SuperMoto Junkie banner

New or Prospective Members Please Read This First

239K views 1K replies 548 participants last post by  Remi701SM 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to SMJ, we are more than happy to have the opportunity to further infect you with the Supermoto Virus! :thumbup:

But first..., this section of the forum is typically the best place for your first post and is specifically for you to introduce yourself to the rest of the membership and perhaps tell us a little about yourself if you would like to do so. Feel free to give us the same kind of info you would introduce yourself to any new group with. Remember we are an international group and enjoy learning where you live, your riding background and/or what brought you to either own (or be intersted in) supermotos.

Remember, this spot is for your introduction and NOT the best place for your first questions, we have just met you. Our interest in this section is to see who you are, where you are from and find out a little about you since you have just joined our community. There are plenty of different specific sections in the forum that are vastly more appropriate for your questions and they will get more attention there .

Chances are also pretty good that your first questions may have been covered before as well. Please take the time to do some research on your specific concerns by simply trolling (or cruising) different forums that interest you to see if they have previously been or are currently being discussed.
You can also do more specific research by employing the SEARCH BUTTON underneath the header banner at the top of the page. Enter key words for whatever interests you (i.e. "Best Street Tard", "", "megan fox' :D, "street-legal requirements", etc.) and you are more than likely to get several pages of information to sate your curiosity.

Now that we have been introduced and you have done some preliminary reasearch, feel free to fire away with questions, comments, concerns, observations, ride alerts, ride reports or whatever. And always remember, every post is better if you can work in a pic. In fact, some demand them!

See less See more
Reactions: Rad1
#473 ·
Hi!

Hello! My name is Larell and I live in Monterey, CA. I've wanted a bike for awhile but never got around to getting one (or learning how to ride). I took the MSF class a few weeks ago and currently doing some research to figure out what type of bike I want. Several of my friends are pretty serious riders and swear that I should get a 250 ninja or something in that vein but I refuse. I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs. Just ergonomically not right for me. So eventually my friends suggested I look into the DRZ-400SM (although I like the Aprilia 4.5 more). I have also considered SV-650 or a Honda Hawk GT. Seems like the DRZ fits the type of riding I expect to do (short commute and no highway) and is a decent beginner bike that wont bore me to death. I have an '07 Vette so not really looking for a top-speed-demon. On the contrary, I'm kinda looking forward to having a vehicle with a more "go anywhere" bias and a bit of street attitude! Anyhow, I have put myself on a loose time line that has me getting my first bike in May. I intend to crawl all over this site to figure out which SM bike is best for me!

Larell

#476 ·
hey im joah

Hey guys just joined this forum. im called josh im from north east england i started rideing bikes at 16 my first bike was a gilera dna 50 then i moved onto a 33hp aprilia mx 125 witch is were the supermoto craze started. i now own a drz 400e im sm trim. its in bits the moment im personally rebuilding it. its 03reg so it needed abit or cleaning powder coated frame new exhaust plastics and graphics. the works basicly. ill start a thread of my own and show you guys the progress as i go on from start to finish. nice to meet you guys hope to get some good insite

#478 ·
Hey guys just joined this forum. im called josh im from north east england i started rideing bikes at 16 my first bike was a gilera dna 50 then i moved onto a 33hp aprilia mx 125 witch is were the supermoto craze started. i now own a drz 400e im sm trim. its in bits the moment im personally rebuilding it. its 03reg so it needed abit or cleaning powder coated frame new exhaust plastics and graphics. the works basicly. ill start a thread of my own and show you guys the progress as i go on from start to finish. nice to meet you guys hope to get some good insite
Welcome to SMJ

#488 ·
Hello my name is Steve. i ride a 2008 WR 250x. I live in Everett Wa. I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself to everybody! This will be my first forum experience. I am really looking forward to learning alot from the folks on this site.
Welcome to SMJ Steve!

My name is billy im 20 years old and live in honolulu, Hawaii well currently afghanistan. Iv been really interested in either getting a Husqvarna 450sm or the drz400sm. Thanks for the free knowledge and thanks for having me.
Welcome to SMJ Billy!

