SuperMoto Junkie banner

My 1984 Yamaha XT 600 supermoto.

85K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  Richie Cocks Liburd 
#1 ·
Hi.

Here is my 1984 Yamaha XT600 in it´s current state. Still have to mount the bashplate and a few other details.

Modifications so far:

Racing header from ABP Racing in Germany.
Shortened "Muzzy" exhaust.
Stage 1 cam from ABP Racing.
Cylinderhead ported by ABP Racing.
Twin 34mm Mikuni flatslide carbs replacing the original 26 and 30mm carbs.
UFO Supermoto front fender.
UFO YZF 250/450 front numberplate.
Oilcooler from an old GPZ.
Behr 3,5 and 4,25 rims fitted to original hubs.

Still to come.
Mount R6 brake rotor along with Nissin 4 pot caliber from an older GSXR 750.
Possible fabrication of a new rear subframe.

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.
I´m breaking in a new set of piston rings, so I have to drive it very careful for the first 500km, which is rather painful for me, as it´s just begging to be driven hard...:)
Looking forward to be able to pour on the coals again, and see if the 430€ for the porting job was well spent.

#10 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.
I´m breaking in a new set of piston rings, so I have to drive it very careful for the first 500km.
If you want to really seat those rings properly, you should give it some real good acceleration and deceleration through the gears, no constant speeds. At least thats what most believe.

When I broke in my DRZ I was somewhat careful for the first 50 (probably less) then started giving it about 80% accel/decel everywhere.

After about, lets say 200 miles, the rings would be seated about as much as they ever will be.

#9 ·
dude one thing you really need to do is figure out how to convert ur rear drum into disc, so unsafe..... otherwise i'd say thats badass goodluck:thumbup:

#11 ·
I took "knockout´s" advice, and have been running the engine a bit harder recently. Much more fun than lolling about at near idle for 500 km... :)

Actually the rear brake works very well indeed. Quite powerful, and easy to manage, so I´m not planning on changing it in the near future.

I have found out that apparently a 320mm disc from a new XTX660 fits the standard hub, so I may be looking for one of those instead of messing with the R6 disc which will need a spacer before I can use it.

Another future project will involve mounting dual exhausts if I can find a cheap set at the junkyard. I absolutely refuse to pay rediculous amounts of money for a bit of stainless tube and some aluminium plugs I can make myself...:)

#13 ·
Very few bikes look better stripped down...and this is one of them. It looks great.

I agree on the break-in advice. I broke in one motor by the book, and it had bad ring seal, lots of blow by, and used a bit of oil for thousands of miles.

The next one I rode as normal, just without any extended high rpm use, and no crawling stop and go traffic. Broke in properly almost instantly.

#21 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys.

@Peter
Don´t think that the 600 and 250 engines share any components. First of all the the 600 has an 84mm stroke where the 250 only have 73,5mm so even if you manage to fit the 600 cylinder/piston on the bike the stroke is stille way off.

#22 ·
Hej pelle gris

Jeg kan ikke finde nogen dokumentation på min xt 250. men den set meget ud som om at den er identisk med din, dog skulle min efter sign være fa 2002, har dog kigget på alle modeller fra 2002. på nettet og kan ingen fide der ligner den. min motor ligner din men topstykket og cylenderen virker en anelse mindre.. mit problem er i høj grad at jeg er på fillipinerne og der ikke er nogen hernede der kan give mig et brugbart svar.. jeg er selv typen ikke tager et nej for et svar. jeg finder altid en løsning. jeg forstår natuligvis hva du siger med slaglængden, dog undre det mig at min gearbox ligner din til forveksling.. alting ligner din så jeg er begyndt og tænke på om min rent faktisk er en 600 ccm. jeg syntes ikke jeg kan finde en 250 ccm med den type af motor eller lign.. Jeg er ret forvirret.. håber du kan hjælpe mig lidt på vej.. jeg har ikke noget værksted eller ville jeg nok ha splittet den ad og fundet ud af det.

#24 ·
Jeg kan ikke finde nogen dokumentation på min xt 250. men den set meget ud som om at den er identisk med din, dog skulle min efter sign være fa 2002, har dog kigget på alle modeller fra 2002. på nettet og kan ingen fide der ligner den. min motor ligner din men topstykket og cylenderen virker en anelse mindre.. mit problem er i høj grad at jeg er på fillipinerne og der ikke er nogen hernede der kan give mig et brugbart svar.. jeg er selv typen ikke tager et nej for et svar. jeg finder altid en løsning. jeg forstår natuligvis hva du siger med slaglængden, dog undre det mig at min gearbox ligner din til forveksling.. alting ligner din så jeg er begyndt og tænke på om min rent faktisk er en 600 ccm. jeg syntes ikke jeg kan finde en 250 ccm med den type af motor eller lign.. Jeg er ret forvirret.. håber du kan hjælpe mig lidt på vej.. jeg har ikke noget værksted eller ville jeg nok ha splittet den ad og fundet ud af det.
I know right

#28 ·
This is the bike that does not excist

but here its an xt 249 cc 4 valve engine.. and i believe its from 1988.

So far the engine has been "fixed" mufler modified xt 2009 design but stainles steel, the bike came with drum brakes fron and back, so this i have changed. a couple of other things which not important, gradually changeing it to look better, i really pullsled about the design, and how the headlight should be but i like your style pelle gris, and are therefor thinking to remove the headligt and make an LED thing in the front bumper..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.