SuperMoto Junkie banner

Electrical Problems

464 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Xrtoecutter 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been running my lights off AC through the external stator into the AC/regulator. It worked just fine, but now I just need to run a battery so i have lights for a few minutes after the bike is off.

So i wired everything up, and cooked my battery in about 5 minutes. Well I never used a rectifier/regulator to convert ac/dc.( lesson learned)

Got a new battery and a rectifier/regulator, wired it all up. Took the bike for a blast, and the lights got dimmer and dimmer and just died. Tested the voltage coming out from the rectifier, was awfully low about 11. Tested the battery, it was totally dead after the short ride.. Which tells me the lights were running off it but the low voltage coming from the rectifier wasn't enough to charge the battery( needs 14.4v)

So i got frustrated and just wanted to ride, I cut out the battery and rectifier and hard wired everything back. It worked perfectly, so I was out riding and of course all the lights died instantly.

So I have come down to 2 possible issues neither of which I found anything doing web searches.

1) My stator is junk(Baja designs 180watt) I get around 11-12VAC at idle and upwards of 15VAC with a bit of revving. I couldn't find anything to compare it with or any hard numbers from them. If anyone know the acceptable VAC ranges that would be great:thumbup:

2) The way its wired...... As it stands right now ( the stator has three wires yellow,yellow, pink) I have one yellow not in use, Another yellow that runs to the AC/REGULATOR and the pink is grounded to the ignition coil. Two wires that come out of the AC/REGULATOR one yellow and one brown, I have the brown grounded to the Ignition coil. The yellow wire is then tied into the RECTIFIER/REGULATOR. Then into the battery and into the rest of the lights.

So really I'm unsure about the AC/REGULATOR and if I even need to use with the new RECTIFIER/REGULATOR. The AC regulator is just to prevent surges but the new rectifier converts AC to DC and in the process should prevent AC surges correct? Could it be the AC/regulator giving me low voltage after the RECTIFIER and why the battery isn't charging?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.