"What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "What Makes the Best Street Tard" SUPERTHREAD!!!

Here's my perspective, KTM and Huskies are GREAT bikes, make a lot of power too BUT; they are Very Expensive (New) and they don't have as great of a Dealer Network. Me I'd love a 'berg but Price and Dealer support is a drawback.
    Performance wise the Euros will smoke the Jap bikes, but the only Real Street Tards Are the KTM 625SMC and the Husky SM610. The KTM vibrates like a mofo which I find very annoying. Haven't ridden the husky or a 'berg but I hear they're awesome. There's a 450SMR and 510 by husky that are "Street legal" but require more upkeep as they're really race bikes.

I bought the Honda XRL and it might not be as razor sharp as the DRZ, but it's a good bike, smooth motor(for a thumper), motor is bulletproof, has plenty of torque, and I can take it on pretty long rides, maintenance intervals are just like any other street bike and parts availability isn't a problem. I bought mine with the 'motard wheels already on the bike which probably saved me ~$1,000 over converting it myself. I still dumped a bit of $$$$ into the bike getting it where I wanted it though. If it's going to be your only bike IMO it's the perfect compromise.

Advertisement

Get a KTM 625SMC. Period. There is no reliability drawback over anything else, it's fast and fun. It works like a DRZ400 or XR650R with $2k or $3k in mods thrown at it, and a low mile, like new 04 or 05 is not any more expensive than a new DRZ.
    2004 KTM 625 SMC - again

Quote Originally Posted by bmxr
    Get a KTM 625SMC. Period. There is no reliability drawback over anything else, it's fast and fun. It works like a DRZ400 or XR650R with $2k or $3k in mods thrown at it, and a low mile, like new 04 or 05 is not any more expensive than a new DRZ.

I agree. Probably best bet. The Husky 610 is great, but usually, Husky just doesn't have the dealership network that KTM has. Depending on where you live this could be an issue. But for what you get the Husky is a terrific value.

Husky's 510/450 smr are street legal, but I don't consider them streetable...ie. commuting, long trips, traffic, etc. because there is no radiator fan. But you can have that added and problem is pretty much solved.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Get a KTM 625SMC. Period.
    -WR250X(R)
    -300 XC-W

Ok, went to the local Suzuki/KTM dealership today. Sat on a 625SMC, VERY nice bike. They also have a used (approx 1000 miles) DRZ400SM there. I will be test driving both of them tomorrow.

The DRZ is about $3,000 less than the KTM, which is a big amount, and a big push for the DRZ in my mind.

My friend test drove the same DRZ400SM a couple of days ago, and said he really liked it. He is about 280lbs, and said he didnt feel too big for it, so that makes me happy.

How well does the DRZ respond to power mods like piping and jetting? Will it ever be "powerful", or will I be wishing I had gone bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattydiah
    How well does the DRZ respond to power mods like piping and jetting? Will it ever be "powerful", or will I be wishing I had gone bigger?
    I have a DRZ SM and I have a 525 KTM. The DRZ responds well to mods. I jetted mine with the FMF jet kit and put a SS Yosh system on. It runs well and I was pleased with the results. Then I did a track day with it and the orange bikes were walking by me like you wouldn't believe. I was out there passing the guys on the sport bikes in the turns but the KTM's were kicking my ass.

NO! it will never be powerful....
    I had a buddy who had a 450 KTM and he was about to convert it for motard and I took it for a ride. That was all I needed I went 2 days later and bought my 525. It is twice the bike the DRZ is, and its like 60lbs lighter.

If you can swallow the $3,000 go for the 625. The DRZ is a good starter but it will never be what the KTM already is. It would take $3,000 invested into the DRZ to try to bring it to the KTM level and then it would be stressed and unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai-Jim
    ..... It would take $3,000 invested into the DRZ to try to bring it to the KTM level and then it would be stressed and unreliable.
    And that is the thing. The DRZ gets it's reliability from the lower power output. Yes you can mod it up to come close to the other bikes but then it'll be just as prone to grenading.

Truly though, for the street you don't ride at race power levels for more than a few seconds here and there. The rest is cruising if you know what's good for your body and your license. Under street use any of the so called race bikes will still easily last for a good 30,000 miles, or maybe even more, before any serious rebuilding is required.

Up here the Husky was the way to go for me as the price was WAY cheaper than the KTM and only a little more than the DRZ. I test rode a DRZ and while it was nice I didn't find that it was a huge upgrade over my old 91 DR350. However the Husky just warped my mind from the first time I pulled on the throttle. It was like being on the super duper ride at the Ex. I thought I was going to die and then I started to get comfy with it. Then I wanted one, then I decided I'd sell my left testicle if needed to get one. This epiphany all occured over about 15 minutes of riding the Husky. THAT is how good these Euro bikes are.
    B for Bruce

I'm a born again two wheeler. 7 bicycles, 4 operational motorcycles and two basket cases in need of love.

I don't think that's entirely accurate - the drz engine is quite a bit more solid (and correspondingly heavier) than the more focussed machinery is, which leads to greater longetivity. Longer skirt piston design etc all add to the picture as well. But certainly there are limits - my gearbox went on mine recently, but then again a mate had 5th gear on his husky exit the crankcases as well
    Check out the Supermoto scene in Australia at http://www.supermotoaus.com!

Dude, do urself a favour and buy a ktm, ul only be frustrated later on if you buy anything else. those bull shit about maintenace and crap like that is old skool. competition nowadays have made bikes light years ahead in reliability. I myself have an XR and adore it but when i get the $$ there gona be an orange monster sitting next to it

I test drove the DRZ. Not enough power. I want something with torque. KTM's are out of the question because of their price.

I am thinking about an XR650L, and converting it myself. If I can get one cheap, it would be fun to convert it.

I am thinking about an XR650L, and converting it myself. If I can get one cheap, it would be fun to convert it.
    Well, here's a story for you.
    My buddy that has the 450 EXC also has a 650L all converted. So we both have 2 motards each....
    I would ride my DRZ and he would ride his 650L when we would go out and we both did a track day on them. I was able to pull him on the straightaway at NHIS with my DRZ. I've put many miles on both bikes and just because it says 650 on don't get the idea its more bike. They are very equal.

In the end we both now ride our KTM's instead of the others...
    Jim
    06 KTM 525EXC (Motard)
    07 Suzuki GSXR 1K (Black/Orange)
    07 Suzuki Hayabusa (All Black...)

I like my XR600R, but I gotta sell it soon to pay for school (again) . They're great reliable bike's and if you get a 600R it's lighter than the 650L and the if I'm not mistaken it's also lighter than the XR650R.

WOOW! thats a clean looking XR you got there!!!
    you've got my dream bike bro and im really jealous!

Well, here's a story for you.
    just because it says 650 on don't get the idea its more bike. They are very equal.
    Torque, its the torque that I'm looking for.

Faster than the 650L too...

There is no way that converting an XRL will save you money over buying a nice clean used DRZ. No way... Go DRZ if those are your only options. Keep in mind you will get a lot more maoney back if you spring for a KTM, too. I did...twice! I got such a good deal on my second SMC that I didn't lose ANY money(other than the cost of some very minor mods...not even a muffler).
    2004 KTM 625 SMC - again

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider
    Then I wanted one, then I decided I'd sell my left testicle if needed to get one. This epiphany all occured over about 15 minutes of riding the Husky. THAT is how good these Euro bikes are.
    There you have...say no more! That is pure dedication and a good indicator of how good those bikes can be.

I felt the difference in riding both KTM and Husky's v. my DRZ. I'd say almost immediately wanted to spring for the KTM (dealer network motivated). Unfortunately, my wallet noticed the difference even more

And obviously, I am too much of a wimp to give up my left testicle

Torque, its the torque that I'm looking for.
    I understand and I'm telling you there really is no difference in the 2 bikes. That particular 650 is an ancient design that is well outdated and its right on track with a more modern 400.

Now if you truley wanted more torque you'd actually be looking at something different than those 2 bikes...
    Jim
    06 KTM 525EXC (Motard)

Now if you truley wanted more torque you'd actually be looking at something different than those 2 bikes...
    Like a Husky or KTM, which are more expensive. I cant afford a new KTM or Husky, which puts me in the 1999-200ish years, when reliability wasnt as good as the new ones. Hell, I cant even afford a new XRL, I'd be buying a used one.

Don't be afraid of buying a used SM, there are plenty of babied SM's out there of all brands, but, liisten to BMXR and others. First , do not build a 650L, that was my first SM conversion, glad I did it, got me into a great sport but you will end up putting more money into it than you would ever dream and still have a heavy, old technology, air cooled dirt bike w/ sloppy suspension and very low HP. They are dependable . Similar for for the DRZ, neat looking little package but people tire of them pretty quickly. But...get the DRZ before you convert a 650L, there are hundreds of good used ones out there for sale cheap. Best bike will still be the used KTM..

Default heres another XR you XR lover you!

Quote Originally Posted by themanoy
    WOOW! thats a clean looking XR you got there!!!
    you've got my dream bike bro and im really jealous!
    I have my dream bike, well almost! Here it is a few months ago, done some stuff since.
    I claim to be afraid of Horses, this is only to get out of attending parades. Odd but the horses get it.
    2001 Honda XR400R plated and ready for little wheels and tyres!
    1985 BMW E28 Dinan 535i, 2004 Focus SVT

Ok guys, I get that the Huskies and KTM's make more power. I get that they come with better suspension and brakes. I get it. Lets move on.

Part of this is that I want to build the bike myself.

Now, can someone answer my initiall question finally? Which would make the best SM, power and aftermarket support-wise, an XRL, a DR, or a KLR??

Well, if you're on a budget and insist on one of those three then it's only down to the XR and the DR. The KLR is just way too big and heavy by comparison.

A big part of the motard experience is how light and flicable the bike feels so that's why I'd suggest you stroke off the KLR from the list right off the bat. The KLR is a great bike for what it is but a motard, or even motard in the raw, it ain't.

From there I'd start comparing bike sizes, weights, cost of wheels and brakes, etc to try to figure out which would end up being the best choice. I know there's a company called Kientech that serves up some nice upgrade stuff for the old DR. I'd also suggest getting serious with putting either bike on a diet and strip off a lot of the crud.

I'd also suggest you severley restrict the desire to try to bring the performance level of either engine up to too high a standard. For starters it'll push the budget up far higher than just buying a Euro bike and second if you DID get that much power out of the old air cooled engines then they would melt down after much abuse at all. Settle for a little more punch and a fine tuned carb for the best ridability and leave it alone. From there play with the plastics and brakes and keep it simple and cheap.

Done with a good eye and judgement you can turn either an XR or DR into a nice "80%" solution and have a ball building and riding it. You'll only see the other 20% you missed either on the straights against the fancy stuff or maybe in the turns against the fancy RIDERS on the fancy bikes. But then you can smile at the 50% it cost you to buy a used bike and build it up.

Good luck and keep us posted on the project. Just watch out for creeping costs. Often they can really get you when you're not looking. In many ways finding an XR or DR that has already been given the treatment and then just play with new plastics and maybe headlight is a far cheaper way to do it.
    B for Bruce

I'm a born again two wheeler. 7 bicycles, 4 operational motorcycles and two basket cases in need of love.

Ok guys, I get that the Huskies and KTM's make more power. I get that they come with better suspension and brakes. I get it. Lets move on.

Now, can someone answer my initiall question finally? Which would make the best SM, power and aftermarket support-wise, an XRL, a DR, or a KLR??
    Well, when the answer from people that have the experience is unanimous like that, it should tell you something.

Nevertheless, if what you REALLY want is to spend a lot of money building one of those three outdated bikes, then get the XR-L. The other two have zero aftermarket support for supermoto stuff. Plus it's a Honda There are also a lot more people who ride XR-L than the others in SM trim, so there are more people who can offer you advice along the way, whether the help you need is supermoto specific or just general.

You could also consider converting a DRZ...probably a better choice, especially concerning aftermarket support, but another one that's not on your list...
    2004 KTM 625 SMC - again

Thats a very close minded attitude. The 3 you mention are by far not the best motards. I get that your on a budget, I get that you only seem to be considering those 3. But a DRZ SM is done, it makes the same power, its less money than buying a used XRL and converting it, and you can resell it without it being some bastard child that no one will want...
    Jim
    06 KTM 525EXC (Motard)

The XRL is the only choice (of the ones you list) that has any "real" aftermarket. Things like pistons, cams, body work, wheels..... The others have some but not nearly as much as the L.

Attached is my bike. It is a 2004 XRL that I bought new. I have dumped a ton on money at this bike. The bike is fast and is nearly a match for a uncorked XR650R. In my state it is not easy to register offroad bikes for the street. I didn't want to send $5500 just to find out I can't ride the bike on the road so I got the L. All in all, I would do it again. I like working on bike as much as riding them. My latest project is a 5.5 rear rim with a 170 tire.

There IS aftermarket support for the DR. It's just more limited than the Honda. But I'd suggest that it's up to the level of mods that makes financial sense to invest into the big DR.

I have to agree with the DRZ SM suggestion. IT's done and it's ready to play. Uncork it lightly for a few $ and call it a done deal. The liquid cooled engines generally run a higher compression ratio than the old air cooled mills. And torque can come from two things, displacement and compression ratio. Mod the DRZ lightly for a modest power boost and it would still be quite reliable if the work is done correctly and the right mods chosen. It still would not meet the Euro bikes but it'll put a big grin on your face for a street bike and the final price for a newer DRZSM that you don't need to do much to will come out far cheaper than a clean older bike that you dump a couple of grand into for wheels and brakes.

Seriously, sit down and do some searching on prices for the options. Used older bike plus wheels and brakes plus a repair budget (it's old after all) and a used but near new DRZSM. I think the decision will be clear then.
    B for Bruce

Listen to BCRider ( except you wil not save any money) , ignore everyone else at your own utlimate peril. People are making other recommendations out of their own first hand experience. This appears to be your first SM, get something to ride.

Just make sure it comes with a side stand! I have to carry a milk crate bungeed to my back when I ride!
    2004 KTM 625 SMC - again

Just make sure it comes with a side stand! I have to carry a milk crate bungeed to my back when I ride!
    Would love a pic of that

Where are you located Mattydiah?
    I feel I have to stand up for the DRs. I'd allow a testride with maybe a "you wreck it, you pay for it" clause.
    My bike is pretty basic. I haven't had the money to do the suspension yet.
    "It is not the critic who counts..."
    -T. R.

Ok, I have thought it over, and I am going to give the DRZ another chance. An XLR would probably be prohibitively expensive to modify, and I test drove one yesterday, and wasnt all that impressed with the power.

If i get a DRZ, I will have to do some power mods though

Quote Originally Posted by bdmmotard
    klr650's are excellent mileage munchers, and would make a very fun super-touring-moto. often called the "poor man's gs", but in alot of ways it's a better call. for real miles, that's the only one i'd consider. dr650's are also very good mile munchers.
    KLR Motarded....they sure handle better in this configuration..

http://motard.concode.com/images/mot...aki/daklx1.jpg

[QUOTE=Firebolter]What makes you think the Jap bikes are more reliable than the KTM's or Husky's? Cause their not.............QUOTE]

put down the crack pipe. euro bikes better performance out of the box? yep. a husky just as reliable as a drz? no f'n way. i've had enough street tards, done enough miles, and read enough posts to know there's no way that is true. i'm pretty good at blowing up motards, and the drz is pretty damm tough.

Quote Originally Posted by khelton
    KLR Motarded....they sure handle better in this configuration..

http://motard.concode.com/images/mot...aki/daklx1.jpg
    To be fair, that's a KLX. Off the top of my head, inverted forks and smaller tank are differences from the KLR, but I don't know what else.

Post What SuperMoto for New Rider?

Hello all,
    I am brand new to the motorcycle world. Wanting a motorcycle to save money on gas and have something that is a blast to ride but also a good commuter. I am not into cruiser type bikes, and hate seeing everybody and their brother with their jap rockets. I really like the supermotos! Just wondering which is going to be the best for me. I am really leaning twards the DRZ SM but just wondering if there is something better for me out there that I am over looking. My budget would be not much more then 6k. Thanks for the help.
    Davis in Iraq

You know, looking back I think I should have bought a used DRZSM or the husky 610. Look in the forsale section people buy these damn things and put a 100 miles on it and then sell it will all goodies and pretty low prices.
    2005 DRZSM E-base, Edge tail, 3x3, fatbars.

Quote Originally Posted by diabloblanco
    You know, looking back I think I should have bought a used DRZSM or the husky 610. Look in the forsale section people buy these damn things and put a 100 miles on it and then sell it will all goodies and pretty low prices.
    Agree. In your price range, that would be an excellent choice. They're pretty much bullet-proof too.
    The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

i feel a merge coming on....

look for this in the sticky thread under street tarders. all the info and more there...

Default Spoke to Experienced rider on chosing a Supermoto

Like many newbies to SM, I pull what little hair I have left on my head trying to decide from the limited choice I have for a good supermoto, so I decided to talk with a guy who has raced everything, and is literally amazing on a sportbike, esp. for being 43 years old, he could have raced professionally a long time ago, but sometimes it's not always in the cards. He does not ride supermoto, but has ridden all the bikes used for SM. He rode KTM, DRZ400, YZF, CRF. So, when I spoke with him, he basically said Supermoto is unique in that you do not have to be traveling at mach2 to have fun on a bike, he mentioned the only time a sportbike is fun is when you are going all out, the other 99% of real world riding a basic supermoto bike would be much more fun. He rides to race and win, that's it! He said he rode several SM bikes and said they are all fun, because the fun is had at 5 mph or 80 mph because it can do just about everything, bumps on the road are no longer avoided they are sought, staightaways are boring on anything once you get use dto traveling 140mph all the time, the real fun is the corners, again he said any SM can rip there. He told me, the KTM would definetly be more potent than the DRZ, but being faster on the straight is not the purpose of these bikes, if you plan on racing, then yes consider the KTM, but if you are going to race he said, get a MX bike YZF/CRF450 and convert it, add a little to it, and you'll need a KTM 525 to run with them, MX bikes are lighter than an EXC, if you race you don't want a bike with lights, blinkers, you want a screamer that is light as possible.
    So, I asked what should I get if I want a mostly bike for the street, little highway use, nothing more than 70mph, and maybe give the track a try once in a while. He said you'd be dumb not to get the DRZ400, it's reliable, fun, can be piped/jetted for a little more punch, and is fast as anything around sweepers, the only short-coming is the big "hit", but as he said unless your objective is racing, get the DRZ. His last words to me was, kids today think riding a bike is all about top speed, and they are missing the fun of motorcycling, bike control, he sadi a 10 year old could go 130 mph on a bike if he could reach the gears. Get the DRZ you'll have more fun, and once you learn true bike control, abd maybe decide to race, look to convert a CRF or YZF, KTM is good too, but more money, and if it's not the MX version, you will be hauling more weight, which means slower. I think he gave some good advice for new riders and non- racers, any second opinions on going DRZ over KTM, if so please share?

There was much wisdom in the words imparted to you that you so kindly shared with us

If you are mainly road-going and only occassionally dabble on track, then drz is right for the budget minded. However, if you are wanting a sample of sm, but are pretty well intent on getting full-blown and only want to pay up once...then get the ktm smc.

The drz can be made to run quite well and is much more fun then any sportbike will ever be under 100 mph. However, the components and build of the ktm is what sets it apart. It is one of those derestrict and go bikes versus a bike that requires some moderate changes.

I think it will come down to cost of ownership...price of admission and upkeep. Obviously one is more technically superior, but for me I'd rather ride something today that I can afford versus having nothing and just dreaming about what I can't. So my advice to you is go out and determine which you like and if you can afford it...if so then get it.

This sport is about riding and having fun...not bench racing. Although bench can be fun in its own right, but that requires sitting still and overall that sucks.

+1 What he said.
    Motorcycle Tire Services
    http://mototireguy.com
    04 Honda CBR1000RR
    05 Husaberg FS650E (Sold )

I agree with your buddy 110%...my biggest reason for buying my 06 (picking it up this weekend) is the fact that I feel my R6 is a waste on the roads for how I like to ride it. I race as well...I'm still new to sportbikes and motorcycles in general however...I've noticed that as my lap times have dropped...the street gets more and more boring.

The words he stated about it being about control rather than speed are so accurate and true it's not even funny...I'm learning that the difference between the guys who win and the mid-pack guys is the fact that the guys up front "understand" how to ride...meanwhile the mid-pack guys are so focused on "being" fast that they miss out on the fine details it takes to get to the top step. Now...like I said I'm new but my approach is to understand and learn...slow at first equates to fast later!!!

Best of luck with the DR-Z...I have yet to hear anything bad about it!

Sounds like he gave you a lot of good advice. I bet you $1 that you trade the DRZ for a KTM in less than a year, though ...
    2004 KTM 625 SMC - again

I think I told you this once before but I own both.

I could have saved a lot of money had I just went with the KTM right off the bat. The DRZ is a great little bike, yeah little bike. Its slow, its heavy, it needs more HP and another gear. I ride on the street, do some trackdays and basically hooligan it up every chance I get. The DRZ is like riding a CR125 compared to riding a CR500. I could talk until I'm blue in the face, probably won't make any difference. But if you like riding the streets carving the corners and lifting the front wheel on every exit you'll want the hit of the real SM bikes...
    Jim
    06 KTM 525EXC (Motard)

I test rode the DRZ and liked it a lot. But it wasn't really that much better than my older DR350. Better for sure but not enough better to justify the cost of the upgrade. But 10 minutes after twisting the throttle on a Husky I knew I HAD to have one....

Sometimes it's not all about logic. Your friend is right on every count but the Husky makes me grin when it wants to constantly paw at the sky.
    B for Bruce

Sounds like he gave you a lot of good advice. I bet you $1 that you trade the DRZ for a KTM in less than a year, though ...
    Make that $2....

Love my Husky use it every day! 25000km's who said you can't commute on a 450!! That said you can't go wrong with a DRZ but you will need more power sooner than you think, but there is plenty of parts available!!

I dont need more power, is there something wrong with me? I wheelie it fine and more than once I have found myself entering a corner too hot. What is this fixation on power, you want power buy a liter bike not a supermoto.
    2005 DRZSM E-base, Edge tail, 3x3, fatbars.

Advertisement
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast