"What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!!
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!!

Default "What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!!

bdmmotard moderator edit, merge and pic:
    You may have noticed, oh a couple "what makes the best street tard?" threads. soooooo, I decided to merge all the good street tard threads into one uber thread. Newbies, this thread's for you.

but to answer the question, the best street tard is a 98 wr400! (typed before blowing up said wr )

Original post(s):
    I'm looking to purchase a street tard for a 5 mile commute to work each day and for having fun on the weekends. My commute includes a stretch of 50 mph+ twisties and surface roads with lots of frost heaves and potholes. I want something reasonably light and nimble as I'm used to riding a 240 pound 150cc Vespa but I'd also like the bike to be capable of handling short trips on the highway. I don't want a bike that requires weekly oil changes or a strict maintenance schedule.

Right now I'm looking at two street legal supermoto conversions that are for sale on ebay.

2001 Honda xr650r:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

2001 KTM 520 MXC:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

I'm looking for advice on whether these will meet my needs, whether one is a better purchase than the other, or whether I'd be better off looking at something else entirely.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Josh

Advertisement

Personally I like them both! From what I have heard, the KTM's need more maintenance than the Jap bikes, but nothing to difficult. Go with the one you get the cheapest, you really cant go wrong with either one!
    M&M racing
    www.mmracing.biz
    A Mini Road Racing Specialty Company

Mini and Supermoto roadracing
    http://www.semra.org/

Make yourself valuable, or you become expendible

as far as matnince the 650 honda will defently be less, but its about 60-80 lbs heavyer then the 520. both bikes would be alot of fun. my only expericance with ktms in that size is a smr 525, and we do oil changes ever 2 races, so if the 520 shouldent be as bad as that, but it will be more often then the 650 ?. the 650 mostlikly going to be more stable on highway drones, and better on fuel. *should carry more too* i think they have about the same horsepower. the 520 is gona be more of a race type street bike id think *my non expert appinion* but not in as high state of tune as a 525. but the 650 is going to be more of a street bike, bombproof. you can put money in to eather to get good imporvements. so do what you want both should suit you well. the price of the ktm is defently less but i just get alittle worried when he mentiond the snow tire, racing bikes in the snow tear the hell outa them. so if u have a chance to inspect the bike at all *not likly becouse its on ebay but just some thing to think about. and it also sounds like the guy has alot of work done to the 650, sounds like a pritty sweet ride* Personaly i wouldent by a bike over ebay, becouse i really like to hear how a bike sounds and give it a very close inspection before i put any cash towards it.

You said you were looking for a lighter bike, then that would defently be the ktm, but im just alittle suspect, i think it might have had some abuse as far as riding or atleast its defently been used, it may not be perfect. just as long as you know that but the price is pritty good.
    03' Crf 450 Motard
    99' YZ 426f Dirt
    04' Fiddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Plan to race? Buy the Katoom. Track days and street? Honda.

Default thanks

Thanks for all the good advice. Given that I don't plan to race I'm going to put in a bid on the Honda.

Thanks again,

Josh

Good choice!!!
    M&M racing
    www.mmracing.biz
    A Mini Road Racing Specialty Company

Mini and Supermoto roadracing
    http://www.semra.org/

Make yourself valuable, or you become expendible

Man..that XR650R is one heckuva deal.....he probably has $4,000 more in it than he is asking. Get the R....and laugh your a$$ off everyday riding it...

Quote Originally Posted by bdmmotard
    race = ktm, crf

street = honda, wr, mz, or drz

both = husky

my .02
    Concur

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar13
    Concur
    He's close he forgot Husaaaberg
    Brian # 30

KTM 450 SMR

"Everyday is a good day" Just some days are better than others

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    He's close he forgot Husaaaberg
    Yeah for sure! Don't forget the Husaberg. But much of Husaberg's 4 stroke technology will be found in KTMs. So I have heard. Maybe you can verify?

Talking

For the street, KTM 625, MZ Baghira, Honda XR, the big Husky or Berg.

Any will be fun! Are ya keeping the Vespa?

husaberg is tough. which category does a big fast as crap street legal tard with unproven reliabilty go? i'm thinking the "both" category, though maybe just the race category.

then there's the race if you're rich category for the vertimati's and vor610's, nox's and such.

LC4 640, 3000 mile oil changes. Great for commuting. 16,000 miles and still going strong.
    2000 KTM LC4 640 17" rims (sold)

2006 KTM 950 ADV w/ 17" rims.

www.cjdesignsllc.com

Default Street tard for hwy use?

Hello, I new here and looking at trading my sport bike for a street tard but I live out in the country and its 35 miles each way to anywhere. what bike or is a street tard a good idea for this use? btw I'm 6'1" and 235LBS if that matters

Sounds like you're gonna want a big bore tard like an XR650.

wait for the 950sm.........a v-twin won;t mind the 35 miles of droning so much

prolly an XR or DR would suit your needs too

xr650 get the dirt version and modify it cause its lighter than the street

XR650R will kill you on the droning slab, XR650L will be okay..KTM "Tard, if you can afford it would be great....35 miles on a Motard is farther than you think if you aren't moving aroound on it a lot......

