Tires for your street SM - Page 4
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires for your street SM

i kept burning threw tires and was tired of buying the expensive ones, but i solved the problem by working at my local motorcycleshop i get tires for cost + 10% my conto sm tire was 128 bucks with tax...haha
    97klr 250 {sold}
    08 husky sm 610
    08 arrow slip on, air box mod, smog emmision removel kit, renthal bars , zeta turn sig/supermoto handguards.
    01 ke 100[brothers]

Advertisement

Why is it that the Contiforce SM only comes in a 70 front and a 60 rear? I guess they know what they are doing of course but just wondering why two different sidewall ratios?

humm good question, im guessing becuse its the most common size, and or usable and practical size to use on a supermoto bike?
    97klr 250 {sold}
    08 husky sm 610
    08 arrow slip on, air box mod, smog emmision removel kit, renthal bars , zeta turn sig/supermoto handguards.
    01 ke 100[brothers]

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Just put 2 new tires on my ktm 625 they are the Mich Pilot Power, cycle gear put like 50-60 psi in them. Old tires I had on there were around 26-28 psi and they felt real good. Should I put them back down around where they were on my last set of tires???

Thanks!
    I only kill priests on sundays.
    2004 KTM 625 sxc (supermoto setup)
    2001 YZ 125 (Sold)
    2001 YZ 250 (Dirt setup)
    2006 CRF450R (Dirt setup)

Quote Originally Posted by Priestkiller View Post
    Just put 2 new tires on my ktm 625 they are the Mich Pilot Power, cycle gear put like 50-60 psi in them. Old tires I had on there were around 26-28 psi and they felt real good. Should I put them back down around where they were on my last set of tires???

Thanks!
    YES!!! 26-28 psi is where you want them , they always "pump them up" because most street bikes (GSXR's etc.) run higher pressures, but I will tell you what, 50-60 psi is TOO HIGH even for them!!!
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz

-miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

Default figured

I figured as much. I decided monday to try them out. Forgot they had them so full of air and i did a simple turn at about 5-7 mph and the back tire was sliding all over the place, ended up laying her down and bending the foot shift lever. I thought to myself I know its not my skill affecting this turning. Then I remembered and was like damn going to get that shit fixed asap.
    I only kill priests on sundays.
    2004 KTM 625 sxc (supermoto setup)
    2001 YZ 125 (Sold)
    2001 YZ 250 (Dirt setup)
    2006 CRF450R (Dirt setup)

Quote Originally Posted by lammyracer View Post
    YES!!! 26-28 psi is where you want them , they always "pump them up" because most street bikes (GSXR's etc.) run higher pressures, but I will tell you what, 50-60 psi is TOO HIGH even for them!!!
    That and they usually pump them up to 50-70psi to get the bead to set, maybe the set the bead and forgot to let air out

Quote Originally Posted by randomzg View Post
    That and they usually pump them up to 50-70psi to get the bead to set, maybe the set the bead and forgot to let air out
    That only really applies with tubeless wheels though - you don't need anything like that kind of pressure to set the bead with a tube in the tyre....

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by DHawk2 View Post
    Why is it that the Contiforce SM only comes in a 70 front and a 60 rear? I guess they know what they are doing of course but just wondering why two different sidewall ratios?
    That's the size my sumo came stock. 120/70R-17 front and 150/60R-17 rear.
    '08 SM610ie
    '06 CRF450X
    '04 R1150RT
    '89 FXST
    Screw it - Let's Ride!

just picked up my 2000 KTM LC4 SuMo and am in need of a new set of tires. i've decided on BT-016s because that's what i've run on my ZX-6R recently and loved them and couldn't beat the price.

i've got a question though. why are you guys only getting 2500miles out of a rear? i got 5000miles out of the rear on my 636 and that thing weighs 100lbs more than a tard and produces roughly the same torque but 60 more horsepower.
    2000 KTM LC4 Supermoto

Quote Originally Posted by goingtoscotland View Post
    just picked up my 2000 KTM LC4 SuMo and am in need of a new set of tires. i've decided on BT-016s because that's what i've run on my ZX-6R recently and loved them and couldn't beat the price.

i've got a question though. why are you guys only getting 2500miles out of a rear? i got 5000miles out of the rear on my 636 and that thing weighs 100lbs more than a tard and produces roughly the same torque but 60 more horsepower.
    stereotypical SM answer > ....Because going fast in a straight line doesn't wear out the tyres as much

slightly more sensible answer > Big power single cylinder engines seem to chew up tyres - presumably because the forces on the tyre are in fewer, but harsher, bursts. Good for traction because the rubber gets longer to regain grip between each firing stroke, but harder on the tyre as it's constantly going through cycles of hard acceleration and coasting compared to the smoother, more linear power of a 4 cyl bike.

Also, lots of converted crossers / enduros run on unmodified suspension which probably isn't ideal for looking after tyres either.

And riding off road on SM tyres usually means lots of wheelspin, which obviously isn't too good for tyre life either. Good fun though, so it's worth it.

power delivery on a single cylinder sm is brutal on tires...an i4 is very gentle on tires. Plus, we like to back it in, do more wheelies, and you're always wide open throttle!

Anyone had any problems with the dual compound BT016 while sliding? I'm lovin the price, but not so sure about the dual compound.

the 016s are actually triple compound in the back. dual up front.

i may be from florida, but i do like to turn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 KTM LC4 Supermoto

Not to be a dixk but that is a horrible pic to use to brag about turning on a sport bike.

But I am currently running 002RS on my track bike and fixing to put BT016 on the DRZ I think Bridgestone makes a quality tire all around

Quote Originally Posted by tamucc2004 View Post
    Not to be a dixk but that is a horrible pic to use to brag about turning on a sport bike.

But I am currently running 002RS on my track bike and fixing to put BT016 on the DRZ I think Bridgestone makes a quality tire all around
    in the mountains without a 1 piece i didn't feel like pushing it.
    2000 KTM LC4 Supermoto

Items for Sale

I've been very happy with the Continental Contiforce SM tires. I put a set on my bike for a Supermoto USA class at Infineon Raceway and they handled very well. I just put a set on my new SM 610 and they are head and shoulders above what came on there stock. Read what Motostrano says about them below.

http://www.motostrano.com/cocosmsurati.html
    Last edited by High-Side; 11-09-2009 at 07:48 AM.
    '08 SM610ie
    '06 CRF450X
    '04 R1150RT
    '89 FXST
    Screw it - Let's Ride!

Michelin Pilot Road 2 2ct are great tires.
    I've had a set on my 660smc all summer and most part of autumn, on track days, street riding and even on gravel roads and they haven't let me down
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by redhotz28 View Post
    Anyone had any problems with the dual compound BT016 while sliding? I'm lovin the price, but not so sure about the dual compound.
    They are my favorite tires on the Husky so far.

-miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

Do you slide the bike on pavement? I am thinking about the contis too, but have heard they wear quite a bit faster. I'm ok with not having the stickiest tires out there- I rode a DR-Z with dual sport distanzias at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by redhotz28 View Post
    Do you slide the bike on pavement? I am thinking about the contis too, but have heard they wear quite a bit faster. I'm ok with not having the stickiest tires out there- I rode a DR-Z with dual sport distanzias at the track.
    You can break it loose if you WANT to, but other than that, they will not "surprise" you. They stick great.

IMHO the longest lasting best wearing and still be sticky street tire you will put on a SUMO is the Metzler M3, that said, I am not a fan of the profile... and they cost quite a bit more than a BT-016 or Conti.

-miKe
    '08 Husky SM610

+1 I only have about 600 miles on them(BT016) but they seem to work well and don't wear down the middle as fast as a single compound tire does.
    2007 RXV550SM/2007 KTM 690SM
    NO REMORSE / NO REGRET Previous Supermotos: 2008 SM510R

Interesting. I had the M3 on my 929 and they weren't as sticky as the michelin PP. Did look like they should last a while though... figure I'll go with the 016. Great price, good way to try a multi-compound tire. I wore the edges of the current tires a lot faster than the middle, but if I get back (*praying*) to the intended purpose of the bike, commuting, the middle will wear a lot more.

Items for Sale

Default Street rain tires

Does anyone make a street rain tire. One that can be ridden dry as well. I know if you ride a race rsin on dry pavement it gets chewed all to hell. I would assume the rsin tire also has a little more grip on golf courses.... I mean grass fields.
    2006 husqvarna 530rr. AKA "dirtyfivethirty" or "freight train " Formerly known as Alohar1

www.FastBikeIndustries.com www.ksrwheels.comwww.balidogrefuge.com

I'd just find a good set of knobbies if your going to do that, lot better chance of getting away.
    The DR-Z is like a fat ballerina, sure it's kinda heavy, but it's suprisingly graceful.

Items for Sale

I'm looking at the pirelli mt60 but they only make a 160 rear. I have a 4.25 rear which I know the contiforce 160 is perfect on the 4.25 because the conti has a flat profile and that rounds it out. But I'm not sure about the pirelli. Has anyone ridden these tires?
    2006 husqvarna 530rr. AKA "dirtyfivethirty" or "freight train " Formerly known as Alohar1

your fine all the husky guys do it!!

im running a shinko 160 on my 4.25, wr450f with no problem, but not any good on grass lol

Items for Sale

anyone got a pic of mt60's 160 on a 4.25 please?

Not what your looking for but you could run these...

Shinko 244's They do real well in grass fields, so I'm sure they'd do just fine on a golf course, I mean...

ok so im on a husky 610sm and winter is coming up and im going to have to buy new tires soon. these are the ones im lookin at. what do you guys think? im going to be going off road some but mostly onroad.

http://www.motostrano.com/pimt60duspti.html

http://www.motostrano.com/avonsupermoto.html

they will get a lot of use during the winter and i want something with some ncie tread but not so much that they make onroad stuff a pain
    2005 Drz 400-SOLD!!!
    2007 Husqvarna 610sm

i had MT60s on the KTM when i bought it and they were absolute shit, in my opinion. very little grip. the rear was on it's way out and i'm not sure how old it was, but i wasn't impressed

BTW after 700 miles or so with the BT-016s i love them. just as good on the sumo as they were on the ZX-6R
    2000 KTM LC4 Supermoto

Good to know- I have a rear Bridgestone on it's way.

Im sold on pirelli for grip, but I ran a pair of conti's that lasted me forever, and I too was toying with the idea of running a shinko, but just on the rear cuz then i could burn the shit out of it and they r cheap to replace compared to a 250dollar pirelli diablo corsa. And id probably get all grand master clash and run a pirelli on the front.
    Its not the speed that kills its the sudden stops!

I am using the Dunlop GT501 tyres here in Okinawa Japan since my options were limited to what was in stock when I ate a nail, these work great in the mountains on my 2005 Honda XR250R Motard. Not the greatest and overpriced compared to a Pilot Power or 2CT tyre
    2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro
    2006 Ducati S4R Monster 1/100

goldspeed have just released a new Wet Front. go to http://www.aaa-racing.com/home.php to have a look. i may get one when i get a bit more cash. this type of tyre is meant to work well over here in the UK (where its normally colder)

Hey has anybody tried or still using a pirelli scorpion???
    My buddy is looking at running those on a klx. He does way more street then dirt and wants something thathll last, but still be ok in the dirt.
    Its not the speed that kills its the sudden stops!

I'm LOVIN the BT016 so far. Been to the track with it when it was 40 degrees- stuck very well, and it always lets you know when its on the edge. Also went yesterday when there was water/some ice still on the track. It did very well in the wet, and again it let you know before it was too late.

Just installed a Goldspeed/Presa 160 today on the DRZ. then I even rode! Still lots of snow and ice tho, with all the roads otherwise white with salt/sand.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" -Johnny Cash

"Its a long way to the top..if you wanna rock & roll" -AC/DC

650 streetard and is shoe'd with Avon Distanza's. Thinking about making the switch to the Conti's soon as the stanza's are about finished.

Great sales pitch for the conti's on motostrano but i have one question that someone may be able to answer.

I live in Seattle and as you likely have heard, it rains here ..... a lot, and I commute on the bike. I have a great deal of confidence in the stanza's but am unsure if the conti's will grip in the wet as well.

anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by used2Bfast View Post
    Just installed a Goldspeed/Presa 160 today on the DRZ. then I even rode! Still lots of snow and ice tho, with all the roads otherwise white with salt/sand.

How wide is the rim?

It looks like the tire fits very well!
    Xr650r-Sm and Husqvarna Wr 125 in the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by alohar1 View Post
    Does anyone make a street rain tire. One that can be ridden dry as well. I know if you ride a race rsin on dry pavement it gets chewed all to hell. I would assume the rsin tire also has a little more grip on golf courses.... I mean grass fields.
    I use Pirelli MT60's but I am offroad lots. They hook up great in the rain on the pavement. I ride pavement in the rain when ever I can... Deserted backcountry mountain roads no one for miles, just me and the bike.

PM me if you know of another dualsport sumo tire that does good offroad and on pavement in the rain.
    Central California Dualsport Enthusiast
    Please don't feed the trolls
    http://www.facebook.com/montibank

I run conti sport attacks, but I have only run them in 30 degree weather. I'll let you know what they're like when the weather warms up. I'm sure they will grip a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by loy View Post
    How wide is the rim?

It looks like the tire fits very well!
    4.5".

Quote Originally Posted by used2Bfast View Post
    4.5".
    where did you get the gold speeds?
    08 Ktm 690 smc
    1975 honda cb550
    1978 Honda z50
    1985 honda z50 (108 stroker)

Quote Originally Posted by terrafirma10 View Post
    where did you get the gold speeds?
    From that guy on Ebay about a month ago. $48-52. I loaded up on them.

what are the cheapest trail/street tire you can put on a drz400sm? i was looking at these E705

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=63

but would a 120/90/17 work in the front? i know the avon distanzia are the best but their kinda pricy

Quote Originally Posted by BRaVO503 View Post
    what are the cheapest trail/street tire you can put on a drz400sm? i was looking at these E705

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=63

but would a 120/90/17 work in the front? i know the avon distanzia are the best but their kinda pricy
    The 120/90-17 will work on the front, but it gives the front end a very heavy feel, and doesn't exactly inspire confidence on the tarmac. I have the 705's on my Husky right now and will be swapping out the front for a Distanzia in the proper size before spring.

thanks bocephous thats exactly what I wanted to know. it's probably a good idea to have a distanzia in front and 705 in the back since the back wears faster and 705's are pretty cheep. they look similar too.

Advertisement
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast