"What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!!

given your criteria, i'd definitly get a husky450/510. great competitive track bikes that come with sm suspension, wheels, e-start, brakes, and a plate! i can't think of a better track/occasional street bike.

Advertisement

Default Thanks

Thanks fellow tarders. Your input is appreciated. I have a few specific bikes I can start seeking out. Pickins are probably a bit thin on easetern side of the country though.

Thanks much!
    Mid Life Racing
    WERA Nv #169

Commitment Turns Talk Into Action, and Mediocrity Into Excellence

Quote Originally Posted by scott lauria
    get the drz400sm, nothing handles like the dr
    you mean poorly?

take the engine out, and go flying down a hill and it would prolly handle like a crf, yzf, husky, ktm, etc

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

yeah the dr handles amazing in the street at street speeds
    its a dream,soft,low and slo
    http://www.myspace.com/northeastsupermoto
    ESMRA #455
    86'xr600r, 94 yzf 750,klx300R,(sold)raced
    03'crf450r S.M-04'crf450rS.M-03'crf175fS.M.
    06'honda cbr 1000rr-05. husaberg fs650c

Quote Originally Posted by ride67
    yeah the dr handles amazing in the street at street speeds
    its a dream,soft,low and slo
    and i am a patient of dr. z my hemmoroids(?) never felt better,he is a hands on type of doctor
    http://www.myspace.com/northeastsupermoto
    ESMRA #455
    86'xr600r, 94 yzf 750,klx300R,(sold)raced
    03'crf450r S.M-04'crf450rS.M-03'crf175fS.M.
    06'honda cbr 1000rr-05. husaberg fs650c

Default Can I ride to work on a supermoto?

Hi guys,

I'm looking into buying a supermoto to travel to work, preferably a WR450. I have a couple of questions...
    1 - As I will not be riding the bike off-road, and will be using it 100% of the time on the road, setup as a motard, what kind of distances can I get out of the bike before doing an oil change? eg. Doing an oil change every 300k's will mean once a week for me.
    2 - Will the WR450 handle a freeway/city trip? I'll be riding for about 15mins on the freeway at speeds of about 100km/h with short bursts up to 120 (overtakes, etc) the rest of the trip will be about 25mins of city/traffic type riding.

To give a bit of background, I used to ride mx'ers as a kid.. I went off bikes for a while and I currently ride a R6 to work. My most recent mx style bike was a YZ250, however I only got to ride it a few times (no trailer). The constant threat of fairing damage to the R6 due to tight city parking really annoys me, so I'm looking at a supermotard due to the fun factor and the ease of parking/low cost of replacement parts.

Any help would be great.

What's the daily distance?
    Do You have secure parking?

i ride semi daily 50mi.

three words of advice: gearing gearing gearing. with road race gearing and a big tank, ie 16/39, you can ride the piss out of that wr450 and commute with little issues.

the wr450 is a great bike. if you want less maintenance go with a drz400. those things just don't die.

Thanks for the replies..
    I'm open to suggestions on bikes, I just have a preference for yammy's because of the YZ250 and the R6. If you feel that something else would be better suited for freeway use, then please let me know.
    I was trying to stay away from the big 600's as the torque might be too strong on a rainy day in the city traffic, however some people have told me that a XR650 is a little tamer to ride.
    I will be travelling about 29km's (18miles) each way, so that is a 60km (36mile) round trip. The trip takes 34mins so the average speed is probably about 60km/h or 38mph.

So far the bikes I've been looking at are:
    KTM640 LC4SM (servicing and cost of parts worries me, plus possibly too much torque for the city)
    WR450 (might get too stretched out on the freeway)
    DRZ400 (same as WR450)
    XR650 (don't look as trick as the Wr's, but it might be the bike to get... do they have electric start versions?)

Freeway riding is not much fun on a motard..very light and get blown around...buzzy too..a motard is meant for fun, not particularly pactical...my guess is you would have to change oil every 5 to 10 days, 250 to 500 miles...probably closer to 500 miles if you use synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by bdmmotard
    i ride semi daily 50mi.

three words of advice: gearing gearing gearing. with road race gearing and a big tank, ie 16/39, you can ride the piss out of that wr450 and commute with little issues.

the wr450 is a great bike. if you want less maintenance go with a drz400. those things just don't die.
    i have a 05 drz 400 sm and commute 140 km round trip every day with no problems. i swapped my gearing to 16 38 and installed heated grips and wear a heated vest. my bikes got just over 18000 km so far and runs without a hitch. ask any crf or wr owner inf they would even think about doin that kind of milage

Quote Originally Posted by mwrunt
    i have a 05 drz 400 sm and commute 140 km round trip every day with no problems. i swapped my gearing to 16 38 and installed heated grips and wear a heated vest. my bikes got just over 18000 km so far and runs without a hitch. ask any crf or wr owner inf they would even think about doin that kind of milage
    mwrunt, is the DRZ still a wheelie monster with that gearing? How often do you have to do an oil change?

