SuperMoto Junkie banner

Origin Of 'GasGas' ?????????

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SHADOWPLAY288 
#1 ·
Not sure who told me this. Did GasGas used to be Bultaco (Cemoto) ? In the 70's when I rode my Ossa 250 Stilleto, Spanish bikes were the bomb!This was when the National pros rode XR750's (other than a few like Kenny Roberts Yam 750 Triple ) and flattrack had Ossa's,Montesa's,Bultaco's,Triumph's and maybe a Rokon ! Motocross was full of Bultaco's,CZ's ,Husqavarna's and Maico's !! Then came the Honda Elsinore and the YZ's -Bob Hurricane Hannah and soon it was Japanese bikes. You had the 'Mono-shock(yam),Uni-track(kaw),Full floater(suz) and the Pro-link(hond). Pursang's(moto-x),Sherpa's(trials) and Astro's(flattrack)-Bultaco's were gr8 machines ! 10 bikes and 30 years after my Ossa 250 I've come full circle as I now own a 08 WRX ! So..... GasGas = Bultaco ? Thanx 4 listening ! DJ in NYC 09 :D

#3 ·
Thanx 4 the reply, it appears I was misinformed about GasGas, interesting story tho. This is the Wiki story of Bultaco !!
Although they made road and road racing motorcycles, the company's area of dominance was off-road, in motocross, enduros, and observed trials competition.

Perhaps the most famous Bultaco model is the Sherpa T, a trials bike, which revolutionised the sport in the 1960s. At that time trials was almost exclusively a British sport using big heavy four-stroke machines. Irish trials ace Sammy Miller worked with señor Bultó to produce a lightweight two-stroke machine which, overnight, rendered the heavy four-strokes obsolete. This coincided with and, perhaps, stimulated the growth in the popularity of trials in Europe and later the USA, which provided a lucrative market for Bultaco in the years to come.

Bultaco's premier model in the USA, the Pursang, was an excellent handling and powerful 250 cc competition model that could readily compete in virtually any type of speed-based off-road competition. In later models this was expanded to 125cc, 360cc and 370cc Other models, such as the Sherpa T (trials), the Astro (flat tracker) and the Matador (trail bike), provided more targeted approaches to specific types of races.

Bultaco motorcycles were mainly powered by single-cylinder, air cooled, two stroke engines, but they also made water cooled versions. The rider was required to mix the oil and gasoline manually. Built in Barcelona, Spain, Bultaco motorcycles were exported throughout the world, but their largest market ultimately became the USA, allowing aspiring racers to purchase legitimately competitive motorcycles right out of the box.

Due to industrial unrest and market pressures, Bultaco production closed in 1979. The factory reopened in 1980, but closed again in 1983.

MotoGP star, Sete Gibernau is the grandson of the founder of Bultaco, Paco Bultó. Legend has it that Mr. Bultó asked to be buried "with his Bultaco t-shirt and his moustache properly waxed".

In 1998, rights to the Bultaco name were purchased by Marc Tessier who used it to help launch a range of purpose-built trials motorcycles from his company Sherco Moto S.A.R.L. The bikes were initially named Bultaco Sherco's, then in 2000 the bikes became 'Sherco by Bultaco' and in 2001 the Bultaco name was dropped altogether.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.