SuperMoto Junkie banner

DRZ400SM Oil Change

138K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  GROOVY2 
#1 ·
Just bought a 07 DRZ 400SM. Love the bike but it did not come with owner's manual. What kind of oil do you use and how much oil do I fill it with. ( both tranny and case). Thanks

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do a quick search, this has been hashed over to death with no final solution. The prior link will provide an overview of the process. The engine and tranny share their oil so whatever you choose is lubricating both parts. I have tried many of the recommended choices so far and I prefer Yamalube gold 15w-50, although I am not sure if it is worth the $30 investment in oil yet.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oil change can be confusing on the SM at first. Drain your plug on the bottom of your motor. Next look on your frame, right below the exhaust where the frame is pretty much welded together, there is another drain plug there. Unscrew that one and let the oil drain out of the frame. If you want to do the filter, it is on the right side of the bike with 3 screws holding a cap on. that is where the filter is. Replace and screw back on. Replace all drain plugs!!! My bike took right at 2 quarts once everything was said and done.

On the frame by the steering column there is the oil (dip stick and add in) pour in about a quart and start the bike, let it run for a min or two, and add some more. you should be able to check the oil with the dip stick once you get in around 2 quarts. That should do it. good luck!! I haven't done the tranny oil yet. Oil brand, that is up to you. I think I put in 15w-50. everyone has their favorite brand...

#6 ·
Drain crankcase and frame and filter. There is a drain plug at the filter area too so you dont run oil all down the casing. Some have said to clean the oil screen as well but I have not done that one yet.
Drain the oil then stock fill amount is 1700ml. Converted it is 1.79 quarts (1.8) quarts.

The frame screen is also near the frame plug that hase a rubber hose connecting to a steel elbow. There is a screen in there somewhere that catches the crud much like the filter.

#7 ·
1.8 quarts is recommended....I use Spectro gold semi-synthetic 10w-50

#10 ·
Depends on what kind of riding I am doing. I do some offroad riding and push the bike a bit on back roads and usually change at around 500 miles. If doing any time on the track, I usually change it after every ride. If you're just comuting and riding around town, I would recomend 1000 miles. Just my two cents.

#11 ·
1000-1500 between changes

#13 ·
the manual says to use 10w-40 and to change it every 3500 miles. I used semi synthetic 15w-50 in the summer while I was in AZ (constant 100+ degrees) and now that I'm in UT I use s.s. 10w-40.

I change the oil every 3K miles. While I do ride it hard, I dont offroad it much. Also, I end up topping it off after every couple rides. With that said, I think a lot of people change their oil too frequently.

#14 ·
Crash Washer

Good evening Sirs, I kjust made a search and this thread posp out as i am searching for what king of oil i will used for my DRZ, how about the crash washer mentioned from here how does it looks like on a larger picture and its exact size, where could possibly get that one? I am from asia and very limited supply I think we have here... thanks

#15 ·
Good evening Sirs, I kjust made a search and this thread posp out as i am searching for what king of oil i will used for my DRZ, how about the crash washer mentioned from here how does it looks like on a larger picture and its exact size, where could possibly get that one? I am from asia and very limited supply I think we have here... thanks
There are 2 crush washers used on the DRZ one for the frame drain (10mm) and one for the crankcase drain (12mm), you can use aluminum or copper sealing washers in their place if needed.

#16 ·
As stated

There are 2 oil drain plugs, one under the skid plate and one on the front of the frame behind the front tire, you must drain both.

Use a new crush washers or you can run in to stripped thread issues.

Amsoil 20W-50 showed to be very stout based on UOA's for this bike.

2 quarts works just fine.

Change the oil every 1000 miles.

Also lube the chain when doing the oil as it is often overlooked.

To check the oil ride the bike around the block and get it hot, come home let it sit 3 minutes, check the oil with the bike straight up and down and do not screw the oil cap all the way in, just rest it on top.

#17 ·
There is also a metal oil filter screen that is at the bottom of the frame in the front frame down tube-
it has a rubber hose clamped to it -
it takes a 24mm Deep socket to remove -

this filter screen is used to stop big chunks of crap -

Im not 100% sure but I think All the oil that circulates threw the engine goes threw this filter screen-
when I removed mine it was clean and think I would only remove it after 5 or 10 oil changes or
if I suspected some type of engine problems because this screen is going to catch the big chunks of metal -

Link to removing this filter screen--http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/477507-frame-oil-screen-with-pictures/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.