Quote Originally Posted by khelton
    Freeway riding is not much fun on a motard..very light and get blown around...buzzy too..a motard is meant for fun, not particularly pactical...my guess is you would have to change oil every 5 to 10 days, 250 to 500 miles...probably closer to 500 miles if you use synthetic
    while the drz isn't the most comfortable to ride for long distances, i find i get blown around less than any sportbike i've ever had. ??? maybe 'cuz there's no fairing to catch all those sidewinds? even though it's light, much lighter than the cbr, i just don't get blown around much at all...
    '05drz400sm
    somewhat modified
    '04crf250r
    smusa#846

What about the Husky 450SMR, vs the DRZ400SM, the Husky has more power and seem like it's the better of the 2, but I see more info saying the Husky is more of just a Race bike.

I can get a new 450SMR 05 shipped to my door for less than a DRZ at the local dealer. Would I be an idiot if I got a Husky and used it just for street riding? I might take it on some short highway trips (few miles across the city) but wouldn't ride it a couple hundred miles to the beach.

I thought I was going to get an XR for a streetmoto but the one I was looking at doesn't look the deal is going through (seller isn't communicating well) and finding a converted XR isn't easy. If the Husky would be a PITA as a street 'tard I might looking into converting a DR650 or XR650L, but the Husky looks awesome and I can't find a reason NOT to get it over the DRZ400SM. The 05 has beefed up valves, more hp, looks 10x better. Can anyone give me a reason that I shouldn't get the Husky over the Suzook???

Talking

The 450 Husky will require more maintance but the pay off is worth the time if you are willing to keep up on it.

If you are looking at the dr/xr 650 check the big Husky as it is more street friendly than the 450!

if it was between the following bikes, which would you choose?
    - DRZ400E/KLX400
    - WR450F
    - KTM LC4 640SM

The bike will be used for a daily commute to work which is a 36 mile round trip. I'm looking for something that is good for wheelies/city hooning, but it must be easy to maintain.

The KTM looks great as it is an "off the shelf" motard and I won't be needing to spend the extra cash on excel rim, front disk, etc. But the servicing and repairs will obviously be quite more expensive.

Any help would be great.

Imo, the KTM is an easy winner here. More relaxed than the others for the commute and just as capable for anything else. This assumes that you have access to a decent dealer- not that there's really difficult routine maintenance, but that's a comfort factor.

Walter

Quote Originally Posted by brianwheelies
    you want to see retard drivers, head to Vegas, you get the shit drivers from everywhere. i have a 97dr650 and it does highway very well. i'll be gearing up shortly and then it will be an effortless highway machine.
    Get the 16t c/s sprocket. It gears it up nicely and allows 10 min swaps between 14t-16t sprockets for dirt or street.

Quote Originally Posted by wpbarlow
    Imo, the KTM is an easy winner here. More relaxed than the others for the commute and just as capable for anything else. This assumes that you have access to a decent dealer- not that there's really difficult routine maintenance, but that's a comfort factor.

Walter
    That's the problem I'm having at the moment. The KTM looks like a great option, problem is that there aren't many dealers about and out of interest I called one of the dealers to gets some parts pricing.. here are the results:
    WR450F - Engine rebuild kit (piston, etc) $370
    KTM640 LC4 - $590

That's a $250 price difference just for a rebuild... I'm wondering what would happen if I binned it.. price of KTM parts Vs. Suzuki parts.

With the DRz... If I was to change the gearing, would it be ok for the highways, whilst still being able to pull power wheelies?

ok, I think I know which one I'm gonna get.. and it's none of the above.

I know it's not a true 'tard, but the Yamaha XT660X looks like it will fit my needs perfectly, ie. Good for wheelies, easy servicing, and highway rideable. Plus I can get one for about $9-9.5k. If I was to buy a DRZ/WRF, etc I would be up for about $7k + motard bits, so it would probably work out to be about the same price anyway.
    I won't be doing any off-road riding, or motard comps, so the XT660X looks like a great street hoon bike

If anyone has ridden one and has an opinion, please share.

I've ridden the xt660x, the one i rode had megacycle cans on it, love that, shame that i cant afford the price tag otherwise i'd be still riding it. It's a winner in my book. It's still up for grabs to.
    http://www.angelfire.com/dc/dangermouse/motorbikes.html

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse1100
    I've ridden the xt660x, the one i rode had megacycle cans on it, love that, shame that i cant afford the price tag otherwise i'd be still riding it. It's a winner in my book. It's still up for grabs to.
    http://www.angelfire.com/dc/dangermouse/motorbikes.html
    excellent, I'm guessing the bike you are referring to is a little too far from me (Sydney, Australia)
    Luckily I've found a few good examples around here with very low mileage, for about the same price as the KTM640 LC4.

Default here is my question

i have been serching for a while for a good street legal motard. cannot test ride any and dont know of anybody who owns one. i have been riding 426 and 450 yamahas for quite some time. i am looking for something that i can stunt on. ktm 625 looks good but claiming 330lbs, price is in my area too,around 8,000.00. Is it easy to stunt,(wheelies,stoppies) a bike that heavy or should i stick with something light like a street legal wr450. i am 6'3 and weigh 260lbs. i really need a powerfull bike like i am used to riding, i dont know if new drz sm is under powered for my weight, any advice will help,thanks

If you can stunt, you can stunt. As long as it has a clutch it's stuntable and even so if it doesn't. My DRZsm is fine for me.
    06 drz400sm

Quote Originally Posted by rasta
    i have been serching for a while for a good street legal motard. cannot test ride any and dont know of anybody who owns one. i have been riding 426 and 450 yamahas for quite some time. i am looking for something that i can stunt on. ktm 625 looks good but claiming 330lbs, price is in my area too,around 8,000.00. Is it easy to stunt,(wheelies,stoppies) a bike that heavy or should i stick with something light like a street legal wr450. i am 6'3 and weigh 260lbs. i really need a powerfull bike like i am used to riding, i dont know if new drz sm is under powered for my weight, any advice will help,thanks
    you've been merged!

Default Am I retarded or can I go tarded?

Is it possible to run a SM as your daily mode of transportation and if so which setup would work well? I dont own a car, havent owned one for a couple of years and dont plan to own one till I am done with school. And since I live in jawjuh where we dont have winter bikes are a blast... I always wanted to go tarded but am kinda iffy about the maintenance issues I need something that I can replace the oil, lube the chain and gas n go ... so am I retarded or can I go tarded?

Neil, you know mine's a daily rider...and now a track beyotch too, it is possible. I've got 5,300 miles on the DRZ now and lovin it. I can ride to work Tuesday (30 miles each way), do a 275 mile day in the mts Wednesday, take the lights off Thursday and go to the track on Sunday. Get sum wheels on that DR and let's go riding!!
    '93 XR650L
    CBR F3 front, 900RR rear by Kubiak
    Wiseco 10.5:1 piston, Stage 1 Hotcam, PD8AF carb, UNI pod filter, FMF PC4, battery relocation, 600R numberplates, Trailtech Vapor, Acerbis Cyclops, and a few other goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by gregman_1
    Neil, you know mine's a daily rider...and now a track beyotch too, it is possible. I've got 5,300 miles on the DRZ now and lovin it. I can ride to work Tuesday (30 miles each way), do a 275 mile day in the mts Wednesday, take the lights off Thursday and go to the track on Sunday. Get sum wheels on that DR and let's go riding!!
    Could not have said it better myself.
    M&M racing
    www.mmracing.biz
    A Mini Road Racing Specialty Company

Mini and Supermoto roadracing
    http://www.semra.org/

Make yourself valuable, or you become expendible

Quote Originally Posted by gregman_1
    well from the way things are goin the DR will be gone, but who knows I might have a brain fart and be able to pull some cash outta my ass and get them GS500 wheels ...lol However, as of now I am hoping (praying) to be able to pick up another bike (need something more reliable then the good old GS) once it gets cold and the prices come down ... got a real small budget to work with and I was hopin to get a SV but fugg it I am just dying here w/out a tard so if I can get something reliable then I am goin for it ... basically wanted to make sure that I can be able to change the oil every 3000 miles rather then having to change it every week and also not be bothered with rebuilding anything on the engine and not having to adjust the valves all the time ... this time I want to get a bike that already has the street rims and tires on it ...

Talking

Check out the MZ Baghira! Detroit Eurocycles has a couple of Factory demos for sale right now with fresh service and they still have a 2 year warranty!

Default Want to get a Street Tard

Okay, Im looking to get my motorcycle license by the spring, and Ive read about starting on bike with 600cc's or less. Now, I've considered the usual bikes (Kawasaki EX250/500, Suzuki GS500F, Buell Blast) and I just dont like them be it for looks (or lack thereof) or for lack of aftermarket.

Ive always liked the look of motards and decided to go this route and build a street tard. I most likely buy used, that can be had for $6000 CAD (5200 USD) or less from year 2000 or newer.

I would like a reliable machine, but I am not afraid to work on it if need be. I would only use the bike for commuting in Toronto and the 'burbs, but no highway usage.

If anyone has any suggestions about any bikes that will work for me, please share. The bike I have been looking at is the Suzuki DR-Z400SM ( a bit pricey new). Comes road ready with lights and all that. Would I find the bike lacking power when I park my 220 lbs on it? Does it have any aftermarket? Reliable? Any similar bikes availabe in Canada?

Im sorry for sounding redundant, but Im new to this, so go easy :P Thanks

j-s Guest

I'm 210lbs and owne a drzsm and yes at the first I found it underpowered but I use to ride bikes with over 100 HP so that can explain it. Now that I have the full pipe, jet kit, air filter and 3x3 mod it will weellie in first even when I'm sitting on the tank where before I had to sit back.

It's a really fun bike and the big + is low maintenance.

Thanks, and sorry I missed that sticky.

Im looking to get a DRZ400SM in a short while, and im wondering the build quality on them? Good, bad, or just decent?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SprNtrl
    Im looking to get a DRZ400SM in a short while, and im wondering the build quality on them? Good, bad, or just decent?
    They are as good as any Japanese bike as far as quality. The owners don't seem to have many issues with actual build quality, just lots of stuff they like to upgrade !

I know there is a huge thread on this, but I would say that a DRZSM would be a perfect bike for a new rider. Enough power to have a ton of fun, but not too much. You should be able to find a used one in your price range.

Good Luck
    2001 DRZ 400e motard
    2005 SDG Speed Mini
    2001 KX65 motard
    1985 Z50R

Question ktm 525 exc vs. honda xr650r

I'm in the market for a new bike, currently own an 03 drz 400s which I will be giving to my wife and I can't make up my mind between the ktm 525exc and the honda xr650r. I plan on riding street, trail, and supemoto which bike do you think would be best for all three types of riding?

I wouldn’t give up the Ktoom. Some say it requires too much maintenance, but what you get in return is a street legal race bike. Tons of fun & power, and it's very easy to put on the street. You can buy factory harness & controls cheaper than a Baja Design kit.

Welcome to SMJ
    A LITTLE TOO MUCH ..... IS JUST ENOUGH

Huh? These bikes are worlds apart. They have almost nothing in common. If you really want some help you are going to need to give people a little more to work with.

Street? both will need to be converted, fairly easy to do. Rack up a ton of miles? Go with the Honda. The KTM needs more maintainence

Trail??? tight woods? mountains? desert? I would pick the KTM in all situations unless I was riding Baja @100 MPH all the time.

SM? Easy The KTM

I think the better question is KTM 450EXC vs KTM525EXC

I went through the same dilemma and ended up with the XR.

Both are good, but i spend a lot more time on the road than the dirt and didn't want to have to rebuild the motor at 40 or 50 hours use (ended up rebuilding it with an HRC kit anyway, so there goes that arguement). I've since found out that KTM's are a lot more durable than others would have you think and they're probably just as good as the XRs.

Power to weight after a basic mods (exhaust, jetting, air box etc) are probably the same, so you need to choose between heavier with more power/torque (XR) or lighter with less power/torque (KTM).

KTM definately has better suspension though.

My decision was made due to having a spare set of motard wheels from a wrecked XR400 that would bolt onto the 650R. If they're the same price and you like to push the limits (and know how to ride), get the KTM, it's a higher performance bike. If you're not Jeff Ward and don't like tinkering in the garage get the XR, the extra torque is a lot of fun and it's pretty hard to break one. . . believe me, i've tried.

People get so confused about rebuilding four strokes. They might be racing bikes but you dont need to replace the piston often at all if ever. I know plenty of A and B class racers who put one to two years on a piston and it will show litle to no where. The only minor problem is with valves but it is minor. Trust me I have been around for strokes for a while and do all my own maintanance they arent as big and scary inside as youd think. And as far as valves go even xrs need them adjusted every now and then. So the only extar maintance with the katoom is a few extra oil changes. go for the katoom or a husky both offer big powerful bikes already in super moto trim.
    Husky 450 smr 05
    Honda crf450 04 (for the dirt) Sold
    Yamaha yz 450 06

The good thing about adjusting XR valves is that you can do it with 2 spanners from the outside of the rocker cover in about 10 minutes, But i agree with you, the maintenance requirements on a KTM are nowhere as near as bad as some people will have you think if you're just riding on the road.

j-s Guest

Did you look at the Husabergs?

Quote Originally Posted by j-s
    Did you look at the Husabergs?
    have not looked at the bergs which model would be a good one to check out and be comparable to what I'm looking at

Merged yet another best street tard thread. Please use the search feature. Thank you.
    M&M racing
    www.mmracing.biz
    A Mini Road Racing Specialty Company

Mini and Supermoto roadracing
    http://www.semra.org/

Make yourself valuable, or you become expendible

Talking

For the street the Husaberg 650!

Advertisement
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast