SuperMoto Junkie banner

Tires for your street SM

407K views 764 replies 299 participants last post by  BlackPanther 
#1 ·
#306 · (Edited)
For Those Shopping For Tires You Should Check Out http://www.ronayers.com.

I Priced Out Several Options From There And They're Cheaper (In Some Cases Not By Much, But Still) Than The Other Sites Mentioned In This Thread.

120/70 and 160/60 Pairs Are Priced As Follows (Ad $12 A Tire For Shipping, Or $24 For The Pair):

- Metzler Sportec M3 (Pair): $183 + Shipping

- Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's (Pair): $215 + Shipping

- Dunlop Q2's (Pair): $222 + Shipping

- Shinko 005 Advance (Pair): $154 + Shipping

For $50 Less Than The Other Sets I Think I'm Going To End Up Going With The Shinko's. I've Always Run Shinko's On My Sportbikes (CBR1000RR, SV650) And Have Had Good Luck. I'm Purely A Street Rider But I Have Never Had An Issue With Traction Wet Or Dry.

#307 ·
Got my 016's mounted up yesterday. So far, they're phenomenal. This is at the 40 mile mark.

#308 ·
Just got back from the track... if you have track days in mind, stay away from the distanzias. I think these were the dual sport compound- luckily I've only put the rear on. It stepped out on me more times than I can count. Only went down once in a slow speed corner, but the thing kept trying to step out under power any time I asked more from it.

#309 ·
I ran the 150/70 17 Distanzia to the tune of 6400 miles now (it's square due to commuting), but still plenty grippy. It is certainly not a super sticky tire, but for most riders, it should be enough grip for 90% of the stuff you'll see on the road. Offroad, it's got loads more traction than a conventional street tire. They are heavier, and I noticed the tip in and rpm differences after mounting them, but they were much much much more predictable than the Dunflops that came on the bike.

#310 ·
I didn't really care for the Distanzias, after scrubbing in (which took forever) I only got about 5-600 miles out of mine in the SM compound. Time will tell, but so far the BT 016 is the best I've tried yet, sticky as flypaper. I like them even more than the Pilot Powers, and that's saying something as I went through three set of them back to back.

#322 ·
Good to hear it Randy, I have been debating on the 016's and 003's.....but I still have a couple Maxxis soft slicks and a set (front and rear) of Power Pure soft's...anybody tried those? They were discontinued......

#311 ·
After looking at bridgestone's website, it looks like the BT090 is for lower displacement bikes (to silence all the "sportbike tires on motard" arguments) and it appears (per their chart) to be more for performance riding. The BT016 is for sport and touring. I had a set of 016s on the 610 and liked it well enough... but I also didn't have any trouble with the distanzias (SM compound) on that bike. Just proves how much quicker the DR-Z is. :rofl:

#313 ·
:rofl: I've never heard of the 090's, I was recommended the 016's. I put over 100 miles on them today, with a couple locals. I actually prefer a sport tire due to the profile, but that's just personal preference though. I ask a lot from my tires, and I'm happy to say, these are my favorites yet, out of about 10 different kinds.

Very sticky!

Rear

Front

#315 ·
I've heard they're bad in the rain due to the edges having no siping at all. I try to avoid getting wet though, and like the naked edges, no siping there to promote tire squirm.

#316 ·
What size tire are you running on the front? I have Contiforce's on front and rear of my yz450 but the rear lasted me about 700 miles so my other question do they make the 016s in 150? I am running a 4.25" rim and not trying to get hurt. I ride the bike very hard and lean it pretty far id say peg bearly touches here and there so I don't want to get a 160 and throw it over and lowside.

#320 · (Edited)
Well after reading some more I am debating between the BT-016s or the 003s both come in 150/60 I ride very hard and back roads only, really. Rarely on the highway so performance over longevity is my priority. Need some more input guys pew pew! Some tire pressure suggestions would be good too for these tires.

#321 ·
Im after a 150 tire that actually IS 150mm(give or take 1-2mm).
Does anyone know of a good sticky tire(more for track use) thats accurate with its measurement?
Id be looking at 150/60/17 on a 4.25" rim.

Reason is,i have a 150 now(michelin power road2) but its more like 154mm and its so close to chain its rubbing it, have about 1mm-2mm clearance at the moment.
Would hate to order a 150 that ends up being 155mm+ like ive heard can happen.

#324 ·
Well I got the BT-003's in today and went for a short ride. I don't trust them just yet so I went easy with them. I love the new stance my bike has now. It leans more forward now which is great! THey are wider for sure but thanks to my Graves chain block the chain only touched the tire a few times. 150/60R 120/70F 26psi Rear 24psi Front. So far I love them and did not slip under hard acceleration just have to get the balls to lean it over more.

#325 ·
My Pures are still holding up pretty well. I've put somewhere around 500 miles on them so far (my Vapor went retarded and wiped all my logged miles) with two days on a track. The last 200 or so street miles have been at track pressures and they're still showing minimal signs of wear. I definitely plan on running these again.

#326 ·
Hi Guys! Ive been looking to buy some new tires for mye ktm. I bought the bike used for a couple a weeks ago and the guy who had it before me had only been riding the bike with dirt wheels. The sm wheels have not been used for three years before i got them on.

The ting is that i am not very satisfied with them :rolleyes2: At the gocart track the back wheel slips before i can even get my knee down.
Im looking for some good tyres that get warm fast and have good grip! :D
sorry bad english! :laughings

#327 ·
Welp, I was eyeballing the Distanzias and the Pirelli Angel ST's pretty hard, but decided to turn left and put Shinko 003 Stealths on tonight. I'll see how I like them. Even if I burn them off in a month, they weren't expensive to begin with, and I got a good deal on them.

#328 ·
Distanzia - 150/60 Or 160/60 On A Standard SM610 Rim?

I've decided to try Avon's Distanzia Tyres but can't make up my mind which size would be best on the standard 4.25" rim rear rim?

What do you think?

What do the majority out there prefer?

What is the chain clearance like using the 160/60?

#329 · (Edited)
Hi There,

For a 4,25"rim, 100% a 150/60-17 of 150/70-17.

I've been riding on Heidenau K73 for the last half year or so, Really like them, not the best for street, but well enough for some hard riding, expect some moving around due to the knobbly profile, but when you go off-road, their great. Good in the rain too, but be smooth on the exit of the turn with the throttle, because it's possible to make them slip.

When the rear is done, i'll replace it with a Heidenau K76, 150/70-17. Should be good for autumn/ winter time.

I know my bike is'nt a Supermoto, but am working on replacing it.

Best regards,
Thanas

#330 ·
i can second that the bt016s are a great tire. When i bought the bike the guy took it to the track rubber rolling off everywhere and ive since then put over 500 miles and they have lots of life left. I ride a 250x so its light and underpowered i suspect i will get 2-3K out of them. And im picky about tires too and have always been a pilot guy but might reconsider when its tire for new tires

#332 ·
Well, the 016's are done, and I'm going to revise my initial review of them after using them up.

After about 300 miles, they never felt as planted at full lean as the Pilots, even though they were stickier. They were more predictable when they let loose for sure, but they let loose earlier than the Pilots. After about the 500 mile mark, they would wiggle around and get loose for lack of a better explanation. They ball up rubber like crazy though, so that's a little odd to me.

Keep in mind our pavement is a rough, gnarly consistency. 20 years of weather has pretty much washed most of the tar away, leaving a lot of the gravel exposed. Great grip, hell on tires. I got just over 1,000 miles out of the 016's, pretty normal for around here.

I'm getting tired of shelling out $250 on tires that come up short of my expectations though, and I'm about ready to just start grooving slicks. I don't get to ride as much these days, and I don't get any life out of tires anyway, so I want all out flypaper like grip. Around here, you'd probably never hear a word about them.

#333 ·
1050 miles on the Shinko 003's. Most of the miles are highway commuting, I'm very happy with them, they're not squared off too bad, they have excellent drive out of corners.

#335 ·
I mounted up a set of Bridgestone BT 003R tires a few weeks back. I have around 500 miles on them, and so far I freaking love these things. Way more grip at the edge than the 016, and doesn't lose it's composure over the bumps like the 016's did either. Provided they stay consistent throughout their life, this may be my new go to tire.

Some things to consider about my tire selection process;

1. I rarely ride true motard stuff, more 50-60mph sweepers most of the time.
2. I'm not a foot out guy, I'm a knee out guy + I ride 99% pavement and my suspension is set up for that
3. I'm not backing it in, or sliding the bike (at least I hope not :D); I want it to be super stable mid corner, yet still neutral handling and responsive.
4. They're not Michelin's. I won't run any more Michelin's due to them rubbing holes in my pricey HD tubes from the pattern inside them.

All in all, I'm very pleased so far. I'm just hoping I can still get the usual 1,000 miles out of them, but we'll see. I'll update my review once they're done, same as I did the 016.

#336 ·
I may have to try the 003's. I know of a couple of people who rail on them on the street with the sportbikes.

I've been using the regular pilot powers that came with the bike, and I do love the tires, but I just don't have any trust in them. Kind of ridiculous, I know, but coming from sportbikes, I would have never ran pilot powers for the type of riding I do.

I may just use a power pure or power one up front and keep the PP rear.

#337 ·
I'm telling ya, I really like 'em. The Pilot Powers were good tires when they came out, 5 or 6 years ago, but tire tech has come a long way since then. The one thing I didn't like about them (and I liked them) was they would let go without any real warning, and Chase warned me about that. The 003R's have gotten a little loose with me, but it's nice and predictable, and not "I think the rear is, OH SHIT....." :lol:

I'm sure my suspension plays into that too. It's crazy good, it's like the tires talk to you there's so much feedback from each tire separately. It gives me so much confidence when I know what the bike will do, and I can simply relax and ride it. Dave is the MAN!

#338 ·
I tried Pilot Powers on my 690 SMR when they got so cheap I couldn't say no... I was surprised to find they lasted as long as the Dunlop Roadsmarts I had on before that, and with better grip and feel, it seemed a no brainer to keep using them.

I just picked up a 990 SMT and I'm impressed with the Conti Sport Attacks on it as well. Canyonchasers' review said they lasted better than the Road Attacks in a side by side test.

The ones I'm really wanting to try out are the Conti Motions, I've read a lot of stellar reviews of them and they are absolutely STUPID cheap to boot... like $161 for a set for the SMR from Motorcycle Superstore. Most of the reviews say it's a great tire at any price though, just happens to be really cheap.

#339 ·
Well, my rear tire is down to the wear bars on the 690SMC. The odometer is at 1700 miles and the stock supercorsa pro is showing signs of giving up.

I get great deals from michelin at work so I'm probably going to stick with one of their tires but i want to hear some reccomendations.

I'm leaning towards trying the new pilot road 3's due to the added siping. I think they might be surprising in the dirt and wear a little better than pilot powers.
I'm a little concerned about the difference in lean angle, so I might order the 170/60R17 to get a little more leaned contact patch.

I had power pilots on my DRZ and I did not like the dirt performance, not to mention they only lasted 1200 miles (so that would be even less on the SMC)

I know I'm asking alot form a set of tires but here are my requirements in order of importance:

Great grip at full lean (I do everything from tight 2nd gear switchbacks to long 65 mph sweepers)
good wear (I'd like to change oil more than I change tires!!)
Good dirt performance (the pressa cut slicks were amazing for near slicks in the dirt)
Price is negotiable depending on the other factors

I'm willing to give on one of these factors if the tire excels in the others.
For example, I got the Pressa precut slicks for $100 a set off ebay (not available any more) and they were great on twisties and dirt, and cheap. But I did wear them out in 1000mi. But I hated the Power pilots because they were terrible in the dirt, good in the corners, cheap, and wore fast

#343 ·
I know I'm asking alot form a set of tires but here are my requirements in order of importance:

Great grip at full lean (I do everything from tight 2nd gear switchbacks to long 65 mph sweepers)
good wear (I'd like to change oil more than I change tires!!)
Good dirt performance (the pressa cut slicks were amazing for near slicks in the dirt)
Price is negotiable depending on the other factors

I'm willing to give on one of these factors if the tire excels in the others.
For example, I got the Pressa precut slicks for $100 a set off ebay (not available any more) and they were great on twisties and dirt, and cheap. But I did wear them out in 1000mi. But I hated the Power pilots because they were terrible in the dirt, good in the corners, cheap, and wore fast
Joe, you won't get all four out of any one tire. I go through a set of tires in 1,000 miles regardless of who makes them, if they're soft enough to rail in the corners that is. I'd say the Distanzias, but mine were shot in 700 miles, even on a DRZ. Railing on the pavement will cook them, they just can't take the heat cycles.

I simply gave up dirt riding on the street bike, and accepted that I'm willing to replace tires every 1,000 miles in order to have the confidence that comes with exceptional street grip on the edge of the tire. So far, the 003R is the best yet, but time will tell. I only have around 400 miles on mine.

What tubes do you run in the 003's?
I'm really not sure what they are, my local mechanic gets them for me, but I think they're Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes. So I don't have to worry about rubbing holes in them like I did with the Pilot Powers. They are 4mm thick I think. I replace them every other set of tires for peace of mind, since you can see the rubber that's been rubbed off the tube inside the tire when you take them off.

#344 ·
Holy crap! i gotta ride like that!

So here's my little review on the Shinko 003's now that they're done.

I really like them. For the price, you can't complain....They are ok in hardpack and semi-loose dirt, they SUCK on gravel.

Given that I got 2700 miles out of these, and they more or less generally suck off road (duh), I think I'm going to pay $30 per tire more for Pirelli MT-60's and stick with them year round. I got about the same miles out of them, and they were really good off road and awesome in the rain. They also stick to the road like glue no matter what kinda shit is on the pavement, unlike the 003's which were too sportybike-like. I liked the MT-60's ability to allow me to ignore trash on the road.

I considered giving the Avon Distanzias a try, but after seeing them in action in gravel I determined that the Pirelli's are superior for my purposes.
My Shinkos were Sh!tkos. They were unbalanced above 70 mph and still slid all over. i like your Pirelli's, these look like the best overall huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.