SuperMoto Junkie banner

Excel Rims Damaged during Tire Change at shop.

35K views 151 replies 53 participants last post by  apa 
#1 · (Edited)
I took my wheels off my drz last night, took the wheels and my new conti SM's to the shop this morning to get them put on. I return an hour later to pick up the wheels, head home, and am about to put them on when I notice the majority of the circumference of the rim is scratched/scarred whatever you want to call it. Bottom line is they had no scratched when I took them in.
I call the shop and tell them they've fuked my wheels up, and they said they will touch them up, with black glossy paint. I personally thought that was a little absurd as touch up paint usually turns out not looking good.
I am just wondering what anyone would do here.
any advice or similar situations?
Many Thanks

#2 ·
cant really provide any advice other than take pics and talk to service manager.... I just want to comment that if a rim clamp machine was used to change your tires the installer must be a total idiot....virtually impossible to scratch rims with those machines...

#3 ·
I would at least make a written demand before I filed a suit. Let the shop know that "touching them up" is not acceptable. If the rims were in TRULY like-new condition, I'd ask for a replacement. If not, some pro-rated value will probably be the best you'd get via lawsuit, anyway.

#5 ·
I just wanted them to come out the way they went in, the thought of even having to take that chance never crossed my mind. uploading photos in a second.

Hard to see the scrtaches with the glossy paint and flash.
Front:

Rear:

In person the contrast is much greater so the damage is easier to visually identify.

#7 ·
+ emmer effing 1!!! Pure dumbass did that damage. That's EXACTLY the reason shops have commercial liability insurance. Make them take care of it. There's no way that would have happenned if the proper tools (for a painted rim) and methods were used. So, they did not do it correctly and the result was damage. What is REALLY a pisser is that they did not mention it to you. You had to figure it out on your own. That is just crappy.

#11 ·
No I didnt sign a waiver, I just called yesterday to see how much it would cost, and brought them in this morning.

This is a common one. Basically, a coated or nylon tipped bar as opposed to metal.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/6
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a series of tools that are used that would have been appropriate for painted rims, as opposed to the ones the guy used.
When I called this afternoon, he said he used towels and did what he could to not scratch them, but theres no way to put a tire on those rims without scratching them.

thanks again for the assistance, opinions.

#12 ·
The problem is that you left the shop.
Example: I once was a valet driver, the valet company assumes liability for your vehicle when they take it. But, once you receive your car and leave the lot then any subsequent claim is null and void. It is impossible to prove then that the company is responsible for it. I've seen too many people get screwed this way. Serious damage but you left, so sorry man, it wasn't us... Next time dont worry about looking like a douche (whether picking up your wheels or your whip from the valet) inspect that bitch and throw a fit if anything is wrong. Once you leave theres nothing you can do.

on the other hand I surely hope you can get those jackasses to fix it for you!

#16 ·
That Happens All The Time Guys With These Rims With Tubes In Them My March Wheels Even Did It With A Car Tire Charger And A Soft Rubber Head On The Machine No Way Around It..its Worse On Mx Bikes Or 12 Inch Cyclones Using Tire Spoons

#17 ·
Totally off topic, but Weston22s; I find your posts very difficult to read. Is that a computer setting that capitalizes every word?

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm just saying.

On topic: Change your own tires. It's relatively easy, saves money, and if the rims do get fucked up, you know who to blame ;)

#18 ·
I took them to a second installer yesterday, and he said that shouldn't have happened either if they used proper tools.
My uncles who works at a dealership that sells custom choppers said they did custom painted rims all the time for people and have never messed a set up during the installation.
And the dunlops being put on these excels with the talon hubs didnt mess them up either.
And whats thepoint of wheel protectors if they dont work?

#19 ·
In addition to using the right tools, the installer needs to be using them correctly. If the rims gets scratched or damaged then the tools were not used correctly. It's pretty simple. Anyone who says that there is not a way to change tires on anodized rims without causing damage to them is wrong because there ARE ways to do it without any damage happening.

#22 ·
+2 on checking your shit before you leave the shop.

True story: a group of us were on a ride in Southern Maryland in July, We did a little offroading and then headed to the local bike shop (one guy's bike was leaking a little oil!). While bullshitting at the shop, we noticed that me rear Pilot Power was going flat. Further ispection revealed that I had picked up a rusty nail right in the center of the tire. We were 40 miles away from the trucks and I was 75 miles away from home so I was at the mercy of the shop. He told me it would be 1-2 hours and $130 to fix it:rant:. What was I gonna do, I told them to fix the damn thing and the rest of the guys continued to ride while I waited for the bike to be done. After 3 hours (the "mechanic" needed to have his lunch break too apparently:headscrat), I was told to pay and then proceeded to go around to the garage side to pick up my bike. Luckily, I did my pre-ride inspection and questioned the "mechanic" about the tire pressure. While inspecting my rear tire, I noticed that the F$ck!ng nail was still stuck in the tire. WTF? The "mechanic" says to me "They didn't say nothin' bout' no nail". So I waitied for another half hour for these idiots to extract this rusted 16 penny (yes, 16 penny nail, 3 inches long!) from my tire without popping the newly mounted tube. In this instance, I was at the mercy of the shop, but I am going to but a set of rim protectors and three tire spoons and change my own from this point on:thumbup:

Attachments

#25 ·
all good advice.