KTM SMC 625 or 950SM
    MZ 660
    XR650R
    07 Yamaha WR250F/ 07 KTM 144/ 07 BMW 650 X Chall/ 05 XT225/ 79 XT500

Help/ Support a legend (Doug Henry) http://www.road2recovery.com

Much as I LOVE my old dual sport and the new 'tard if you live 35 miles from anywhere then I say the 'tard is not for you in any way shape or form.

To find out for yourself take what you ride now and put a 6 inch wide by 1 foot long piece of hard foam on the saddle down the middle. Ride that for an hour or more and then get back to us. I suspect you'll have seen the light.

Sorry guys, I just find the narrow dirt bike saddles are made for active fun. But to actually SIT on them? You MUST be kidding......

I ride an 05 crf 450 motard everyday 50 miles round trip if i went straight to and from work. I usually go play on the way home. I have had no problems or anything with mine. the crf is a blast but it is pretty expensive to get it legal.

Quote Originally Posted by justin441
    I ride an 05 crf 450 motard everyday 50 miles round trip if i went straight to and from work. I usually go play on the way home. I have had no problems or anything with mine. the crf is a blast but it is pretty expensive to get it legal.
    I'm 6'1" 250 lbs and my DRZ400SM carries me to and from work 35 miles each way on everything from twisty backroads to a 25 mile stint on I93 in Boston bound rush hour traffic. There are times when I'd like a little more headroom in the motor department but it cruises comfortably at 75-80 mph and will even cruise at 90 mph if I want to put up with the windblast. There's no reason why a 400+ cc tard can't do what you want it to.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when ever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you: digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Out here in the Bay Area of California, the speed limit is 90MPH+, that's not the legal speed limit, but that's what everybody drives.

I have to say that I did love my SV650 better than my current XR for highway action. If people in your area drive conservatively, then you should be okay with a big bore. I cruise the slow traffic lane for any type of long distance travel. I don't perfer my motard for that, though.

35 miles! Come on guys, it's a motor with wheels. I know people that peddle farther and they are over 50. 35 miles is NOTHING. An hour in the saddle. OUCH! You don't need a 950 for that!

Quote Originally Posted by svsick50
    Out here in the Bay Area of California, the speed limit is 90MPH+, that's not the legal speed limit, but that's what everybody drives.

I have to say that I did love my SV650 better than my current XR for highway action. If people in your area drive conservatively, then you should be okay with a big bore. I cruise the slow traffic lane for any type of long distance travel. I don't perfer my motard for that, though.
    Well, I'm not sure what you're saying here but in the New England area (more specifically, greater Boston and the suburbs) people drive like wheeled assasins. I've seen worse though, people her may drive agressively but the larger part of the populace at least has their wits about them. In Jersey and Connecticut people are just fucking brain dead at the wheel. I prefer the maneuverability of the smaller, lighter machine for traffic riding. My last bike was a CBR954RR and as great a bike as it was, all that power was useless most of the time.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when ever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you: digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I must have a tough backside because 35 miles on my KTM 525 SMR is a piece of cake. The weekend before last, I did 400 miles on a spirited Saturday street ride. It turns out that 400 miles is about the limit of my backside...

cyclewacko

Quote Originally Posted by The Wreck
    Well, I'm not sure what you're saying here but in the New England area (more specifically, greater Boston and the suburbs) people drive like wheeled assasins. I've seen worse though, people her may drive agressively but the larger part of the populace at least has their wits about them. In Jersey and Connecticut people are just fucking brain dead at the wheel. I prefer the maneuverability of the smaller, lighter machine for traffic riding. My last bike was a CBR954RR and as great a bike as it was, all that power was useless most of the time.

I agree man noone in new england can drive for their life!

you want to see retard drivers, head to Vegas, you get the shit drivers from everywhere. i have a 97dr650 and it does highway very well. i'll be gearing up shortly and then it will be an effortless highway machine.

Quote Originally Posted by brianwheelies
    you want to see retard drivers, head to Vegas, you get the shit drivers from everywhere. i have a 97dr650 and it does highway very well. i'll be gearing up shortly and then it will be an effortless highway machine.
    I hear that! I spend a couple weeks a year in the Orlando area, same kina problem.

I go 60 miles round trip on the MZ, very comfy. I did cut a step in the seat, that helped a bunch. 35 miles is no problem. if you can't go 35 miles on your tard, then trade it in on a harley
    MZ Baggy Street terror
    2001 RM125
    74 RD350
    64 Honda dream

It sounds like you hold up pretty well, but how about the Katoom. Maintenace?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclewacko
    I must have a tough backside because 35 miles on my KTM 525 SMR is a piece of cake. The weekend before last, I did 400 miles on a spirited Saturday street ride. It turns out that 400 miles is about the limit of my backside...

cyclewacko

Man I was riding my DR650 71 miles oneway (142 round trip) a day for a year.
    All year long. From 28f to 102f. 80 & 90mph most of the way. Lived way out in the country so it was great. Fire up the DR go check the cows and then ride it to work. That's dual purpose. I got no complaints with the DR. Dependable as hell. Easy to maintain. And the thing just handles great. I'm waiting on the 950sm also. But I'll keep the DR for my cow pony.
    1998 DR650se 49300 miles since 2001
    2002 Bandit-6 84300 miles till 130mph total.
    Aerostitch 1pc and Arai RX7 is the correct answer here. No flesh wounds.
    1989 YSR50 Cowabunga
    1986 GSXR750 may she RIP
    1974 Z1 900 Yeah baby.
    DUCATI HYPERMOTO...pure motosex..
    www.saveourstreamliner.com

Talking

KTM 640/625 sm or MZ 660 Baghira!

The ride is what you make of it. Keep on the throttle and passing cagers and you won't notice the 35 miles !

Default price

I think we need a price range to work with. For $4000 or less you can probably find an xr650 or Dr, or you can go $6000-$8000 for fancy stuff.
    I'm a little cheap so I like the XR

Default Looking for a street tard! | California

Hey guys, Im new to supermoto, Looking for a good bike to ride, Something small would be nice, If any of you guys come by any thing, Let me know? Thanks..

one more thing, How diffrent is a super moto compared to a dirt bike? (Rideing experience.. ) ?

Thanks!

-patch

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=6943

This is perfect for a first street tard !!!!
    Brian # 30

KTM 450 SMR

"Everyday is a good day" Just some days are better than others

Looks nice, and a great price, But is a little big for me i imagin, How're the DRZ400's?

Or YZF400's <-- what i always wanted :-p

-patch

Have you tried Craigslist? I see a lot of supermotos on there. check it everyday, the good deals go fast. They always come along, you just have to keep an eye out.
    http://www.craigslist.org/mcy/
    • '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
      '07 CRF150R Expert #888 SMUSA
      '06 CRF100F
    • '03 XR100R #888 SMUSA

yes i've checked every day, besides yesterday and! http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/93306100.html i know nothing about vertmati or how ever you'd spell that, Good bike? fair price? And Carb adjusted? ? ?

if you guys can help me out, Thanks in advance.

-patch

I have one for sale.
    It is a 2001 LC4 640 with 23XX miles on it. Has brand new 17" rims with m1's, chain and sprockets. There are only 200+ miles on them. It also has a Big Gun exhaust and 18L fuel tank. If you want to take a look at it is at Bike World in Sunnyvale. There is a picture of it on their website.
    Forgot I also have a 320MM rotor and the caliper relocator bracket (they are not installed yet) to.

Quote Originally Posted by |BamBoo|
    yes i've checked every day, besides yesterday and! http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/93306100.html i know nothing about vertmati or how ever you'd spell that, Good bike? fair price? And Carb adjusted? ? ?

if you guys can help me out, Thanks in advance.

-patch
    oooohhh...that looks like a good one

2011 Husqvarna 630 SMS
    1999 Suzuki SV650

Nice bike 01lc4, But price tag is a little high for me..

Rocko, Do you know any thing about the VOR's? Are they nice bikes? Easy to fix?

also what does he mean by Carb adjustment needed..??

Thanks

-patch

Nice bike 01lc4, But price tag is a little high for me..

Rocko, Do you know any thing about the VOR's? Are they nice bikes? Easy to fix?

also what does he mean by Carb adjustment needed..??

Thanks

-patch
    VOR's break down a lot.

Really? So is it not a good idea for a beginer?

Really? So is it not a good idea for a beginer?
    not good for a OG rider as well. but if you enjoy wrenching more than riding its a good bike..

Some of the 02 530 E Start VORs had bad crank bearings. Didn't seem to be a problem with the 03 bikes. Otherwise, VORs are good bikes with engines that make good power. They are high maintenance though and VOR is out of business at the moment.

sounds like they're not so great...sounds like they come with good components though. not too many bikes come with ohlins in stock form.

2011 Husqvarna 630 SMS
    1999 Suzuki SV650

I hear that Vertamattis are pretty much a race bike. Not really ideal for a street-tard just because of maintenance and reliability. I bet that the parts are not cheap and as readily available as other makes. Keep checking!
    You could always convert a plated bike if you can't find one already done.
    • '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
      '07 CRF150R Expert #888 SMUSA
      '06 CRF100F
    • '03 XR100R #888 SMUSA

convert a plated bike Like a dual sport to sm i assume? I'm a little low on money , so that'd be a little hard at the moment, but ill keep checking, and ill let you know what I find

-patch

Advertisement
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast