Tires for your street SM - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Tires for your street SM

Quote Originally Posted by WMW Holland View Post
    Stock rim is 4.25 in the rear, meaning it'd be best just to stick with a 150. It's not impossible at all to run 160's, I've done it once with a set, but not ideal, and it's not what the designers of the tyre intended you to do with it. Because you squeeze the tyre it will become more oval (pointy-wise), this will result in less rubber making contact with the street, and your tyres wearing out quicker, especially in the beginning.

When looking for tyres, try mentioning the climate and such. I'm running a Distanzia 150 in allroad compound (harder than supermoto) on the SMR, had it on my 125 two stroke too, also in the Winter. This one is abit too hard for a supermoto in cold or wet conditions imo. However, when I bought this tyre they didn't made the 150 yet in supermoto compound, on only 160 had that. So when I wear out this one (can take a while!) I'll transfer to SM compound. During the summer, when dry this tyre is more than excellent, especially on the 510. Can't say for the front tyre though, never used that one.

If you really don't care for longevity you could also go with a Goldspeed Intermediate and choose a compound according to your climate. Great tyres, but the rear wears rather quickly. I don't know about availability in the US of A though.
    Just mounted a set of Distanzias (120 70 17 and 160 60 17) today, as they are being replaced by Avon with Trailriders. I emailed Avon to see if they were going to offer the Trailriders in SM compound, no reply. Asked the tire people, clueless. Mixed replies from tire distributors, I,m assuming guessing on their part. The 150 was plentiful BTW. They both, Trailrider and distanzia, are still on Avon's website but the "shop now" button brings up very few (2 in my case) sellers. IMO the Trailrider is a Shinko 705 with double the price, no doubt better rubber.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    Just mounted a set of Distanzias (120 70 17 and 160 60 17) today, as they are being replaced by Avon with Trailriders. I emailed Avon to see if they were going to offer the Trailriders in SM compound, no reply. Asked the tire people, clueless. Mixed replies from tire distributors, I,m assuming guessing on their part. The 150 was plentiful BTW. They both, Trailrider and distanzia, are still on Avon's website but the "shop now" button brings up very few (2 in my case) sellers. IMO the Trailrider is a Shinko 705 with double the price, no doubt better rubber.
    I'm looking for a 150/60/17 SM destinzia right now. Everybody seems to be on backorder. If anyone knows where to buy for a decent price please post

Quote Originally Posted by *B* View Post
    I'm looking for a 150/60/17 SM destinzia right now. Everybody seems to be on backorder. If anyone knows where to buy for a decent price please post
    I had one in my hand a week ago at Chaparral, just checked the size as I was picking up the last front they had. Ebay had several 150s when i was searching for the 160. Avon had 3 vendors, 2 had ship in 2-3 days. 3 on ebay right now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Don't buy a distanzia unless you just need that look. Other than that, stick with last generation's sport bike tires like the pilot power, Dunlop qualifier, bridge stone bt003 or bt016 etc. The distanzia is way too expensive now.
    07FJR1300A
    08 KTM 250 XC
    14 YZ450F

PS: small question,

can anyone recommend supermoto rain tyres that come in the size 110mm? I'm trying to find a rain front tyre for my MX125 with a 3.0x17 inch front rim for in the winter, but they all seems to be 120mm only...
    no-one?
    '11 Derbi Senda DRD SM, that one has been sold.
    '07 Aprilia MX 125 S2 Edition, small two-smoker.
    '09 Husqvarna 510 SMR, it does broap.

I had one in my hand a week ago at Chaparral, just checked the size as I was picking up the last front they had. Ebay had several 150s when i was searching for the 160. Avon had 3 vendors, 2 had ship in 2-3 days. 3 on ebay right now.
    Yea, I've had two transactions reversed. One on ebay and one website, held my money for 72hrs BS. I'll check ebay again.

Was that the one for $88?

Was that the one for $88?
    No, it was from Bluekollarmotorsports(EBAY). They sold me a tire, took my money, then reversed the transaction and re-listed the tire for double the price. In their email they said they didnt realize they were out of stock. Watch out for those guys.

I found the one for $88 + $10 shipped (150/60/17 supermoto compound). Thanks for the heads up, I ordered today and it shipped same afternoon. Everything looks good so far, there's one left in stock if anyone needs it, can't beat the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avon-AM44-Di...tTAkfp&vxp=mtr

I got my 160 from Dennis Kirk, $179 shipped. Then up popped the one on eBay for $109 from the guys you got yours from. Mine has 70 dollars worth of better rubber, guaranteed.

