SuperMoto Junkie banner

carpet kit in a bed of a truck?

14K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  GofastR 
#1 ·
so i bought this truck of mine cause it has a carpet kit in the bed with a seat and speakers and such...well i bought this truck before i bought my bike. i have a motorcycle trailer but it is wayyyy to big for my tiny truck. :rolleyes2:

so ive been thinking about trying to find a single motorcycle trailer but idk how well my trucks going to do pulling a trailer far distances.

i got rear ended about a month or so ago and my trucks going to the shop to get it fixed and the shop had told me they are going to have to remove my carpet kit. so ive been thinking about ripping it out and be able to take off my camper shell when i want to haul my bike around. ive just been thinking about it too much and need some input. here is an old picture of the back of my truck.

so what do you guys think...im leaning on pulling out the carpet and seat.

See less See more
#2 ·
...so what do you guys think...
I would say do a good "mental accessment" before making a decision. In other words, be sure you figure-out which is going to be the hardest to live without. Regret can be a horrible thing.

I know that's probably not much help. However, most of us are not familiar with your lifestyle...

Maybe you "lay pipe", with two sluts, four days a week in the back...and ride your bike once a month. If that's the case, I say re-carpet the "bedroom" and "HAPPY PLUMBING!"

If you've grown tired of your bed, because it is just wasted space, then (by all means) pull that stuff out, bed-line it, and haul that bike wherever you wish.

I'm from Texas. Must of "us" are not camper people. Plus, for many of us, it would be hard to get the camper around the headache rack, toolbox, gooseneck hitch, etc.

I guess that's my long way of telling you...Scrap the carpet and use your bed for your bike.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.:thumbup:

#4 ·
Maybe you "lay pipe", with two sluts, four days a week in the back...and ride your bike once a month. If that's the case, I say re-carpet the "bedroom" and "HAPPY PLUMBING!"

hahaha everyone always says that! i have a bed in my room and a shower that does that job....when i get loving in my truck its while im rolling....:coffee: never did anything back there so far....

that seat isnt bolted down. the seat belts are. i really only use that when i carry some people but i really dont like doing that and when i go camping. that seat folds down and boom. i have a bed....idk if its legal here in cali. but i was thinking about trying just to take the side panels off and leave the carpet on the floor and just throw a piece of ply wood on the carpet. but i dont want it to be half ass ya know? i wish i had my old diesel still...then i wouldnt have this problem....o wait...how would i get my bike this bed....

haha. i miss that truck. you guys got trucks that big in texas?

back to the point.....i need my campershell to be on cause thats where i hold my random stuff....like my skateboard backpack and what not. since i only have a single cab...so i would need to make it removable and what not.

#3 ·
i agree. texas pride, ripe that crap out, and make room for the tool box, headache rack, caps, and of course stacks but ur's obviously isn't a v10 or a diesel other wise u wouldn't even have this!

but i agree, if u use the seat more then u use the bike then keep the carpet.
but if u want to hall the bike around more then u use the seat then pull the carpet.

my questions is why can't u just bed line the truck, pull the carpet out but keep it intack, and keep the box but just take it off. that way u can take off the box and pull the carpet out and unbolt the seat and throw the bike in. when the bike hauling is dome, re bolt the seat, put the carpet back on the bed linner and re bolt the box!
is this not possible. sorry as stated before, down here in texas not much camping going on out side of a pick up, let alone even dare put a box on our pick ups!

#5 ·
Make the top/seats/seat belts all removable and easy to clip in and out. Change the seat out to a van one with arm rests. Then get some carpet or a rug and cut it to the shape of the bottom, then you wouldn't really need it on the sides. As for the speakers just side the window open and you can hear the tunes or throw a portable battery powered radio in it.

#9 ·
hahahahaha. that truck was sick. 93 f350 turbo diesel...not powerstroke. its an idi. ats turbo and torque converter. 44 inch swampers. 6 inch suspension left. 3 inch body lift. 4:10 gears. the engine was still being broken in with only 21000 on the new engine. i loved that truck but i got about 3 gallons to the mile....

#19 ·
44 inch swampers.

4:10 gears.

uhmmm... 4:10's with stock tires... You're running about a 3:50 or HIGHER gear there...

Don't know, or care what the stock tire size was, or I'd tell you exactly what gear you were running...

A 10th of a gear for every 1". You do the math.

50hp....sweet!

:laughingr Yeah, but 60mpg? SWEET! :lol:

#10 ·
sweet i bought my bro a '84 ford f250 turbo w/ dually axle but no dually flairs, ats aftermarket turbo, after market dual range low/high gear.

but here u go
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1546522443.html

that is a sick truck... 44in swampers, 6in suspension, and a 3in body lift. not bad not many of those trucks still runnig around on the road. we have a bunch like that for off road only down here.
i was on the highway satruday and saw a dually ford f350 about a '97 turbo powerstroke dually with a 6in lift. not really sure why it had a lift but it was a monster!

#11 ·
where i live theres a bunch of bro fucking dozers with duramax diesels jacked up sky high with stock wheels and tires. looks fucking stupid. my ex girlfriend and i would roll around town and some bro would try to race me...7.3 liter idi pushing 7 1/2 pounds of boost went pretty fast with swampers on it but i could never win a drag race. anyway we had signs that said...why dont we take this race into the mud?! or something stupid like that..no one ever accepted my challenge. still in my little ranger no one will still take my challenge. they dont want to get their nice wheels dirty. did a few "mud bog" comps in that truck but all the mud was just water and sand...

my dad has an 01 f350 dually that ima get off of him when he doesnt want it anymore. the only thing that sucks is its 2wd! and auto.

#13 ·
i got one of those for free when i bought my first bike...but the dude had cut it and extended it with the wrong type of steel and i dont trust it worth a damn. i had my old bike on it for about two minutes until i called someone to come get me. so i dont trust them. but if i bought a real good one do they work well?

#16 ·
u could always make one.

i have a single axle with 14" wheels 4lug in the back yard, that my dad wants to build a small utility tilt trailer, and honestly if u look at the design it isn't hard to build a trailer as long as u have a cutting tool and a welder!

im going to college in a vw bug. so im gonna get a extra set of vw wheels with spindels on them and make a trailer to hold the bike and my gear. and ill weld on a trailer hitch mount on the bug. ill start that project in the summer too.
consider i can get the wheels and spindles for free or like $20, plus medal... so less then $200 and u can build a small trailer urself! :thumbup:

#20 ·
Tell me again why a 1996 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 5 speed 4x4 five inch lift and 31 inch BFG mud terrain tires won't pull a 1,000 to 1500 lb trailer again?

You could always either, re-gear it, for the gears it's supposed to have

OR...

Put smaller tires on it and get the gear back it's supposed to have.

Don't see why it won't pull now? Lots of hills in Texas?

#22 · (Edited)
i dont live in texas. i live in cali. ive thought about regearing it but i dont want to put all that money into it when im trucks on its way out....i had the money and was going to do it when i was into trucks....now im into supermoto and thats were that money went. its at stock gearing.

i did put smaller tires on it.

i can tow the trailer i have now....its not mine its my dads for his harley and its a big ass trailer for my little truck. with my lift, tires, and gearing it bogs down terrible. already as it is i cant put my truck into 5th gear on the freeway. theres just no power. bogs down way too much. so i just run a 4 speed. so when i have my trailer hooked to my truck im running 3rd gear really high just to keep moving. throw it in 4th and its not going anywhere. we call the 3.0v6 the 3.slow. and no my truck isnt that big of a pile because that was my baby before i got my bike. ive taken care of it and done everything i can to give it more power. minus the regearing. the only thing i could do is take the lift off and get stock tires. which is not happening.

#21 ·
I have a 93 3.0 ranger as well...that thing is a turd. Reliable as all get out but gutless. Has bigger tires but not quite a 31in i think. Feels fast compared to my diesel...but that thing does get about 55-60 mpg

#23 ·
On the cheap... I'd find out if Ferd offered any lower gears for your make of truck, like say for an Auto Trans, then I'd hunt some down like at a pull-a-part and just bolt them in.

But I'm a Toyota guy, all we have to do is the chunks, I believe you'd have to replace the whole diff.

Look for a wreck or part out... Might can do it cheap.

#24 · (Edited)
bitch bitch bitch... that seems like the only thing americans can do when it come to the power of their motors...

if it wasn't the power, it'd be the fuel economy... trust me. I drove a (Turd Ranger) 4.0 around and read up on it on the internet. Everybody BITCHED about how bad the economy was...

bitch bitch bitch...

Buy a goddamn Mack or International 466!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.