New or Prospective Members Please Read This First - Page 18
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: New or Prospective Members Please Read This First

Default Salutations

Greetings SUMO fans…

I just got a 2002 DR650se, here in Montreal, Canada. It's still stock, but the plan is to start working my way to an appropriate sumo for my needs. So far, the terrible roads here are the perfect environment for this bike. I took it into the trails a few times, and indeed, it's a bush pig as they say. I don't have knobby tires, but I don't think that's the secret spirit of this bike anyway. I think supermotard is the secret spirit. Post-apocalyptic pavement is what this bike loves.

Perviously I had a Kawasaki Ninja750, which I loved. But after every ride, I had to massage my face to remove my smile. And this kind of smile… well, I don't trust myself. So part of the choice of going sumo is that I believe it's safer… and no less fun. Different fun. There's an adjustment to be made… but so far, still all stock, I'm loving this thing.

I think my first step is going to be to shim the carb a little and swiss cheese my air box for some added performance (that's what I hear) After that, some small aesthetic sumo tweaks like the fender and turn signals… but the big excitement will be those 17" wheels with sticky tires. Then we'll ride off into the sun set somewhere… I guess as far as that tiny gas tank takes us.

peace. out.

Advertisement

Default New member from Latvia

Hello!

I'll post few details here about me. I'm from Europe, Latvia. I'm currently looking for my first bike. I've considered various choices and am currently focusing on KTM 525 EXC sumo conversion or Husqvarna 510smr. Depends which one will fit into budget, because I like both of them. I'm also studying them to understand which one would fit me better and currently I'm leaning more to Husqvarna.
    Goal is to acquire bike during the winter and to prepare it for next season. I need it to be street legal because I'd also like to use it as commuter to work and back.
    As soon as I get the bike, I'll post thread about it.

Welcome to the forum, Barons.

I live in upstate New York.Raced motocross for 16 years.Two significant back injuries recently ended that.I worked for Harley Davidson for 10 years after the military.I am a pipefitter now.I have owned ALOT of bikes.I love all bikes but after riding my first supermoto I was hooked.Just really getting into it.I just purchased a street legal 2013 rmz450.Glad to have found this group and look foward to talking with everyone and learning more.Thanks

welcome hellspawn718.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekota Leroy Bonesaw Job View Post
    What up guys. I'm new to the group and I'll start by saying a little bit about myself. My name is Dekota and I'm 22 and live in Iowa. I've been racing motorcross since I was 5 and just reently bought my first supermoto a 2013drz400sm. I also have a 2014yz450f, 2013yfz450f, and 2008gsxr1000. I've got quite a few years of experience to say the least and if anyone has any mechanical questions I would be glad to help! Decided to get a DRZ to be my new stunt bike after previously stunting a cbr600f4i. I got referred to this site from a guy I met on Facebook and I'm sure there's quite a few people on here that share the moto passion and hopefully some of you are closer to me.
    Welcome Dekota. I'm fairly new to this place but there is a ton of great people and content. We all share the love of Sumo. Glad to see more Midwestern people out there Ride safe!

Default New member

What's guys and girls?
    My names charlie, I'm from ct and I'm here to learn

Welcome Bobs.

Hello, I'm Everette, Long time lurker. Finally got my first supermoto a few months ago. Ben riding sportbikes for 17+ years, now for the real fun.
    2005 KTM 450SMR (AKA eurotrash)

Default New member

Hello everyone, I'm steve from Georgia, got a a newer drz a couple months back. Hopefully I can find some folks to ride SM with. I have yet to see one on the road, but I know you're out there!
    Last edited by RBsteve; 11-14-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Default Fresh Meat

Howdy,
    I'm Rich. Originally from TX but now live in AL. I just bought a 2014 Yamaha WR450F. I also ride a 2006 R6 as my daily driver, but this new bike just might take over that spot once its fully converted to a SM. I've been searching this site for weeks getting tips and tricks on things I'll need to do to my first motard. I can't wait to get it on the street! Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by OGY View Post
    Howdy,
    I'm Rich. Originally from TX but now live in AL. I just bought a 2014 Yamaha WR450F. I also ride a 2006 R6 as my daily driver, but this new bike just might take over that spot once its fully converted to a SM. I've been searching this site for weeks getting tips and tricks on things I'll need to do to my first motard. I can't wait to get it on the street! Semper Fi.
    I think you're on the forum, Fresh meat with money should be posting up in the personals on Craigslist.

Welcome OGY.

Default Hi folks

Hello, I am Rod from Belfast, NI. Got into supermotos when a friend bought a WR400 and I watched him just have so much fun on it around our bumpy back roads! So I ditched the sportsbikes and went supermoto. Currently owner of a TM SMM 530 Black Dream (Yea the one with the full Ohlins and rim mounted front disc and single sided swingarm) and a Ducati Hypermotard 821 SP (Lowered- they are way too tall!). Sunday fun use only.

Default Noob to Supermoto.

Hello, my name is Roope and i am 27 years old i live in Finland have been mostly riding enduro but now starting to have a litle interest towards supermoto and thought that this would be a good source of information!

Welcome Roope to the forum.

Congrats on that great bike, and welcome to Sumo and SMJ.

If you get and pics of the bike, I'd love to see them...I'm a huge fan of TM and the Black Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by the_senator View Post
    Congrats on that great bike, and welcome to Sumo and SMJ.

If you get and pics of the bike, I'd love to see them...I'm a huge fan of TM and the Black Dream.
    Hi there, I think I have uploaded a couple here! I will put Ducati ones up later, although I am thinking about a KTM 690 SMC R to replace it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all, Forest here - 24 riding in the Hudson valley region/capital region of upstate New York. Been riding for about 19 years (never competitively) and just started getting big eyed at the supermoto scene. Currently my primary ride is a 2015 FZ-09 that replaced an R6 earlier this summer. I have had a 2011 KLR650 that has been sitting in my garage for a couple years in-used - only 4300 miles. My first thought was to sell it as it is too heavy and gutless, but after some reading and seeing what the motor modification options are out there, I decided I am just going to give it a try and supermoto it.

Won't be the best toy on the road, but I can't imagine it will be the worst either Currently it is undergoing my comprehensive weight loss program. This weekend maybe a little cam work.

Anyway, good to meet everyone!

Welcome to the forum. Can't imagine a diet plan suitable for a KLR, owned one back in the day, before they put 50 pounds of plastic on them to hide the shell-less snail under it all. Good luck with it and as always pics or it isn't true.

You aren't joking about the 50 its of plastic haha. The steel framing supporting all that crap weighs a ton. Now its all frame and motor

Pics soon

Now it's a naked bike, bust out the sawzall and you can make it a bobber.

Don't forget pics.

Wink New from Goleta, CA

Watsup homies!

My name is Jamie but I go by Jaymo! I'm from Goleta CA, I am 20 years old currently in Phoenix AZ for about 6 months until I finish school, I own a 2005 crf450x that is my daily, currently saving my pennies for a set of 17's

I have been riding since I was 7, started out trail riding, at 14 I completed all 4 levels of CA super bike school as my father is an instructor, attended many track days on a 09 gsxr750, and "competed" (more like tagged along) to a WERA race at Infineon. I've ridden motocross/desert consistently since I was a kid but have never raced. I worked for the local Ducati dealer while I was in high school and am now attending MMI in Phoenix.

So, as you can tell - motorcycles are my life!!!! I have wanted a supermoto from day one however I could never justify it where I am from, now that I have been able to plate my CRF I am anxiously awaiting some 17s, and then all the suspension goodness 👌🏻

Well I hope I didn't ramble on too much, and I am stoked to have a reason to make a profile after so many years drueling over members bikes!

Excited to get into it!

Welcome JayMo to the forum, enjoy.

We must...We must...increase our boost

Gday fellas.

Names Clark. From Sydney Australia. Enjoy super motors a lot. Don't own one as of yet. Currently riding a 05 ZX12R. Not too brand focussed as a lot of different brands have bikes I love. I'm a bigger dude and after having a bit of a go on a mates drz400sm I thought it was a hoot (a push bike with an engine. Was my description of its weightlessness.) mostly comming from big bikes I like the idea of a super moto to do a bit of off road stuff while still having a nimble commuter. My plan unless I read of better alternatives is to purchase at some stage (probably within 12months, as I'm getting married this year) a DR650 then chuck motard wheels at it and a couple of different mods then ride the wheels off it. All while keeping my big 12 in the shed for big long fast rides.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default New memeber here!!! Oscar from Orlando fl

Hello my name is oscar from Orlando fl. Just purchased my first supermoto and can't wait to get to know some of ya and maybe ride at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdmfinest View Post
    Hello my name is oscar from Orlando fl. Just purchased my first supermoto and can't wait to get to know some of ya and maybe ride at some point!
    Nice ride for sure! Good score, was that the one that was recently for sale on Ebay?
    '06 CRF 450R street tard / '09 Husky SM450R / CR500AF Sumo - Current
    '04 KLX110 / CR500AF MX / '08 GSXR 1000 / '03 GSXR 1000 - Current
    '06 YZ 250 / OEM CR500 Steely / '15 KTM EXC 500 - Current
    '95 CBR900RR / '99 R1 / '03 R6 / '04 GSXR600 / (2) '02 GSXR1000 / (2) '05 636 -Sold
    '70 SL125 / '85 KX80 / '90 CR125 / '97 RM125 / '01 CR250 / '02 YZ125 / '05 RMZ450 - Sold

[QUOTE=rrrr1rob;1940498]Nice ride for sure! Good score, was that the one that was recently for sale on Ebay?
    It was listed in a couple places, it was located in south fl. I'm In love it was defenetly a good score and I couldn't be happier. I do have the bi color wheels for sale as of right now I installed marshesinis

[QUOTE=Jdmfinest;1940553]
    Quote Originally Posted by rrrr1rob View Post
    Nice ride for sure! Good score, was that the one that was recently for sale on Ebay?
    It was listed in a couple places, it was located in south fl. I'm In love it was defenetly a good score and I couldn't be happier. I do have the bi color wheels for sale as of right now I installed marshesinis
    Awesome! Congrats on the bike as well as becoming a member here!
    '06 CRF 450R street tard / '09 Husky SM450R / CR500AF Sumo - Current
    '04 KLX110 / CR500AF MX / '08 GSXR 1000 / '03 GSXR 1000 - Current
    '06 YZ 250 / OEM CR500 Steely / '15 KTM EXC 500 - Current
    '95 CBR900RR / '99 R1 / '03 R6 / '04 GSXR600 / (2) '02 GSXR1000 / (2) '05 636 -Sold
    '70 SL125 / '85 KX80 / '90 CR125 / '97 RM125 / '01 CR250 / '02 YZ125 / '05 RMZ450 - Sold

Default Hi from Australia

Hello, names Dan and I'm another Aussie looking to join the ranks. The closest thing I've ridden to supermoto is an old postie bike but hoping to change that in the near future.

I was a late starter to bikes getting my first as a surprise Christmas present from my wife, on the wrong side of 30 I opened the garage door to find a neat 05 wr250f just begging to be abused.

She's been a reliable old pig but has seen better days, so I'm considering re-birthing her as a supermoto. Nothing too flash, just a commute to work type of thing but it dose have centimental value.

I've also recently picked up a 2011 husaberg te250 and could potentially just chuck a set of wheels under it for summer cruising and keep the knobbies for the cooler months of the year. Would love to do both but as always money is an issue.

Have been looking at the cbr250rr wheels as a cheaper alternative for the wr as I'm a machinist and enjoy a bit of time on the tools, which ever way I go I'm sure I'll find what I need to know here, and I'll try and get a few photos along the way.

That's the poor old wr in the background :(

Welcome Dan. Ya' got a keeper there. Anybody that "gifts" two wheels is all right in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydstrans View Post
    Welcome Dan. Ya' got a keeper there. Anybody that "gifts" two wheels is all right in my book.
    Thanks mate, she's defiantly a keeper!

I knew joining here would be a bad idea after looking through a few of the project threads I can feel the budget stretching already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Hi guys!

hi guys new to this!

My name is naomi and i live in london, i currently own a 2004 WR450(supermoto of course) and a vfr400.

i do a lot of road riding but this year hope to get out on a track with my 450, i am terrible at introductions and just trying to get a hang of this site so ill leave you with a picture of me and the beasts

Quote Originally Posted by nay_whaaat View Post
    hi guys new to this!

My name is naomi and i live in london, i currently own a 2004 WR450(supermoto of course) and a vfr400.

i do a lot of road riding but this year hope to get out on a track with my 450, i am terrible at introductions and just trying to get a hang of this site so ill leave you with a picture of me and the beasts
    Welcome aboard Naomi, enjoy.

Advertisement
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718