The shop wasnt a large dealership, and the guy said when I called them yesterday that hed been changing tires fro 30 years and there wasnt no way around it.

Anyway when I got there, I went and spoke to the co managers owner people, got them to come look at the wheels, and all they said they could do it "smooth out the burrs" in my gouged aluminum, and "touch it up with black gloss paint."

He even went on to say I should have known that they would be scratched, and when he told me there wasn't anyway around no scratching the wheels. I told him I spoke with another installer yesterday, as well as, my uncle who both said the exact opposite.
He also said I was liable for letting them change the tire, shit was crazy.

In the end I told him I wanted my wheels to be how they were when I brought them in, scratch free, and he said they could have been like this before, I said they were stock tires that were taken off, and he said the stock tires covered the scratches before, and with the new contis they were shown.

Finally I told him I spoke with my attorney and was advised if this issue cant be resolved, I should seek legal action, and they'll be receiving a letter next week.

Thats where things stand. I dont think by any means they can damage the finish on both of my wheels, and think its not their fault. I was hesitant at first, but after his list of denials, it was very infuriating.

#50 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Read

The shop wasnt a large dealership, and the guy said when I called them yesterday that hed been changing tires fro 30 years and there wasnt no way around it.

Anyway when I got there, I went and spoke to the co managers owner people, got them to come look at the wheels, and all they said they could do it "smooth out the burrs" in my gouged aluminum, and "touch it up with black gloss paint."

He even went on to say I should have known that they would be scratched, and when he told me there wasn't anyway around no scratching the wheels. I told him I spoke with another installer yesterday, as well as, my uncle who both said the exact opposite.
He also said I was liable for letting them change the tire, shit was crazy.

In the end I told him I wanted my wheels to be how they were when I brought them in, scratch free, and he said they could have been like this before, I said they were stock tires that were taken off, and he said the stock tires covered the scratches before, and with the new contis they were shown.

#28 ·
You can do whatever you want with your motorcycles and let people take advantage of you all your life.

Those wheels cost $1400 and didnt have a scratch on them yesterday morning.

I like my drz looking nice, I take care of the things I own. I didn't come on here to cry, I was asking if anyone else has experienced similar situations with their excel wheels, or if the shop is as shady as it seems.
And taking legal action is the only alternative to people who are trying to fuck you.
Keep your negativity to yourself.

#29 ·
first off the best option was to use a sharpie. but you rather ask for 1400 for new wheels. that is stupid. there is nothing wrong with keeping you stuff nice, but look at the big picture its a dirtbike and will get scratched. use a sharpie or go back to your sissy streetbikes. Nobody will even notice the sharpied pube hair size scratch on your DRZ while you persue to starbucks to get a chi latte....extra whip

#30 ·
look clown, you obviously cant understand being taken advantage of, or noticing it when it happens to you, which is fine, im not worried about you, or that you let it happen. I dont use my drz as a dirt bike, so im not okay with the wheels being damaged by a shop who doesnt care that theyve done so.
Pube size scratch? you must be blind also, the scratches cover the circumference of both wheels.
Drinking coffee doesnt have anything to do with being played, and im sorry im not such a manly man as you are.

#31 ·
Dude You Wanna Whaaa Burger With Those French Cries? Perhaps A Little Cheese With That Wine? Its A Supermoto. Forget Starbucks, And Hit The Pavement Like A Man. Look At It This Way, The Scratches On Your Rims Make It Look Like You Actually Ride.

#32 · (Edited)
not crying or whining, telling people what happened is all.
I didnt buy my sm for people to think I ride, I could care less if anyone thinks im riding through gravel and scratching my wheels.
get your hate on somewhere else.

*im also not looking for anew set of $1400 wheels, only the rims that they damaged

#33 ·
Ok so 450 + building the wheel and truing. So about 650 that could be fixed with a .99 sharpie. Call it being played or whatever your just being a Sally. Learn to change tires yourself that way when you scratch them you have nobody to blame. Instead of having someone else do work for ya and when everything isn't perfect you sue. I feel sorry for you dude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.