SuperMoto Junkie banner

450SMR add-ons...

8K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  HUSKY530RR 
#1 ·
Thought I would snap some picts of some of the cheap add-ons you can make yourself or buy and try to dig up the web links to make it easier for those who have one of these great bikes and want some add-ons (Sliver).

First....

http://www.acerbis.com/

or

http://pitposse.com/pohagu.html

Ok..so part of what you see here is that I've inserted a long joining nut (you can find them in the hardware store next to the threaded rods....like I've used on my fork sliders you'll see below.)

Anyhow, you have to grind down the edges of the nut so it is just bigger than the opening in the bar...then POUND it in (I tapered mine a little so the nut would slip in about 1/4 of the way and then stop...then hammer away). Instant threads to mount the handguards. All of which is much easier than trying to drill the bars and cheaper than buying new bars. But still, you'll need access to some basic tools....grinding wheel, or a vice and a Dremel.

You'll also need to grind down the part that would normally insert into the bar (bottom picture). Here is the cut down part and the un-cut down part.

See less See more
#2 ·
And here are some frame slides I made. Though you could spend just a little more dosh and buy a nice set from www.motostrano.com .
their's are around $70 dollars. Mine were $40. I would have purchased theirs, but I already had some bar end sliders in need of a home.

You'll need a belt sander or other type grinder, a vice and a good drill, to grind off bits of the sliders you don't want and then to drill a hole in it large enough to slide in the long joiner screws.

Here's some photos I hope explain it a little.

On the bottom photo...see the looooong nut. That is the "long joiner nut" I've been going on about. I used two on each side of each frame slider. Basically the order is, nut on the very end of the treaded rod, then slip a slider over that and back it up with another nut to lock everything down. I know it's a bad description, but it's all I've got.

#3 ·
Ok...need a mirror?

Here is one that will make the police happy but won't work worth a dam. but hey, they fold out of the way quickly and easily.

http://www.acerbis.com/

You could also just pick up a standard mirror and screw it right into the mounts provided on the stock bike. Those are just so big and bulky though.

#5 ·
omg, are you my hero? thank you so much!

i have an additional question though, regarding the kickstand. the spring loaded action is actually slamming it against my swingarm and has ripped the graphics there plus maybe scratched it a bit. not a big deal but hope it can just be adjusted and everyone leaves it alone to keep it from getting worse until i get it done. but deep in my heart i know there's no chance of that.

#7 ·
sliver said:
...regarding the kickstand. the spring loaded action is actually slamming it against my swingarm and has ripped the graphics there plus maybe scratched it a bit. not a big deal but hope it can just be adjusted and everyone leaves it alone to keep it from getting worse until i get it done. but deep in my heart i know there's no chance of that.
Easy fix though one I've not done it.

Put the bike on a bike-stand. Remove the springs from the sidestand. unbolt the sidestand. replace the long funky bolt with a normal hardware store kind. Now the spring has nothing to wrap around so it wont auto-retract on you.

As to its desire to swipe the side-panel a little. I just control it with my foot, so it never slams up and that seems to do the trick. And mine does not even come close to hitting my swingarm, maybe yours (sidestand) is loose? Talk to your dealer ( I hate those four words...sorry. But I would be all over them to sort it. It's possible the mount is welded a little off)

#8 ·
UPDATE: 42 tooth rear sprocket.

This is a simple must for anyone running their moto on the street.

RPMs drop to an almost comfortable rythm when cruising in the 50-60mph zone, and it still has pleanty of get up and go. I no longer find that I want a seventh gear for cruising.

#9 ·
Sil Motor Exhaust

It's entirely subjective, I know, but I just installed a Sil full system on my 450 this weekend and don't feel it's too loud at all. Maybe my hearing's failing, but it doesn't seem loud enough to worry about getting popped. I also installed the TC jet kit and it runs great.

As for gearing, I added one tooth to the countershaft (16 instead of 15) in addition to a 42 tooth rear, and I don't feel my bike's overgeared. It's still not too comfortable on the freeway - I have a bigger bike for that - but it's much nicer around town and first gear sure doesn't seem too high. I also installed a couple of mirrors from Dennis Kirk that thread into the threaded mounts (both are normal threads - the right's not reversed like a ducati monster). They look like "old style" monster mirrors, and they work great.

#10 ·
asg21 said:
It's entirely subjective, I know, but I just installed a Sil full system on my 450 this weekend and don't feel it's too loud at all. Maybe my hearing's failing, but it doesn't seem loud enough to worry about getting popped. I also installed the TC jet kit and it runs great.

As for gearing, I added one tooth to the countershaft (16 instead of 15) in addition to a 42 tooth rear, and I don't feel my bike's overgeared. It's still not too comfortable on the freeway - I have a bigger bike for that - but it's much nicer around town and first gear sure doesn't seem too high. I also installed a couple of mirrors from Dennis Kirk that thread into the threaded mounts (both are normal threads - the right's not reversed like a ducati monster). They look like "old style" monster mirrors, and they work great.
How fast can the bike go with the new gearing? Stock the thing pinned out at 80-81 mph so even doing 65 mph felt like I was winding the thing out.

#11 ·
speeds.

my husky 450r was toppin out at round 115mph with 16/43 combo, with still good pull down low...we (gp motorcycles) ran at street of willow last monday and ruined the advanced class egos(sorry guys!!!!) :laughingr

#13 ·
new Husky SM450r owner questions YAY!

gpmchusky said:
my husky 450r was toppin out at round 115mph with 16/43 combo, with still good pull down low...we (gp motorcycles) ran at street of willow last monday and ruined the advanced class egos(sorry guys!!!!) :laughingr
So with that front and rear sprocket set-up any ideas what the RPM were? okay one more question, front sprocket: more teeth means leaverage for the motor right? The rear is simple the smaller it is the higher speeds the bigger the more zippy it gets but top end suffers.. Just trying to see if it's worth getting an extra front sprocket as well... okay I lied one more question.. needle jet and the needle seat, what size works best? I had a baggy of pilots, main and a needle with a couple of seats.. I went 175 main / 40 pilot but didnt touch the rest... okay no more questions.... for now :D

#14 ·
wanna get a sm450r !

Hey Siam.
I am in SF and want to get a sm450r husky...
I tried searching and stuff but if you could tell me how easy it was to get street-legal I'd appreciate it.
also, for freeway - what kind of speed/range is practical/possible?
And, of course.. price.. can you give me any idea about how much you got it for and how much maintenance it requires? I'm so broke I'm gonna sell my R6 and try to buy one second-hand but I doubt that would be likely. hehe

sorry for the tons of questions, but thanks a lot!!!

#20 ·
Eric Landstrom said:
What did you do to get a brake light on your Husky SMR?
For the front, you'll need to get the Brembo microswitch that mounts to the master cylinder with two small screws. You can get this from www.yoyodyneti.com

For the rear, you can get a rear brake light switch that replaces the banjo bolt on the rear brake master cylinder. You can get this just about anywhere, like www.denniskirk.com If I recall correctly, its a 10mm x 1.0 thread pitch but check to make sure.

#21 ·
huskysm450r said:
For the front, you'll need to get the Brembo microswitch that mounts to the master cylinder with two small screws. You can get this from www.yoyodyneti.com

For the rear, you can get a rear brake light switch that replaces the banjo bolt on the rear brake master cylinder. You can get this just about anywhere, like www.denniskirk.com If I recall correctly, its a 10mm x 1.0 thread pitch but check to make sure.

Thanks for the tips. How'd you wire it all up? Just cut into the stock harness or does the harness have unused electrical plugs?

#22 ·
Eric Landstrom said:
Thanks for the tips. How'd you wire it all up? Just cut into the stock harness or does the harness have unused electrical plugs?
Had to do much of the wiring myself. The stock harness on my SM450R was pretty minimal, just a lead for the tailight, idiot lights and headlight. Had to wire up the brake light leads, turn signals, and horn myself. Also had to purchase an aftermarket left hand switch assembly for the headlight/horn/turnsignals. It would be a good idea to install fuses on both the alternator lead and battery lead. Make sure you wire up your lights to run off the alternator and not the battery.

#25 ·
Street legal SM450R

I didn't do any of the work myself, but based on what Isaac at GP Moto had already done I just had the shop rig up a front brake-only brakelight and skipped the turn signals. My rear (Acerbis?) tail light/fender attachment has turn signal bulbs, so it looks legal from the rear, but I didn't ask for them to be hooked up. I didn't want to clutter up the handlebar with extra switchgear, (there's not much room), and anyway I rode bikes for years without turn signals. I've passed and been passed by several cops without any problems - I think they generally have bigger fish to fry. I also picked up a longer (allen) bolt at Home Depot to replace the stock headlight adjustment screw so as not to blind passing pilots, and I asked the shop to install a hidden master switch (don't ask me where!!).

I guess I was more interested in gearing and a new pipe (plus a cool Renthal handlebar and Ferracci handlebar clamp) than strict legality. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

#26 ·
Nice, I was going to put my wiring and all but when I bought the bike Munroe didn't have the wire harness and it's been over a month and they still haven't called me WTF? so far I have broken in the bike in the Naval piers of Alameda. Not a bad place, this is where the Porsche club do their autocross and it's full of space. So until Munroe gets their act and get me my wiring harness I'm confined to a parking lot... :headshake frikin' wankers man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.