SuperMoto Junkie banner

450SMR add-ons...

8K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  HUSKY530RR 
#1 ·
Thought I would snap some picts of some of the cheap add-ons you can make yourself or buy and try to dig up the web links to make it easier for those who have one of these great bikes and want some add-ons (Sliver).

First....

http://www.acerbis.com/

or

http://pitposse.com/pohagu.html

Ok..so part of what you see here is that I've inserted a long joining nut (you can find them in the hardware store next to the threaded rods....like I've used on my fork sliders you'll see below.)

Anyhow, you have to grind down the edges of the nut so it is just bigger than the opening in the bar...then POUND it in (I tapered mine a little so the nut would slip in about 1/4 of the way and then stop...then hammer away). Instant threads to mount the handguards. All of which is much easier than trying to drill the bars and cheaper than buying new bars. But still, you'll need access to some basic tools....grinding wheel, or a vice and a Dremel.

You'll also need to grind down the part that would normally insert into the bar (bottom picture). Here is the cut down part and the un-cut down part.

See less See more
#27 ·
huskysm450r said:
Had to do much of the wiring myself. The stock harness on my SM450R was pretty minimal, just a lead for the tailight, idiot lights and headlight. Had to wire up the brake light leads, turn signals, and horn myself. Also had to purchase an aftermarket left hand switch assembly for the headlight/horn/turnsignals. It would be a good idea to install fuses on both the alternator lead and battery lead. Make sure you wire up your lights to run off the alternator and not the battery.
Thank you for the tips!

I swung by my Husky dealer today and according to the parts manager who is into enduros and trying to get his dealership more into Supermoto (I told him about this site), the '05 SMs are including a brake light switch on the rear. I shared the part numbers Husky lists for the micro switch up front and asked if the bike is already wired up for a front brake light.

Information is a bit sketchy since nobody has seen the '05s yet but the parts manager was going to get on it and get some answers out of his rep.

I also shared with the parts manager the idea that a Husky dealer should "package" a street legal bike and sell it over the internet and he seemed receptive to this idea. :thumbup:

#28 ·
Back to the gearing topic, what is the most ideal sprocket size that should be used for mainly urban riding, but some freeway cruising (max speed I will travel on freeway is around 60-65mph)? It sounds like throwing on a 42 rear may work well, but just thought I would double-check to see if I should be going bigger on the front as well.

Thanks! :)

#29 ·
vrecksler said:
Back to the gearing topic, what is the most ideal sprocket size that should be used for mainly urban riding, but some freeway cruising (max speed I will travel on freeway is around 60-65mph)? It sounds like throwing on a 42 rear may work well, but just thought I would double-check to see if I should be going bigger on the front as well.

Thanks! :)
It's an inexpensive swap and the 42 rear will change the bike just enough. I noticed a big difference anyhow. You wont be disappointed. And if it's still not enough pick up the front too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.