plated, or is that nothing new?

Default missouri wr450f

so as the issue goes, im having trouble trying to get this thing legal, all departments i talk to give me info such as filling out a form 551 (27.50) then having it inspected by hiway patrol and verifying it passes all requirments. so i called the hiway patrol to get a headstart and try to have the bike completely ready for inspection and they tell me it cant be done. does anyone have any info for missouri or any experience that i should try (steps) or do i just need to sell my wr450f and go get a ktm/husky/etc. factory sumo. i would prefer to keep my wr, i like it. the title i have is a california off highway title if that helps out. thanks guys, mike

Quote Originally Posted by buellhooligan View Post
    so as the issue goes, im having trouble trying to get this thing legal, all departments i talk to give me info such as filling out a form 551 (27.50) then having it inspected by hiway patrol and verifying it passes all requirments. so i called the hiway patrol to get a headstart and try to have the bike completely ready for inspection and they tell me it cant be done. does anyone have any info for missouri or any experience that i should try (steps) or do i just need to sell my wr450f and go get a ktm/husky/etc. factory sumo. i would prefer to keep my wr, i like it. the title i have is a california off highway title if that helps out. thanks guys, mike
    Are they going off the vin or the title as far as "can't be done"?

just got off the phone with them again and they are saying that they are "trying to clean up the streets" and that they got rid of the atvs with plates over the last few years and now they are working on off hiway use motorcycles that were plated. im going to try contacting other local branches in my area but if it continues to be a hassle i may have to postpone my dreams and possibly sell the bike. if i go that route, i will have a few extras to sell on here. as far as vin and title info....they didnt even bother to ask. just asking what type of vehicle and what type of title it is.

gotta love the govt.!!!!
    Last edited by buellhooligan; 05-31-2013 at 02:17 PM.

I just plated an XR400R here in New MExico and can say it is easy and totally legal. The DMV form 10053 tells you everything you need and it is:

at least ONE Headlight, but not more than two (don't know how the harley and BMW guys get away with like three or five). It must have a high and low beam. Can be two one high and one low.

A horn that can be HEARD 100ft away.

Serviceable tyres, they do NOT require DOT by definition.

A muffler, but they state no DB level although they do state it has to have no holes in it.

A mirror that has a view of at least 100ft behind the bike. A tail light, and stop lamp activated by at least ONE brake.

they do NOT require blinkers but they are OK if you have them.

Speedo, and odometer. Can be any working speedo and odo. So I guess you can use your phone with the speedo odo app.

That is IT.
    I claim to be afraid of Horses, this is only to get out of attending parades. Odd but the horses get it.
    2001 Honda XR400R plated and ready for little wheels and tyres!
    1985 BMW E28 Dinan 535i, 2004 Focus SVT

F Ca, love the state hate the politics red tape taxes etc glad I moved out.

MT is easy, self cert" disclaimer form, no inspection, life time permanent registration, no blinkers required, just reg'd my '3' in 8th pos' VIN 550 Berg
    Follow us on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/434484236682133/

Previous bikes
    00 Husaberg FE650e, 94 Husaberg FE501, 02 GasGas 321, 06 Ducati 999R,
    06 MV Agusta F1000R, 05 MV Agusta Brutale 750, KX500, CBR900 etc etc

I was surprised to see the OP link requires insurance and reg for off-road in New Jersey, is that really correct? My husqvarna is still regged but I took it off insurance when I stopped street riding it. You're supposed to have insurance even if it only gets ridden at the track?
    2006 Husky SM450R #77
    2008 WR250X

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ric58 View Post
    does anybody know if the state of cali. checks for emissions shit on the bike when i go take the driving skills test?? and has any body done this lately in cali.. thanks
    Cali doesn't check anything when you do your driving/motorcycle test. If you do the safety course then all you have to do is a written test. All they checked on my WR when I imported it from Washington is if it had the emissions sticker. It didn't of course so I made an appointment with CHP for an equipment check - which I know it will pass.

chp will and or can look for the emissions sticker which on some bikes is either on the frame or under the seat. you might want to do a little homework before you take it down there....

Default 2 things

Quote Originally Posted by drew231506 View Post
    One thing it doesnt mention is type of headlight and/or brake light. Are these even required? They dont mention them, at least in VA. And if they are...must they be DOT approved?
    So, in my experience, only certain motorcycle shops who cater to racers are going to be aware of the "no headlight" law in VA. It's a weird one, but they only require a headlight for nighttime use. I'm guessing it's a really old law, but that's half of VA's laws anyway. They also don't require a front brake for bikes before 72 or something...

ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUBJECT
    Does anyone know if Colorado requires you to have a horn? I'm moving to Ouray, CO sometime this month and am curious as to what I need to do to get away with riding on the road. I've been riding where I am in UT with only head/tail lights and without any plate or anything since I stick to back roads and ride in a fairly empty county where I know half of the LE anyway. I even get waves from the rangers
    00 XR650R Adventure pig, 96 XR600R Do-it-all, 96 KDX200 Enduro, 90 KLR650 Adventure cow
    01 MZ Baghira (Sold), 74 Montesa Cota 247 (Sold), 00 ZRX1100R (Sold), 04 RM250 (Sold) and a lot of other long gone exes

just registered my KDX200 in CT if anyone in CT has any questions...

Thumbs up help in Missouri?

does anyone know if there is a minimum(CC) for street legal dirt bikes in missouri?
    I'm wanting to make a 1987 YZ80 into a supermoto and I know I need the headlight, taillight, horn but the signals and mirrors are the "if equipped from factory" category

I know next to nothing about bikes because this will be my first hands on build

if I cant do it with a YZ80 there is a YZ250 for sale that I know should be street legal because of the South Dakota trick but its a bit more money and the wiring is all jacked up

--- Help me oh mighty moto junkies, teach me the ways of the brapapa ---

Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast