SuperMoto Junkie banner

Gasgas 300 Motard?

31K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  LozWin 
#1 ·
Hi,
Im thinking about buying an gasgas 300 and built I to a motard, would it work good?
How much hp is it possible to get from those engines for motard use, 75 hp at the rear wheele?

#3 ·
Sure, if you put a Hayabusa motor in it!!!!!:laughingr

#9 ·
My GG250SM is a great handling bike in just about every way with
the exception that it has a little front end chatter when heavy on
the brakes and diving into a corner. Nothing a few clicks of the
dampers in the right direction should'nt cure. As for high speed.
This bike cruises at 50-58MPH. I don't really drive it much over
60-65 and then only for a few seconds. With the 14/47 gearing
it (should) be capable of closer to 90-95 if I was willing to spin
the motor to over 11,000RPM. This is not a long haul, highway bike
by any means. It is good for what I use it for. Short commute to
work 3-4 times per month and a trip to the local canyons for some
fun.
If this was to be your only bike. I'd get something else. A 2-stroke on
the street, at least for me, is a play toy.
Jeff

#10 ·
ive had two strokes most of my life, run them like you stole them, rev the piss out of them they love that. run amzoil 100 to 1 premix and it will live a long healthy life no matter how hard you rev the snot out of it. just gear it so it is pulling a good load on the top end and it will hold together surprisingly well. two strokes have caged needle bearings on both ends of the connecting rod so they can take the continuous high rpm usage...don't be afraid grasshopper, amzoil is the best two stroke oil on earth bar none!

i use to run a kawasaki h2 drag bike. i would fire it up cold, rev it two or three times then twist it 12grand in the waterbox heating the tire...never had a cold seizure. i rev my aprilia rs250 14 grand all day long...it doesn't mind it a bit, so you go boiy

#13 ·
What are the oil change intervals like on the GG 300's and about how much will I spend on a decent oil and filter? And how different is It from a 4 stroke oil change?
Also, what is routine maint on a GG 300 compared to lets say a drz400,Just wondering. Don't wanna thread jack. But dont wanna start a new thread if this is fairly relevant...
How much do you plan to ride your GasGas if you get it? I ride mine maybe 500-600 miles a year, if that much.
I change the oil in the transmission about every 200-300 miles. There is no oil filter on a 2 stroke.
Routine maint?!?! Lube chain, check tire pressure, Fill tank with pre-mix. Open petcock and kick it.
The last top end was ~ 1,000 miles ago. Should be good for another 1K.
I suppose the suspension could use a good service. Replace fluid and nitrogen in the shock and
lube the swingarm and linkage bearings. Did that about the same time as the top end.
Like I said in the earlier post. If you plan to do a lot of miles, get a 4 stroke and learn to adjust
valves. Otherwise, buy a couple of piston kits and learn to do top end overhauls. You could
probably do a 2 stroke top end in less time than adjusting valves in a 4 stroke if they are shim under bucket style.
Just my 2 cents.
Jeff

#15 ·
bhp/ everyday use

I have a gg ec 300 supermoto on a 2003 plate my bike is running 58bhp and i havent done that many modifications to the engine just reeds and a couple other small things i use my bike every day for a long journey i just put the throttle needle abit higher and run it abit rich i change my oil evry 100-200 miles and only run it on puterline oil and i have never had any problems :bannana:

#16 ·
Heya... I know this is an older thread but it looks like a good place to ask my question. I've just picked up a 2002/3 EC250 and am about to tear into it. I got it cheap and am going to pretty much rebuild it. When looking for 17''s - What are my options? What wheels off other bikes will come close or am I better off getting some warp 9's or something? Thanks in advance!

#17 ·
GG wheels hubs

I have heard Husqvarna wheel hubs will work on a GG. But, it would depend on the year and model. GG changed axle diameter somewhere
around 2000-2001. I know my 2002 EC300's wheels will not swap over onto my 1998 EC250.
For me it was a no brain'r. I stuck with the stock GG hubs and had new Excel 17's laced with new spokes.. I did not have to
deal with internal bearing spacers, wheel spacers or wheel bearing diameters. The 320mm brake rotor bolted right up. I did have
to source the new caliper bracket. I think it was a MotoMaster for a KTM from around 1998-1999. It fit the stock Brembo caliper
on my 1998 GG EC250.
Good luck. SuperMoto is addicting.

#18 ·
Thanks for the info... I'd actually not thought about lacing my MX hubs to supermoto rims but it turns out that's not such an expensive option. I'm looking at about 267 Euro for a set of new rims. That's totally do-able.

This will be my third Motard... definitely addictive! ;)

#19 · (Edited)
Progress!

I have done a lot to get this bike to where it is now. Completely redid all the electrics. Stator, CDI, wiring, and front and rear suspension. All bearings everywhere are new. I've tweaked the powervalve, redone the jetting, Did an enduro practice day on it, did some green laning and now it's time to motard!

I just stuck on some 17's off a Husky 610. The wheels were no problem. The back went on with no mods, the front needed an extra spacer on the right side. I used an inner race off a 6004R bearing. The front brake as expected is a problem. The 320mm disc off the husky is no good. It's floating and includes a kink so it's a problem. The mounting holes are different on the gasgas 260mm disc so that's no good either. What I'm trying next is a 260mm, 6 bolt disc off a TE610. I know it's not a 320mm disc but this is a play bike and won't see any racing so that should be enough stopping power for me.

Attachments

#20 ·
Sorry to hear the Husky rotor and front wheel hub did not fit. I had heard somewhere they were a direct bolt up.
I guess not everything we hear on the internet is true.
I see that the Husky rotor is dished. I am pretty sure the brake disk on my GG is flat even though it is also a floating design.
I hope you get it sorted. You like you have a fun play bike for those times you want to get a little wild.
Cheers, JJ

#21 ·
I got a new or rather what looks like a newly cut EBC disc for my Husky 610 front hub and fitted it. As expected. The wheel now bolts right up and the caliper and rotor fit like a glove. Took it out for a test ride and I came back laughing like a loon! This is the way supermoto is supposed to be. It's the lightest bike I've ever ridden on the road and if you haven't ridden a two stroke supermoto I suggest you make it a priority and do so!

The braking could be better but for my needs this is adequate. It makes wheel swaps faster too. It could use slightly taller gearing but again. I want wheel swaps to be quick so am not prepared to play with different chain lengths. I could increase the front sprocket from 13 to 14 teeth. Does anyone know if a 14T front sprocket will fit? It already seems quite tight there with the 13

Attachments

#22 ·
The 14 tooth can be done, at least on my 1998 EC250. The distance from the swing arm pivot may
be different on the newer bikes.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=33295#post33295
This is a link to my post on GasGasRider forum with a picture.
I had the remove the swing arm axle and move the swing arm back a little to
get the sprocket past the plastic guide. As well as grind 2mm or so off the hyd clutch cylinder.
Since I am running a 14/40 I had to have a dedicated chain for the supermoto set up.
Glad you got your SM up and running.
Cheers.

#23 ·
No more like 60HP if your lucky. see this page http://antithumper.700hp.com/gasserfly.html
They are claiming 58BHP
I have a 00 ec300, i ride it on the road a lot but dirt mostly. I got something like 20,000+ miles out of the stock motor before the crank bearings gave in. It's funny you read all the hype about reliability but i have had many more problems with my suzuki gsx650f, ktm 660smc and my brothers Yamaha DT125R than my gasser. The motors are really solid, perfect for road use. But my advice would be stay away from gasgas for the simple reason parts can be hard to come by, especially for the older bikes and parts seem to cost more than other bikes i have worked on. Their 'fit and finish' also stinks. Go buy a KTM EXC300 and never look back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.