SuperMoto Junkie banner

"What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!!

284K views 671 replies 315 participants last post by  maverick9611 
#1 ·
bdmmotard moderator edit, merge and pic:
You may have noticed, oh a couple "what makes the best street tard?" threads. soooooo, I decided to merge all the good street tard threads into one uber thread. Newbies, this thread's for you.

but to answer the question, the best street tard is a 98 wr400! (typed before blowing up said wr :D)

Original post(s):
I'm looking to purchase a street tard for a 5 mile commute to work each day and for having fun on the weekends. My commute includes a stretch of 50 mph+ twisties and surface roads with lots of frost heaves and potholes. I want something reasonably light and nimble as I'm used to riding a 240 pound 150cc Vespa but I'd also like the bike to be capable of handling short trips on the highway. I don't want a bike that requires weekly oil changes or a strict maintenance schedule.

Right now I'm looking at two street legal supermoto conversions that are for sale on ebay.

2001 Honda xr650r:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=50012&item=4560374165&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

2001 KTM 520 MXC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ory=6711&item=4561184622&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'm looking for advice on whether these will meet my needs, whether one is a better purchase than the other, or whether I'd be better off looking at something else entirely.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Josh

See less See more
#3 ·
as far as matnince the 650 honda will defently be less, but its about 60-80 lbs heavyer then the 520. both bikes would be alot of fun. my only expericance with ktms in that size is a smr 525, and we do oil changes ever 2 races, so if the 520 shouldent be as bad as that, but it will be more often then the 650 ?. the 650 mostlikly going to be more stable on highway drones, and better on fuel. *should carry more too* i think they have about the same horsepower. the 520 is gona be more of a race type street bike id think *my non expert appinion* but not in as high state of tune as a 525. but the 650 is going to be more of a street bike, bombproof. you can put money in to eather to get good imporvements. so do what you want :) both should suit you well. the price of the ktm is defently less but i just get alittle worried when he mentiond the snow tire, racing bikes in the snow tear the hell outa them. so if u have a chance to inspect the bike at all *not likly becouse its on ebay but just some thing to think about. and it also sounds like the guy has alot of work done to the 650, sounds like a pritty sweet ride* Personaly i wouldent by a bike over ebay, becouse i really like to hear how a bike sounds and give it a very close inspection before i put any cash towards it.

You said you were looking for a lighter bike, then that would defently be the ktm, but im just alittle suspect, i think it might have had some abuse as far as riding or atleast its defently been used, it may not be perfect. just as long as you know that :) but the price is pritty good.

#13 ·
husaberg is tough. which category does a big fast as crap street legal tard with unproven reliabilty go? i'm thinking the "both" category, though maybe just the race category.

then there's the race if you're rich category for the vertimati's and vor610's, nox's and such.

#15 ·
Street tard for hwy use?

Hello, I new here and looking at trading my sport bike for a street tard but I live out in the country and its 35 miles each way to anywhere. what bike or is a street tard a good idea for this use? btw I'm 6'1" and 235LBS if that matters

#21 ·
Much as I LOVE my old dual sport and the new 'tard if you live 35 miles from anywhere then I say the 'tard is not for you in any way shape or form.

To find out for yourself take what you ride now and put a 6 inch wide by 1 foot long piece of hard foam on the saddle down the middle. Ride that for an hour or more and then get back to us. I suspect you'll have seen the light.

Sorry guys, I just find the narrow dirt bike saddles are made for active fun. But to actually SIT on them? You MUST be kidding......

#23 ·
justin441 said:
I ride an 05 crf 450 motard everyday 50 miles round trip if i went straight to and from work. I usually go play on the way home. I have had no problems or anything with mine. the crf is a blast but it is pretty expensive to get it legal.
I'm 6'1" 250 lbs and my DRZ400SM carries me to and from work 35 miles each way on everything from twisty backroads to a 25 mile stint on I93 in Boston bound rush hour traffic. There are times when I'd like a little more headroom in the motor department but it cruises comfortably at 75-80 mph and will even cruise at 90 mph if I want to put up with the windblast. There's no reason why a 400+ cc tard can't do what you want it to.

#24 ·
Out here in the Bay Area of California, the speed limit is 90MPH+, that's not the legal speed limit, but that's what everybody drives.

I have to say that I did love my SV650 better than my current XR for highway action. If people in your area drive conservatively, then you should be okay with a big bore. I cruise the slow traffic lane for any type of long distance travel. I don't perfer my motard for that, though.

#26 ·
svsick50 said:
Out here in the Bay Area of California, the speed limit is 90MPH+, that's not the legal speed limit, but that's what everybody drives.

I have to say that I did love my SV650 better than my current XR for highway action. If people in your area drive conservatively, then you should be okay with a big bore. I cruise the slow traffic lane for any type of long distance travel. I don't perfer my motard for that, though.
Well, I'm not sure what you're saying here but in the New England area (more specifically, greater Boston and the suburbs) people drive like wheeled assasins. I've seen worse though, people her may drive agressively but the larger part of the populace at least has their wits about them. In Jersey and Connecticut people are just fucking brain dead at the wheel. I prefer the maneuverability of the smaller, lighter machine for traffic riding. My last bike was a CBR954RR and as great a bike as it was, all that power was useless most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.