Heated grips for dirtbikes/tards

Thread: Heated grips for dirtbikes/tards

Default Heated grips for dirtbikes/tards

I just saw an ad for some heated grips for dirtbikes here or at Thumpertalk...or maybe it was in a catalog I threw out.
    But anyway they were just like these liners that fit under any grips you wanted and ran off your coil (if you don't have a battery) I suppose.

Anyone know where to find them, searching led me nowhere.

Advertisement

Here are the ones I have seen used by guys on a KTM site, they say they are better than some of the others. Install and ziptie the wires to the throttle tube so they don't come loose, then install grips. Guys say you can safety wire over them, just don't go crazy enough with it to cut through the grip.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm

I'll be getting some soon I think...

Gerry
    Last edited by Gerry McGinnis; 11-23-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    09 KTM 250SXF/SMR
    08 KTM 450XCF/SMR
    08 Honduh 150R
    Bunch of 100s.
    McGinnis Custom Knives

Thanks Gerry. Not the ones I saw but close enough.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Dual Star can be hit or miss, do an ADVR search on it. The maker is symtec and can be found directly at Symtec-inc.com

I called directly and got the elements for about $35 shipped with out the two position switch as I have them already or can get them cheaper locally.

Be sure to insulate the left side from heat loss into the bar, they can be worthless if you don't do that.

+1 on the symtec. I've heard they are of better quality. I have a version similar to dual-star that I got from KTM hard parts. They have worked great for 2 years. I've had to replace a couple of switches and some heat sinks that give the elements "low" setting. All and all maybe $20 for replacement parts but the elements under the grips have not failed.

Symtec's are supposed to have right and left specific elements to compensate for the thicker rubber on the left grip.
    ~Tim

"04 625 SXC
    '04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
    '97 CR500 SOLD

The only ones I can get locally in time for the weekend ride is a set by Moose, I hope they're not as crappy as the YZ stator they're known for.

Goose- I have been running the Moose heated grip for three years and they work fine. The one issue with all heat tape type warmers is the throttle tube. The tube does not allow the bar to warm up as well as the left side. When I installed the kit I put electrical tape on the left side to help even the heating. Also, wrap clear package tape around both elements so you don't damage them when you want to do a grip change. Works like a champ!!!!!!!!!!
    supermoto freedom available @ www.misupermoto.com
    05 DRZ400sm with all the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Z400smk5 View Post
    Goose- I have been running the Moose heated grip for three years and they work fine. The one issue with all heat tape type warmers is the throttle tube. The tube does not allow the bar to warm up as well as the left side. When I installed the kit I put electrical tape on the left side to help even the heating. Also, wrap clear package tape around both elements so you don't damage them when you want to do a grip change. Works like a champ!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Z400smk5 and everyone else, got it wired up tonight and will try 'em out tomorrow.

Goose, I ALMOST bought some Trackside ones today at Cyclegear... man I hope I don't regret not getting them! I got to thinking of the hassle of finidng power on the KTM and... well I didn't get them.

Let us know how they work...
    09 KTM 250SXF/SMR
    08 KTM 450XCF/SMR
    08 Honduh 150R
    Bunch of 100s.
    McGinnis Custom Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry McGinnis View Post
    Goose, I ALMOST bought some Trackside ones today at Cyclegear... man I hope I don't regret not getting them! I got to thinking of the hassle of finidng power on the KTM and... well I didn't get them.

Let us know how they work...
    The last sub-60deg ride I did I was wishing for some. You still have time.

Default Some pics of the grips

Wiring harness I put together

Leads coming out from under the grips

Homemade switch bracket

All done

For a cabnet maker you wire pretty good!
    Last edited by muxherdlr; 11-26-2009 at 10:33 AM.
    09 Kawasaki KLX 450R
    2006 DRZ 400 SM SOLD
    1998 RM 250 SOLD
    Suspension by:
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

Thanks Mux.

So how well do they work? I'll be putting some on my bikes for sure in a few weeks if they work pretty good!

Gerry
    09 KTM 250SXF/SMR
    08 KTM 450XCF/SMR
    08 Honduh 150R
    Bunch of 100s.
    McGinnis Custom Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry McGinnis View Post
    So how well do they work?
    No running test yet, just static while in the shop. I was gonna take 'er out for a short one this evening but the battery was dead from all the testing with the motor off.

so whats the verdic?

i originally found this to be stupid, but it just got soo cold down here in texas! i mean it was like 100degrees 2days ago and now it's 40degrees and rainning and i was like, yup i need some heated grips when i get my bike running cause im riding with motocross gloves with kevlar knuckles so im gonna have cold hands... so im waiting to find out how this works!
    1993 Cr500r
    educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis!
    levels of insaity:
    1 - talks to self 2 - argues with self 3 - loses argument with self 4 - is no longer speaking to self

Works very well but I should have done more to insulate the left side as I was warned. I put a few wraps of electrical tape on that side but it wasn't enough to equal the plastic of the throttle tube on the right side. So when I switched the grips on 'high' my right hand got too hot but on 'low' my left hand was too cold. I'm gonna redo the left side with insulated duct tape, then I'll be good running the system on low I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosedog View Post
    Works very well but I should have done more to insulate the left side as I was warned. I put a few wraps of electrical tape on that side but it wasn't enough to equal the plastic of the throttle tube on the right side. So when I switched the grips on 'high' my right hand got too hot but on 'low' my left hand was too cold. I'm gonna redo the left side with insulated duct tape, then I'll be good running the system on low I believe.
    Occurs to me that insulating the left side may not be the issue. The rubber on the left grip is probably close to twice as thick. That is why Symtec's have right and left specific elements. My next .02¢

Anyone out there with Symtec's that can say if their heat is even with them. I have a another brand that does the same as yours. Still some heat is better than none.
    ~Tim

"04 625 SXC
    '04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
    '97 CR500 SOLD

have HOT GRIPS on my 98 councourse still work fine,and will run of the headlight of a dirtbike. dennis kirk ?? the grips from cycle gear work great !! had them on my whifes bulle. my wrx will get a set for ice raceing !!! great stuff !

Has anyone tried Dual Star's suggestion of thick heat shrink tubing and a throttle grip on the clutch side? Seems to make sense. Just checking before I order some.

I just installed these on my '07 450 using the power from the little side bulb and I was just wondering how long it took yours to warm up? I ran my bike with them on high for a couple minutes and it felt like they were warming up slowly so I was wondering if that's normal or if they should get warmer quicker?
    2007 Husqvarna SMR 450

Default electrical output

Does the DRZ (or any of the other bikes for that matter) actually have the excess electrical output to run heated grips? Or will you be draining the battery while doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by yetimcclin View Post
    Does the DRZ (or any of the other bikes for that matter) actually have the excess electrical output to run heated grips? Or will you be draining the battery while doing so?
    Not sure about the DRZ but the 610 which the OP has (or any 610 for that matter…), has enough electrical power to run this and more simultaneously

I have them on my DRZ and I have not had any problems with running the battery down at all. Of course I have not ridden long distances in the cold, not fun for this skinny guy. The heated grips in combination with my neoprene gloves equals toasty fingers. They were on the bike when I bought it so I have no clue as to what brand they are but I love them. Get some...what is it going to hurt?
    '06 drz400sm

There are enough rude people in this world I don't need to be one of them!!!

I used electrical tape on my left bar, first one I didn't do enough layers, and it still didn't heat up as quick as the right. Second time I doubled the layers so it was as thick as the throttle tube, and now they're pretty damn close when they heat up. The grip will still stretch enough to fit over the tape with grip glue acting as lube when it's still wet, lock wired for good measure, just don't do the wire too tight. You can now get the elements on eBay from China for like 6 bucks. I paid 50 for the dual star copies from Vince Strang Motorcycles here in Oz. I suppose you get what you pay for.
    2004 'Berg FS650E : Rebuilt with 05 crank for 628cc, genuine Berg slipper, Taffy's DVSK & decomp, Taffy's jet kit, SSB Lithium battery, Starlane quickshifter, 16mm Brembo radial master & 6 pot Beringer

The DRZ SM has enough power to run the heated grips. I ran mine through a relay to keep from draining the battery if I forgot to turn them off with the bike.

To help the insulation problem on the left grip in the past I used large diameter heat shrink around the handlebar. You have to glue it down or tape it down on the ends though otherwise it spins easy. You can pick up the larger shrink wrap for cheap from harbor freight.

Here are two helpful articles on wiring a relay and installing heated grips:
    http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php
    http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/ge...-grips-alt.php
    KTM 450 SMR

I knew about the relay...I'm running one with my SV1000's heated grips. I just wanted to make sure the DRZ would run 'em. Sounds like it will. SWEET! I know what I'm gettin' for Christmas!

Put them on a switched line,i use a headlight lead but that depends on your bike. That way you will never forgett to shut them off.They will kill your battery quick. Nice thing about the light is it had its own fuse and is big enough to handle the extra load.
    Also check to see if you have a power point in the harness that is switched,comes on when you turn the key.

I prefer to run a relay off the headlight and run a dedicated, fused line for the grips. That's what I did for my SV and that's what I'll be doing for my DRZ. Same advantage of not having to worry if you turned them off or not, but without having to run that much extra load on the headlight line.

Advertisement