Requirements for Street Legal Motorcycles - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Requirements for Street Legal Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by Napa120 View Post
    does anyone know if there is a minimum(CC) for street legal dirt bikes in missouri?
    I'm wanting to make a 1987 YZ80 into a supermoto and I know I need the headlight, taillight, horn but the signals and mirrors are the "if equipped from factory" category

I know next to nothing about bikes because this will be my first hands on build

if I cant do it with a YZ80 there is a YZ250 for sale that I know should be street legal because of the South Dakota trick but its a bit more money and the wiring is all jacked up

--- Help me oh mighty moto junkies, teach me the ways of the brapapa ---
    Only "limit" I know of is below 50cc the driver doesn't need a license. Above that displacement requires license. There are DWI barred drivers using this loophole to get around. With all the 48, 49, and 50cc scooters out there that are fully legal to ride on the street. That YZ80 shouldn't be a displacement issue. More a HP issue The 250 would be more fun, or at least easier, to ride at anything above 20-25mph.
    Last edited by stk0308; 05-11-2015 at 12:31 PM.
    Steven
    2008 Triumph Sprint ST
    2001 Yamaha YZ426F
    Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Advertisement

I would check that no license requirement stuff, a lot of people in Georgia think the same thing. It is required in Georgia and most states I'm sure that you have at least a valid learners permit (doesn't have to be a motorcycle LP just a car CP) or higher valid license to operate a moped or scooter on state roads. Registration is what is not required with 50cc or below, as far as the complexities of registering a non street title bike I'm as lost in the confusion as others as that's the realm of the state tax departments usually.

Indiana just changed their rules for mopeds and such. ALL have to be registered and users have to be licensed as well.
    that said they have specific license for JUST mopeds and scooters based on both engine size and power.

i think the DUI people can still legally operate one if they go through the hoops.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

I know these come down to state specific laws, etc but I'm moving back to the Midwest for a while and out of the People's Republic of the Left Coast of the USA.

I paid a ton to get my gigantic license plate/ blinkers / and tail lights removed from my factory bike to have installed a better looking and more useful set up reat set up. So the first guy who sees it says it's illegal. I'm like what? What's the problem?:

1. The cover of the brake light cannot be any color other than red or clear. Mine is smoke, which is not what I ordered but that's the the grease monkey ordered and installed. You absolutely cannot tell its smoke unless its daylight, 2 feet from it and none of the lights are working so it really shouldn't matter. It looks more tinted than anything.
    2. The cool LED blinkers which go left or right with a digital LED arrow indicating right or left, which I thought was better than a 1982 looking night hawk factor blinker functioned, is not legal. I was told in my state, the blinkers MUST be at LEAST 9 inches apart from each other (banging head against wall) and since my set up is one nice, tidy brake light and blinkers integrated from the brake light so when I brake and turn a blinker on, the half of the brake light lights up Red and the digital LED arrows on the opposite side turn yellow. I'm sure you've seen it, it's pretty awesome, but illegal.

So, in your experience and knowledge, would that be illegal in the midwestern states are am I good that I at least have a tail light and blinkers with license plate on my dirt bike?

Thanks.

Default Tail lights.

As far as I know the only requirement(in Missouri) for tail lights is that they must be a certain height off the ground(15inch I think) and a max height of 48 don't quote me on the 48... I don't believe we have any width requirements, we do need plate lights of white light with red tail lights and front and back yellow/Amber blinkers, only white head lights, you only need mirrors if your bike has built in mounts but I suggest getting some cheap clamp on anyway(it's wise for driving)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    I know these come down to state specific laws, etc but I'm moving back to the Midwest for a while and out of the People's Republic of the Left Coast of the USA.

I paid a ton to get my gigantic license plate/ blinkers / and tail lights removed from my factory bike to have installed a better looking and more useful set up reat set up. So the first guy who sees it says it's illegal. I'm like what? What's the problem?:

1. The cover of the brake light cannot be any color other than red or clear. Mine is smoke, which is not what I ordered but that's the the grease monkey ordered and installed. You absolutely cannot tell its smoke unless its daylight, 2 feet from it and none of the lights are working so it really shouldn't matter. It looks more tinted than anything.
    2. The cool LED blinkers which go left or right with a digital LED arrow indicating right or left, which I thought was better than a 1982 looking night hawk factor blinker functioned, is not legal. I was told in my state, the blinkers MUST be at LEAST 9 inches apart from each other (banging head against wall) and since my set up is one nice, tidy brake light and blinkers integrated from the brake light so when I brake and turn a blinker on, the half of the brake light lights up Red and the digital LED arrows on the opposite side turn yellow. I'm sure you've seen it, it's pretty awesome, but illegal.

So, in your experience and knowledge, would that be illegal in the midwestern states are am I good that I at least have a tail light and blinkers with license plate on my dirt bike?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post

Thanks.
    http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...spx?stateid=25

Thanks for the info and the link, it's very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by swatdoc View Post
    Hawaii has a catch-22 that sounds similar to PA.
    I'm a cop, so I know the traffic code pretty well here, and have al the copies of the various laws easily accessible. Hawaii itself does not require turn signals unless the vehicle in question is over 24" fromthe center of the steering column to the outside edge of the vehicle. Unless you've got REALLY wide handlebars, motorcycles aren't this wide. In the Honolulu city ordinances, it states motorcycles MAY be equipped with turn signals, clearance lights, etc. The word MAY means optional.
    Here's the weird part - in order for you to register your vehicle every year, you must pass what's called a "safety inspection". If you don't have the safety inspection, you can't renew your registration - period. Now, the screwed up thing, which is what might be happening in PA, is that instead of following state law, the inspection stations are given a copy of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ( FMVSS) to use to determine if a vehicle pases inspection. The FMVSS state all motorcycles must have turn signals. What most people don't realize is the FMVSS are federal laws that ONLY apply to manufactures and dealers as far as how a vehicle must be SOLD in the United States. What makes a vehicle legal for use on a public roadway is the domain of each individual state. Unfortunately, trying to convince the brainwashed inspection people of this, even when showing them the laws in black and white, is a total waste of time.
    So the solution in Hawaii, and maybe in PA, is to mount turn signals (i use an led setup powered by AA batteries) temporarily to get your inspection, then just take them off afterwards. As long as your state law doesn't require them, you can't get a ticket for not having them. Actually you might get a ticket if the officer isn't familiar with how this works. It may be a good idea to print out a copy of your state law showing turn signals aren't required, in case you get stopped, because there are actually many police officers out there that don't know turn signals aren't required in every state. But even if you get a ticket, you should be able to win in court easily.

could you please point out what exat law this or copy and paste it on this thread? Ive been looking everywhere for this law but can't seem to find it. Thanks

Default What is the exact Law?

Quote Originally Posted by swatdoc View Post
    Hawaii has a catch-22 that sounds similar to PA.
    I'm a cop, so I know the traffic code pretty well here, and have al the copies of the various laws easily accessible. Hawaii itself does not require turn signals unless the vehicle in question is over 24" fromthe center of the steering column to the outside edge of the vehicle. Unless you've got REALLY wide handlebars, motorcycles aren't this wide. In the Honolulu city ordinances, it states motorcycles MAY be equipped with turn signals, clearance lights, etc. The word MAY means optional.
    Here's the weird part - in order for you to register your vehicle every year, you must pass what's called a "safety inspection". If you don't have the safety inspection, you can't renew your registration - period. Now, the screwed up thing, which is what might be happening in PA, is that instead of following state law, the inspection stations are given a copy of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ( FMVSS) to use to determine if a vehicle pases inspection. The FMVSS state all motorcycles must have turn signals. What most people don't realize is the FMVSS are federal laws that ONLY apply to manufactures and dealers as far as how a vehicle must be SOLD in the United States. What makes a vehicle legal for use on a public roadway is the domain of each individual state. Unfortunately, trying to convince the brainwashed inspection people of this, even when showing them the laws in black and white, is a total waste of time.
    So the solution in Hawaii, and maybe in PA, is to mount turn signals (i use an led setup powered by AA batteries) temporarily to get your inspection, then just take them off afterwards. As long as your state law doesn't require them, you can't get a ticket for not having them. Actually you might get a ticket if the officer isn't familiar with how this works. It may be a good idea to print out a copy of your state law showing turn signals aren't required, in case you get stopped, because there are actually many police officers out there that don't know turn signals aren't required in every state. But even if you get a ticket, you should be able to win in court easily.

What's the exact Law? Trying to make a copy for myself.

Advertisement
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123