Tires for your street SM - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 732

Thread: Tires for your street SM

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GluffiS View Post
    My experience is that 3000 miles is pretty good for a rear tyre on a big supermoto. Might be my riding style but havn't had any rear tyre last beyond 2000 miles...
    You would think that with a LOT less weight that a sport bike and a lot less horsepower that rears would last a long time. Those big power pulses just destroy rear tires though.

  2.  
    Advertisement
  3. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ventura, Ca. U.S.A.
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lammyracer View Post
    Sounds good, whaddidit cost ya?
    It was $330 otd installed @ Cal Coast in Ventura. Rode em HARD this weekend and loved every minute of them! I used to run with or in front of most people I rode with, now I realize how F'n crazy that was being that I was riding Metz M6's and they had good rubber. In hindsight I was ice racing and didn't even know it. Now it's stupid sticky, I was dragging peg all over GETTIN it. Thanks for you all's advise.

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Västerås, Sweden
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowercasee View Post
    You would think that with a LOT less weight that a sport bike and a lot less horsepower that rears would last a long time. Those big power pulses just destroy rear tires though.
    But 160 tyres are still cheaper than 190's that I used to run on my ZX-9R. 200$ for a good rear Michelin here in sweden, 300$ for a matching one to my Ninja.

    Still waiting for some front brake parts so I can evaluate the PowerOne Competition I mounted rear. I guess I need to get one for the front as well But first impression is that it turns like bicycle
    Husaberg FE450 -08

    Even alcohol can bend the room...

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lammyracer View Post
    You must be outside the U.S. because that tire isn't even available here...
    Am in London (UK). Quick update on the tire, seems to be wearing well, has become very grippy and all-around confidance inspiring. Hopefully it'll go further than 2000 miles. Have just put a Pilot Road 2 on the front, i would have rathered the 2ct but they were out of stock and i was in a rush. Tyre looks good am seems to hold a lot of grip even though i haven't bedded it in yet.

    ________________________________

    SM 610 08' In London Town!

  7. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Västerås, Sweden
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Had a real go yesterday on a Supermotard track with the Michelin PowerOne Competition B. Grip was awsome and really quick turning compared to my old street tyres. Gonna get me a matching front and have a real try.
    Husaberg FE450 -08

    Even alcohol can bend the room...

  8. #106
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Hey folks,

    I just ordered a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT from American Motorcycle Tire. It's a 160/60/ZR17 for my '07 DR-Z 400 SM. Once I get a chance to try it out I'll write up how I like it.
    Tires are so expensive for our SM's and there is a limited amount of info on here relating to Good Vs. Bad about what tires are good for a certain type of riding. Hopefully I'll be able to help somebody else make a good decision like other's have helped me. Have fun riding!!
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane." - Waylon Jennings

    '07 DR-Z 400 SM - It's yeller...

  9. #107
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SavagePete View Post
    Hey folks,

    I just ordered a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT from American Motorcycle Tire. It's a 160/60/ZR17 for my '07 DR-Z 400 SM. Once I get a chance to try it out I'll write up how I like it.
    Tires are so expensive for our SM's and there is a limited amount of info on here relating to Good Vs. Bad about what tires are good for a certain type of riding. Hopefully I'll be able to help somebody else make a good decision like other's have helped me. Have fun riding!!
    There is a ton of info on this site alone re: tires!
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

    -miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

  10. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    179

    Default

    just ran 160/60 and 120/60 Bto 14s and metzler m1s, size 160/60 and 160/70.

    BTO14s were great, awe inspiring tires. heated real fast, good cold grip, great warm grip. Tread lasted suprisingly long. M1s feel taller, faster tilt in. there is no chain rub with m1s like there is on the bto 14s. M1s have equal feedback, and they are so similar in quality. the m1s my favorite because the narrower, taller rear profile makes it more fun. I love tall tipsy sm bikes!

    Rock on!

    Next up are pirelli diablows.
    DRZ-400SM '08 [30k 1 crash!]
    ZX14 '06 [32k BEAST!]

    "The difference between a hoover and a harley is the position of the dirtbag."

  11. #109
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    32

    Default

    running ~ 1500miles on my BT-16s, i would say that the grip is much better than the stock dunlops on my Z. the rear doesn't skid on hard braking unlike the dunlops, the BT-16 front is not as sharp profiled as the dunlops though but it's no big issue, the smooth steering and better grip was worth my money.

  12. #110
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Has anyone tried a PP2 front and PR2 rear? I'm just shredding back tires on my 625SMC and would like something that will last decently. Right now I'm running BT016s and other than longevity am quite happy with them.
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc
    2002 YZ426F/448 supermoto - Behr/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

  13. #111
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toten View Post
    Has anyone tried a PP2 front and PR2 rear? I'm just shredding back tires on my 625SMC and would like something that will last decently. Right now I'm running BT016s and other than longevity am quite happy with them.
    Yeh im running a PP 2ct on the front its nice.
    Running a dunlop roadsmart on the rear tho (dunlop equiv of the 2ct)
    theyre really heavy tires
    The candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast

  14. #112
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Are there any suggestions for other tires that last a long time but aren't super heavy?
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    2006 SV1000, not stock
    2003 WR450F supermoto - street legal, Excel/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc
    2002 YZ426F/448 supermoto - Behr/Talon wheels, Brembo/Braking brakes, etc

  15. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toten View Post
    Are there any suggestions for other tires that last a long time but aren't super heavy?
    Metzler Sportec M3. Good life, good grip, but expensive...
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

    -miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

  16. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    19

    Default Contiforce SM rear tire

    Hi all,

    For the rear of DRZ400E with 17" Warp 9 wheels, what would the difference in handling be between a Contiforce SM 150/70-17 and 150/60-17?

    Great site, great info, thanks in advance

  17. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    finland
    Posts
    879

    Default

    woud first need to know how wide the rim is? if it's 5" then 160 or 4,25" it's 150
    2001 ktm 540exc sm/plated
    2006 ktm 250sxs

  18. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Thanks for the width info,

    It's a 4.25" rim, I was wondering about the aspect ratio,
    150/60-17 vs 150/70-17

    I'm new to this and wonder how that will effect performance.....

  19. #117
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Can't speak for those sizes of Contis, but I have had 150/60/17 and 150/70/17 Distanzias on my old XR.

    Comparing grip levels is a bit of a dubious science with them, as the Avon 150/60 is a softer, SM specific compound while their 150/70 is a dual sport compound.

    What I can say though, is that the 150/70/17 was only listed as being suitable for (if I remember correctly) 3" to 4" wide rims.

    The 150/70 I had was fitted to a 4.25" and there was something about it that didn't feel quite right.... never bad enough to be a problem at road pace, but I definitely would have been very cautious if I was planning any trackdays with it.

    I found the 150/70 to be rather poor for grip in the wet compared to the 150/60 - but then, as mentioned above - that could have been due to the different rubber compound.

    That said - the Contiforce 160/60 I've got on the back of my KTM at the moment is even worse in the wet than either of the sizes of the Avon were! Will be going back to the Avons as soon as I can keep the bike running long enough to actually wear out a back tyre.

  20. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    19

    Default

    The more I look into this the more it seems people prefer the Distanzias...might have to pry open my wallet and reconsider....

  21. #119
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cabot AR
    Posts
    559

    Default

    The distanzias look like ass, although alot of people digg them for supermoto esp if you hit the dirt.. I'm diggin the grip and the predictability of my contis. I'm running 160-60-17 for a rear and a 120 60 17 for the front and thus far im diggin' them.
    KAAATOOOOOOM

    My business is brapping.. and business is good!

  22. #120
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Get the 150/60/17 size tire for supermoto use on a 4.25x17 spec rim.

    The 150/70/17 size has a taller aspect ratio (sidewall height). This taller size is more commonly found/used on dual-sport touring bikes like the Suzuki V-Strom, BMW R1150GS, etc.

    160/60/17 size tires need a 4.5x17 or a 5.0x17 rim spec. 160's get a little squished on a 4.25x17 wheel.
    Last edited by supertireguy; 06-30-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Motorcycle Tire Services
    http://mototireguy.com
    04 Honda CBR1000RR
    05 Husaberg FS650E (Sold )

  23. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lake County, Ca
    Posts
    135

    Default

    I cant answer specifically but i have an 01 drz400e with warp9's (just put them on 3 days ago) i am using contiforce sm tires and let me tell you they work amazingly well on the road...very confidence ispiring and its a 150/60. I have it on a 4.25 rim.

  24. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Thanks for all the great responses....

    Looks like 150/60-17

    Contiforce or Distanzias?

    I have a second set of wheels for offroad, the Warp 9 wheels would be for around town, twisties, with occasional dirt/gravel road. no plans for track days

  25. #123
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado Spring, Co
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weezil View Post
    The distanzias look like ass, although alot of people digg them for supermoto esp if you hit the dirt.. I'm diggin the grip and the predictability of my contis. I'm running 160-60-17 for a rear and a 120 60 17 for the front and thus far im diggin' them.

    Look like ass!!!??? They are, in fact the epitome of bad-asserry. Honestly dude, if there's any fire roads, dirt roads, logging trails, or the pavemnent is still as horrible in PA as I remember I'd be looking for something with a bit of meat, I love the distanza's, but Pirelli makes a few tires that are great too. I grew up about an hour north of the burgh and would probably just wire a plate on a dirt bike if I was still there.
    Last edited by whyfly; 06-30-2009 at 01:45 PM.

  26. #124
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    54

    Default

    "new to this"... I would say you wouldn't notice any difference. Of the small percentage that can probably claim they know subtle differences, only a small percentage of them actually can.

  27. #125
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Redwood City CA
    Posts
    2,385

    Default

    Get the Conti SM 150 and the SM version is offered only in the 150/60 or 160/60 varieties.

    Joe

  28. #126
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oahu, HI
    Posts
    304

    Default

    I love the conti's. I vote conti's. The higher the side wall the smother the ride but you loose stability in the turns. The smaller the side wall the rougher the ride but you gain stability in the turns. The dirt traction kinda sucks with the conti's but if I wanted to ride dirt id simply mount my dirt rims and tires.
    Pacific Motorsports LLC
    808 354-2936
    Soon to be at www.pacmoto.com

  29. #127
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Bridgestone Battlax 021 = serious performance and high mileage! Pilot Road if you want to spend more.
    http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...180&LookupID=8
    2009 690 SMC: Wings Exhaust, EVO II Kit, Ported Head (by 911 Race Engine), Corbin seat, KTM Hardparts: skid plate, axle & peg sliders, rear bag, fork bleeders, GPS Bag
    2006 625 SMC "sold"
    2004 Husaberg FE/FS 650 "sold"
    2002 DRZ 400 "sold"

  30. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    179

    Default

    i havent run 21s on my drz yet.. just my zx14. I would love to see the type of mileage from them @ 32/34PSI =)

    I weigh 200lbs. I like higher PSI in the streets, lower on the track. I know you all are street retards like me, but i prefer more smoothness and the pennypinch factor of higher pressures.....

    I like 23/25PSI on the track =)
    DRZ-400SM '08 [30k 1 crash!]
    ZX14 '06 [32k BEAST!]

    "The difference between a hoover and a harley is the position of the dirtbag."

  31. #129
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Husyourdaddy View Post
    Bridgestone Battlax 021 = serious performance and high mileage! Pilot Road if you want to spend more.
    http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...180&LookupID=8
    +1 on the BT021s. I am running them on my 690 now and they are fantastic! I've only got about 700 miles on them but they stick to the road like glue. Seem to be wearing ok so far, too early to tell though.

  32. #130
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    32

    Default

    i wanted to get the 21s too but my dealer did not stock them so i had to settle for the 16, will be expecting lower mileage on the 16 but what the hell, i love the grip !

  33. #131
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    369

    Default

    The BT021's look good
    I have distanzias on my DRZ right now but it's time for a new set. What I am looking for is a tire that is just like the Distanzia, but more of a slick. i.e. heats up quick, gets good mileage (5000 miles would be nice), sticks as good as the distanzias or better.
    I do 95% street (I have a dirt wheelset for offroad) and will probably do a couple sportsman races this summer.

    I'm not opposed to getting distanzias again, just willing to trade a little dirt performance for better handling.

    I was thinking the avon viper sports? or maybe supersports (ahh don't make a 150 rear in the softer compound)
    Joe - #41 Black DRZ - Sold
    '08 KTM 690SMC

  34. #132
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Husyourdaddy View Post
    Bridgestone Battlax 021 = serious performance and high mileage! Pilot Road if you want to spend more.
    http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/...180&LookupID=8
    My main issue with the BT-021's and the Michelin Pilot Road, is that the rears only come in 150/70/17, and NOT 150/60/17... I could get either of them for the front, but why bother when a front will go at least 4000 miles no matter what brand or compound it is...

    We need a BT-021 or the like in a 150/60/17.

    Or maybe I just need to get a 5" rear rim...
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

    -miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

  35. #133
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    205

    Default

    I put the distanzia's on my sm610 500 miles ago and now question if I would continue wanting to go on living if someone were to take them away from me. I'm amazed at how they do on the street and then just chew up gravel roads.

    I'm slaughtering the rear - learning how to back into corners, full throttle coming out of every corner, and spinning the hell out of them while shooting rooster tails for miles on gravel roads...they're just starting to break in!

    I'm thinking, even w/ my tire-abusing ways, 3000 on the back is possible

  36. #134
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hartland, WI
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I have Contiforce SM's on my DRZ400sm and I love them!! very grippy and just a great tire.
    Charlie: Well will you settle down and have a another cup of coffee?
    Mac: I am bro.
    Charlie: Alright well fine. You know what Barney give this guy a cigarette he's freakin out

  37. #135
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Västerås, Sweden
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Just for illustration I attached a pic showing the layout of dual compund tyres. This is a Michelin Powerone Competition B, I guess all dual compound tyres has roughly the same amount layout of compounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Husaberg FE450 -08

    Even alcohol can bend the room...

  38. #136
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Just got a new tire a few days ago...a 160/60/17 Dunlop Qualifier...and i must say its excellent...easy to get all the slippery out and the slick in...

    I like to wheelie any time...and tonight was my first ride in the rain, well it wheelied without complaining even when it was cold. I was even able to get it to warm up a bit in the rain which surprised me. It sticks like glue and is fairly inexpensive...

  39. #137
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    89

    Default

    G'day all.

    Just ordered a set of Bridgestone 090's for the SM610. I have been out of SM racing and riding for 8 years and have now jumped back in.

    Currently running Shinko 003 that I dont feel comfortable with - however, playing with the pressures I notice a good balance - front at 25psi and rear and 22psi and they are alot better. They are still very vague and not too crazy about a vague feeling.....

    Anyway, will let you all know after I have tried them

  40. #138
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I used to run i used to run the pilot powers on my smr, then distanzas, then i tried the shinkos for the cheap factor(i was low on $$ at the time)...im never going back, it out performs both these aformetioned tyres when on the limit.

    I run slightly higher pressures due to my weight but 25psi front 28psi rear.

    Just my personal experience....i think the shinkos are worth a mention for a crediable tard tyre!
    Black death - 570smr

  41. #139
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by razbagz View Post
    I used to run i used to run the pilot powers on my smr, then distanzas, then i tried the shinkos for the cheap factor(i was low on $$ at the time)...im never going back, it out performs both these aformetioned tyres when on the limit.

    I run slightly higher pressures due to my weight but 25psi front 28psi rear.

    Just my personal experience....i think the shinkos are worth a mention for a crediable tard tyre!
    Which model Shinko?
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

    -miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

  42. #140
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lammyracer View Post
    Which model Shinko?
    Opps, the stealth 003rr.
    Black death - 570smr

  43. #141
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    142

    Default Your top 3 choices for 90/10 street/track tires

    Got my 17" for my XR650R (not sure how much a differnce the bike makes on tires but) so now i would like to get some advice on street tires, the bike is designed as a street tard but i dont wanna say it wont be on the track. NOW i know that a track tire will be completely different to get the best perfomance but lets call it a 90% street/10% track combo for tires. I have seen alot about CONTINENTAL Conti Force SM Super Motard , and Motostrano suggests them alot, but if you had to take a choice of your top 2 or 3 what would it be for this bike?? also how much does the weight of rider change your suggestions?? say a 150lb rider on a XRR or a 300lb rider on same bike???

    THX

  44. #142
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denn10 View Post
    Got my 17" for my XR650R (not sure how much a differnce the bike makes on tires but) so now i would like to get some advice on street tires, the bike is designed as a street tard but i dont wanna say it wont be on the track. NOW i know that a track tire will be completely different to get the best perfomance but lets call it a 90% street/10% track combo for tires. I have seen alot about CONTINENTAL Conti Force SM Super Motard , and Motostrano suggests them alot, but if you had to take a choice of your top 2 or 3 what would it be for this bike?? also how much does the weight of rider change your suggestions?? say a 150lb rider on a XRR or a 300lb rider on same bike???

    THX
    Rider weight has very little to do with it, it's the big power pulses that wear out the rears. For the front get something good n' sticky like a Bridgestone BT-016 (it'll prob last 4,000 miles) for the rear with 90% street, take your pick of any good road race rubber (you didn't mention what your rear rim width is, it makes a difference), if it's 4.25 or 4.5", then you gotta go 150/60/17 on the rear which limits your choices a lil bit, but if you have a 5" rear you can run a 160/60/17 and use a good dual compound like a Bridgestone BT-021. The BT-016 is stickier, but will prob only last 2,000-3,000 miles. The Harder BT-021 will prob go 5,000. Bt-016 is like Michelin Pilot Power, Pirelli Diablo, Metzler M3 etc. BT-021 is like Michelin Pilot Road 2, Dunlop Roadsmart etc...

    Just be realistic about wear (sucks) and you will be fine.
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

    -miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

  45. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Ran Bridgestone BT016's at the track a few weeks ago and they performed incredibly! Very confidence inspiring and no slipping. For about $200, I will definitely run them on the track again. For the street, I'll stick with the BT021s for a little better mileage.

  46. #144
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    Posts
    150

    Default

    i run a BT016 on the front and a BT021 on the rear of my 625smc and love the set up. I commute about 250 miles a week, just get used to buying rear tires!
    2005 KTM 625 SMC
    2002 YAMAHA 426F (desert ride)
    1984 HONDA 200X ATC (night ride)
    2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew
    1967 VW Bug

  47. #145
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I Use Maxxis GoldSpeeds... I Think They Are By Far My Favourite Tyre!
    DRZ 400 Sumo 07'
    [► Play ▌▌Pause ■ Stop]

  48. #146
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyBrackenbury View Post
    I Use Maxxis GoldSpeeds... I Think They Are By Far My Favourite Tyre!
    i got recomended these from another Euro guy, guess over there they are a very good tire, only thing that sucks is they start at 160 for the rear, and ive got a 4.25 rim so ima stick with 150.

  49. #147
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lammyracer View Post
    Rider weight has very little to do with it, it's the big power pulses that wear out the rears. For the front get something good n' sticky like a Bridgestone BT-016 (it'll prob last 4,000 miles) for the rear with 90% street, take your pick of any good road race rubber (you didn't mention what your rear rim width is, it makes a difference), if it's 4.25 or 4.5", then you gotta go 150/60/17 on the rear which limits your choices a lil bit, but if you have a 5" rear you can run a 160/60/17 and use a good dual compound like a Bridgestone BT-021. The BT-016 is stickier, but will prob only last 2,000-3,000 miles. The Harder BT-021 will prob go 5,000. Bt-016 is like Michelin Pilot Power, Pirelli Diablo, Metzler M3 etc. BT-021 is like Michelin Pilot Road 2, Dunlop Roadsmart etc...

    Just be realistic about wear (sucks) and you will be fine.
    i was never asking about wear, i understand what causes the wear but what i read is that for alot of bikes the streetbike tires dont work that well cause your talking the average sumo bike is maybe 250lbs (ie your MX450s) and with an average rider of say 175lbs your even of the weight of a 600cc streetbike empty (400lbs) so what ive read is that with a difference that can be 150lbs and up that alot of the streetbike racing tires arent recommended for the sumo bikes.

    Im shocked you say the fronts may only get 4k miles, my streetbikes would get more than double that on a front??? what i was getting is that the rears even get 3-4k miles depending on what tire/compound obviously and the fronts are typically longer lasting that rears on big torque bikes??

  50. #148
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denn10 View Post
    i was never asking about wear, i understand what causes the wear but what i read is that for alot of bikes the streetbike tires dont work that well cause your talking the average sumo bike is maybe 250lbs (ie your MX450s) and with an average rider of say 175lbs your even of the weight of a 600cc streetbike empty (400lbs) so what ive read is that with a difference that can be 150lbs and up that alot of the streetbike racing tires arent recommended for the sumo bikes.

    Im shocked you say the fronts may only get 4k miles, my streetbikes would get more than double that on a front??? what i was getting is that the rears even get 3-4k miles depending on what tire/compound obviously and the fronts are typically longer lasting that rears on big torque bikes??

    Oh I see what you are saying. The weight difference is overcome by running lower tire pressures on the SuMo (making the carcass flex more and this putting more heat into the tire) usually about 25 psi rear, 23 psi front. Most "bigger" bikes usually run around 35 psi.

    The reason (for me anyway) that the front doesn't last isn't "rolling wear", it's wear from hard cornering (and trail braking). When my fronts are toast, they resemble a nice "wedge", with plenty of tread left in the center, but worn well past the wear bars on the shoulders. Which is about opposite of the "take off's" from most sport bikes (unless they see the track).
    Last edited by lammyracer; 09-28-2009 at 05:36 PM.
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

    -miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

  51. #149
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    142

    Default

    i would still be more than happy with 3k miles out of a set. i doubt that would be but a year n half for me, i can deal with that no problem. hopefully i can find some at the Chaparral sale this weekend

  52. #150
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    965

    Default

    The longest wear i've gotten out of a rear on the Husky was 3,600 miles out of a Metzler M3. Great tire but costs more than the others in it's "class". I just put on a new BT-016 rear, I like the profile and feels okay, but haven't got to ride it hard yet. We'll see...
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

    -miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

  53.  
    Advertisement
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •