SuperMoto Junkie banner

Sm510r

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Eric Landstrom 
#1 ·
A couple of months ago I fell in love with the SM450R and planned to purchase one from my local dealer. Then I heard rumors of a SM510R and so I held off.

Today I called my dealer and asked what is the availability and the price for a SM510R. My dealer, the owner of the dealer, didn't know that Husky was making a SM510R and so I told him were to look on the husqvarnausa.com web site.

My dealer said, "Nice! Good thing Husky lets its dealers know what is going on."

Anyway, I'm hoping to learn if I can get a blue and yellow SM510 when the dealer calls me back next Monday. :D

BTW, does anybody know if somebody makes a slipper clutch for these things?

#2 ·
Go here (link below)....and maybe find another dealer. Husqvarna was making the bigger motos before the the 450s ever came along. But if your going to keep him(your dealer). =) then maybe give him the link below too, it sounds like he could use it.

And if size is the thing, why not go for the full zoot 630?

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/media/05_supermoto.htm

No matter which way you go, you wont be disappointed

#5 ·
SMR said:
Go here (link below)....and maybe find another dealer. Husqvarna was making the bigger motos before the the 450s ever came along. But if your going to keep him(your dealer). =) then maybe give him the link below too, it sounds like he could use it.

And if size is the thing, why not go for the full zoot 630?

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/media/05_supermoto.htm

No matter which way you go, you wont be disappointed
There is only one dealer for the whole state in my neck of the woods. Besides, the dealer let me take a bike out for a test ride and his prices seem very reasonable.

Regarding size: the 630 is too expensive and it doesn't have electric start. This last is a big deal to me because my L4 and L5 are fused and I gave my tweaked out SRX 600 to my brother after it literally started to hurt starting the thing. Nevertheless I miss having a thumper and I want a track toy. :)

Trackday Page

BTW, no word about a slipper clutch for the Husky SM450/510?

#6 ·
Eric Landstrom said:
There is only one dealer for the whole state in my neck of the woods. Besides, the dealer let me take a bike out for a test ride and his prices seem very reasonable.

Regarding size: the 630 is too expensive and it doesn't have electric start. This last is a big deal to me because my L4 and L5 are fused and I gave my tweaked out SRX 600 to my brother after it literally started to hurt starting the thing. Nevertheless I miss having a thumper and I want a track toy. :)

Trackday Page

BTW, no word about a slipper clutch for the Husky SM450/510?

Bah! You gave away your SRX 600? Your a good brother you are. Those bikes still look good today and they're what, 10-15 years old now?

I hear ya on wanting the magic button. It's fun kicking them for the macho factor...once. Then forget it.

The 450SMR is a great bike...very focused though, I mine gets about 40-50 miles on a tank, so plan you trips wisely. It's smooth as silk engine wise and the front end it pretty flighty/twitchy. So I'm guessing the 510 will feel much the same, and maybe be a tad bit more thirsty.

Good on your dealer for letting you have a test ride. =)

Good luck.

#7 ·
SMR said:
Bah! You gave away your SRX 600? Your a good brother you are. Those bikes still look good today and they're what, 10-15 years old now?

I hear ya on wanting the magic button. It's fun kicking them for the macho factor...once. Then forget it.

The 450SMR is a great bike...very focused though, I mine gets about 40-50 miles on a tank, so plan you trips wisely. It's smooth as silk engine wise and the front end it pretty flighty/twitchy. So I'm guessing the 510 will feel much the same, and maybe be a tad bit more thirsty.

Good on your dealer for letting you have a test ride. =)

Good luck.
A couple of months ago my dealer let me take his SM450 out for what wound up being about an hour. I flogged the thing. I didn't notice any twitchiness but then I'm 230-40 lbs in gear to. Slides were predictable, good front brake. Third gear ride-'em-over-the-horizon-wheelies. Near as I can tell the 510 is identical to the 450 spec wise and IMS has a larger tank for the little bike now too. I figure to rejet the pilot, slap in a slipper clutch and go to a taller final drive ratio and I'd be pretty much set for city and track hooning! :thumbup:

My old SRX still is the hardest bike I've ever had to start. I literally broke the kick start lever in half one night in front of the local hang. 13.5:1 compression piston. Woot woot. :D My brother is currently café-ing the thing out with a hand lain boat tail rear end and a Dunstal fairing. To this day, that old SRX is the quickest thumper I've ever ridden.

#10 ·
510 Supermoto?

The latest Cycle News has a cover article about the '05 Husky TE and TC thumpers - 250, 450, and 510. They liked them all, and said the 510 felt much stronger (sometimes too strong in the dirt) than the 450. It has the same bore, but a longer stroke. I don't know about the SMs, but the dirt bikes now come with kick starters in addition to electric - even the motocrossers.

#11 ·
asg21 said:
The latest Cycle News has a cover article about the '05 Husky TE and TC thumpers - 250, 450, and 510. They liked them all, and said the 510 felt much stronger (sometimes too strong in the dirt) than the 450. It has the same bore, but a longer stroke. I don't know about the SMs, but the dirt bikes now come with kick starters in addition to electric - even the motocrossers.
Did they say anything about the topend of the 510s powerband?

#12 ·
How much are one of these going for? and what do you think the chances are to title it? Damn they are sweet looking. :bowdown:

Just got off the phone with the local dealer and the 510 is suppose to go for 7299 he also said there is a good chance the titles will not be stamped "off road use only" like most of the 2004. If that is the case it would be pretty easy to plate of you can just go with the 610 which is coming street legal :clap: It is alittle to big for my taste since I want to run it on a kart track. Hmm....decisions I might have to get rid of the dale in the spring time.

#13 ·
Jolly705 said:
How much are one of these going for? and what do you think the chances are to title it? Damn they are sweet looking. :bowdown:

Just got off the phone with the local dealer and the 510 is suppose to go for 7299 he also said there is a good chance the titles will not be stamped "off road use only" like most of the 2004. If that is the case it would be pretty easy to plate of you can just go with the 610 which is coming street legal :clap: It is alittle to big for my taste since I want to run it on a kart track. Hmm....decisions I might have to get rid of the dale in the spring time.
I don't know what the SM510R is going for yet but a couple of months ago my dealer was willing to sell me a SM450R for $5700(ish) and i expect the price for the 510 to be in the same range.

Basically I'm waiting to hear from my dealer when he gets more info from the Husky rep. who hasn't returned my dealer's calls.

In Minnesota I shouldn't have a problem getting a plate as long as the title isn't stamped "for offroad competition use only." My dealer understands that I have every intention of city hooning as well as track use so I don't think getting plate will be a problem because we won't have a deal if I cannot get a plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.