SuperMoto Junkie banner

Are they any good

16K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  sco 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if they were any good because i might get one. DO you recomend one :arsenal

#3 ·
Parts are no problem if you get a good dealer.
We have a great dealer in our area, and prices on parts are just as cheap if not cheaper than other japanese counterparts.
You just need to find a dealer that actually uses GASGAS, and doesn't simply have one stuck in the corner they are trying to unload and know nothing about.
If I could unload one of my bikes I would buy one in an instant.

The new 450 4 stroke is fuel injected and has the lightest clutch many people have ever felt. Did I also mention it works like a slipper clutch?

#7 ·
We had a GasGas dealer in Slidell LA, the guy was great, GG was his ONLY bike brand that he sold. If I had the $ It would be at the top of my list. Great build quality and if they can handle MX tracks with his Fat ass on it (GOOD 350lb guy), that says a lot.

#8 ·
I've been charged with maintaining SM450fse gasgas cycles X15
Yes I said fifteen of thoes cycles! 2004models
They got the crap ridden out of them 7days a week/365days a year!
I devoleped loads of respect for their durability. We have changed over to
WR450 Yamahas But if there is ANYTHING you need to know about about gas gas from 2004 model year I'm sure I can help!

#9 ·
GG is good.....but not good enough. I believe if you go with a DRZ or a KTM will be much more easier to find a dealer and a good mechanic.

Do you believe guys that there are no any GasGas in Europe (as far as i know ofcourse, since i didnt saw any)?

I believe GasGas is only selling in the US. I didnt saw any GG in Cyprus, Greece, UK, Italy or France. I travel a lot into these countries and i never found a GasGas. :headscrat

#10 ·
avgoustinosc said:
GG is good.....but not good enough. I believe if you go with a DRZ or a KTM will be much more easier to find a dealer and a good mechanic.

Do you believe guys that there are no any GasGas in Europe (as far as i know ofcourse, since i didnt saw any)?

I believe GasGas is only selling in the US. I didnt saw any GG in Cyprus, Greece, UK, Italy or France. I travel a lot into these countries and i never found a GasGas. :headscrat
gas gas is a spanish make so i'd be pretty crazy if you couldnt even find 1 gas gas dealer in the whole of europe... just cause you never saw one riding the streets doesn't mean they're not there.
they're pretty popular in scandinavia and the UK, a buddy of mine owned a 450 SM and that thing hauled ass, ohlins suspension, one of the only sumo's that uses fuel injection, a suprising load of hp at the wheel (something around 50 rwhp bone stock), and still surprisingly reliable. another mate owned a blue 300 EC which he converted to a sumo, he only kept it about 3 months and sold it afterwards cause he got tired of riding 2 strokes.

btw found this dealer list for the US on their site
http://www.gas-gas.net/dealers.php

#12 ·
Hey skully,

Yeah, i know that exist in Europe but why are not so popular??????
I was in England for 2 years and never saw a GasGas. I dont know...you're saying that are powerful and reliable and 50hp bla, bla.....

If these bikes are so good why are not popular and why there aren't dealers all over Europe....I dont know about you but for me sounds very good to be true.

:headscrat

#13 ·
avgoustinosc said:
Hey skully,

Yeah, i know that exist in Europe but why are not so popular??????
I was in England for 2 years and never saw a GasGas. I dont know...you're saying that are powerful and reliable and 50hp bla, bla.....

If these bikes are so good why are not popular and why there aren't dealers all over Europe....I dont know about you but for me sounds very good to be true.

:headscrat
gas gas is a smaller company a lot like TM which means there is a smaller dealer network, not comparible with a make like ktm or husqvarna, you could in a way describe em as exotic offroad/sumobikes that come with a pretty big pricetag, the 450 is just under 10000 euros, even the strokers are pretty pricey, bout 7k for the 125 and the 250 sm. fact is they're very good bikes with a lot of high end parts (ohlins, injection, electric starter,...), my mate never had any complaints about his 450.

#16 ·
I believe you..i just was curious what bike you have and if you have a GasGas.

Anyway, i would like to see a GasGas so i'll try to pass by Belgium next time i'll be in Europe :D and i can teach some lessons to the GasGas bikes :D

#18 ·
My brother in law just purchased a 2004 Gas Gas 450 SM this weekend. The bike seems to be a quality piece. We took turns riding it the 150 miles home. I own a KTM 450 SMR for comparison. Handling and ride are on par with the KTM. I think the KTM may have a little more power; we haven't had them side by side yet, but it is pretty close. I love the E start and the 2.4 gallon tank compared to my 1.8. The fuel injection kicks ass. It's as if the bike predicts you are going to open the throttle and is waiting on you to do your part. The seat is a little more comfortable; well i should say it doesn't start to hurt as quickly as the KTM's. The brakes are outstanding. The fit and finish are great.
I really can't find any faults with the bike. I like the controls on the KTM a little better, they just have a different feel which I prefer.
I think a new import group is taking over the duties for GAS GAS so hopefully this will give them more exposure in the U. S.
I don't think you can go wrong with one. It sure is nice having all the street legal stuff already installed and ready to go out of the box.

Cheers,

Steve

#21 ·
A friend of mine from Buffalo is now an engineer for Gas-Gas in Spain and helped design the 2006 four-stroke motors.

Another buddy from Buffalo is flying down to meet him at the GasGas dealer show and will get to ride all the bikes. I'll get him to post a report soon.

My understanding of their philosophy is that a rider should be able to buy a GasGas and race it competitively race it without having to modify it or spend $ on aftermarket performance items.

#22 ·
Skully25 said:
might be offtopic but no i own a KTM exc 450

you want proof that i actualy know someone with a gas gas? here's a pic i took during a rideout, i know the owner personaly so any info i just gave about gas gas came directly from the owner....

I bought that bike earlier this week :D :thumbup:

Great little bike & lots of power and a great sound. :thumbup:

#23 ·
Yea, GasGas's are great bikes....except for mine. :( ~Nothing but problems since I purchased it a few months ago as a '04 left over.

#24 ·
I have a leftover '04 as well. Sad to say it's been nothing but problems since I purchased it though; oil leak, slow start, push start, no start, when finally start...it would die when engaged into 1st gear, completely dead battery already, battery won't charge, had to install battery tender to charge battery, rev out of control when bars extended far right, jerky feeling at the top of each gear (especially 6th gear), kick stand flips up when it's not supposed to, etc.

All of the above issues had been addressed and corrected with the exception of the bike not reliably starting the jerky feeling at the top of 6th gear. :(

#25 ·
Try this out.

I am not speciffically knowledgable on your bike, but I am a car mechanic and here is some things you should kow about FI.
1-----FI is bassed on set paremeters, check for any types of air leaks around boots or manifolds as this will confuse the issue and cause problems like hard starting, blubers, smoking (actually causes computer to go rich). \
2-----Some computers (learn and correct), if the throttle cable was misadjusteed from the factory, it may need to be adjusted correctly and then reset the computer.
3------If and I assume, this bike has an 0-2 sensor (oxygen sensor) never ever run any kind of leaded fuel. Dont even use fuel out of a container that had race gas at one time. the residue can contaminate or kill your 0-2 and throw off the fuel ratio measurement of the computer. Remember that some dumbass kid could have dumped some gas in your bike at the dealer when it was assembled originally and you wouldn't know it. If your dealer has a diag link(computer diag) He should be able to hook up and look at 0-2 sweep and determine that it is working and (ranging up-down up-down up-down) normally
4------- Fuel pressure really comes into play on fuel injection. If the bike sat around for several years, it may have varnished in the filter restricting pressure. this would cause a lean condition and then the computer would wig-out and go over rich---- try and compensate by holding injector open longer.
5------- the computer determines (ranges) all this stuff based on batt voltage. If the voltage is not right it can cause the computer to slightly mis-interprit the info. Make sure you have a good battery and that all cables and wires have good clean conections. pay close attention on the ground cable as well. Make sure that tha ground cable is not trying to ground acroos a painted or powder coated frame as this could also throw off readings.
------I read your posts about your problems and several of these could all have the same root cause, any of these things listed above. Have you or your dealer check this stuff out. Also keep in mind that it some times takes a company a while to realize a problem in FI like fuel in europe compared to fuel in us. But they usually will eventually get it. You siad the dealer was going to check the map, this is like changing the jetting profile on a carb and can solve alot of problems. The new aprillia v-twin is going through that right now. Keep your chin up, us guys who buy the exotics make motorcycling a lot more interesting and beautiful. I'm suffering with a knocking VOR501 right now and am going to have to try and figure out how to get a rod fixed.
------hope all this helps Blackstripe1 at slickwilliestoys:FU:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.