Hey, My name is Alex. I am from a fairly small town called Berwick-upon-Tweed in the north east of England. I am 17 but have a full (restricted to 33bhp:damn:) license, I started riding last February on a CBR125R but have since upgraded to a temporarily restricted CBX750F. She's 26 bless her, showing her age :(. After watching 1 video by TheGardenSnake I have come to the conclusion that a supermoto is definitely going to be my next bike. I plan to keep the CBX as it is getting to be very rare, maybe worth something to my great great grandchildren. I was looking for a project anyway and well a supermoto seems pretty possible. I'm pretty much a novice to bike mechanics, but I've worked on a few stockcars to know my way around nuts and bolts. Here's a pic of the old girl, not much too look at I guess but at 17 riding a large capacity bike its enough :p

Cheers, Alex.

P.S I'd love any info on supermoto's E.G how to go about starting a project one and things like that. Cheers!
Welcome to SMJ Alex!
Holy....your way up there past York!

#481 · (Edited)
Hello

Hey, My name is Alex. I am from a fairly small town called Berwick-upon-Tweed in the north east of England. I am 17 but have a full (restricted to 33bhp:damn:) license, I started riding last February on a CBR125R but have since upgraded to a temporarily restricted CBX750F. She's 26 bless her, showing her age :(. After watching 1 video by TheGardenSnake I have come to the conclusion that a supermoto is definitely going to be my next bike. I plan to keep the CBX as it is getting to be very rare, maybe worth something to my great great grandchildren. I was looking for a project anyway and well a supermoto seems pretty possible. I'm pretty much a novice to bike mechanics, but I've worked on a few stockcars to know my way around nuts and bolts. Here's a pic of the old girl, not much too look at I guess but at 17 riding a large capacity bike its enough :p

Cheers, Alex.

P.S I'd love any info on supermoto's E.G how to go about starting a project one and things like that. Cheers!

#483 ·
huge difference

Wow lol huge difference between ya 750 and a supermoto lol. nice bikr but dosnt compare to a well set up SM :thumbup: im also from north east england town called durham. iv had bikes since 16 and got my first supermoto at 17 it was a 33 bhp aprilia mx125 did 90mph was fun but unreliable ended up costing me 700 quid to fix lol. now im 21 and owned a drz 400e for 4 years its been an awsome bike and is probibly a good starting point for anyone wanting a project on a suprrmoto. mines been 100% reliable and iv just striped it down to get frame powdee coated and change everything possible to make itlook new again. iv got a thread called drz400 rebuild/upgrade project if you want some insite into building one youtself.

#484 ·
Wow lol huge difference between ya 750 and a supermoto lol. nice bikr but dosnt compare to a well set up SM :thumbup: im also from north east england town called durham. iv had bikes since 16 and got my first supermoto at 17 it was a 33 bhp aprilia mx125 did 90mph was fun but unreliable ended up costing me 700 quid to fix lol. now im 21 and owned a drz 400e for 4 years its been an awsome bike and is probibly a good starting point for anyone wanting a project on a suprrmoto. mines been 100% reliable and iv just striped it down to get frame powdee coated and change everything possible to make itlook new again. iv got a thread called drz400 rebuild/upgrade project if you want some insite into building one youtself.

Thanks 450XSM and Joshimura, I honestly have no idea why I want a supermoto, blame TheGardenSnake haha! I've been mainly into sports bikes until last night. I have literally no idea about them, whether they are just modified crossers or anything (pardon my ignorance :p) your project thread will help immensely. TheGrassSnake says they're pretty cheap but his quotes are still alittle pricey for me, lets see if I can break any records haha. I honestly don't know where to start, probably find a local bike and ask peoples opinions on it before I purchase, if its a project I'm doing I'll be stripping it down to screwthreads, if I have to replace every washer I will.

cheers, Alex

#485 ·
why the supermoto?

Ok dude if ya prefer yout sportsbikes then stick with them. Stick with what you know. on the other hand abit of reserch on supermotos and i thnk you will have a change of heart. yes they aint as fast in a straight line and yes they may only do 80-120mph but they get up to them speeds in no time at all there also mainly al single cylinders so ya cant stay at 100mph for to long. meaning ya wont loose your license as quick lol. but on the twistys there 10 times the fun. through town they turn 10 times more heads on and last thing there cheaper to run. tax 33quid insurance is alot less and they take less time to maintain. and there built to be droped and bumped. if your looking for a good first step you cant go wrong with a road ready drz400sm for the first year to see what you think. Hope this helps:thumbup:

#487 ·
Ok dude if ya prefer yout sportsbikes then stick with them. Stick with what you know. on the other hand abit of reserch on supermotos and i thnk you will have a change of heart. tax 33quid insurance is alot less and they take less time to maintain. and there built to be droped and bumped. if your looking for a good first step you cant go wrong with a road ready drz400sm for the first year to see what you think. Hope this helps:thumbup:
this may look better than road ready ones but it also costs more and takes more work. off road suspension set up some aint road registered some have no lights or batteries.
Well I need a project as I'm bored out've my mind, the CBX is £78 tax a year. Is insurance cheaper? ATM I pay £340 tpo, I'd like to try as many bikes as I can. I'd be on a pretty tight budget for a while, maybe get an old dirt bike and everntually make it road legal etc, probably couldn't afford a drz400sm or anything in the 2000's. I'm not really bothered how it looks, well I'd probably add tarty bits later on but to start of changing riding style I would expect to drop it or something now and again. I've ridden a 500cc speedway bike so acceleration doesn't really bother me that much, CBX has none -.- but the CBX only does about 120 anyway so a 400 wouldn't be too bad.

#486 ·
crossers with road wheels

Yup most them are crossers or enduros with road wheels. but you can also buy road going ones straight from factory you can buy brand new moto x bikes for 7-8 grand and put 1 grands worth of wheels and tirrs for it. this may look better than road ready ones but it also costs more and takes more work. off road suspension set up some aint road registered some have no lights or batteries. but you can find all this out before buying. check autotrader or ebay. Like i said before the drz400sm is easy start. there road ready and 2grand will buy you a decent one :)

#492 ·
hello all.
I'm Dean. My first motorcycle was a 03 SV1000S. I was originally going to get a SM but was told by numerous people that the drz400 was not powerful enough, that I would get tired of it, so I bought the sv. I rode it for a little over a year (11,000 miles) and was getting tired over my hands hurting from the riding position. So, in Mar I traded straight up for a 06 drz400sm. I should have stuck with my guns and bought this to begin with. I love this bike! So much more confidence in riding this bike. Couldn't be happier!!! I installed a 3.9 gallon tank and painted it black. I also installed heated grips. Wa gets a little cold.

Attachments

#498 ·
Got Hooked on SuperMoto in the early 1980's on my Suzuki TS400 Two Stroke!

Hey, here is my intro . . . I was born and raised a Florida Cracker and I now live in De Leon Springs Florida USA which is about a 30 minute ride due west from the Front Door of the Daytona Motor Speedway. In the early 1970's I first rode a Suzuki TS90 with a Factory Hop Up Kit before getting a brand new 1974 Suzuki TM125 which was on sale for $749.00 bucks! In the early 1980's I went off to the University of Florida in my 1969 VW Camper Van. With no place to park I purchased a buddy's Orange Suzuki TS400 to get back and forth to the campus. This two stroke bike was pretty fast off the line and it could out run most cars in a short sprint up to 60mph. Anyway that bike was a blast and I rode it home from school, the beach, and the back trails of the Ocala National Forest. So anyway I was looking on the internet to buy a bike and I came across this new 2009 DRZ400sm and I couldn't stop thinking how much fun that old orange Suzuki TS400 was and I asked the salesman if I could take a test ride? He said no you have to buy it first. So I said just prep it and I'll pick it up tomorrow . . . So here I am having as much fun as ever and thinking it's time to get another "Hop Up Kit"! LoL.

#500 · (Edited)
Pulled the trigger on an '07 DRZ400sm from Carmel IN (Indianapolis)

I have ridden for about 23 years, mostly sport standards. Monsters x2, couple s4rs', s2r800, hyabusa, f2, '81 xs1100 , 85 nighthawk 650 (first bike loved it), couple custom choppers, sportster, maurader 800 . Coming off a 2000 sv650 and love this bike killing me to sell.
I tried riding dirt bikes in my early 30's for about 6-7 years. xr250, kx100 ( favorite dirt bike) . crf230 , crf150r ( never rode) . got tired of crashing and all my friends quit :)

I live in Carmel just north of Indianapolis IN. Looking forward to learning this style of riding and eventually getting good enough to participate in some minor hooliganism . Wheelies and such :)

I am a fireman for the city of Indianapolis, love to play sports ( Hockey mostly).
This kinda feels like a personal ad lol . Ok guys great to be on board.

I'd post a pic but I dont know how it keeps saying upload failed.

#524 ·
I have ridden for about 23 years, mostly sport standards. Monsters x2, couple s4rs', s2r800, hyabusa, f2, '81 xs1100 , 85 nighthawk 650 (first bike loved it), couple custom choppers, sportster, maurader 800 . Coming off a 2000 sv650 and love this bike killing me to sell.
I tried riding dirt bikes in my early 30's for about 6-7 years. xr250, kx100 ( favorite dirt bike) . crf230 , crf150r ( never rode) . got tired of crashing and all my friends quit :)

I live in Carmel just north of Indianapolis IN. Looking forward to learning this style of riding and eventually getting good enough to participate in some minor hooliganism . Wheelies and such :)

I am a fireman for the city of Indianapolis, love to play sports ( Hockey mostly).
This kinda feels like a personal ad lol . Ok guys great to be on board.

I'd post a pic but I dont know how it keeps saying upload failed.
Welcome to SMJ!

Hi everyone my name is Matt, been looking at this site for a while now and don't know why i never have signed up before. Been riding dirt bikes for about 10 years, had a Drzsm for a short time but had to sell because someone cut down my money tree. That was about 2 years ago, and just recently picked up a 07 drz400sm all stock but looking forward to the project of making it my own. Great site, thanks
Welcome to SMJ Matt.

Hi!,

My name is Joris and I am from the Netherlands, I am 18 years old and I am gonna buy a supermotard in june or july. I have drivin 2 years on a moped (50cc/80cc), f*cked around on that and been busy with modifyin it to my wish. I came out really nice with rest free spokes and all the bits and pieces.

So...
My english is not that good so I may sound kind of funny some times :D

I already have a good time here!
Welcome to SMJ Joris.

Just wanted to say Hi. My name is Dan I'm from south Florida. I'm new to the supermoto secene. Drz owner by the way.
Welcome to SMJ Dan.

I like racing, dirt bikes, choppers, two wheels and long walks on the beach.

My favorite color is checkerd flag.

My interests include the PPIHC, WEBE, RMEC, flattracking and just purdy much being a complete racer bum.

VANS RULE!
Welcome to SMJ.

What's up guys. Name is Sonny. I got my bike last year and I love it! Haven't been riding long. I have a 2008 DRZ 400 SM. From Denver Co. A friend told me about this site and wanted to see what it's about. So far I like what I am seeing.
Welcome to SMJ Sonny.

hi, im Pp Díaz im a Mexican Supermoto rider in class S2 (Novice /intermediate) i ride a 450 crf and i think this forum is great!
Welcome to SMJ.

Got my endorsement 3/2/12...been riding for about a month, but grew up riding quads here and there.

Bike is an 09 klx250sf. Picked it up on craigslist for $3300 with 294 miles.

Only current mod is Wolo Bad Boy horn and I love it.
Welcome to SMJ.

My name is Otto I am 17 and live in Finland.
I got my first bike @ 15 It was a derbi senda x-treme 50cc
Welcome to SMJ Otto.

Was Lurker, Now Member. Such a great Forum with alot of specific info. I followed alot of everyone's videos over on Youtube also. So although I'm a stranger alot of you guys are like:bowdown: celebrities:bowdown: to me.:rock:
Welcome to SMJ.

#505 · (Edited)
• Go to http://photobucket.com/
• Place all your photos in that account
• Copy the IMG codes of the photos you like and paste them into your thread responses
• Wonder at your amazing photographic skills as they appear for all to behold!

Now quit clowning around and get to it!