Tires for your street SM
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires for your street SM

Advertisement

Haven't used them personnally. I think I read a thread on here or on TT where someone posed the exact question about those tires. As far as I remember, the majority of the replies were along the line of "don't waste your money", and "junk tires". I use Michelin Pilot Powers.
    2007 CRF150R winter project
    2011 KTM 250XC (Woods Killer/Tree Molester )
    2001 XR 50 (Wicked cool),
    2007 CR85R mini-sumo (sold), 2008 KTM 250 SX-F (Both Dirty and Tarded' Sold), 2008 Husky 510 SMR (Sold ), 2002 CR 250R Basketcase (Sold), 2007 Suzuki DRZ 400sm (Sold)

OK tires if you're broke, your current tires down to the belts and you can't afford anything better.
    Motorcycle Tire Services
    http://mototireguy.com
    04 Honda CBR1000RR
    05 Husaberg FS650E (Sold )

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by supertireguy View Post
    OK tires if you're broke, your current tires down to the belts and you can't afford anything better.
    in other words they are black, semi round, and hold air....thats about it

Don't know about the 009 - I had 003s and they were absolute crap. I actually took them off and threw them away before they were even close to worn out because I just couldn't trust them. The front would slide pretty much at random, and I'm slow.

For only $50 more you can get Conti SMs: http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...ath=33_108_113
    '06 Husqvarna SM610 - Leo Vince full Ti exhaust, G2 quick turn throttle,3190 K&N
    '05 Dodge Ram SRT-10 - 500hp Viper V-10, B&B exhaust, lowered Sold
    '08 Triumph Speed Triple - Jardine CF slip-ons, Triumph ECU map
    '07 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    '10 Jeep Wrangler 2Dr 6 speed

Default Tires for your street SM

Supertireguy put together a nice list of tires for your streetard. If I see one more 'which tire for my sm' thread I'm gonna shoot myself.

AVON
    Storm ST - Sport Touring
    Viper - Sport
    Viper Extreme - Trackday
    Distanzia - Street oriented dual-sport

BRIDGESTONE
    BT021 - Sport Touring
    BT016 - Sport
    BT002 - Trackday

CONTINENTAL
    Road Attack - Sport Touring
    Sport Attack - Sport
    Race Attack - Trackday
    Contiforce SM - Supermoto

DUNLOP
    D220 Sportmax - Sport-Touring (Last forever but my least favorite tire)
    Roadsmart - Sport Touring
    Qualifier - Sport
    Sportmax GP, D209 or D208GP - Trackday

MAXXIS
    Presa - ?
    Supermaxx - Sport

METZELER
    Z6 Roadtec - Sport Touring
    M1 Sportec - Sport (Older but good design and only made in 120, 180 and 190 sizes)
    M3 Sportec - Sport
    Racetec - Trackday

MICHELIN
    Pilot Road - Sport Touring
    Pilot Road 2 - Sport Touring (Dual compound technology)
    Pilot Power - Sport
    Pilot Power 2CT - Sport-Trackday (Dual compound)
    Pilot Race - Trackday

PIRELLI
    Diablo Strada - Sport Touring
    Diablo - Sport
    Diablo Rosso - Sport (New)
    Diablo Corsa III - Sport-Trackday (Dual compound)
    SuperCorsa Pro - Trackday
    Diablo SuperCorsa - Trackday (New)
    M&M racing
    www.mmracing.biz
    A Mini Road Racing Specialty Company

Mini and Supermoto roadracing
    http://www.semra.org/

Make yourself valuable, or you become expendible

Great list. Couple of thoughts since this has been in the back of my mind for a while.

I would do this if I had the knowledge, but I'm a supermoto novice. How about creating a category list for the tires. The categories could include "Grip on Dry Asphalt" "Grip on Wet Asphalt" "Off Road Use" "Longevity/Wear" for instance.
    We could then have a 1 to 5 star rating. 1 Star would = Poor 2= Fair 3= Good 4= Very Good 5= Excellent. A final rating could show value for the money based on average price and the other categories.

Oh, and could we add the Pirelli Scorpion Sync?

Any one else's input?
    Last edited by JSLincks; 03-07-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Additional input
    70 Boss 302 sold
    69 Original Z/28 restored then sold
    80 Yamaha TT 250 gone
    06 560 SMR PTT
    06 625SMC with Akros

sorry about the which tire post=/ didnt have time to search

no one has said anything about the Goldspeed Tyres.

I'm Thinking of getting a pair for the Intermediates when my current tyres are done with.

Has anyone run Michelin Pilot Road 2's on their SuMo? The rate at which my Husky eats rears, and the pace of the current economy in Southern California is at odds right now and I am thinking of trying them out. I know that my bike isn't as heavy as a sport touring bike, but i'm sure that I can get enough heat in that rear to make it sticky without too much effort.

So, who's tired 'em? Am I gonna regret it?

Just for reference, I've run the Dunlop D208's and Metzler M3's on this bike.
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

-miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

I wish Dunlop would make their D616 in 150 and 160 sizes, it's a great looking tire. I emailed them and they said there are no plans for that at the moment. Maybe with enough interest they'd change their minds.
    Dunlop D616

Hey Lammy, try the Pirelli diablo strada. I run this thing on my KTM 625 and I love it. I had the Conti's and ate them up in 3000 miles.
    2005 KTM 625 SMC
    2002 YAMAHA 426F (desert ride)
    1984 HONDA 200X ATC (night ride)
    2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew
    1967 VW Bug

Default grippy street tire!? what do you recomend?

ok so im thinking of converting a bike to a street supermoto, ktm 525, and was wondering what kind of tire is good for good performance and decent life. Im no idiot, and i know when its sticky, it wears out quickly, and when you go with a long life tire you sacrifice some performance...i currently have a pilot power 2 on my gixxer however only maybe 2 days, and 4 hours tops on the tire, i noticed that the (dual compound) edges were beginning to feather a little, im no nikki hayden, but i use the whole tire, and on a supermoto bike i can see running it even harder, so i guess im looking for your opinion here...
    06 ktm 250 sxf 2010 husky tc250

Contiforce SM are what I have and I am pleased with them.
    KTM 450 SMR

i had good luck with Piolot Roads (the normal not the 2 compounds) I didnt like the 2ct's because when in the transition zone and pushing hard its unpredictable

I plan on ordering a set of Goldspeed "cut slicks" ?? for my crf450r in a week or so.
    '05 CRF450R "SUMO" TAGGED- Gone but not forgotten - Enjoy "Tyester"
    '07 Mega cab Dually-Dodge makes it,Cummins shakes it
    "If your not wrecking your not riding"-Chicks dig scars
    I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Vancouver Supermoto started selling a more street oriented goldspeed. Supposed to be the same compound as the pre-cut slicks but with more tread.

http://www.vancouversupermoto.com/pr...roducts_id=188

Might be worth a look.

Well they sure aren't giving the goldspeeds away! Holy crap 300 a tire? I will pass. I will be buying Michelin's buy the pair for that!

I run pilot powers (originals) and am happy with them. Stick good, wear like iron.
    Super Tenere
    FJ09
    400 exc/sm

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak391 View Post
    Well they sure aren't giving the goldspeeds away! Holy crap 300 a tire? I will pass. I will be buying Michelin's buy the pair for that!
    300 is in canadian currency

Quote Originally Posted by sportrider View Post
    I run pilot powers (originals) and am happy with them. Stick good, wear like iron.
    More than 2500 miles on a rear? That the most i've gotten so far. If I can find a decent tire that gets more like 3500 that'd be great!

-miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

ive got about 2500 on my pirelli diablo strada and the thing looks new still. my conti only lasted 3000 miles before it started coming apart. if you do more communting than canyons i recommend the strada. i only do canyon rides about once a month but the bike is my daily ride.
    2005 KTM 625 SMC
    2002 YAMAHA 426F (desert ride)
    1984 HONDA 200X ATC (night ride)
    2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew
    1967 VW Bug

Items for Sale

I'm running a Conti Sport attack in the rear, and I'm pleased with it. My last D208 only lasted 1500 miles and was shot. The Conti has around 1000 miles on it, and still looks fresh. I run lower air (24 psi) to get it to heat up enough, and I'm plenty fast enough for my tastes on the street on it too. I'm currently running it with the Conti Force SM in the front as a combo. The front sticks like glue, but the rear moves around a little more than with a true SM specific tire. But then again, isn't that part of supermoto anyway?
    www.FastBikeIndustries.com
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler
    '08 DRZ 400sm - FCR, E cams, SSW / MRD, Tuned by Wheeler
    '02 XR 50 - 1/4 scale stunt bike

Default rank these tires by width

Don't flame...there is probably a thread on this but I have searched and searched and can't find it.

Right now I have 160/60/17 Battleaxe tires on 5 in wheels. There are mounted to a wr450 and clearance is a big issue. I bought the bike with these tires but am now looking at getting either Conti's or Pilot Power's....
    Which of these tires is more narrow and are they more narrow than the battleaxe tires that are on the bike now? I want to continue to run a 160 but not at the cost of such limited clearance...will either of these tires help or will i have to step to a 150?
    Thanks

The Pilots are about the same as the 'Stones, I don't know about the Conti's, BUT I DO KNOW that Metzler M3's are narrower and are a damn good tire.

-miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

can someone advise on which tires to get. I just started riding the street, i basicaly comute from home to school and work hitting some curves on the way. But i just cruise them for now.i was thinking the michelin 2ct..... an input is welcome
    2007 dr-z400sm(black): 3x3 airbox mod; dj jet kit; full stainless yosh RS2 system; moose handguards

2003 rm125: FMF turbine core 2; pro taper bars; acerbis handguards; works connection frame guards

Quote Originally Posted by iwantaSM View Post
    can someone advise on which tires to get. I just started riding the street, i basicaly comute from home to school and work hitting some curves on the way. But i just cruise them for now.i was thinking the michelin 2ct..... an input is welcome
    The 2ct is a GREAT tire, you won't be dissapointed! They are perfect for what you will be doing.
    06 SV650S w/ 50,000+ Miles
    04 KTM 625 SMC w/ FULL Leo Vince X3 Exhaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Jer_Orr View Post
    The 2ct is a GREAT tire, you won't be dissapointed! They are perfect for what you will be doing.
    Hey, this is IwantaSM, but i now have one. What tire size fits on the stock drz wheels(front and back)
    2003 RM125, FMF pipe, works connections frameguards, protapers, and acerbis handguards
    2007 Drz400sm, full yosh stainless system, 3x3, JD jet kit, moose handguards.

1997 Ford Taurus, G edition, silver on silver. 15 inch factory hubcaps. 3.0 v6. it gets me around town, barely

I have 150/60/17 rear contiforce sm and 120/70/17 front conti sm on my 400sm.
    KTM 450 SMR

Question tires online?

where do you guys order your tires from online?

Thanks
    04 GSXR 1000
    04 CRF 450R SUMO

Items for Sale

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

Cheapest place I've found yet.
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler

cool thanks. those are cheap prices.
    04 GSXR 1000
    04 CRF 450R SUMO

yep.. americanmototire has about the best prices around

also http://www.tiresunlimited.com/motorcycle_tires.htm is good

I always order from www.swmototires.com, I believe they are even cheaper than americanmototire.com.

You get free shipping if you order a pair with them also!
    06 SV650S w/ 50,000+ Miles
    04 KTM 625 SMC w/ FULL Leo Vince X3 Exhaust!

Question Minimum load for street tyres?

Is there a minimum load for street tyres? eg. according to the bridgestone website, the BT21 is for 600cc-1000cc bikes but i'm riding a humble drz400sm. i need a long lasting tyre, don't do trackdays (for now) and i commute at least 30miles everyday..

what could happen if i were to use a tyre not rated for my displacement? is it a big deal or am i worrying too much over nothing?

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by flea. View Post
    Is there a minimum load for street tyres? eg. according to the bridgestone website, the BT21 is for 600cc-1000cc bikes but i'm riding a humble drz400sm. i need a long lasting tyre, don't do trackdays (for now) and i commute at least 30miles everyday..

what could happen if i were to use a tyre not rated for my displacement? is it a big deal or am i worrying too much over nothing?
    You'll trade the long life for a loss in stickiness and grip. I've ran a sportbike tire on the back now for around six months. I run low air (24 psi) and make sure to get it HOT first and I'm fast enough for my tastes with it.

I'd say if you're concerned about it read the reviews on the different tires and find one that gets a bit squirmy under a liter bike. For instance the review on the BT016 in one of last month's magazines said it was best with a 600 and got a bit overloaded with a liter bike, I'd take that as being more "suitable" for a lighter sumo. Or not its just my $.02

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by phonebem2 View Post
    I'd say if you're concerned about it read the reviews on the different tires and find one that gets a bit squirmy under a liter bike. For instance the review on the BT016 in one of last month's magazines said it was best with a 600 and got a bit overloaded with a liter bike, I'd take that as being more "suitable" for a lighter sumo. Or not its just my $.02
    ^^Very good point phonebem.

On a lightweight SM bike you run lower tire pressures to compensate for the lower weight loading.

Typical SM tire pressures are in the 23-26psi ballpark.

Heavier sportbike tire pressures are in the 33-37psi ballpark.

The Bridgestone BT021 tire is a sport-touring tire. Nice for the extra tire/mileage life. Next time around try to pick up a sport tire instead, like the BT016.
    Motorcycle Tire Services
    http://mototireguy.com
    04 Honda CBR1000RR
    05 Husaberg FS650E (Sold )

On the other hand, BT016s don't last long at all on my 625SMC. Around 2500 miles for the rear...
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc
    2002 YZ426F/448 supermoto - Behr/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

I run an SM conti on the rear and a Pilot 2CT on the front, handles like a champ at full pressure (36/42) and still has good wear.
    If you can't get it done with 40 hp you shouldn't try it.

conti SM has good wear? that lasted me 1200mi to wearbars.
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

I had 009's on my bandit.Nice tire for sport touring.Not alot grip when pushed hard, last a very long time. about 18000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by toten View Post
    conti SM has good wear? that lasted me 1200mi to wearbars.
    Sorry I mean it didnt wear funny because of pressure or type of use, I never see long life out of any rear tire that is sticky enough for what I like, and I usually get 2500 with a decent amount of abuse
    If you can't get it done with 40 hp you shouldn't try it.

Ah ok. I also guess 40whp isn't gonna tear up back tires anywhere near as fast as low 50s on my KTM, and I'm sure the higher pressure helps life too.
    2006 SV1000, not stock

Going for a Michelin Pilot Sport, anyone got any objections to that one?
    Husky Sm610 2006mod

pilot power 2 cts.....2000 mile on a crf450r 2007 and i'd say i got at least that or more left.....front is like 92 percent from the looks
    "You meet the nicest people on a HONDA."
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...b068a428cc.gif

Quote Originally Posted by neptyr View Post
    Going for a Michelin Pilot Sport, anyone got any objections to that one?
    They are probably one of the best street tires on the road.
    M&M racing
    www.mmracing.biz
    A Mini Road Racing Specialty Company

Mini and Supermoto roadracing
    http://www.semra.org/

Make yourself valuable, or you become expendible

Recently got a rear Bridgestone BT092 tyre for my SM610. Dual Compound so will hopefully take a bit more punishment than the OEM tyres. Is very steady on the move, has quite deep tread so can off road quite well if not very well. The only drawback is maybe it liking to skip around a bit under heavy braking but nothing to serious, very stable when leant over would give it a 9/10 so far as it seems to be wearing well, but to early to say only 2-300 miles down the road so far.

SM610 08

I've Run Shinkos On My Rc-51 And Had No Real Problems On The Road, But On The Track I Go With Pilot Powers..... I Have Powers On My Dr 650 Right Now....but I Think I'll Try Pilot Road 2ct Next Or Avon Storms.... I Have A 100 Mile Ride One Way To Get To Ojai From My House....so I Need To Give Up A Little Sticky For Mileage......

Advertisement
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast