rt 129/deals gap closed

Thread: rt 129/deals gap closed

Default rt 129/deals gap closed

My brother and I rode down from cincy over the weekend. I knew there had been a rockslide and rt 129 was closed just south of the entrance to the foot hills pkwy. We figured you could just access the road from the south. I guess thurs or friday they put a gaurdrail across the road at the tn/nc line with a camper and a gaurd 24/7. rumor is it will be closed a couple of months.
    We laughed, if we had our tards and a small boat we coulda bypassed the road block on the north side and had the road to ourselves.

Advertisement

Sorry that happened to you guys...There has been discussion go to post #70 http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...t=95084&page=2 Wish admis would put up a stickey or something to warn everyone that has plans to go there....
    09 Kawasaki KLX 450R
    2006 DRZ 400 SM SOLD
    1998 RM 250 SOLD
    Suspension by:
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

Items for Sale

Hate that you guys drove all the way down for that man. I feel for the folks at the store, and everyone else over there that depends on the traffic coming through to make a living. I hate that the SMJ rally probably won't happen this year. Other than that, I got much better riding 5 minutes from home.
    www.FastBikeIndustries.com
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler
    '08 DRZ 400sm - FCR, E cams, SSW / MRD, Tuned by Wheeler
    '02 XR 50 - 1/4 scale stunt bike

5. Remove Advertisements
    SuperMotoJunkie.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Hate that you guys drove all the way down for that man. I feel for the folks at the store, and everyone else over there that depends on the traffic coming through to make a living. I hate that the SMJ rally probably won't happen this year. Other than that, I got much better riding 5 minutes from home.
    No problem. we didnt really go down for the "gap". we went down for the WoO sprints at Volounteer speedway and thought while we were in the area we would stop in.

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
    No problem. we didnt really go down for the "gap". we went down for the WoO sprints at Volounteer speedway and thought while we were in the area we would stop in.
    Nice, W.O.O. races are BADASS!
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler

so what you really mean to say is the SMJ rally is still on, just not at the gap
    I have a 2 wheel addiction
    05 KTM 625 SMC <street/dirt fun>
    09 KTM 200 XCW <woods fun>
    12 Trek Fuel EX8 <MTB fun>
    ?? Czar Mod (20") <Bike Trials fun>

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    so what you really mean to say is the SMJ rally is still on, just not at the gap
    I already took the week off, let's ride. Sent you a PM.

How 'bout you guys over at the Dragon that are in the know, post up whatever news you can whenever you can. Thanks

Repost from the SMJ at Deals thread.

Everyone please send an email to these addys from the Save the Gap website. Reference the tourist dollars that are being lost in todays tough economy and after such a harsh winter. No threats please...

Theres a big meeting this Fri between NC, Tenn, the Gap, Fontana Village, etc. In the meantime, please send some emails. It can only help towards the meeting.

http://www.dealsgap.com/save-the-gap/index.html
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" -Johnny Cash

"Its a long way to the top..if you wanna rock & roll" -AC/DC

here is the email i got back from TDOT.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the road closure of U.S. 129 in Blount County. Governor Bredesen has forwarded your e-mail to the TDOT Region One Office for review and a response.

The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) has been actively addressing the safety issues that are present on the 11 mile stretch of U.S. 129, known as the “Tail of the Dragon” for the past 3 years. This section of roadway has experienced crash rates that are above the state averages and TDOT, in cooperation with the Governor’s Highway Safety Office, has addressed those safety issues by combining roadway improvements with enhanced traffic enforcement.

The roadway is currently closed from the North Carolina border to near the Chilhowee Dam due to a rock slide that occurred on Sunday, March 14, 2010. Due to the complexity and severity of the rock slide, law enforcement and emergency crews have very limited emergency access to the roadway. The instability and repair work to the slide could hinder response time to any accidents or emergencies that could happen on the 318 curve, 11 mile stretch of roadway.

Limited emergency access, increased response time to emergencies and a priority for safety to motorists led to the decision to temporarily close U.S. 129 in Tennessee.

Due to the winter weather that East Tennessee and Western North Carolina has experienced over the past few months, rock slides have become prevalent in our mountainous regions. TDOT has worked very closely with NCDOT during the past few months to maintain open communication between our two states during the road closures. Our Transportation and Tourism Departments remain in close contact to relay the most current and consistent information to the public as it becomes available regarding detours and alternate routes around the slide areas. We are very aware of the impacts that these types of disasters have on local communities, and our TDOT employees and contractors are diligently working to be able to reopen these vital corridors between North Carolina and Tennessee.

While our Safety Departments in Tennessee and North Carolina have been in contact, no official offer from North Carolina has been received to provide emergency response or law enforcement services in Tennessee. Further, North Carolina law enforcement would not have legal jurisdiction in the state of Tennessee and therefore could not provide enforcement or legal action in Tennessee.

TDOT is continuing to assess the situation and is in the process of completing a stabilization plan for the rock slide. Efforts to complete an emergency contract are in the final stages but there is not a timeline for repairs to begin at this time.

The “Tail of the Dragon” is an asset to our great State and it is our desire to return it to public access as soon as safety permits. Meanwhile, temporary detours around the rock slide area have been established.

We regret any inconvenience this closure may cause; however, the safety of the traveling public remains our top priority. For updates on the rockslide closure, please visit our website at www.tdot.state.tn.us.

Sincerely,

Steven M. Borden, P.E.
    Regional Director
    TDOT – Region One
    It is not the Bill of Needs.
    Bear those arms, America!
    Facebook

here is the contact number for the NC safety Dept. that he is referring too.

North Carolina Crime Control and Public Safety
    Captain David McCoy or Lt. James Wingo at 828-298-4253
    It is not the Bill of Needs.
    Bear those arms, America!
    Facebook

Any pictures? Can't they just get some dozers out there? Maybe roadway improvements mean some air bags in some of the corners or a catch netting would be nice. At least the crashes are "mostly" single vehicle and it's "usually" the individual that assumes the risk and pays the consequences of his/her own actions. Bit me twice. Hope they get it straight soon for the local communities sake.
    A 59 Dennis Miller
    '12 SX350F - '11 EXC450 dirt
    '12 YFZ450R - '08 Pitster X4 150 dirt
    '07 KX450F s/m & '09 CRF150R s/m/dirt
    '05 GSXR 600 track (Nesba)

There's gonna be hell to pay $$$ when they get that road open...

Gotta make up for lost revenues and such...

And alllllll those bikers with cabin fever

oh dear!
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehall View Post
    Your wife is going to kick your ass for ruining her brownie pan!
    Sweet bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mmulisha1022 View Post
    WIFE!?? Dude screw that noise. I am 22, not for another 4 years or so.
    Haha thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehall View Post
    Your MOM is going to kick your ass for ruining her brownie pan.

It's been open for a while now and they STILL aren't totally recovered yet.....

When we were there 3 weeks ago it was still pretty dead ( during the week ). The weekends were busy still though so maybe it's all good!
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!" -Steve Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Your point of view is so wonderful, and I feel very interesting. I have a lot of immature idea where you get the answer, I will continue to focus on your posts, I hope you can continue to update, I will put my views and ideas to share with you.
    Green Weight Loss Tea
    p57 hoodia
    Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts
    Men's Ralph Lauren Shorts
    You asshole. Go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Your point of view is so wonderful, and I feel very interesting. I have a lot of immature idea where you get the answer, I will continue to focus on your posts, I hope you can continue to update, I will put my views and ideas to share with you.
    Green Weight Loss Tea
    p57 hoodia
    Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts
    Men's Ralph Lauren Shorts

hey mods you see why ppl are getting upset.. maybe do a picture and make new ppl i.d it....

like most every other forums.
    09 drz.. she's always faithful,
    riding game/ 8 completed/ 1 snipe

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool63 View Post
    You asshole. Go away.
    I don't know man, immature ideas make me feel wonderful too. Let's let him stick around and see where he puts his views and ideas.

He's back.

Let's all go to your house then.
    How we BRAAAAPP! in life echoes in eternity

Why is this still a sticky?
    http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...905_035653.jpg

Join the riding game!
    Challenges Met - I lost count a long time ago!

Yeah, this can be removed as a sticky thread
    Planning or looking to join a group ride? Check out GroupRider!

'09 Suzuki DRZ400sm (FCR 39mm, Full Yoshi RS-2, Hotcams, 3x3, Kick Start Kit)
    '08 Yamaha WR250x (HMF, WR250r Wheels, Flapper Mod)
    Sold: '09 Husqvarna SM510r, '07 Honda CBR600rr, '02 KTM 400 EXC

Advertisement