I'm a happy camper, should have them back on the bike Saturday morning. Wheelies by noon.

I got my 160 from Dennis Kirk, $179 shipped. Then up popped the one on eBay for $109 from the guys you got yours from. Mine has 70 dollars worth of better rubber, guaranteed.
    Yea that's crazy cheap for a rear, I'll post a review for these guys when it gets here

Yes, IronPonyDirect on EBAY is legit!!!! I got a NEW destinzia rear 150/60/17 supermoto compound delivered for $98 bucks, incredible deal.

PS: small question,

can anyone recommend supermoto rain tyres that come in the size 110mm? I'm trying to find a rain front tyre for my MX125 with a 3.0x17 inch front rim for in the winter, but they all seems to be 120mm only...
    hmm, no suggestions and I haven't been able to find any myself either. I guess I'll get myself a 120/60 Goldspeed SM rain tyre and just squeeze it into the 3.0 rim, still seems like a better option than a Michelin pilot road 3.
    '11 Derbi Senda DRD SM, that one has been sold.
    '07 Aprilia MX 125 S2 Edition, small two-smoker.
    '09 Husqvarna 510 SMR, it does broap.

Default New AVON Trailrider TIres

Has anyone tried the new AVON Trailrider tires? They are supposed to have replaced the Distanzia. I was considering using the Heidenau K73 but those trailrider tires have me re-thinking what to run. Cam.
    2011 Husky SMS 630 (declogged, de-catted, JDed)
    2008 CRF230 (CR250 forks); 2007 CRF450; 2006 FZ6R
    2002 KTM 200EXC; 1998 CBR900RR Fireblade; 1989 XR200

Quote Originally Posted by KXcam22 View Post
    Has anyone tried the new AVON Trailrider tires? They are supposed to have replaced the Distanzia. I was considering using the Heidenau K73 but those trailrider tires have me re-thinking what to run. Cam.
    The Trailriders are over priced Shinko 705s. The Distanzias are still on Avon's site. Whilst searching for my Distanzias I was told they were due back this summer, even though Avon never replied to my email. The Trailriders don't come in SM compound. The Trailriders are replacements for the Distanzias, but hopefully one way or another I hope the bring a SM compound to the USofA, either the Trailriders or the Distanzias.

I'm going to run the Pilot Power 3 that I do know. All this talk about tires, and not one mention of what tubes to run and where to get them? I'm all ears...

Any tubes from anywhere.

To live outside the law my dear you gotta givea damn.
    I live for this

2001 XR650LSM,Clark tank,Warp 9 wheels,Avon Distanzia's,40mm FCR -MX carb,UNI Filter,Marko Header,White brothers E2 muffler,CRF450R USD forks & triples,BRP SUB Mount,Scott's Damper,MotoMaster racing caliper & Rotor,Brembo 16/18 Radial MC,15-43 gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by SumoPsycho View Post
    Any tubes from anywhere.

To live outside the law my dear you gotta givea damn.
    Most informative, thanks.

The Trailriders are over priced Shinko 705s. The Distanzias are still on Avon's site. Whilst searching for my Distanzias I was told they were due back this summer, even though Avon never replied to my email. The Trailriders don't come in SM compound. The Trailriders are replacements for the Distanzias, but hopefully one way or another I hope the bring a SM compound to the USofA, either the Trailriders or the Distanzias.
    I have the Trailriders on my KTM450. I only have a few rides on them. They are OK. I got them because I take my SM off road quite often

Default tubeless

I won't run any wheels which require tunes buy 95% of people on this forum probably do. Try posting to a different threat.

Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    I won't run any wheels which require tunes buy 95% of people on this forum probably do. Try posting to a different threat.
    My bike is factory motard, with tubes in the wheels. I can't justify buying new wheels just to not run tubes.

I run tubes. May weigh a bit more, but I won't notice any difference. I usually run whatever tube is cheapish- not like my tard is going to see many rocks. It's not street legal either, so no stairs in my immediate future. I've had great luck with kenda HD tubes for street supermoto. They seem to be pretty thick and beefy. I put a UHD tube in the front of a neighbor's dirt bike and it was extremely thick. In my dirt bike I just run tubliss.
    07FJR1300A
    08 KTM 250 XC
    14 YZ450F

Quote Originally Posted by redhotz28 View Post
    I run tubes. May weigh a bit more, but I won't notice any difference. I usually run whatever tube is cheapish- not like my tard is going to see many rocks. It's not street legal either, so no stairs in my immediate future. I've had great luck with kenda HD tubes for street supermoto. They seem to be pretty thick and beefy. I put a UHD tube in the front of a neighbor's dirt bike and it was extremely thick. In my dirt bike I just run tubliss.
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by KXcam22 View Post
    Did you pick these up? Curious to hear about them firsthand as I like Distanzias... just got my hands on a 690 SMC with fresh rubber (Sportmax Q3's) so I won't need any right away but I'm very interested in these Trailriders...
    Last edited by Kwota; 03-25-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Can anybody help me find the post that stated actual tire width of 160 tires? I just put a 2ct 160 on a 5" wheel and its it already touching my chain. I want a 160 because of the wheel but I remember reading the Michelin is already a very wide 160.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Steve View Post
    Can anybody help me find the post that stated actual tire width of 160 tires? I just put a 2ct 160 on a 5" wheel and its it already touching my chain. I want a 160 because of the wheel but I remember reading the Michelin is already a very wide 160.
    http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...ght=tire+width

Anybody running S20 of BT016 on a 5 inch wheel?

Could you measure the actual width for me? (160 and 150 tire)

Any difference between these tires? I read that the S20 are supposed to be better, still a lot of people i know prefer the BT016..
    KTM 525 EXC Racing SM

Default Question on Metzeler tires

I really like the tires (I'm sure every brand makes them) that look to be slicks, or close to it, that have those notches (for a lack of a better word) every 3-5 inches apart. I know they aren't DOT approved but most sumos aren't DOT approved lol. How difficult is it to ride those tires on a very clean, well paved street? Anyone have experience riding those on a street on a SM?
    2016 Husquvarna 701SM
    2014 Ducati Monster 796 - sold
    2001 CBR600F4i - sold
    Link to Husq Forums: http://supermotojunkie.com/forumdisp...p?36-Husqvarna
    Link to Husq parts: http://www.ktm-parts.com/HUSQRMAPA.html

Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    I really like the tires (I'm sure every brand makes them) that look to be slicks, or close to it, that have those notches (for a lack of a better word) every 3-5 inches apart. I know they aren't DOT approved but most sumos aren't DOT approved lol. How difficult is it to ride those tires on a very clean, well paved street? Anyone have experience riding those on a street on a SM?
    I think most I've seen are Michelin or Maxxis/Goldspeed. I imagine they'd work fine but, as race tires, they'll likely be soft enough to wear out VERY quickly, need heat to start to work well, or both.
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc
    2002 YZ426F/448 supermoto - Behr/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

Default New tires for my 660 SMC preferably not conti attack sm

Hi guys

I want to try something other than the Continental ContiAttack SM's any recommendations?

I want good grip like the conti attack but am tired of using about 5 rear tires and 2 front tires/year.

Take note that I live in Denmark (Europe) so only few months with warm weather

Please help me out here.

Quote Originally Posted by krede99 View Post
    Hi guys

I want to try something other than the Continental ContiAttack SM's any recommendations?

I want good grip like the conti attack but am tired of using about 5 rear tires and 2 front tires/year.

Take note that I live in Denmark (Europe) so only few months with warm weather

Please help me out here.

I live in Holland, so basically the same climate as you

Still don't know which tires to choose..

Thinking about these tires:
    Heidenau K80
    Bridgestone BT016 (pro)
    Bridgestone S20 (evo)
    Bridgestone BT090 (because these are specifically for lighter bikes)
    Michelin PP CT2
    Michelin Power Pure SC
    Metzeler Sportec M5
    Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
    Dunlop Q2

The reason i list these tires above is because they are less then 100 euros (mostly below 90 euros) Thats like less then $120 for a rear tire.
    Leaning towards the K80 or BT090 as they are especially for lighter bikes / supermoto's..

I had these tires before:
    Maxxis Prese M6119 (superior grip, also offroad. But the were worn within 1000km in the summer)
    Contiattack SM ( dont know exactly why, but i really dont like these tires much, although they are extremely populair among my friends... )
    Michelin Power One ( very grippy race tire!!! unfortunately they dont make these any more in 150 or 160 sizes )
    Pirelli Supercorsa Dragon ( good tire, really grippy but pricey )
    Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa (very good tire, but again, really pricey... )
    Metzeler Sportec M1 ( takes a bit long to warm up, but a pretty good tire, not really suitable for supermoto in my opinion )

Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I dont want sport/tour tires, more like sport/racy tires! I ride really hard with some trackdays. When i'm not on the track i'm still riding like i'm on the track
    Last edited by SM3; 06-28-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    KTM 525 EXC Racing SM

I Just ordered a BT090 R Pro. there is about 1 week delivery time so luckily I have 1 week of vacation time with the kids coming up :-p

I've had my DRZ400SM since the Spring of this year and where I live on Vancouver island we have a lot of roads with gravel/shale sides and a lot of this gets moved out onto the road surface from large lumber trucks and tourist mobiles especially in the mountain roads which can be narrow and very twisty. What I have been doing every week is picking sharp shards of stone out of my rear stock tire with my pocket knife. It's only a matter of time before I pickup a shard large enough that cuts through the case so I have been looking at the Heidenau K73's which because of the block tread pattern might help with this. Also the pattern is tight so the ride will be fairly decent I think. The tires have silica compounds and rated to be excellent in the rain which we have a lot of out here in the PNW. The bike shop I deal with has installed them on other DRZ's and the 160 rear has no problem with clearance. |

Well I just ordered up a 120/70 and a 160/60 Heidenau K73 set for my 690smc. They look pretty sweet and I've been reading about guys getting 5-8K out of a rear, and my buddy seemed to like his on his Husky 610 on a 1000km gravel and highway rip last fall - we were riding fast and they did get a fair bit of wear, but he was railing those dirt turns. My recent Q3 rear is down to the belt so I'm thinking that it was about that time to get a new set and I'll possibly get another set for the summer heat. I'll miss the crazy drifts with our recent cold weather and my lack of rubber, but the fact that my rims are tubeless and I'm down to the belt is beginning to make me a little thoughtful, like how much rubber is on the inside of that belt keeping things nice and pressurized lol... I'll let you guys know how the K73's are

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I've had my DRZ400SM since the Spring of this year and where I live on Vancouver island we have a lot of roads with gravel/shale sides and a lot of this gets moved out onto the road surface from large lumber trucks and tourist mobiles especially in the mountain roads which can be narrow and very twisty. What I have been doing every week is picking sharp shards of stone out of my rear stock tire with my pocket knife. It's only a matter of time before I pickup a shard large enough that cuts through the case so I have been looking at the Heidenau K73's which because of the block tread pattern might help with this. Also the pattern is tight so the ride will be fairly decent I think. The tires have silica compounds and rated to be excellent in the rain which we have a lot of out here in the PNW. The bike shop I deal with has installed them on other DRZ's and the 160 rear has no problem with clearance. |
    This is an update with the K73/MS on my DRZ400SM. The ride is a little harder than the stock Dunlop's but I got used to it pretty quick, the amount of inflation is higher than the stock tires. The profile of the tires is just perfect for this bike. With the stock Dunlop's I had to force it into the turns and if not careful would occasionally come out wide. The K73's are a delight as they allow the bike to literally fall into the turn and just stay there no matter what speed your doing, I love them for that. The wet weather performance is excellent and very noticeably different than the stock tires, great traction. The only downside for me is that the lower profile though wider has my speedo reading 6 km higher than actual speed where as the stock tires read 4 km higher and my revs are up a notch as well so I will switch out the rear sprocket from a 39 tooth to a 38 just to get the revs back to where I like to cruise in top gear. I don't know about wear at this point but the difference in performance is so nice I'll be buying these again when I need new rubber. If you have a DRZ400SM you won't be disappointed with these tires.

Wow long time ago for my posting something here

But i decided to go with Michelin (mainly because of the prices here in my country/region).

Michelin Pilot Power 2ct 160/60 in the rear - a bit harder than the front, but still warm up quick, goog grip and feedback.
    Michelin Power one 2CT 120/70 up front - nice soft compound and warm up really quick!

Wish that the Power one's were still available in 160... Unfortunately the smallest are 180 now..
    I saw that the Shinko Stealth tire has the same thread pattern which i like! Not sure about the quality of the tire though...
    KTM 525 EXC Racing SM

Advertisement
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415