SuperMoto Junkie banner

Yamaha wr426 vs KTM 520 exc

26K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  dragin knees 
#1 ·
what bike do you prefer for daily use as street tarder? pros and cons.

Cheers

#6 ·
how many miles are you going to be putting on it a day? is it for commuting or just blastin around town and playing? both bikes are really nice. I ride my yz426 to my college everyday. round trip 15 miles and i love it. I think alot of people are scared of maintenance issues but you're going to run into that on ANY bike. Being realistic, out of all the motards there are only the WRX, XR, and DRZ that are considered street friendly (meaning low maintenance issues, less oil changes, check valves every XXXX amount of miles, bulletproof) but all three of them are slow, outdated, or too small. If you're able to keep up with your maintenance then any bike is a good choice!

#7 ·
Thanks for the answer quadman, I plan take it 10 miles around town daily (maybe 60 for a week...), just for fun after work. I´m looking for a wr426 or a exc 520; all of you with the same use, which is your waste ($$$)? Which is more reliable at last?

thanks

#18 ·
I ride the WR 3-5 days per week, sometimes across the island for a 80-100 miler but most of the time I just play locally, not too far from the house.

I also have a YZ426 for dirt only that I only get to ride about once a month these days. Before, I would ride the YZ 5-7 days per week for an hour to all day long. I was ALWAYS on that bike.

Maintenance? I really should do better. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I checked the valves and probably should do that. But both bikes start on the first-second kick and have no issues. Never have.

Again, knock on wood, I have never had a breakdown or to change hard parts on either machine. I firmly believe in preventative maintenance (well, except for my recent lack of valve checks) and constantly lube cables, adjust clutches, change oils, etc. I change the WR oil every other month or so (or whenever it starts getting dark) and I change the YZ a couple times a year (not much riding now).

Both of mine are 2001's (real dinosaurs). I have had the WR for 2 years now (have no real idea about it's previous history) and have had the YZ since 2003. Guy bought it, crashed bad, broke some bones, sold it. My bud bought it, crashed bad, broke some bones, sold it to me. It was practically new. I crashed it, broke some bones, and kept it forever.

I think it likes commitment. It's been good to me.

#12 ·
Of course man :thumbup:
sakke83 said:
ktm has reliable motor but either will blow up if not used correctly. i'm a bit biassed cause i have couple of orange bikes. when i bought mine, i did complete rebuild before i started riding it. i have 3 problem free years on the bike so far. other plus for ktm woud be that you can build it to 650 if you want (and have the cash). mine is 540 now and it's a hoot to ride. dynoed 60nm/67hp from the wheel.
Could you tell me how much money involved in your maintenance schedule?

Please paste some links about that 650 motor upgrade.

Thank you

#11 ·
ktm has reliable motor but either will blow up if not used correctly. i'm a bit biassed cause i have couple of orange bikes. when i bought mine, i did complete rebuild before i started riding it. i have 3 problem free years on the bike so far. other plus for ktm woud be that you can build it to 650 if you want (and have the cash). mine is 540 now and it's a hoot to ride. dynoed 60nm/67hp from the wheel.

#13 ·
maintenance on both bikes will be about equal which include regular oil changes and rather short valve check intervals. 500 to 600 miles intervals for oil and between 1,5 and 2,5 k for valves.

streetbike wise the exc should proove to be a better choice. larger displacement means less revving the nuts off it to keep moving and "comfort" wise the exc at least has E-start and a six speed gearbox.

#15 · (Edited)
------ have a 2001 Yamaha WR426. The bike is 9 years OLD....Previous owner didn't ride it a ton --- also never adjusted the valves. Checked the valves for the first time 2 weeks ago......they were still in spec. (the WR is a shim under bucket design and needs very little maintence... many simply check the valves 1 or 2 times a year....and rarely have to re-shim)

My KTM 625 SMC is a rocker-arm with tappet design..... this design requires valve checks more frequently. (I check them every oil change)

The KTM 525 can last you for years --- but you have to maintain it correctly.

#19 ·
I've got a 520SX supermoto that I added 5th and 6th gear to for a couple hundred dollars (as best I can remember). I've been riding the heck out of it on the street for about 1.5 years now and love the thing. I've checked the valves 3 times since I put it in service and adjusted once...was right at the limit.

So far it's been fun and bulletproof.

#23 ·
How did you lower your suspension? Compression and rebound only? revalved?

Would be great lower de centre of gravity for street and change stuff for some trail riding without changing the suspension, I mean a compromised of both.

i assume i won´t flat foot the bike, do you mean in tard version or mx?

#24 ·
$600.00 and my local KTM shop got the suspension done. I've rebuilt forks myself, but you have to replace spacers in them to lower them and I didn't know what to get. Also had the springs changed for my weight and I wouldn't have known what to get there either.

Basically what I've got on my bike right now is the 525smr setup which means slightly lower...probably only about 3/4 inch, but it sags so much less due to the stiffer springs. I don't really notice that it's lower since with me sitting on it, it's about the same height. I had them also change the shim stack so the valving is a lot stiffer...more like my R1 than a dirt bike.

I wish they had lowered it more, but the sag and valving is perfect for the street. The suspension project started after a lowside where I was coming out of a corner and had just got on the throttle and the front end went. I've had the front slide on my R1, but it gave me warning that it was going by feeling like it was tucking under, but the KTM gave no warning at all. I found out the hard way that when you have softly sprung dirt bike suspension loaded in a corner, when the front starts to slide, it extends like a pogo stick...I had the rebound and compression about 3 clicks out with the orignial suspension and it just wasn't stiff enough for the street.

I've also gone the extra step this winter in changing the triple clamps out with some 14mm offset triples from a 2001 ktm300sx (I think). When I went from the dirt wheels to 17" wheels, the steering got REAL light due to decreasing the trail. By putting the 14mm clamp on I've increased the trail which increased steering input required and should give me better front end feel....was way to twitchy before.

Hope this helps.

#25 ·
I'm leaving the corner store this weekend, and a guy comes up to me...

"That's a 426, huh?"
Me-"Yep."

"They're tough, but impossible to start!"

I kicked, and halfway through the motion, my bike is idling.

Me-"Oh yeah, it's a real bastard to get running."

#30 ·
i have a wr 426 and a ktm 625 ! i have raced yamahas all my life and have nothing but good things to say about them and i beat the crap out of my bikes too ! this is my first ktm though and so far i have been very pleased both are very good bikes but the wr 426 is by far the most fun street legal bike ive ever owned oh and by the way i have yet to adjust a valve on a yamaha they are always in spec:thumbup:

#32 ·
I ride my WR426 (444 big bore) almost daily,then when the weekends come around, I beat the hell out of it in the canyons, and it seems to ask for more. (in fact it seems to run better when I am beating on it!!) Have not had any major problems at all. Doesn't miss a beat. I ride it up to the the canyons, which are at least 15-20 miles from my house, beat on it up in the canyons, and I am able to ride it back without issue. I love it!

Hard to compare the two though, cause usually a larger displacement motor will tend to be easier on the oil, internals, etc, cause it doesn't have to work as hard as a smaller displacement motor. Especially in daily riding conditions.

#34 ·
I've had both (02' WR426 and now an 07' 525). Love'em both but I love the power/displacement of the 525 on the open twisty. Maintenance on both were the same, valves remained in spec for a long time (but always check for piece of mind). The WR took a serious beatin' and never complained. It's a cheaper option that's hard to beat.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.