"What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!! - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: "What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdmmotard View Post
    I get asked the what bike should I get question a lot, so I whipped this out based on readily available bikes in the us.

People should be forced to read this with a test after before they can join this forum.
    Looking for excuses... TO RIDE !!!
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    2012 KTM 500EXC , 2008 Aprilia SXV 550 , 1972 Suzuki GT750

Advertisement

You need another arrow under the street side where you have "power or reliability" with "both" and Honda XR650R!

Quote Originally Posted by bdmmotard View Post
    I get asked the what bike should I get question a lot, so I whipped this out based on readily available bikes in the us.

Quote Originally Posted by travisza View Post
    I've LOVED this!

It lead me straight to what I want and it proves I'm making the right decision. Now if I could just find a 690 SMC-R in the country!!!!!!!
    awesome! Glad I could help.

I know there's bikes missing (tm, vertemati, brp, sxv on street side). I just kinda whipped it out and it took a life of it's own

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Default Ktm 525

Love my 525
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ktmripper; 06-23-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
    You need another arrow under the street side where you have "power or reliability" with "both" and Honda XR650R!
    Looking to get back into a supermoto. I have to admit, this flowchart is what I was looking for.

I'm not getting another DRZ400SM and suspected I should look into a Husky. Yep. This flowchart really should be mandatory to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Micahdogg View Post
    Looking to get back into a supermoto. I have to admit, this flowchart is what I was looking for.

I'm not getting another DRZ400SM and suspected I should look into a Husky. Yep. This flowchart really should be mandatory to read.
    Happy to help! That chart has saved me soooo much time. I get daily emails asking for sm advice, and I just paste em the link.

The one question that I really have is top speed. Is there a supermoto that can actually cruise at a minimum interstate speed? I didn't like cruising over about 55-60 tops on the DRZ. I'm just looking for something with a little more ompf on the top end to get it into that highway cruising territory without completely giving up the soul of a dirtbike. From my limited searching, seems like some flavor of KTM 690 might be better.

A properly geared wr450 will cruise 70 at a comfortable RPM. Actually lower RPMs then my 625 at 70.

Are the WR's 5 speeds? Is there a more desired year range? And how much lower are you talking on the sprocket?

Are the WR's 5 speeds? Is there a more desired year range? And how much lower are you talking on the sprocket?
    They're 5 speed and the gearing between the different generations are relatively similar. 15/40 gearing works best for highway commuting and still allows for great usable low end power.

The one question that I really have is top speed. Is there a supermoto that can actually cruise at a minimum interstate speed? I didn't like cruising over about 55-60 tops on the DRZ. I'm just looking for something with a little more ompf on the top end to get it into that highway cruising territory without completely giving up the soul of a dirtbike. From my limited searching, seems like some flavor of KTM 690 might be better.
    I rode for two hours at 75mph on my wr250x, stock gearing. This is with speedo correction as well. On flat land there's still enough to hit 85 or so for passing. I'm 6'1" and 175 for reference.
    2008 wr250x

Riding Game: 5 points

Anything can be made to cruise happily on the freeway, it's all in the gearing. Some bikes may end up with a very tall 1st gear though! My XR650R has topped 110 on the big track with 15/45 gearing and I can still do single track with it. (Rekluse!)

Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    They're 5 speed and the gearing between the different generations are relatively similar. 15/40 gearing works best for highway commuting and still allows for great usable low end power.
    Is this gearing with 17"s? I would assume so a this is the supermoto sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jentzschman View Post
    Is this gearing with 17"s? I would assume so a this is the supermoto sight.
    Really honestly it works with 17's as well as 21/18. 17's will have a bit higher RPM due to the wheel size...but oh so worth it!

Really honestly it works with 17's as well as 21/18. 17's will have a bit higher RPM due to the wheel size...but oh so worth it!
    Is there a target RPM to stay at or below for street use( light to moderate highway use) for best overall engine life? If so , what would the general concensese be?

Quote Originally Posted by jentzschman View Post
    Is there a target RPM to stay at or below for street use( light to moderate highway use) for best overall engine life? If so , what would the general concensese be?
    I'd say ideally under 5k RPM, but a little more isn't gonna hurt.

I'd say ideally under 5k RPM, but a little more isn't gonna hurt.
    Great, thanks. According to http://www.gearingcommander.com with a 15/40 on stock 18" I could do 75 at ~5775 RPM's, 85 at ~6600 RPM's

So a little background on the rider, 25 years street experience in california bay area.
    6'2 200

Dilemma: my neighbor has taken to inviting me on his weekly rides, since my current ride is an old connie, he loaned me his modded DR, claimed 50 at the wheel, fat 17's, big 200 + mile tank. We slab at 80mph or better from san jose to the sierras, take one of the passes, drop into the desert and visit bodie and slab back home for a 550 mile day.

But that's not his regular loaner bike, which would be his stock motor xrl, street tread on factory rims, still fun, but not in the same league. Just got back from another similar trip and milage.

Obviously the DR owned it all over the XRL in handling and power delivery.

I also have a second gen Klr, with susp mods, super clean but needing engine work (oil burner finally gave in after 30,000 miles), typical maintenance issues addressed (doo,rad bypass) but other than moab shock, emulators and new springs, bone stock, but a bike that I can generate lean angle on, just run out of power before anything else.

His DR is not for sale, he feels he can't recoup what he has in it.

What do I do?

Is there something from a factory that comes stock with the modded DR level power and GRUNT (but more) and handling and all day comfort which will do the kinds of rides we do so I don't have to build a clone of my neighbors?

Also, I will want to be able to use as a commuter obviously, so reliability is also a factor

Some of the options I am considering are the aprillia duo 750, ktm 690 smc or enduro w/ second set of sumo wheels, 990 SM. Maybe even a Hyper

I guess the flow chart says I want the 690.
    Last edited by Human Ills; 08-03-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Why do you not like the DRZ above 60? I had mine on the Taconic state parkway the other day for about 15 minutes doing anywhere from 55-70 and I think it does 70 in 5th gear just fine. It's not going to hurt the bike or engine to do this.
    14 DRZ400SM: FMF Powerbomb & PC4, 3X3, JD jet kit, quick turn throttle, Cycra handguards w/ triple clamp mounts, Edge tail light, TT case savers, R&G muffler slider, MSR Raptor Pro clutch perch w/short lever, DRC Motard footpegs, white spoke skins, black forks, Pilot Power tires

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Brown View Post
    Why do you not like the DRZ above 60? I had mine on the Taconic state parkway the other day for about 15 minutes doing anywhere from 55-70 and I think it does 70 in 5th gear just fine. It's not going to hurt the bike or engine to do this.
    yeah gearing is the key. I actually geared mine 16/39 and would commute at 80mph. Hell at one point I think I even stuffed a 17 up there.

Anyone running a KTM 300 (2 stroke) on the street?

Looking for a new dirt bike I can run a snow-bike kit on, and the KTM 300 seems like one of the best choices.

It would be even better if I could put a plate on and screw around on the street/go trail to trail, and maybe put a sumo setup on for track days.

Seems like a do-it-all bike according to reviews Ive read.
    2004 WR450 SM. SOLD :(
    xr400
    HD fxdx

Advertisement
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314