SuperMoto Junkie banner

Generator for Tire Warmers???

14K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Backmarker 
#1 ·
Mostly in the pits I see the Honda EU2000.

For obvious reasons; Quite, Compack, Light, Honda but I was wondering what other ones out there people are using and if they are satisfied. The Honda's seem to go for, at the minimum of $700 and that is for a used one. I see many other makes and models of small quite portable units such as, Coleman, Quick Start, Harbor Freight brands and many more that are considerably cheaper.

Does anyone have any of these or other cheaper models and if so which one and what is your satisfaction with it?

Thxs

#3 ·
The Honda is basically bulletproof. There is a reason why everyone has one.... You can go the cheaper route and get the eu1000i but that will only run one set of tire warmers and that's it. I do know one person who got the Yamaha and they never complained about it, but again, look around at the see of red generators.

Just follow the masses, you won't be upset. Come to the darkside, we have cookies...:laughingr

See Kawaguchi Honda, he rides in SoCal; so if you are going to buy new, support the brotherhood.

#4 ·
I hear you, I want to buy red, believe me, I do. But after just building a 10k 08CRF450SMR and with no help that Christmas just happened, I was hoping to skimp somewhere. I sure as hell didnt with my bike. I mean, if none of the other brands out there are worth it and they are a waste of money, I will just have to wait and buy a EU1000 or 2000.

#8 ·
Dave,
I hate to admit it but I went cheap on my generator and tire warmers. Generator is a Honda Knock off (Extreme Power 2600) out of LA for $450 to my door and the warmers are Sumomoto and resemble Chicken Hawks $95 to my door. Both were sleeper e-bay auctions. Both work flawlessly and the generator is 54 db. quite! Used them at Stockton Monday and I am a believer! The track was wet and cold. Only time I went down was my last go when I didn’t have the warmers on 1st.

#24 ·
Scott, did you get the (XG SF2600 or the XG SF3000)? I was not offered anything but the XG SF3000. I see up above you say you got the Extreme Power 2600? I wonder what the differences are.

I got mine yesterday, the XG SF3000. 3000 watt generator. The directions are a joke and definately not as clear as Honda's would be. I have not fired it up yet but it looks pretty good. I plan on doing that today. Has oil shut off, AC and DC power, Sinewave Digital inverter power for safe power for sensitive items, over load protection, low oil shut off, California new SORE system (some kind of emission control system required in Ca. now) and some other positive features. Alittle bigger than what I thought it would be but I guess for a 3000 watt it is normal. I think it is 2600watt continuous. I figure the extra watts will be good for other things such as camping. But mine too was $450 delivered to the door thanks for you for the heads up. I am assuming you have this same unit?

Devlin

#9 ·
Yeah Scott, that is what I am thinking. I know there are a bunch of other generators out there that may not be a Honda but if they work, have the proper output and are quite, that is all I care about. I would like to save some money in purchasing it. Can you PM me with a link or something? I tired to do a search on Extreme Power 2600 and did not come up with anything. Thx.

#10 ·
Here ya go

Looking for $650 Picked up in either Valencia or Burbank.

Up for sale is my Kipor Sinemaster KGE3000ti generator.
This is very comparable to the ultra quiet honda generators.

I have maintained it very well and changed the oil after every other trackday. Runs great!

Purchased new and has been used for maybe 8 trackdays so far.
Please email with any questions.

Thanks!
Brian

Additional Info -

The same as:
http://www.amazon.com/Kipor-Sinemast.../dp/B000B6L0XE
http://www.novatechgadgets.com/kisikgqu26wa.html

Technical Details

* Quiet, light weight, and clean pure sinewave, save 40% on gas over conventional generators
* Super low noise & light weight design (54-59 dB / 57 Lbs)
* 4 hours running on a single fuel tank at full load and 8 hours at quarter load
* Maximum 2600W output for a super wide range of applications
* Inverter technology delivers pure, quality output

Product Description
KIPOR Sinemaster Generators are the latest rave. The second most popular brand generators in all of Europe for the past 6 years running, Kipor is a well established generator manufacturer of over 15 years and is one of the world's leading manufacturers of digital generators. These high quality generators are getting great reviews and are a fraction of the price of the competition. Just introduced to the United States market this year, we are very excited to be one of the few places to be selling these high quality, reliable, super quiet, super lightweight generators.

http://www.socalmoto.org/forum/showthread.php?t=906

#11 ·
Part of what makes the Honda pricey is that it is an inverter type generator. Simply put, it makes very clean power. You could run sensitive electronic items with no damage. The unit described by zman is the same. If all you ever plan to do is run tire warmers, which do not need perfectly clean power, any generator will do. But the Honda is a Honda, and I know of no-one who is unhappy or regrets their purchase. The EU 2000 is a very sweet proven unit that will last for many many years.

#12 ·
Like Chase mentioned, if that's all you're going to use it for, get the lowest price knock off. What you're paying extra for with the Honda, yeah, mainly the name, but if you need parts for it now or later, you'll be able to get it. I know most of the knock-offs have no parts support after the purchase, so you Might end up spending the same amount if you just bought the good stuff. Yamaha generators are excellent quality but the parts availability seem to be harder to get if you go to a Yamaha dealer.
Just my observations.

#13 ·
you will never need parts with the Honda EU anyway- you cannot kill them, so it also depends on what lifespan you expect RocDog...if you are planning on doing this SM thing for a long time and are going to ride as much as you have been, I know the Honda will last. mine runs on any crap gas or old race gas, runs all f-ing day long, can power laptops safely, which may be important in the new fuel-injection age, and is super-quiet. well worth the $$ IMO.

whatever you do don't get some loud one and be the hated guy in the pits, anyone who has had to pit next to Knox this year and his "mugello noisemaker" I'm sure will agree!!

#15 ·
You hit the nail on the head. In 3 places. Longevity, quiet and the future of FI and the need of laptops to tune them! I think you just sold me on what I need to look for. Damit now I have to spend more money! Thxs.

#14 ·
This is all good info. I am starting to understand what makes different portable units better than others.

For good digital dual temp tire warmers, what is the output power needed from a generator?

#16 ·
Heinous said it for sure... I have a loud pile if I pick up truck it and it does both set of warmers (Bickle Warmer from Canada they rock) But it's loud... In the motorhoem which I think is sold tomorrow it has a onan and it is loud as well... The honda will LAST the yamaha is very good too so if you get a good deal on that your ok.

Need warmers or anything else let me know... I can even get a generator I bet for a decent deal as well...

#17 ·
Cheap Generator

I went the extreme low budget an bought a Kragen 3500. The cheap yellow ones under $300. I Ran one full race season plugging in a minimum 2 sets of warmers at each round. Now I run it with just one set just because I'm not on my old team, and it has lasted 3 years. Yeah your neighbors in the pits will want to kill you but for me (A starving college student trying to make as many nationals that I can afford) it's awesome.

#19 ·
Well dispite what some have said here about spending the extra money and go with the Honda, I spent the same $450 Supermotojoe did and with the no name Xtreme Power 3000. Inverter clean power safe for sensitive divises, 2700w continuous power, 54 to 59 dB depending on load, 62 lbs, has low oil shut off, 2 year warranty on motor and some other goodies. Seems like a decent unit. Hopefully saving half the price of a Honda that has less power will be worth it. http://www.inspiredepot.com/xtremepower-3000w-digital-portable-generator-p-1514.html?cPath=22_181

#20 ·
Kragen special is the shit,399, 3500 watts, changed the oil once in almost 5 seasons ,the problem is it's yamaha yellow oh well,see you friday Hwood in the haus

#21 ·
damn, i thought i had the sale!! i used to schlep those hondas so you can thank the Honda power equipment seminar they sent me to for the speil!! ha ha, that one you got Roc Dog sounds intriguing, will be interesting to see how it holds up.

and Hollywood and ronnie, you guys can go pit by Knox then and listen to your obnoxious piles of crap all day by yourself!! haha, maybe we should have separate sections of the pits, like the under 80db gennie section and the loud section, you listening Bee Rock?

#22 ·
Yeah, we shall see. Looks and sounds pretty good and the price is definately more in the price range I was looking for. Hopefully it will last a while. I will share my experience with it after I have some time with it.

SupermotoJoe has the same unit. So there will be 2 of us testing it.

#26 ·
What more bling could I be waiting on! I have it all now. :D I could not fire it up because it was in hiding last night. Cant go showing the Mrs. I bought it! I actually fired it up today. Very impressed. It is very quit, smooth sounding, and purrs like a kitty. Not bad for the price. Thanks for the help.

Now if I can just get to ride my new bike that has been completed for what seems like a year waiting for a good day. You should have seen me last week trying to ride it at PC in the rain. My ass was on the ground more than in the saddle. I hung it up after 2 sessions. Big HP, on slicks in the rain equal sore body and used sliders the next day.

Here are pics of the Generator for those interested.

#27 ·
"Now if I can just get to ride my new bike that has been completed for what seems like a year waiting for a good day. You should have seen me last week trying to ride it at PC in the rain. My ass was on the ground more than in the saddle. I hung it up after 2 sessions. Big HP, on slicks in the rain equal sore body and used sliders the next day."

Sounds like trying to hard to me....

#28 ·
No, had nothing to do with trying to hard. Had to do with raining as we were riding, soaked track, very cold weather, hard as a rock slicks (not rain tires) and way to low gearing my bike. I could not ride a taller gear or ease the throttle any lighter than I was to keep the rear end from breaking loose. Learned that it is a must to have rain tires, tire warmers and taller gearing for rain conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.