SuperMoto Junkie banner

07 Aprilia SXV550 HELP

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rawlins87 
#1 ·
Im in contact to trade my 600rr for a SXV550. The guy that has it doesnt know much about it, says its an 07 with an 08 motor. Doesn't know when the motor was put in, or the last time to valves were checked. Here are my questions...

Is there a way to tell its an 08 motor? Block number/castings?
What is the oil change/valve intervals?
How miles do you guys have on your 550s?
Any other common problems and items that need addressed?

Last and most important, I already has a DRZ for reliablity and its kinda nice to have the RR in case i need to get somewhere quick.... Should i trade?

#4 ·
Look for the black sealant between the cases. It could also be an 07 motor that was resealed. That's not a bad thing as long as it was done correctly. You should spend a little time on apriliaforum those guys could really help. There is a thread about engine numbers if you search that could tell you exactly what you're looking at. I have an 07 450 that has been resealed with 1800 miles and it rips. I do have to say it is crappy changing the oil every 300 miles. I ride dirt bikes and i'm used to oil changes so it doesn't bother me. Also I believe the first valve adjustment is at about 5000 miles, not bad but you have to drop the motor to do it

#5 · (Edited)
I wouldnt trade if i was you. He could have spent BIG money for the motor swap if he is telling the truth. He could be pulling a fast one by changing the case seals. Its either win big or lose big with that thing. I would let him sell it to a friend that knows where to find him later on.

Keep the RR for speed/long rides and the drz for fun/reliability.

There is no such thing as 5000 miles on valve adjustments for an Aprilla. Its more like 500 when riding "hard", and you DO have to drop the whole motor. The Husky is the easiest of all four strokes to adjust the valves on.

Dont fuck up something that works for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.