SuperMoto Junkie banner

Tires for your street SM

407K views 764 replies 299 participants last post by  BlackPanther 
#1 ·
#65 ·
i picked up my pilot road 2ct, and i got a 150/70/17 on rear and im not sure how this larger sidewall is going to work out, it doesnt seem to crown as much as i would like over the top...like the 180 sportbike tires do, will it cause any problems? also, if you run a small sidewall, will jumping curbs and such pop ur tubes?

#66 ·
I may be a nerd, but I'm not that into changing sidewall heights... as for jumping shit popping your tire with a 60 profile, I don't believe it's an issue. I jump all kinds a shit and no popping of tires. :thumbup:

#68 ·
The one this that it will deff. change is the over-all "gearing" of your bike, because the 70 profile tire has a slightly larger over-all dia. you may pick up a couple mph on the top end...

#70 ·
The BT-016's are good n' sticky, but like the Michelin Pilot etc. will not last long (maybe 2500 miles on the rear).

You can put a 160 on the rear, but as has been mentioned here several times, the rear rim on you (and my) bike is just 4.25" and a 160 is designed to fit a 5" rim, sooooo what that means is that your rim will "pinch" the sidewalls in closer than they would be on a 5" rim thus, changing the profile of the tire from what it was intended to be to something else. You can do it though... :rolleyes2:

#72 ·
Sorry i am really lazy and don't feel like searching but. i want a STICKY tire for Street/track use. And possibly Just a track tire (if i can convince myself to spend the $ for a 2nd set of wheels) But i am going to get on the track soon and tires are the most important thing on the bike. Seeing that the are the only thing that touches the ground. Please give me some feed back on at least just track tires.

Thanks Guys
-Chris

#75 ·
Well, if you get a 2nd set of wheels, you can get a 5" rear rim and run all that good 160/60/17 rubber. If you are going to get a second set of wheels for the track and want the best tires, get some Michelin "One" tires (160/60/17 rear $241.00+). Or Dunlop slicks (NOT cheap like $299.00 for a rear) http://www.motostrano.com/dusurasl.html , or hell, even the Shinko slicks (160/60/17 rear $114.03) *these also come in 150/60/17*.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_0302-0242

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Shinko_F008R008_Slick_Race_Radial_Rear_Tires--608774.html

Have fun!

#73 ·
thanks for the input lammy, i put tha bto 160 on today at work. i dont think the bto16 comes in a 150(if do i didnt see it) so im guna try it. i only rode it strait home from work about 12 miles...taking it easy for a good 30-40 to get the slick off then we will see how she goes!

#77 ·
I put 4500 miles on the original Duncraps on my DRZ before putting on Perelli MT-60's.

I wanted something that has a little more off road stability and so far I've put about 1k on the MT-60's and think their great. :thumbup:
Good enough stick on the pavement and enough meat that the front doesn't feel like trying to jump out from underneath me in the loose stuff.
But I am not doin' track days either, so that's just me

#79 ·
Conti's

I got a good recommendation from a friend that was very satisfied with contiforce SM's so im going to try them unless someone thinks that there is a better bang for your buck tire.

My question is:

I am running a 120/60-17 on the front currently (that is being replaced)
The place im getting them from only has a 120/70-17.. Which makes me a little skeptical whether I should stick with the same sizes or not...

- What is the difference between the /60 and the /70?

- Will it effect performance or handling enough to tell?

- I am currently running Michelin Pilot Sports (z rated's) and they were pretty sticky but I think they are designed more for streetbikes. I dont see them on sumo's often. Anybody have anything good to say about Conti's now that im thinking of getting them?

And one last question:

- What tire pressure do you guys usually run in your tires for summer street use (twisty riding not commuting)?

If you can answer ANY of those questions let me know because im ready to click the "order" button in this other window for these conti's.

Thanks

#80 ·
I'll help some...

60 series tires are shorter than 70 series tires. It's an aspect ratio, 60% vs. 70% of the tread with (120mm).

60s typically will transmit more of the sharper bumps to the forks/rider whereas the 70s absorb more. The 60s will turn in a little quicker, all other things being equal, like profile, but the 60s also (historically) don't give as much feedback as 70s do.

That's all I got....

Dave

#81 ·
So basically 70's sound like a better choice because they have more shock absorbing qualities and are more responsive? Are we talking a noticeable difference to the eye or is this 60 vs 70 even something that you could see with the eye without measuring? Basically is going from a 60 to a 70 going to change how I ride really? Is there enough difference? Will it look different?

#82 ·
I also have a tire question!

I will be running couple of trackdays this summer, like 7 or so.. My speed is quiet fast, a few seconds after the fastest ones. Currently I have a BT016 at the rear, great tire with excellent grip. But! It is on the "wear-marks" after just 1000 miles..

So now I would like to get a tire that lasts a bit longer, but of course I don't wan't to sacrifice too much grip out there on the track.. Was thinking of Pilot Road 2ct, but after som research i found out that the gets slippery when really hot.. So now I don't know what too choose. Hope some of you guys got anny tips!

#87 ·
Just put on new set of Avon Distanzia's. Have hear a lot of good things with them. Plus they look pretty sharp. I went from 150 to 160 on Husky 610. Looks fat! Will let you know!
Just ordered mine, got a great deal:thumbup:
AM44 Distanzia Rear Tire
, Size - 150/70HR-17
SKU# 43813
Waiting Approval
$167.99
You save
$71.76
$167.99

AM43 Distanzia Dual-Sport Front Tire
, Size - 120/70HR-17
SKU# 43734
Waiting Approval
$117.99
You save
$50.13
$117.99
Sub Total:$285.98
Shipping:$6.99
Free Shipping Offer:(-$6.99
Total:$285.98
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/5301/ITEM/Avon-AM43-Distanzia-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire.aspx

#89 ·
So, I'm looking for new tires. DUh. I have a DRZ400s with 17" march's. A 4.5 rear. I grew up racing motocross and have the ability to push this pig to the best of it's ability. When I converted it to sm I got s/touring tires Metz z6 due to commuting on it. I have regularly outrun many sm's and sport bikes, but braking is downright f'n scarry (even with a 320 front, it's the tires). If I'm not well versed on the road or thinking way ahead when I get on them hard I'll sometimes have to stand er up straight to brake or die. So now I'm starting to just run canyons more than commute and I would like a real sticky set of tires that are cost effective as well as allow me to do some commuting. I don't think I want a duel compound due to having the same unpredictable braking. What size do you recommend and what tire. Then tell me what to do with psi, I have NFC. I'm 210lbs with gear, stock susp set to the Max.

#91 ·
The short answer, (and really all you need) is to pick up a set of ANY SPORT, OR SUPER-SPORT tires. I.e. Bridgestone BT-016, Metzler M3, Michelin Pilot power, Dunlop D208 etc. etc anything you'd put or find stock on a GSXR, R-6 etc. and run them at about 25psi.
You will have great grip, but poor wear (about 4,000 miles on the front, about 2,500 on the rear).

Cheers! :thumbup:

#90 ·
well i have about a hundred miles on the 160 BTO16 that i put on not sure if i like it yet but it being a 160(stock 150), it handles different. not sure how to describe it but i can tell a lil difference, almost like its more squirmy or sumthin..idk and the chain hits its slightly too.

#94 ·
I've tried the MT60's, Metzeler Sportec M3, Dunlop Qualifier on my 640SMC. The MT-60s lasted 800miles, pretty good grip though.
Sportec M3, lasted like 1500-2000 miles rear, Still running M3 front after 4000 miles. Good grip ;)
Qualifier had awsome grip, lasted about the same as the Sportec's.

Currently I mounted a Michelin PowerOne Competition B rear, first impression is that is really quick turning.

All the tyres have had their share of trackdays, both gocart and bigger Superbike size tracks. Pretty impressed by the qualifier that didn't let go with throttle wide open over a crest att pretty heavy lean angle ;)

#106 ·
Hey folks,

I just ordered a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT from American Motorcycle Tire. It's a 160/60/ZR17 for my '07 DR-Z 400 SM. Once I get a chance to try it out I'll write up how I like it.
Tires are so expensive for our SM's and there is a limited amount of info on here relating to Good Vs. Bad about what tires are good for a certain type of riding. Hopefully I'll be able to help somebody else make a good decision like other's have helped me. Have fun riding!!

#108 ·
just ran 160/60 and 120/60 Bto 14s and metzler m1s, size 160/60 and 160/70.

BTO14s were great, awe inspiring tires. heated real fast, good cold grip, great warm grip. Tread lasted suprisingly long. M1s feel taller, faster tilt in. there is no chain rub with m1s like there is on the bto 14s. M1s have equal feedback, and they are so similar in quality. the m1s my favorite because the narrower, taller rear profile makes it more fun. I love tall tipsy sm bikes!

Rock on!

Next up are pirelli diablows.

#109 ·
running ~ 1500miles on my BT-16s, i would say that the grip is much better than the stock dunlops on my Z. the rear doesn't skid on hard braking unlike the dunlops, the BT-16 front is not as sharp profiled as the dunlops though but it's no big issue, the smooth steering and better grip was worth my money.

#110 ·
Has anyone tried a PP2 front and PR2 rear? I'm just shredding back tires on my 625SMC and would like something that will last decently. Right now I'm running BT016s and other than longevity am quite happy with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.