SuperMoto Junkie banner

CRF450 forks on a XR400

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BSC450 
#1 ·
Ok all,
Looks like I'm going to attempt to put 450 inverteds on a xr400. :headscrat
The plan is to use aftermarket triple trees, with fat bars, and a lowered set of Cr450 forks.
Anybody do this, I need to know if the steering stems are the same size, or if I will have to replace the steering bearings, to accomidate the 450 stem.
Is the neck length the same on both bikes? Will the 450 stem be long enough?
Toss out your knowledge, It will be appriciated.
Thanks,
Brandon

#2 ·
Seems to me that there are several issues present. The steering stems are not the same length and some machining is going to have to be done to get the proper diameter/length. The other problem is the steering stem nut as I believe it needs to be a custom machined part. The last issue is the steering stops...two choices 1)weld on or 2) drill/tap lower triple and place bolts with soft caps to act as stops.

Check out the XR250/400 forum on ThumperTalk. Do a search and you will find alot of great info. PM Oregon Rider as he has just completed a Ohlins fork swap with LTR.

#3 ·
Thanks,
I had a feeling the stems would be different, the stops are no problem to fix, and I don't think it will be to much trouble to have a nut made. I'll give TT a look, and post pictures when I get it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.