SuperMoto Junkie banner

New or Prospective Members Please Read This First

239K views 1K replies 548 participants last post by  Remi701SM 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to SMJ, we are more than happy to have the opportunity to further infect you with the Supermoto Virus! :thumbup:

But first..., this section of the forum is typically the best place for your first post and is specifically for you to introduce yourself to the rest of the membership and perhaps tell us a little about yourself if you would like to do so. Feel free to give us the same kind of info you would introduce yourself to any new group with. Remember we are an international group and enjoy learning where you live, your riding background and/or what brought you to either own (or be intersted in) supermotos.

Remember, this spot is for your introduction and NOT the best place for your first questions, we have just met you. Our interest in this section is to see who you are, where you are from and find out a little about you since you have just joined our community. There are plenty of different specific sections in the forum that are vastly more appropriate for your questions and they will get more attention there .

Chances are also pretty good that your first questions may have been covered before as well. Please take the time to do some research on your specific concerns by simply trolling (or cruising) different forums that interest you to see if they have previously been or are currently being discussed.
You can also do more specific research by employing the SEARCH BUTTON underneath the header banner at the top of the page. Enter key words for whatever interests you (i.e. "Best Street Tard", "", "megan fox' :D, "street-legal requirements", etc.) and you are more than likely to get several pages of information to sate your curiosity.

Now that we have been introduced and you have done some preliminary reasearch, feel free to fire away with questions, comments, concerns, observations, ride alerts, ride reports or whatever. And always remember, every post is better if you can work in a pic. In fact, some demand them!

See less See more
Reactions: Rad1
#803 ·
new guy

hello everyone I'm new to motorcycles this coming summer will be my second season my bike is a 95 KLX 650 I built it up from the ground up stripped it down painted the frame did some electrical work and other odds and ends now I'm ready to supermoto it I'm in the process of placing a couple of rims to complete the supermodel look I'm looking forward to maybe meeting new people and learning a lot of new things

#804 ·
newbie from germany

Hi everyone, I'm Sascha from germany located in the south west. I ride a '99 Husqvarna e-start 610 and a 2002 RSV mille R.

First the husqvarna was thought as a cheap ride to get to work, but then it became the "fun project". Pictures I think say more than thousand words.

I have to excuse my english which is not the best. My german is a little better.

Regards, Sascha

Attachments

#805 ·
intro

Hi gents, from New Zealand, getting into sumo racing and finding out as much information on the matter as I can...this seems like where its at.:thumbup: hows it all going?? Ive got a question if anyone knows of a racing cam that is made to fit a 05 ktm 450 exc. searching google and hotcams and that but have found stuff all useful information so far... where abouts on this forum is the best place to post that question?

#806 ·
New SMJ !

Hi im Paul here 18years old from France, started riding at the age of 10 with my little xr80, then i got my first supermoto that i built from a kawa 250f which was awesome and now ive recently bought a husaberg fe570 which im curently trying to build ^^

#807 ·
Hello!

Hey guys!
Im Adam, I'm originally from Poland but found my way over to the states! Alot less supermotos over here that's for sure. I started my supermoto adventures like every one else on a DRZ haha I converted a 2002 s model to a street tard and loved it ever since. I got rid of my r6, gsxr600, my harley, and a few other bikes to fuel my tard craving. I have since added a 2015 Ktm 500 exc to the garage and absolutely love it! hopefully I can pick up some knowledge on the ktm seeing as google holds little to no answers for me. I am a motorcycle mechanic and graduate of Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (please don't laugh) and have been in the field for 2 years now. I still have plenty to learn but I can hold my own. Sorry for any bad English grammar as English as not my first language.

Thanks for letting me be part of SMJ!
-Adam

#808 ·
Hey guys!
Im Adam, I'm originally from Poland but found my way over to the states! Alot less supermotos over here that's for sure. I started my supermoto adventures like every one else on a DRZ haha I converted a 2002 s model to a street tard and loved it ever since. I got rid of my r6, gsxr600, my harley, and a few other bikes to fuel my tard craving. I have since added a 2015 Ktm 500 exc to the garage and absolutely love it! hopefully I can pick up some knowledge on the ktm seeing as google holds little to no answers for me. I am a motorcycle mechanic and graduate of Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (please don't laugh) and have been in the field for 2 years now. I still have plenty to learn but I can hold my own. Sorry for any bad English grammar as English as not my first language.

Thanks for letting me be part of SMJ!
-Adam
Welcome to SMJ! If you can't find your answers here look up DFW Sumos on Facebook (there's a link in my signature), we have several KTM500s on our group.

#813 ·
New to site

My name is Ron Wallace I am 49 years old and have been riding a long time, I work for myself making triple clamp sets for motocross and supermoto. I ride a xr650l for my street beast. Here in Gilroy California south of San José we have a lot of fun roads, my first bike was a rd350 cafe'd out, my next bike was a fj1100, I had it for 3 days until making a right blind sweeping turn and a pinto was coming the other way in my lane, my next bike was a Honda 87 xl600, I would run my dirt bike tires on it when they didn't bite on the race track anymore, I would terrorize the sport bikes with it, learned how to back it in on this, I am currently riding my big red pig ( honda xr650l ) with Metzler dessert Saha 3's and loving the chase with the sport bikes.
Now that I have my own shop I get more chances to ride, spring is around the corner and Santa Cruz is right over the hill.

#835 ·
My name is Ron Wallace I am 49 years old and have been riding a long time, I work for myself making triple clamp sets for motocross and supermoto. I ride a xr650l for my street beast. Here in Gilroy California south of San José we have a lot of fun roads, my first bike was a rd350 cafe'd out, my next bike was a fj1100, I had it for 3 days until making a right blind sweeping turn and a pinto was coming the other way in my lane, my next bike was a Honda 87 xl600, I would run my dirt bike tires on it when they didn't bite on the race track anymore, I would terrorize the sport bikes with it, learned how to back it in on this, I am currently riding my big red pig ( honda xr650l ) with Metzler dessert Saha 3's and loving the chase with the sport bikes.
Now that I have my own shop I get more chances to ride, spring is around the corner and Santa Cruz is right over the hill.
We have lots of roads in Cali but not too may sumos to choose from. The rest of world who we fight for gets the right to ride the gnarliest sumos on the planet and we're stuck converting one bike to another and call it a day.

#817 ·
Hey folks, I'm Jason from San Francisco, CA and I'm 34 years old. I have 2 street legal 2-strokes with California license plates which are very hard to find (no more 2-stroke street legal conversions above 50cc allowed in California since 1999 or 2000). My current daily ride is a 2003 Derbi Senda Xtreme 50 SM with a 70cc Metrakit big-bore kit and Leo Vince exhaust (the perfect city ripper). My other bike is a 1997 Honda CR250 which I bought in pieces and have been slowly building into the supermoto of my dreams (I actually had it running a couple months ago but the top end grenaded within 100 miles). Now I'm rebuilding and adding some 2010 Aprilia RS 125 wheels while I'm at it. I'll be posting the specifics and pics of my wheel swap in the tech section with my progress. By the way I'm pretty handy with a wrench and a welder--I built custom cars as a hobby and I was an auto mechanic for 12 years before I retired to pursue a career in graphic design (where the big money is in San Francisco right now, besides tech).

Anyway, thanks for the awesome site and I hope to learn a lot as well as spread my knowledge to others.
Jason...

#818 · (Edited)
The new guy

Hey guys
My name is Jeff. I am 22 years old and I live in St. John Indiana. It's about an hour southeast of Chicago. I've been riding supermotos for about 2 years now. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was about 3 or 4 years old. My dirtbike is a 2009 kx 450 and my supermoto is a 2012 ktm 690 enduro r that I converted to a supermoto not to long after I got it. I work construction full time and I am a part time pilot and flight instructor.

This is my 2012 ktm 690 supermoto.

Attachments

#820 ·
Hey guys, I am Tyler.

I recently moved down to Millersville, Maryland. Originally from northern PA so still getting accustomed to being in a more crowded area. I use to race motocross and currently own a 2006 crf250. After moving to MD I started to really get interested in supermotos. Hoping coming here I can learn a bit more about them and street legal issues associated with building one. I plan the pull the trigger on one here in the next month or so.

#821 ·
Tyler,
if you plan on using a sumo on the street you should start with a bike that was street legal, be it a DRz , a street legal sumo or a KTM EXC to convert, trying to get a MX bike street legal can be done in some states sometimes, but your better off with a bike that has a legal title

#823 · (Edited)
Tyler

right from the forum stickied at top of street tarders section. http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?144432-Get-a-Street-Legal-Title-and-Plate-for-ANY-Bike!

just got my plate and street legal title for my yz450f. Results vary state to state.

Easiest way to run lighting is to use all LED lighting and a small high amp hour battery like a lithium. the whole lighting system will be separate from your stator. You just charge the battery on a trickle charger when you park the bike. anduse yur headlight sparringy such as at night and not as drl.
Thanks for the replies and yes I didnt specify I guess. I dont plan on turning my current bike into a sumo, she is made for the dirt and shall stay that way :D . however that is exactly what i was going to post about next was whether I should look into getting a drz400 or my other options. Thanks for the link kohns I will head there now and read up on it.

#822 · (Edited)
Tyler

right from the forum stickied at top of street tarders section. http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?144432-Get-a-Street-Legal-Title-and-Plate-for-ANY-Bike!

just got my plate and street legal title for my yz450f. Results vary state to state.

Easiest way to run lighting is to use all LED lighting and a small high amp hour battery like a lithium. the whole lighting system will be separate from your stator. You just charge the battery on a trickle charger when you park the bike. anduse yur headlight sparringy such as at night and not as drl.

#824 ·
what bike you start with really depends on what your intentions are.

#825 ·
I dont have much time to really ride dirt much anymore and my commute to work is roughly 20-25minutes and goes down a 2 lane freeway for roughly 10miles. I want a supermoto that can withstand highway use but still have plenty of power for shenanigans. My dream bike of course would be converting a crf450 since I am a Honda rider. Getting it street legal and whether the engine can handle highway is my main issue. You gave me a link about making it street legal so this makes me feel a little better. Im am not worried about time and money, I enjoy the labor and I am willing to pay for a bike done right. I looked at the KTM and husky 500s (same bikes), but the local shop mentioned if i took them to work on highway I would essentially blow these engines as they are not made for this.(worries me about getting a crf450) This then leads me back to a 2015 drz400sm... its a solid bike, tested and proven. However just may not be the light and powerful bike I am looking for. Granted I can do mods to it for example things from this list. http://socalsupermoto.com/blog/2012/12/03/recommendedmandatory-mods-for-the-drz400sm/

Sorry If I am spamming up this thread, I can make a new post if anyone wants to discuss this more. Even though I am sure there is a thread somewhere already talking about this.

#826 ·
Hello!

I'm Paul. I live in the dry side of Washington State. I've been riding since I was 8 or so, which adds up to about 32 years now. I've probably owned nearly 30 bikes over the years.

I started riding dirtbikes, which morphed into street riding while stationed in Japan.

The only bike I currently have running is a 2008 Pitster Motard. Yes, it is street-registered.

Other very memorable bikes I have owned:

2007 SXV550:

2000 Honda RS250 and 1994 Honda NSR250SE:

I also own a project XR650R, and a custom-built "frankenbike" that is based on a 1988 FZR400 3EN frame.

"frankenbike":

#827 ·
Noob fro New Zealand

Hey folks names Matt from New Zealand 41y old tomorrow. Been on this site thousands of times but never signed up till today.
Been on a Supermoto since the mid 90's.
Wr500 supermoto style
But more recently a GasGas EC300 supermoto very tired and warn out but still life left in it.
Time for an upgrade.

#828 ·
What's up!

Name's Tommy, just turned 25.

Born and raised in way west TX and currently living in way west FL.

I am the noobiest of noobs to bikes and Supermoto. In fact I'm doing my first BRC this weekend.

Been wanting to ride since I was a kid, finally getting the opportunity. After much digging and soul searching about what I want to get, I've decided on a Supermoto. Not the most practical, but definitely versatile and sporty and crashable. And super cool looking.

A WR450f looks like tons of fun, both to build and to ride. Planning on buying one later this year after I move to the San Diego area.

I've scoured several build threads, and I'll definitely need some guidance in the near future. Looking forward to it!
:thumbup::rofl::cheers:

#829 ·
Hello!

Hey guys,

My name is Bas and I'm from the southernmost part of the Netherlands.
I am currently 17 years old and thus only riding a 50.

Looks pretty much exactly like this.
I'm planning on purchasing a late model Honda XR600R this summer and converting it to a motard/cafe racer mix and I was hoping on finding some tips and answers here.
Only issue is: I have zero experience with wrenching, I'd like to think I have an extended knowledge when it comes to supermoto's but as soon as I actually have to hold a wrench I'm clueless. :headscrat
This is kind of the look I am going for with the XR, ofc with some personal touches.

#830 ·
old...er..newbie

Hey everyone..
Older meaning closer than I want to be to 59..lol
My name is Mike Frazier and I'm from Ventura,Ca.
Almost purchased..2008 Husqvarna SM510R...
It's in the works...:clap:
I've riden motorcycles since I was 10yrs old..
Hiatus raising 4 kids and 3 wives...:rolleyes2:
No comment.!!!
Street was an '02 Harley Roadking Classic..
Then an '08 KTM Superduke that I crashed 2/14
and currently own a 2013 Aprilia RSV4r APRC..
Before I get too old..I MUST experience more..
This seems the most likely place for a hooligan...
Cheers.!!!

#831 ·
Hello SMJ, VWildVR6er here. My real name is Janssen, and I am an engineer from Clio, Michigan, USA.

I am no stranger to bikes, nor am I a stranger to wrenching, but I am however a stranger to Supermoto setups so I figured this would be a great place to make myself acquainted. I picked up a 2006 Yamaha YZ450F for a screaming deal last June and I have spent the last few months on and off wrenching on it to get it up and running again. The previous owner was a bit of an idiot and did a whole lot of top end damage, but thanks to help from some friends and coworkers I almost have it back in running order.

My wrenching background comes from building various Volkswagens over the last few years. I have a 1981 Rabbit Truck, a 1984 Jetta Coupe, and a 1992 Golf GTI for projects plus a daily driver 2011 TDI Jetta Sportwagen. Needless to say, VW's are a bit of a passion of mine. That being said, I have always had a soft spot for dirt bikes considering I grew up spending my afternoons and evenings ripping up the trails out behind my parents' house growing up.

So I am getting back into it. I want to get an SM conversion kit eventually for the YZ and utilize SMJ as a resource for technical info. From what I have read so far, the YZ's are not ideal, but that's okay because it wont be used on road a whole lot. Just for the occasional summer road ripping sessions and some trailered road trips down south for some real twisties.

Alas, I am certainly glad to be here.
Thanks,
Janssen